What do you want in DST the most?

Is this a trick question?? You ask what is the one thing in the game we want most, if it’s already in the game.. why would we still want it? :D 

*Jokes*

Okay serious answer- what I want is new Islands with new hazards unique to that particular area of the game, and new mobs inhabiting those areas.

A lot of people get confused when I say “Island” thinking I mean a small area of land, when “Technically” any area no matter how big or small that is completely surrounded by a body of water could be considered an “Island” 

So think.. Large Scale update here- New Island, with several different New Biomes and new Mobs with new fighting styles and gameplay features.

(To give you a rough idea.. picture in your head the whole starting area of the game with the Savannah, mosaic, Dragonfly biome, Swamp biome Etc.... NOW picture in your head that there is an area out across the ocean somewhere that is just as big and content rich as THAT except entirely Lunar Moon beings)

With each update Klei has given us a boat and more and more structures/upgrades FOR that boat... but they haven’t really given us any real REASON to want to build a boat and go sailing...

Which is exactly why I want them to give me a REASON to sail.. new lands, new mobs, new biomes, new weather unique to those new biomes. 

they’ve already experimented with giving an island its own effect with Lunar Island and Lunacy.. 

This is a golden opportunity for DST to continue expanding its horizons with tons of amazing updates for years to come..

But only Klei knows what is and is not realistically within the realms of possibility.

To say the least- It’s what I wished like Hell all these sailing focused updates were easing up to... I have a vessel that can carry me anywhere.. to any region, with any climate effect applied to that region- Why bring back the Forge event ever at all when we can have volcanic biomes with Forge inspired creatures inhabiting them?

Its my Pipeline dream of what I want DST to become..

(Sorry if this post is a TL:DR I’m just very passionate and very hopeful about the future of this franchise.)

Balance changes and/or an overhaul for the ruins and magic tab so the items in them are buffed beyond mediocrity. Im pretty sure every single one of us haven't touched 80% of the magic tab beyond one or two times, and the ruins gear like Thulecite Club, Thulecite Suit, and the Lazy Forager have such niche uses that it's better to use the resources needed to craft cheaper alternatives.

I dont even NEED to go into detail on the Night Light. Oh, the Night Light... You poor thing...

If we're *not* talking about balance changes, that I'd want Walani, I guess.

Well first of all--basically what Mike said.  I loves me some biomes, and climate diversity, etc.  That's why I keep doing stuff like putting the Cherry Forest into my worlds and making the seasons randomised.  (Also occasionally the sugarwood biome, and the desert world, and IF it still worked, multilands/megarandom.)  I've always thought it would be AMAZING to have a blended world where one could, say, live in the ROG style while on the mainland, but then the coasts were sandy and once you sail away from them, when you hit islands the _Shipwrecked_ climate, biomes, and mobs would kick in.  (And the seasons would match up, in case you're wondering--so, if it's autumn on the mainland, the islands would be in Mild Season.)

That ain't happenin', in DST _or_ regular DS, for technical reasons--but seperate biomes constrained to stay on one island (area completely unconnected to the mainland) _in general_, MIGHT be doable.  And it'd be really interesting.  Even if, I'm pretty sure, most of them would kill me instantly because I suck.  : P

After that, blowGUNS, because it's always bothered me that the blow-dart _looks_ like a multi-use thing you could refill, but isn't.  And hey, that stupid MacTusk can snipe me over and over again with those damn things!  I want reuseable ranged weapons that people other than just Walter can use.  They can be expensive to make if you like. But I want 'em to exist, sans mods.

And then Walani, 'cos I like her and it REALLY bugs me that the _one_ character they brought over from Shipwrecked is the one I ALREADY didn't enjoy playing (and then they amped up the part I didn't like, even more!  It's like "We finally have Shipwrecked in DST!  "YAY!"  "It's this part."  "Oh.")  Now that we have proper oceans, give me my surfer girl!*

...Notorious

*I'm the one who does the retro music collection thingies, so I kinda had to do that.  lel.

