Chinese Horoscope Events

"The Chinese zodiac is a classification scheme based on the lunar calendar that assigns an animal and its reputed attributes to each year in a repeating 12-year cycle. The 12-year cycle is an approximation to the 11.85-year orbital period of Jupiter. Originating from China, the zodiac and its variations remain popular in many Asian countries, such as Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand." (Thanks Wikipedia)

zodiac-year-chart.thumb.jpg.73d4249079f47f5bef195738cffd1add.jpg

DST also features the Chinese Zodiac in events, having every year a featured animal (or monster). It all started in 2017 with the correspondant chinese animal (Rooster= Gobbler). The Varg followed, then Pig King and now (2020) Carrat (Year of the Dog, Pig and Rat respectively in the Chinese Zodiac).

Since i enjoy these thematic events so much (and particularly love the Chinese zodiac) i can only wonder if these events will continue as a tradition every year. Personally i would love it to, but i know this can be hard since there are some animals that are not yet implemented in the game, or at least i can't think of as the Zodiac counterpart (Tiger, Horse).

What in-game animals/monsters do you think can take the place in future events? Which skin ideas would you like to be implemented respecting this thematic oriented events? My wild guess is next year it might be Beefalo's year, since 2021 is the year of the Ox.

Disclaimer: never played other DS game. This is a DST thread because i do not know what other mobs can be found in Hamlet or SW and don't know if these events are also available on that games.

Ox = Beefalo    Tiger = maybe adding tiger shark to dst? or baccoons? (please add them klei)     Rabbit = bunny/bunnymen      dragon = dragonfly   snake = SW/hamlet snakes maybe?    horse = I honestly cant think of any horses      sheep = ewecus   monkey = monkey     gobbler varg pigking

For year of the beefalo maybe some fancier saddles or hair things would be cool couldnt get a better image but like when in avatar the last airbender they braided appas hair

Screen Shot 2020-07-29 at 1.16.42 PM.png

28 minutes ago, Brubs said:

"The Chinese zodiac is a classification scheme based on the lunar calendar that assigns an animal and its reputed attributes to each year in a repeating 12-year cycle. The 12-year cycle is an approximation to the 11.85-year orbital period of Jupiter. Originating from China, the zodiac and its variations remain popular in many Asian countries, such as Japan, South Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand." (Thanks Wikipedia)

zodiac-year-chart.thumb.jpg.73d4249079f47f5bef195738cffd1add.jpg

DST also features the Chinese Zodiac in events, having every year a featured animal (or monster). It all started in 2017 with the correspondant chinese animal (Rooster= Gobbler). The Varg followed, then Pig King and now (2020) Carrat (Year of the Dog, Pig and Rat respectively in the Chinese Zodiac).

Since i enjoy these thematic events so much (and particularly love the Chinese zodiac) i can only wonder if these events will continue as a tradition every year. Personally i would love it to, but i know this can be hard since there are some animals that are not yet implemented in the game, or at least i can't think of as the Zodiac counterpart (Tiger, Horse).

What in-game animals/monsters do you think can take the place in future events? Which skin ideas would you like to be implemented respecting this thematic oriented events? My wild guess is next year it might be Beefalo's year, since 2021 is the year of the Ox.

Disclaimer: never played other DS game. This is a DST thread because i do not know what other mobs can be found in Hamlet or SW and don't know if these events are also available on that games.

Well we’ve got:

Rat - Carrat

Ox - Beefalo

Tiger - Tigershark [DLC]

Rabbit - Bunnymen/Rabbits

Dragon - Dragonfly

Snake - Snakes/Vipers [DLC]

Horse - Clockwork Knights

Sheep - Ewecus

Monkey - Spelumonkeys

Rooster - Gobbler

Dog - Hounds/Vargs/Woby

Pig - Pigmen

For snakes i would say depths worms altough "Year of the depths worms" seems too long lol. For tigers i think the closest thing we have is a catcoon... i mean its a feline and it has stripes right?

24 minutes ago, 1bubbainpa said:

Ohhh yes, totally forgot about them lol. They could fit very well into the category since one of the Chinese elements it's metal and well, they are basically metal horses  :lol:.

7 minutes ago, Jurnee said:

For tigers i think the closest thing we have is a catcoon... i mean its a feline and it has stripes right?

That's actually pretty accurate lol. Can't say its impossible to happen.

