[Game Update] Summer Patch Available Now! - 419840

• Developer

update image.png

Hi friends!

Can you believe Summer is here already? This Spring has really flown by! And now it's time for another patch. 

This update features fixes for some nasty heat creation/deletion issues as well as a fix for the "stuck digging forever" bug that's plagued us for years. More overlays are supported in the color blind modes, as well as a Storage-Compactor-full of other small fixes.

The team has been mostly focused on DLC development (have you seen the new roadmap?), but we still want to make sure that the released version of the game keeps improving. We couldn’t do that without all the help you give us by reporting bugs and providing feedback, so please keep it coming!

As always, thank you all so much for your support and excitement. It's so encouraging to us to see everyone collaborating on complex designs, helping each other solve the smallest and largest problems, and continuing to dream about the future of this game together with us!

Features and New Improvements

• Color blind modes improvement:
    • Crop Overlay now supports alternate color sets
    • Power Overlay now supports alternate color sets, and "Generator" icons are brighter for each mode
    • Rooms Overlay now supports alternate color sets. There are too many colors used in this mode to effectively find excellent colours for each mode, so colors have been chosen to focus on making the most common rooms feel distinct from one another
    • Germ Overlay now supports alternate color sets
    • Harvest Tool Overlay now supports alternate color sets
    • Temperature Overlay and Thermal Comfort Overlay now support alternate color sets

Buildings

• Timer Sensor's copy settings now copies elapsed time and whether it is in cycles mode or not 
  • Ice Maker is now overheatable like other production buildings
  • Sweepy's Dock is now overheatable
  • When a Hammer strikes Automation Wire/Automation Ribbon, it will correctly read the length of the wire/ribbon now
  • Sauna no longer requires steam in pipes to operate, only that there is sufficient steam in storage
  • Liquid and Gas Reservoirs no longer round the amounts of their contents before testing logic levels. Fixes a bug where they would activate when they were "close" to the activation amount
  • Transit Tube corner animations have been made all the same length
  • Transit Tube corner animations play faster so that Duplicants maintain consistent speed
  • Ore Scrubber no longer requires chlorine in its pipe to work, only in its storage. It also shows a red status icon when it has insufficient mass in storage.
  • Skill Scrubber now has a higher priority class, which should help the dupes head there without ignoring it
  • Critter Feeder, Fish Feeder, and Lure are now Ranching Supply errands instead of Storage
  • Partial fix for Wind Tunnel requiring gas underneath to function
  • Outhouse now handles dirt correctly. Dirt is consumed per usage (13kg), Polluted Dirt output now includes Dirt used (6.7kg -> 19.7kg). Dirt is not destroyed on clean (it's dropped with the Polluted Dirt), and is not returned in full on deconstruct. A full supply of dirt is required to become usable after cleaning
  • Copy Settings correctly updates the flow rate for liquid and gas valves

Duplicants and Critters (and Robot)

• Prevent fetch errands from putting items in storage that were never requested. This is a partial fix for "buildings with weird stuff inside them."
  • Sweepy now correctly starts and stops charging if the dock becomes powered/unpowered while Sweepy is trying to charge
  • CO2 puffs exhaled by Duplicants will no longer teleport their CO2 upwards when released inside a non-breathable space. Instead they will try to find a nearby CO2, breathable, or other gas cell to release into.
  • Fix Critter Feeder storage errand type to be Ranching Supply instead of Storage
  • Duplicants no longer emit CO2 puffs into a cell different than the one they were standing in. This prevents them from injecting CO2 into rooms that would be otherwise air-tight/unbreathable
  • Duplicant breath effects now match the actual mouth position and facing of the Duplicant. No more exhaling from the middle of the back!
  • Duplicants no longer regain "Mourning" status if there is a dead Duplicant when the game loads
  • Balloon Artists now have a status item during their Joy Reaction

Systems and Simulation

• Fix partial melting/partial evaporation heat calculations. Energy used should be the energy required, not the difference of what's available
  • Fix solid flaking temperature deletion. Uses the actual energy required for the melt, as well as the SHC of the transition element
  • Fix gas temperature swapping heat loss
  • Fix bug where Auto Sweepers' storage was growing unbounded, but not delivering contents
  • Unfortunately this reverts the fix to the bug where sweepers drop their contents on load - our delivery system requires this, for the time being
  • The seed chance bonus from the Agriculture skill was only being applied at 1/100th strength. Now a 3% increased chance actually means a 3% increased chance. (This is on top of the base 10% chance any crop plant has of producing a seed)
  • Fix a case where "ghost bottles" would appear outside of buildings
  • Fix meteors depositing regolith on the wrong side of thin walls
  • Fixed the melting temperature of solid Methane
  • Duplicants and Robo-Miners should no longer infinitely dig. Please let us know if you see any new oddness with digging.

