Anyone wish station exclucive weapons had more durability?

(Disclaimer: when I mean station excusive weapons, I mean weapons you need to go back to the station to craft again. Something like a dark sword wouldn't fit into the category, since while it does need a shadow manip to make, you only need to do so once.)

Something I always wished was better about endgame was station exclusive weapon choice. The conventional weapons (dark swords, hambats, and even the morning star) usually might do lower damage (or have niche higher damage), but are easier to carry around since you can make them anywhere once you know the recipe. The problem with station weapons is their durability, and their durability is really low by the time you get them.

To give a good example of this, the thulecite club was recently buffed to 200 uses. Even with the buff, you are still highly unlikely to get through a boss fight without using 2+ clubs total. Combined with how much time it takes to go all the way to the ruins to stockpile clubs (not factoring in the costs, either), I really don't want a weapon for a boss that's going to break in under 2 minutes of use. The cutter is worse in this aspect, as it has 75 uses against non shadows, meaning they will bust fast against any boss that isn't the fuelweaver or the shadow pieces, and even then is only subpar to using dark swords, which are easily craftable anywhere.

On the flip side, I really like the obsidian spear in SW, which is also a station exclusive craft. Part of the reason is because of it's huge durability. It has 375 uses total, and combined with DS HP pools means the weapon will last much longer and potentially even rival the full damage potential of something like a hambat if it's not being constantly used. It also doesn't feel like a hassle bulk making the weapon, as a stockpile of spears lasts a significant amount of time, even if you are using them frequently.

I do think the easiest way to make these weapons seem more tempting is to give them more durability. Having the club raised up to 375 uses, for instance, would make me feel confident I can get through most daily hassles without needing to carry extras, and would make it so bringing 2 total would make it so I could reliably kill any boss with them, with the exception of toadstool. Considering it is an ancient craft, I do think the extra durability would be justified, especially since the other armor pieces also have significant amounts of durability and you can potentially reduce the amount lost depending on how skilled you are, unlike how you will constantly swing a weapon.

The cutter is in a bit more of a difficult spot since it's requirements are much cheaper, but I do feel like it having a durability increase would still be justified, given how a dark sword, while potentially having less, doesn't need station requirements in order to be built.

I do wonder how other people feel about this. I do think it might shift weapon variety in a more favorable view, with more people using station weapons for their power while others might use the conventional weapons for their easy portability, especially in the mid to endgame.

Am I literally still the only one who just likes using basic spears? And it’s not that I don’t know how to make better Weapons.. it’s that literally ALL of my best skins are for the basic spear.

if some of these higher tier crafts had as much skin variety as the Spear, I might would actually feel like they’re worth using.

Because for me- The way my character looks is just as important as the class of item they’re holding.

Its LITERALLY how Battle Royale games like Apex Legends makes all their revenue.. if your not playing to unlock skins... what ARE you playing for?

And in that regard- If they buff the weapons you suggest- They had also best give them more skin options.

Case in point- I love some of the newer skins for Marble And Shadow Armor, I use those more often now because I can look nice while having better armor then grass suit.

But ultimately yes I agree that weaker durability weapons need buffs, and Klei has been listening to those feedbacks & updating/improving them with QoL updates.

If there was to be a QoL update #3 this is the type of stuff I would expect to see.

I am finding that as Wolfgang, if I eat spiced Volt-Goat Chaud-Froid and don't make many mistakes, then a glass cutter is good for two FW fights. That's huge. Add to that the fact that it has no sanity cost and is cheap (especially after the Forgotten Knowledge update), and I don't think that it needs any buffs.

Thulecite club, I am less sure about. I do confess that outside of pubs with just one MacTusk, I do not really make thulecite clubs. In other words, to me they have more value as speed boosters than as weapons. If I were to boost it, then I would welcome a speed boost more than a damage boost.

26 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

ah yes, let's compare a battle royale to a survival game.

You would maybe have a valid point IF Skins and Skin Sales was not literally the only thing beyond the purchase cost of the game itself, that Klei makes revenue off of for this game.

