[Poll] On the Forgotten Knowledge Update, Postmortem

disable's disable was disabled!  

114 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Forgotten Knowledge beta?

• Very Satisfied
    • Satisfied
    • Unsatisfied
    • Very Unsatisfied
    • I have no strong feelings regarding the update
  2. 2. What is the most fleshed-out, though-of part of the update for you?

• The Lunar Grotto biome, its content and creatures.
    • The Ancient Archive biome, its content and creatures.
    • The ability to retroactively enable caves.
    • The new lore, and the new interactions between the forces of the Moon and the Nightmares..
    • The reappearance of Charlie in a short.
    • The Terra Firma Tamper and being finally able to craft turf.
    • The foreshadowing of new content present ingame.
    • Other (do mention in the comments!)
  3. 3. If you answered "Very Satisfied/Satisfied", why so?

• The update adds fresh, interesting content to play with.
    • The update brought lots of needed aesthetics to DST
    • The update brought lots of needed mechanical changes to DST
    • The update added new, interesting and vital pieces of lore.
    • I voted "Very Unsatisfied/Unsatisfied".
    • I voted "No stong feelings."
  4. 4. If you answered "Very Unsatisfied/Unsatisfied", why so?

• The update adds bland, uninteresting content.
    • The update brought lots of unneeded aesthetics to DST
    • The update brought lots of unneeded mechanical changes to DST
    • The update added unimportant/irrelevant pieces of lore.
    • I voted ""Very Satisfied/Satisfied"
    • I voted "No strong feelings."

It provided lore. Lore can make content. Content can make the game more fun. 

Plus there's my hope that the new end-game areas brought on by this will be incredibly difficult because of all the hurdles they've established to get to it. I.E. Get to ruins, Get Iridescent Gem, Kill Crab King, know where the Lunar Island is, Celestial Detect the third Altar.

16 minutes ago, Wumpus the 19th said:

It provided lore. Lore can make content. Content can make the game more fun. 

Plus there's my hope that the new end-game areas brought on by this will be incredibly difficult because of all the hurdles they've established to get to it. I.E. Get to ruins, Get Iridescent Gem, Kill Crab King, know where the Lunar Island is, Celestial Detect the third Altar.

And we don't know yet if the fuelweaver's journey will have a role at the end, like having some specific items in order to help us.

The update is not out on Xbox yet, however thanks to things like Datamine Thread existing, I can get a fairly detailed look at what I am in store for when the update does drop.

And with that said- I love the look of Naked Molebat, it’s spooky looking.. but not TOO Spooky looking, I also like the look of Mushgnome, and the new firefly like bug that flies upside down lol.. the Little Roomba Moth thing that creates Thelucites looks and sounds absolutely adorable.

(I’m the advocate for all things spooky, but I sometimes like cute and adorable/ warm a fuzzy too.) 

The Archives Library looks like a pretty place, (it’s probably not..) but that’s not going to stop me from still trying to build base there.

I loved the animated short too!! Charlie!, the underground Waterfalls are neat, I would totally base near those.

To top that off, this update launched alongside my favorite time of year Hallowed Nights!

So not only do we have a bunch of new mobs and biomes & content in the game, but we ALSO got New Spooky Month skins, and as the Cherry on top- I can finally buy the Creepy Cauldron that I’ve been hoping to luck up on getting for forever, my luck is awful so I’m just going to buy it directly, mostly because I can now.. and because the update Klei put out this time was so big and full of content this time that I feel they deserve my support.

—————————————

The TL:DR- If you look at the Update in its entirety Forgotten Knowledge And Hallowed Nights- Then we got NEW Character Skins, NEW Belongings Skins, NEW Twitch Drop, NEW Mobs, NEW Biomes, NEW craftables, NEW Gamelore.

I don’t think there’s anything else Klei could’ve done to make the update any better..

10 of 10 on this update Klei.. and I haven’t even got to try it yet!

And now.. I’ll leave this on everyone’s mind- Klei said the November update will be big.. This one felt “big” to me adding several new mobs and biomes & new lore, what on earth could be considered as a “big” update then?!?!

overall i think the update was really good, im hoping we'll get more distilled knowledge recipes in the future cuz an entire biome/intricate puzzle for 3 recipes seems kinda silly. besides that, as a Wormwood main-ish i was also disappointed that there isnt more to the Mush Gnome, its just there to be killed for living logs..

im just desperate for Wormwood's "plants relate to him" perk to actually mean something in DST... :wilson_cry:

I do find it weird that after all of those ruins diving and the large puzzle for "forgotten knowledge", it just turns out to be a crafting station for... Forest turf...