UI and Text

• Resources panel should no longer flicker and possibly crash the game when resources change at low framerates
  • Fixed vertical wind tunnel description
  • Fixed Puft Prince description
  • Fixed the Arbor Tree incorrectly stating that it had a seed drop chance. Pips must be utilized to get extra Arbor Seeds
  • Significantly reduce wait time when a crash occurs with mods present
  • Conveyors show the proper names of contents, rather than always showing their element (e.g. Genetic Ooze)
  • Renamed the baby Pokeshell's molt to Small Pokeshell Molt. This makes it more clear in the various lists and screens where the molts can show up and fixes the functionality of the Conveyor Element Sensor
  • Fix the Vitamin Chews saying they have no effect, when their effect is, in fact, 0.5
  • Microchips and Micronutrient Fertilizer items will group into a single item when on the ground
  • Fix drag tools (i.e. pipes, cancel) not stopping when clicking near UI
  • Light overlay color is more vivid so it matches color choices of other overlays and is easier to read lower light-levels
  • When hovering over a Wire, its current load will only be colored "strained" if its potential load is higher than its max load
  • "Underway" text on starmap screen is now localizable
  • Duplicant age in Bio panel is now localizable
  • Duplicant age once again counts correctly.
  • Insulated pipes/vents are now blue in the Plumbing/Ventilation overlay, rather than orange, to differentiate them more from radiant pipes/vents
  • As well, duplicant "printed" cycle is correct instead of decreased by one.
  • Update strings for Chinese, Korean, and Russian

View full update

• Like 20
  • Thanks 17
  • Health 1

Here's a discussion topic to address any issues that people find with steam turbines.

Please note that this fix

2 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Fix gas temperature swapping heat loss

can and will affect any build in the past that had cold low mass next to hot high mass gas.  Sour gas boilers may produce extra heat now that you have to delete with a turbine.  There could be systems that have been running for a year that completely break because of this fix (as you were unintentionally destroying massive amounts of heat).

If your player made machines start breaking, or a YouTube video's creation no longer works, there is a good chance this bug fix restored the proper order of things (and the old creation was a bug offender). :) 

Edited by mathmanican
typo
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

I wonder how many mods will be broken with this update.

Btw does grooming increase ranching skill now?... Sry if this has been already addressed, I was out of the scene for a while and couldnt find any threads about this. 

1 hour ago, Yaswanth said:

I wonder how many mods will be broken with this update.

Btw does grooming increase ranching skill now?... Sry if this has been already addressed, I was out of the scene for a while and couldnt find any threads about this. 

No, it will be never fixed!! MUUUHHEEHEHEHEHEEHEH!!!!

• Sweepy's Dock is now overheatable

There goes my magma biome sweepy build ._.

• Fix bug where Auto Sweepers' storage was growing unbounded, but not delivering contents
  • Unfortunately this reverts the fix to the bug where sweepers drop their contents on load - our delivery system requires this, for the time being

@Ipsquiggle

Do you guys have an idea how long this bug is going to stick around? It really destroys many builds that require sweepers to be liquid cooled while the rest of the environment is kept a vacuum, mostly while moving hot stuff (like 1600C igneous rock). If it's always dropping on load, that will flash boil any cooling in place. I can't continue my game until this is addressed, because my petrol boiler, magma cooler and more will instantly break, wasting hours of effort.

2 hours ago, vascoegertklei said:

There goes my magma biome sweepy build ._.

@Ipsquiggle

Do you guys have an idea how long this bug is going to stick around? It really destroys many builds that require sweepers to be liquid cooled while the rest of the environment is kept a vacuum, mostly while moving hot stuff (like 1600C igneous rock). If it's always dropping on load, that will flash boil any cooling in place. I can't continue my game until this is addressed, because my petrol boiler, magma cooler and more will instantly break, wasting hours of effort.

A workaround is to cool the edges of the sweeper arm and avoid the middle. That's what I've been doing.

33 minutes ago, bleeter6 said:

Is there any particular reason for making insulated pipes blue? In my mind that's the colour for highlighting.