7 minutes ago, minespatch said:

5ca8e56358998_noxdescription.thumb.png.c83e8e21e919daec6f071415591580b8.png

2021: Year of the Innkeeper

I suggested this last year but I’d like something along the lines of Beefalo jousting matches for Year of the Ox- it will essentially be identical to year of Carrat.. you obtain your Beefalo, you train your Beefalo to be better at their sport, and then you will do battle against either other players Beefalos.. or Clockwork Rooks as enemy A.I.or both players and rooks at the same time in a Beefalo vs Rooks or Every Man for themselves free for all.

Its pretty much just “Beefalo Bumper Cars” or Destruction Derby.. you charge head first into your enemy dealing damage to them.. and they will have a health bar, when it is depleted your Beefalo bucks you off and passes out Pokémon K’O Style... and your Eliminated from the current Bout.

5 hours ago, 1bubbainpa said:

Well we’ve got:

Rat - Carrat

Ox - Beefalo

Tiger - Tigershark [DLC]

Rabbit - Bunnymen/Rabbits

Dragon - Dragonfly

Snake - Snakes/Vipers [DLC]

Sheep - Ewecus

Monkey - Spelumonkeys

Rooster - Gobbler

Dog - Hounds/Vargs/Woby

Pig - Pigmen

You should also account for the fact they might not even make the event for an existing mob, Like Yotc, they could just add a new mob we've never seen before the event officially begins.

8 hours ago, TheHollowKnight said:

horse = I honestly cant think of any horses      sheep = ewecus   monkey = monkey

Horse would probably be clockwork knight or a new mob. Although i think Splumonkeys are unlikely since caves aren't in every world, so it would be limited to many players.

1 hour ago, Blue Moth said:

Horse would probably be clockwork knight or a new mob. Although i think Splumonkeys are unlikely since caves aren't in every world, so it would be limited to many players.

That is true however, theres still 8 years left for Year of the Monkey so i guess we still have time to receive new mobs or changes :lol:

I too hope they keep doing this.  Not only because they haven't gotten to my Zodiac animal yet, but because it's awesome in general.

I is a tigar.

I is looking forward to kitties, of whatever kind. :)

It could be a Tigershark or a whole new thing, but I'm kinda hoping for Year of the Catcoon.  They're SO FRIGGIN' CUTE, and maybe we could get a new kittykit skin, the same way we got new vargling ones for the Year of the Varg?  I dunno.  Just tossin' out random ideas here.

...Notorious

47 minutes ago, BezKa said:

Ox makes me think about volt goat more. But beefalo has some nice possibilities

Crossing my fingers we'll find out what a Nox looks like when that year happens. They've been hinting that species in both the trade inn and Forge.

1 hour ago, minespatch said:

Crossing my fingers we'll find out what a Nox looks like when that year happens. They've been hinting that species in both the trade inn and Forge.

I don't want to discourage any thoughts, but i think the Nox will remain as an unseen character. It is quite hillarious to imagine how it would look, but we still never had an accurate hint of what it looks like. This resource is used in many characters so people can only speculate and use their imagination.

Im pretty confident if this trend continues, next year is going to be Beefalo. He is way too iconic to not be featured on this events. But oh well, this is all pure speculations so i guess anything can happen

Its sorta confirmed Year of the Ox is gonna be Beefalo.

Iirc, it was confirmed the the carrat riding on Beefalos is supposed to be a nod/reference to the story of the Great Race in chinese mythology where the rat would ride on the Ox's back and hop at the last second to get first place. So it's pretty dang likely Year of the Ox is Year of the Beefalo.

On 7/30/2020 at 12:30 AM, WhackE said:

You should also account for the fact they might not even make the event for an existing mob, Like Yotc, they could just add a new mob we've never seen before the event officially begins.

Tiger could be Catcoons and dragon is probably the salamander from moon island (released at the same time as the carrat).

On 8/2/2020 at 1:48 AM, TheGoldenDonut_ said:

2023 will be the best year for DST, cuz thats when year of the bunnyman will be (if it is year of the rabbit instead I'm gonna put a hole through my screen).

Minor tidbit: In Vietnam, the 4th Zodiac is the Cat, not Rabbit, so there might be a slim chance that Klei might throw a curve ball and make 2023 Year of the Catcoon ( and you can also throw a punch at the screen too :D )

There's also a minor story along with the Cat in the zodiac too: In the race to the Heaven, the Cat (4th place) saw the Rat leap out from the Ox to claim the 1st place for itself. The Ox and the Tiger are not bothered by this, but the Cat got absolute livid. And so it swore to forever chase the Rat and become its mortal enemy.

Archived