In my opinion, it just seems... Out of place? Like why would the ancients be hiding how to craft forest turf?

From a game mechanic view tho, it's amazing that we can finally craft rocky turf and other non-renewable turfs. But from a lore perspective, I don't really understand it

15 minutes ago, DarkPulse91 said:

In my opinion, it just seems... Out of place? Like why would the ancients be hiding how to craft forest turf?

Why do you think they're hiding it? I just think it was forgotten, hence the name of the update. If you're talking about the recipes being in the distilled knowledge I dont really see that as hidden. I think the distilled knowledge is just a form of storage. The human equivalent would be a computer drive, you just need to find the right tools to unlocking/accessing that knowledge/data(In our case, plugging the drive into a computer)

I wouldn't mind some more impressive recipes being added to the Archive, but other than that—phenomenal update.

Turf Crafter is neat for aesthetic purposes.
Collected Dust is means of acquiring Thulecite w/o reseting Ruins.
Astral Detector leads to the Sanctum pieces which is useless on it's own.

A semi-simple solution, imo, is having each of the Celesial [Pillars] have access to different Lunar recipes. That way they aren't fundamentally useless while the basic Altar is so easy to acquire.

Celestial Orb has hardly any recipes (like now).
Celestial Altar has decent recipes.
Celestial Sanctum has good recipes.
Celestial Tribute has great recipes.

And then of course whatever the Mysterious Energy is meant to do.

Lots of cool art and sound and design wasted on dirt.

Disappointing reveal of Thulecites origin, which is acknowledged by Klei through character quotes, which isn't a good excuse.

Why would they use all this new interesting stuff as a means to unlock useless turf tiles? We have been able to do that for over half a decade with mods, without wasting so much time and effort into making a basic crafting tab.

Just more optional, unimpactful guff. Just like every non QoL update. People seem to be okay with flashy art and keys rattling, and passing it off as a good update, so **** me apparently.

23 minutes ago, FrozenMountan said:

Dude, look on the bright side, klei has updated something about the caves.  

Not just that.. but also Mushgnome provide an excellent way to get living logs if you do not have a Wormwood on your team or aren’t good at fighting treeguards for them or don’t want to chop down totally normal trees..  these updates keep adding passive ways to obtain harder to get items- I just mentioned in another thread about how boat masts can be placed on dry land.. why do you think Klei let us do that?

flag decorations, and easier to craft street lamps then the Mushlight.

I HOPE that Klei will add an easier to obtain way to obtain Larvae (the ingredient required in crafting a totally useless Critters Den creature that can only be obtained CURRENTLY by fighting Dragonfly boss..)

When Wigfrid got her refresh I starved a lot trying to play as her because I simply couldn’t find any reliable food sources for long LONG stretches of land Mid-Winter all the ponds frozen over and the penguins I kill not dropping meats and meanwhile.. all that time I had completely forgotten one guaranteed Meat source I had neglected to even think about- SEA FISHING.

You can NOW also use Batwings as crockpot recipes so the long story cut short: Klei is focusing on making the game easier to do certain things, while at the same time providing us with new stuff to see, explore and do.

And for anyone NOT Happy with forgotten knowledge/Hallowed Nights update I can only assume that you’ve been spoiled by what Mods can do.

Because from MY perspective- We got new Character skins, new Belongings skins, new Biomes, new Mobs, new craftable items, a new animated short and new game lore.

Exactly everything you could possibly ask for in an update.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Not just that.. but also Mushgnome provide an excellent way to get living logs if you do not have a Wormwood on your team or aren’t good at fighting treeguards for them or don’t want to chop down totally normal trees..  these updates keep adding passive ways to obtain harder to get items- I just mentioned in another thread about how boat masts can be placed on dry land.. why do you think Klei let us do that?

flag decorations, and easier to craft street lamps then the Mushlight.

I HOPE that Klei will add an easier to obtain way to obtain Larvae (the ingredient required in crafting a totally useless Critters Den creature that can only be obtained CURRENTLY by fighting Dragonfly boss..)

When Wigfrid got her refresh I starved a lot trying to play as her because I simply couldn’t find any reliable food sources for long LONG stretches of land Mid-Winter all the ponds frozen over and the penguins I kill not dropping meats and meanwhile.. all that time I had completely forgotten one guaranteed Meat source I had neglected to even think about- SEA FISHING.