Just some momentary "wants" from the top of my head:

●   WorldGen rework to include more options, more presets (i.e. Only-Caves), ability to customize what biomes one wants in their world, ability to have biomes separated as islands (for example AMD's Do your Map! mod offers an elegant solution to these aspects, thus seems fairly doable); likewise this vegetation overgrowning when trees are set to "less" bug (from 3 years ago!!!) should be addressed - yes, is still present to this very day - and we could do well with a complete desolation preset, so that vegetation doesn't regrow naturally for people desiring a more DS setup (you cut an entire forest without replanting or burn it? now survive your mistake, because nothing will be back without your input);

●   alternative seasons to the base 4 ones, let's say kicking in as a rotational RNG-oriented mechanic after first 2-3 in-game years; seasons' lengths should also be randomized, with even small resurgence bursts of a previous season (think after 2-3 days of spring another 1-2 days of winter resurface, same with summer-autumn); some years could be even hotter or colder in general (aka +/-[5;10]°C temperature all over Constant); floods, blizzards, hail, small sandstorms randomly on map in summer (with sandy winds visual effects on ground, not only player-vision impairment mechanic), etc;

●   seasonal weather on ocean as a much-needed variation on current "stale" waters with seasonal mobs (there was a modder some time ago proposing in a thread different aesthetic/shaped waves depending on season, however I can't seem to find that post to link it as example - that kind of Oceanic water variation would be a good start);

●   a world-wide Moon-related event perhaps like SW's Volcano mechanic, making survival harder after a certain amount of time (late-game) in Constant and forcing players to go on main Lunar Island interacting with it's cause (a route to go with this), or buckle up and live through till it subsides; maybe then we can also have a special Lunar-Cave biome located in the "innards" of the main fallen-Moon fragment;

●   more general re-balances related to "under-performing" gear/items/mechanics (Ruin gear mentioned in a previous post above, Disease mechanic, etc);

Spoiler

And if we're at the QoL re-balance chapter, bug and exploit fixes should also be addressed: like the Abyss gate exploit in Caves (should insta-kill players and will also allow the addition of a Moon Cave as late-game oriented content without people glitchy going there on day 1), the massive Krampus spawn via Blow Darts stuck on a diagonally-placed fence in relation to Glommer bug (when wall-with-darts-stuck-in-it is broken with weapon, each dart registers as an individual Krampus kill even if Glommer dies once, hence spawning Darts-Number x corresponding day-count Number Krampi), the console commands exploits in non-personal/public servers by regular players (the turf-map revealing one, the use of another character aspect via Wardrobe, etc) and many-many tiresome-many more.

●   more Survival-oriented content in late-game;

●   more mobs and Biomes in general would also be fine.

Bringing over the remaining, non-retired Shipwrecked and Hamlet characters* is my #1. Rework them as much as necessary to make them viable, balanced, and distinct, but I'd like to have them. More NPCs like Pearl and more complex interactions with existing ones like the MacTusks would be rad, as would more summer entities that reward you for interacting with them rather than punishing you for not interacting with them like the antlion. (More seasonal entities along those lines in general would be nice, but especially summer; most of the existing ones are for winter.)

I'm eager for some seafaring content that makes it rewarding to go sailing and keep sailing after you've completed Pearl's story and have enough stone fruit bushes and glass cutters to satisfy yourself, too. At least, if you're not into fishing minigames or sea bases for their own sake.

*plus Wagstaff the Technically Not A Hamlet Character But Basically A Hamlet Character

I want guns and rifles, or bows and arrows (or even Javelins or throwable spears) with proper mechanics. And yes, I know there are mods that add these, but they're so janky and often cause more issues than the content they add.

Why? Because IMO Don't Starve needs more ranged weapons that aren't over-expensive for their performance.

I don't care that much about lore but that would also be nice.

Archived