You can’t count physical products like funko pop or plushie toys- even though again the reward for buying those is a code for an in game skin.

The only profit Klei continues to make off of DST is from people like me buying In-game skins.

And the way I see it- The more skins that are available the more choices I have on what to spend my money on.

so yes your darn straight I just compared a survival game to a battle royale.

Need Better examples? State of Decay 2 pre-order bundles, Friday the 13th DLC packs, Ark Survival Evolved Seasons Pass & DLC Skin sets.

My point is: If Klei is going to make people use weapons that are mostly poor (hence why OP is asking for buffs to them in the first place) Then they should Offer new SKINS for Them WHEN they Buff them.

53 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Am I literally still the only one who just likes using basic spears? And it’s not that I don’t know how to make better Weapons.. it’s that literally ALL of my best skins are for the basic spear.

if some of these higher tier crafts had as much skin variety as the Spear, I might would actually feel like they’re worth using.

Because for me- The way my character looks is just as important as the class of item they’re holding.

Its LITERALLY how Battle Royale games like Apex Legends makes all their revenue.. if your not playing to unlock skins... what ARE you playing for?

And in that regard- If they buff the weapons you suggest- They had also best give them more skin options.

Case in point- I love some of the newer skins for Marble And Shadow Armor, I use those more often now because I can look nice while having better armor then grass suit.

But ultimately yes I agree that weaker durability weapons need buffs, and Klei has been listening to those feedbacks & updating/improving them with QoL updates.

If there was to be a QoL update #3 this is the type of stuff I would expect to see.

by your pic, i guess that youre a wendy main, so wouldnt dark swords be the best fit for her

3 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

(Skins make people use weapons)

People used the Dark Sword over the Spear even before it had a skin, because it was objectively better. People are using the Glass Cutter for shadow bosses even though it doesn't have a skin, but the Dark Sword and Spear both have cool skins now, so why? Because it's better in a gameplay sense.

I can agree to a certain extent that some people choose to use tools that have better skin than tools without. For example, there might be more people who use the flint pickaxe than the gold one just because of the free skin given. Normally people who choose to use weapons with higher damage and/or higher durability is due to efficiency. It is not worth it to attack a boss like klaus with a spear the entire time just because it looks nice. Especially if you are not good at kiting as more armor and healing would be used. Furthermore, if you notice using a worse pickaxe will have a lower efficiency but your life will not be in any danger whereas if you use a spear in a boss fight, the boss fight takes a longer time to finish, meaning the consistency of you kiting perfectly will also drop,which mean using more healing food/items, more weapons to clutter up ur inventory space , more armors and once all your preperation for the fight is used up, you cannot continue the fight or risk dying, or you have already died during the boss fight. 

So skins do play a part but it is mostly relevant to tools. 

Okay we have already gone very off-topic so can we stay back on topic? 

5 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

To give a good example of this, the thulecite club was recently buffed to 200 uses.

Wait, really? It's 200 now? I must have missed it, I will start using it a lot more then! (Btw, speaking of skins, I prefer the vanilla club over the skinned one, by a lot.)

In general, I like to use other station-only items, I usually craft a bunch and use them till they break, especially the glass cutter and the crow (which I also like more without a skin, heh). I'm like "let's use them as long as they are there, then get back to the more basic stuff".

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Last time I played Apex Legends playing to unlock skins was extremely ephemeral. The amount of free lootboxes containing random garbage you don't want and minute amounts of currency was extremely limited, you could only get 1 or 2 skins before having no choice except spending whatever ludicrous fee they were asking for (something like $15 or $20 per skin). Unless you're referring to the premium Battle Pass which also costs money.

11 hours ago, Maxil20 said:

The cutter is worse in this aspect, as it has 75 uses against non shadows, meaning they will bust fast against any boss that isn't the fuelweaver or the shadow pieces, and even then is only subpar to using dark swords, which are easily craftable anywhere.

Cutter isn't designed to fight anything except shadows. I don't think it needs to be buffed, there's nothing wrong with a niche weapon.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

1- Apex Legend BP.