You can NOW also use Batwings as crockpot recipes so the long story cut short: Klei is focusing on making the game easier to do certain things, while at the same time providing us with new stuff to see, explore and do.

And for anyone NOT Happy with forgotten knowledge/Hallowed Nights update I can only assume that you’ve been spoiled by what Mods can do.

Because from MY perspective- We got new Character skins, new Belongings skins, new Biomes, new Mobs, new craftable items, a new animated short and new game lore.

Exactly everything you could possibly ask for in an update.

Ugh.

1 hour ago, Scrimbles said:

Disappointing reveal of Thulecites origin, which is acknowledged by Klei through character quotes, which isn't a good excuse.

your opinion. Mine is that is fun to see th real origin from another "non epic" thing that rather show it as a cliche

Why would they use all this new interesting stuff as a means to unlock useless turf tiles? We have been able to do that for over half a decade with mods, without wasting so much time and effort into making a basic crafting tab.

scrub non pc players

Just more optional, unimpactful guff. Just like every non QoL update. People seem to be okay with flashy art and keys rattling, and passing it off as a good update, so **** me apparently.

we get a new way without rng to farm living logs, a nice fount of light and a way to farm thulecite without killing fw over and over and over and over and repeating the same ruins over and over and over

a new recipe to future stuff and fighting bearger outside of autumn and another recipe to dont be food dependent when you want to simply be building or in the boat

but i guess you come to say **** like in every patch. I would like to see your reaction if someone critics your mod

Disappointing reveal of Thulecites origin

you sound just like those medieval or whatever europeans when they found out precious chinese silk was actually made by moth caterpillars :lol:. i personally find it very fitting and cute and im inclined to think klei took inspiration from precisely the silk moth 

3 minutes ago, Ohan said:

you sound just like those medieval or whatever europeans when they found out precious chinese silk was actually made by moth caterpillars :lol:. i personally find it very fitting and cute and im inclined to think klei took inspiration from precisely the silk moth 

i guess people dont get that dont starve is a game full with silly things and puns so maybe they expected something with more testosterone like being the blood of ancient bug warriors or the deathbabies of their foes when as you said, is just a material that they used and produce by an organic being like a lot of other human materials

29 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

scrub non pc players

we get a new way without rng to farm living logs, a nice fount of light and a way to farm thulecite without killing fw over and over and over and over and repeating the same ruins over and over and over

a new recipe to future stuff and fighting bearger outside of autumn and another recipe to dont be food dependent when you want to simply be building or in the boat

but i guess you come to say **** like in every patch. I would like to see your reaction if someone critics your mod

We got easier gameplay and a overly complicated way to make turf when it had no reason to be.

Living logs can now be farmed from a pathetically easy to kill passive mob that offers no real threat.

Thulecite now has a very slow and inefficient new farming method.

Ita not about "JUST USE MODS" its about the wasted effort for a reward that should already be a standard part of the default crafting list.

And if someone critiques Uncomp, I listen, question, discuss, and learn. I dont continue to push content that people have no interest in.

What exactly is wrong with easier gameplay? Your neglecting that in addition to this easier gameplay you got new biomes with new places to explore- I don’t expect DST to suddenly become Dark Souls levels of complicated over night...

And as much as I personally complain about and hate boss fights in this game, I know that If I just give in.. swap characters and become Wolfgang I can deal with most those bosses effortlessly by just eating foods and becoming mighty.

Theres no need for any other tactics.. because I can just use the thing that works best.

If you want harder, play on a currently unavailable harder difficulty setting, trigger some hard to do in game task, sail to more dangerous locations, or build your own mod for it. 

But don’t try to make the starting area of the game anymore difficult on players who are still trying to learn from scratch.

11 minutes ago, Scrimbles said:

We got easier gameplay and a overly complicated way to make turf when it had no reason to be.

is only useful in megabasing. Mega basing players have worlds with a lot of days, is good to have a "end game task".

Living logs can now be farmed from a pathetically easy to kill passive mob that offers no real threat.

like tree guards are difficult to kill... This ones can stunlock you if you miss and they are in a dangerous place

Thulecite now has a very slow and inefficient new farming method.

with this one you are right.1 thulecite after 6 min waiting is bad but for a crown you only need 2

And if someone critiques Uncomp, I listen, question, discuss, and learn. I dont continue to push content that people have no interest in.

is good that you listen. I have interest in """pushed""" content, maybe im the only one

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

What exactly is wrong with easier gameplay?

kills the essence of dont starve. Changes like batilisk wings or op characters like wendy or without downside like woodie are the wrong way imo

Archived