Probably cuz the yellow and orange are too close to each other in color. 

7 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

The seed chance bonus from the Agriculture skill was only being applied at 1/100th strength. Now a 3% increased chance actually means a 3% increased chance. (This is on top of the base 10% chance any crop plant has of producing a seed)

So if a dupe has 5 agriculture skill does that mean plants have a 15% chance of dropping a seed now? What was it before?

30 minutes ago, TheMattInTheHat said:

So if a dupe has 5 agriculture skill does that mean plants have a 15% chance of dropping a seed now? What was it before?

If it was 1/100th strength, I'm gonna assume that means 10% + 0.05% = 10.05%.

9 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Prevent fetch errands from putting items in storage that were never requested. This is a partial fix for "buildings with weird stuff inside them."
  • Sweepy now correctly starts and stops charging if the dock becomes powered/unpowered while Sweepy is trying to charge

These ones are good to me.

Whose horrible idea was it to make insulated pipes bright blue? My poor eyes...  Water in insulated pipes doesn't look a cheerful blue anymore the combined colors just look like grayscale art tinted blue..  I can barely see the oxygen

Edited by squisher
  • Like 3

It is always nice to see continued development and see bugs being fixed and the game improved. But is it really too much to ask for the old stable version to be an opt in beta so we can continue enjoying our colonies without them being broken after an update due to mods or bugfixes? Other companies consistently do this on major updates for single player games.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • The seed chance bonus from the Agriculture skill was only being applied at 1/100th strength. Now a 3% increased chance actually means a 3% increased chance. (This is on top of the base 10% chance any crop plant has of producing a seed)

Oh hey, finally a nosh bean buff!

Edited by BaloneyOs

What about ranching skill bug, that doesnt progress throught grooming?

P.S.: So happy those bug abusers crying like lil girls here about their cheating bases will be broken :eagerness:

Edited by leyt1125
  • Like 3
  • Wavey 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

6 hours ago, leyt1125 said:

P.S.: So happy those bug abusers crying like lil girls here about their cheating bases will be broken :eagerness:

The change to auto-sweepers is reverting to an old bug, so the 'crying' here is because a bug that was fixed is returning and will ruin a lot of bases. The only changes here that are removing 'useful' bugs are the sweepy dock and ice machine fixes... and I hope we eventually get better ways to manage/create magma because I doubt this will close that door, it will just force the community to make use of other exploits until there's a purpose-built mechanism for making things hotter than~500C without a volcano.

5 hours ago, Thanatos994 said:

The only changes here that are removing 'useful' bugs are the sweepy dock and ice machine fixes

Hem...

On 7/7/2020 at 7:11 PM, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Fix partial melting/partial evaporation heat calculations. Energy used should be the energy required, not the difference of what's available
  • Fix solid flaking temperature deletion. Uses the actual energy required for the melt, as well as the SHC of the transition element
  • Fix gas temperature swapping heat loss

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Thanatos994 said:

The only changes here that are removing 'useful' bugs are the sweepy dock and ice machine fixes... and I hope we eventually get better ways to manage/create magma because I doubt this will close that door, it will just force the community to make use of other exploits until there's a purpose-built mechanism for making things hotter than~500C without a volcano.

Ice machines were absolutely broken OP cooling before if you built them in vacuum and just decon and rebuild the ice maker before it melted, resetting the mats temp, then just rail the ice to get massive heat soak at extremely high efficiency.

After 1,235 hours I only play heavily themed modpack colonies now, ranging from max difficulty, to super convenient cheap high tech, to bioreactor colonies that use min machines. I just want the previous stable version as opt in beta so I can continue playing my current bases. I could be wrong but I dont think it would take excessive resources to implement.

• Thanks 1

Well done Klei for continual patches and more specifically patching exploits such as the sweepy dock not overheating.

I don't know where else to ask this or if it hasn't been asked already. I consider the following to also be exploits:

• Liquid locks that aren't viscogel, such as the T shape liquid lock, or the vertical multi liquid-liquid lock.
  • Diagonal building
  • Unpowered incubator lullabying
  • Infinite liquid storage - I'm sure you got plans for this one
  • Diagonally teleporting magma debris to power the steam turbine.

I'm just targeting Francis John tbh bless him. This is a problem solving game and I'd like to solve the problems without being tempted by the exploits, and then if unable to myself - applaud the person who does.