2- Glass Cutter isn't designed to fight anything except shadows. I don't think it needs to be buffed, there's nothing wrong with a niche weapon.

1- BP was free on EA Access so its always been free to me each season.

2- Yeah your totally right, but I still feel like something named Glass Cutter should be more effective at mining Glass Resources faster than any other tool (and maybe even with Infinite Durability while being used to Mine the Glass?)

I’m no game designer so I don’t know what Nerfs/buffs I suggest would end up completely breaking Klei’s game.. however I have noticed they tend to address buffing weapons in QoL patches when players mention them enough- And So if I can provide any input whatsoever in making the item better.

I would like for it to be effective at Mining Glass, and to also have new skins available when they Buff it.

(1-As much as SOME people hate the idea of skins it’s still what is funding the lovely little updates we all keep getting. And.. 2- If there was a new skin set added for items Klei buffs in QoL update it would do its intended job of drawing Attention towards the skin- And thus also drawing attention towards the Weapon/Item the skin is for.)

I see it as a Win all the way round.

14 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

3 hours ago, Scrimbles said:

I thought people played to be miserable and stressed :(

Nah it is to remind themselves that the games is called don't starve together, a multiplayer game that is supposed to be together with friends and not starve but then remember the harsh reality that you do not have any friends to play and then suffer and cry in misery and look for Charlie to be your friend. 

Why's this thread just turning into being mean to Mike? Is it suddenly some kind of controversial statement to say you prefer using items that you enjoy aesthetically?? Like, the comment about spears and skins and such is certainly off topic, but going "no you're the only one who does this ever, here is my reaction gif to own you to death" is just rude and doesn't seem to be coming from a good place at all. Personally I can really relate to the whole thing about using items more because of preferring how they look, like how I wear a shark tooth crown over a tam in DS, or how I have a friend who wears fashion goggles or a rain hat most all the time in DST. I've also considered using marble suits lately just because of how much I like the look of the marble suit skin added with Wigfrid's rework, and I probably would be already if my gameplay lately involved combat at all.

If y'all actually have an issue with someone saying they prefer using items that they like aesthetically then that's cool, and you can express that, but I don't get that vibe from most of these responses at all.

8 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Why's this thread just turning into being mean to Mike? Is it suddenly some kind of controversial statement to say you prefer using items that you enjoy aesthetically?? Like, the comment about spears and skins and such is certainly off topic, but going "no you're the only one who does this ever, here is my reaction gif to own you to death" is just rude and doesn't seem to be coming from a good place at all.

thumb_i-dont-know-i-never-thought-itd-get-this-far-21571542.png.ebca8c25141c554517c22b8ba83c82b6.png

Going back on topic, although most likely, most of us would wish that station exclusive items last longer than it kinda defeats its own purpose. As it would mean we most likely bring our bundle wraps /gift wraps and stockpile many of the station exclusive items then come back after 500 days or more and by that time you might not be playing on the world anymore. I feel that the purpose of the exclusive crafting station that the developers add is to make you constantly come back to it. 

However, if you notice at the exculsive crafting station area, the main point is not the crafting station but the raw resources. For example the ruins to get gears, gems, lichen, nightmare fuel(easy to get), maybe bananas and gold (in the form of marbles and wires to be traded to pig king) are the reason people keep coming back and also the boss drops. 

Furthermore, at the lunar crafting station the area although only exclusive points are stonefruits and stonefruit treeswhich you steal it from the area, kelp, anenemy and a good enviroment for a wicker to make a krampus farm. Although it may still not look as attractive as the ruins now but the developers are planning an update which after linking the three lunar altar, they will probably introduce more resources that we can capitalise on and exploit making it more attractive in the future. We know they are gonna do the Update due to the yellow and black tape that wrap around the Mysterious Energy. 

I agree completely, the station weapons not only are in an awkward place to make, but also consume a lot of materials and/or time (depending on which weapon) to make good use of it. Making them not worth it for most scenarios.

18 hours ago, Majestix said:

am finding that as Wolfgang, if I eat spiced Volt-Goat Chaud-Froid and don't make many mistakes, then a glass cutter is good for two FW fights. That's huge. Add to that the fact that it has no sanity cost and is cheap (especially after the Forgotten Knowledge update), and I don't think that it needs any buffs.

While this is certainly impressive, I disagree completely that this is a testament to the balance of the glass cutter, but rather a testament to the absurdity of the Wolfgang + Chaud-Froid combo. The glass cutter should be balanced around all the players that could use them, not just wolfgang.

As a side note, considering the fact that the fight will be over in a few swings (>=75? if your glass cutter lasts for two FW fights?) the drain from a dark sword in this case is not going to be as prevalent due to the weapon being held for a shorter period of time. It would be easier to get a couple extra cactus (yes, a couple, considering the short fight) instead of having to boat your way to the island just to get a glass cutter. Not saying that the glass cutter route is a bad strategy though (while inefficient in quick games, you can do whatever you want in a long-run game), but I am saying it isn't enough to consider balanced in any shape or form.

One thing the glass cutter does have going for it is that it's relatively cheap compared to other weapons. Allowing you to craft multiple on your run to the lunar island instead of just one or two like you would craft thulecite clubs.

BUT this has the issue of inventory cluttering, which REALLY not good and usually just ends up being a hassle (tedious) more than anything.

A solution may be to not only significantly increase the durability of the cutter, but also increase the material cost by upping the moon glass count. Just an idea, I'm sure certain ppl will have a fit at the idea of the material cost going up.

But as it stands now, I would not consider it balanced at all (in the weak way), especially for a lategame weapon. At the moment, the glass cutter sits in a role of a severely inefficient niche item. At least, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, WoodieMain45684 said:

While this is certainly impressive, I disagree completely that this is a testament to the balance of the glass cutter, but rather a testament to the absurdity of the Wolfgang + Chaud-Froid combo. The glass cutter should be balanced around all the players that could use them, not just wolfgang.

...Not saying that the glass cutter route is a bad strategy though (while inefficient in quick games, you can do whatever you want in a long-run game), but I am saying it isn't enough to consider balanced in any shape or form.

...BUT this has the issue of inventory cluttering, which REALLY not good and usually just ends up being a hassle (tedious) more than anything.

I am sorry, but none of these argument hold any water.

Regarding Wolfgang vs other characters: you can do the maths yourself. Every normal character, after eating spiced VG chaud-froid, can kill the FW with one glass cutter. This eliminates the need to juggle weapons during the fight. Less weapon juggling, less sanity management, in a fight that already demands a fair bit of multitasking, what's not to like?

The argument around this being inefficient in quick games is also a non-argument. There is absolutely no reason to balance hard-to-get non-prototypable items around quick games. For longer games, the fact that it is worth getting the item means that it is "balanced", whatever else that word is supposed to mean.

Re inventory cluttering: if you struggle with inventory so much, just drop the items you are bringing back haphazardly onto the boat. No need to carry them around with you. Personally, the first time I go to the lunar island, I will get 4 axes for misery toadstool (one bundle wrap) and 4 cutters (one more bundle wrap). I do not experience the inventory cluttering that you are referring to, and I don't really understand how one could, unless one refuses to drop items onto the boat and to use bundle wraps and insists on carrying everything in single items on one's person. Even if I clear the ruins and kill the FW every single summer (which I do not), then with Wolfgang this is a once in 560 days time investment (although it will now be even less frequent, because with the new update it is easy to craft many more cutters per visit). To me that's a no-brainer in view of the advantages mentioned above; especially given that I will definitely assemble the altar for the glass axes anyway (I used to solo misery toadstool without glass axes and without honey crystals; that required a lot of material, and I do not shed a tear when saying goodbye to that fight).

the thing is to craft a bunch and bring them to the base to use them arround the year

thulecite club is already cheap for the dps/durability it has and glass cutter is a good cheap way of keep living logs in case you are low of these and also having the same dps as a dark swork with no downside is pretty strong

i will not dissagree to make them more expensive with huge durability

Archived