Do you play with music enabled?

Do you play with music enabled?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play with music enabled?

Oh, definitely!  I even use a mod which makes it have MORE music!  ("Dusk and Night Music"...although I only use the client-side version, in case it might annoy others.)  The winter dusk music is probably my favourite out of that. SO PRETTY...

2 hours ago, Brubs said:

So theres different soundtracks for every season? Wow that's interesting. I feel like im missing out some content.... Might try enabling it just to try it out lol

Oh yeah!  In fact, I suggest that newbies should play with it on more than others, because I've seen more than one Let's Play where they're like "Guys!  GUYS!  The snow is gone!  WE MADE IT TO SPRING!" and I'm like "NO ya didn't, check the lighting and music..."  Season-endings/beginnings often have a bit of overlap in how they look, so hearing the different soundtrack--or NOT--can help clear that up.

--Spring and summer themes are both awesome, and the summer battle music kicks.  "Spring Cleaning" is SUCH a good way to tell the player "Hey!  Winter's over and things are waking up again!  YAY!"

--Weirdly enough, although I play a LOT of other games while listening to other stuff in the background, Don't Starve is not one of them.  If nothing else I definitely wouldn't turn the sound effects off, because HOUNDS (or Depths Worms) AND GIANTS.  I would like as much warning as possible, especially for something that might destroy my base, thankyou.

But Don't Starve/DST has some of the most atmospheric, fitting and fun music I've heard in a game, so...

...Notorious

2 hours ago, Brubs said:

Why is that? Sometimes i just feel like listening to music according to my mood (mostly when im sad). And i think that having enabled the game's music may interfere with my playlist 

Because I'm afraid, if I don't hear the hounds or the depth worms or even deerclops's warnings?! I'm scared... In this game you can lose everything in a flash...

PRECISELY.

Now, music and sound effects _are_ seperate things and I do play some games with just the sounds on but not the actual tunes, for exactly that reason--listen to something else in the background, but be notified when Things Are Going On.  It's especially useful in DS/T, where with things like Deerclops and hounds you might hear SEVERAL early warnings way before your character actually _says_ anything...and Wes won't say anything at all...  I can get out of camp WAY before (for example) Willow starts saying "That sounds like a big mean monster, man!" and Clopsie will spawn safely in the middle of nowhere.

...Notorious

4 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

PRECISELY.

Now, music and sound effects _are_ seperate things and I do play some games with just the sounds on but not the actual tunes, for exactly that reason--listen to something else in the background, but be notified when Things Are Going On.  It's especially useful in DS/T, where with things like Deerclops and hounds you might hear SEVERAL early warnings way before your character actually _says_ anything...and Wes won't say anything at all...  I can get out of camp WAY before (for example) Willow starts saying "That sounds like a big mean monster, man!" and Clopsie will spawn safely in the middle of nowhere.

...Notorious

Yes! I only disabled music but always played with sound effects on, so i know everytime danger approaches

The music in DST really puts me into the mood of the game, helping me kinda play better. I especially love boss themes, and Klaus' theme most of all.

On another note:

- i find Summer Jobs kinda... Noisy. Just personal preference, not mean to call out ppl who like it lol

- conversely, my favorite work theme is Dry Season work from SW.

6 hours ago, Hornete said:

Can any one of those people tell me why you do? I'm really surprised.

1) I only have Bluetooth earbuds, since I don't have a good history with wires, and my laptop doesn't really like using Bluetooth .

2) I usually play in the middle of the night, and so said exposed sound can wake other people up/let them know that I sleep as much as a needed to barely function

3) The silence is deafening. I really don't like hearing nothing at all, I just don't like it. It's the same reason why I use music in BOTW, because the silence makes me feel uncomfortable

4) I can control the mood. Sure, working in the ruins may highlights it's dark, mysterious nature of what might have been, but A nice energetic tune can help me mine those statues and hammer those clockworks in a better mood.

5) It helps take some the monotonous edge off. Sure, I might be more immersed with the help of the ingame tunes, but having something else to listen to helps me not get as bored with the day to day tasks

I can see that, especially the having to be quiet in the middle of the night thing.  However, another reason _I_ don't listen to my own music while playing is...if a song I really like comes on and I start boppin' along, I'd get distracted from the game!  : P

For example, lately I've been putting together a chronological playlist of '60s music on YouTube.  I'm currently up to 1967, which is well into the psychedelic hippie stuff _and_ the early hard-rock stuff.  If I tried listening to THAT...I'd _like_ to say that my character would mysteriously end up with a flower crown on her head while trying to find San Francisco on the map...

...but in actuality I'd probably die from hounds because air guitar.  XD

...Notorious

9 hours ago, Hornete said:

Woah thats quite a lot of people sho disable music.

I think most people who disable music do it either to listen to Spotify or to listen to podcasts, rather than to be in silence. I only play by myself and even though I adore DST's soundtrack, I'm always listening to podcasts ou audiobooks while I play the game. And the reason is just that I enjoy the "double entertainment" in my free time. I don't mind about immersion that much, I guess.

16 hours ago, Hornete said:

Woah thats quite a lot of people sho disable music.

I prefer listening to my own stuff, especially when I already heard the in-game musics hundreds of times

Upfront, i generally disable the music. to put salt in the wound, i have music override mods.

My main gripe is mostly what i see as triggers for the music. in autumn the music only seems to kick in when i craft, chop, or fight, not much during the downtime between those points.

my other thing is a personal problem. burnout, namely. to not sound like mike, i played on xbox for a long time before i got a computer and had played for a long time before playing on computer. as a result i've lost a bit of passion that i had at the beginning and don't want don't starve to become my only outlet for something that can "hold me, thrill me, kill me".

the music in don't starve is awesome , it's music encapsulates all the situations it's in and all have the quality that klei is known for...

but...

have you EVER. listened to dan avidan sing "take on me".

Spoiler

Oh goddess.  That's gonna be especially interesting for me considering (a) I TOTALLY think of him as a Game Grump (even though I knew about NSP as well, since he mentions it while riffing on the games) and (b) "Take On Me" is up there among my favourite songs ever.  : P

The "Dusk and Night Music" mod that others (and myself) have mentioned is worth noting here 'cos, if you don't already know, it doesn't JUST keep the regular work music playing during dusk and night, so the game doesn't go silent for huge chunks of time.  Nope.  It has _remixes_ of each season's work song, that area kinda toned down and slowed (or quieted) for dusk and then the night version is like "Sssshhhh...things are sleeping..."  

Spoiler

But it STILL manages to keep the basic feel of each one, like for example the nighttime spring one is technically STILL FAST!  It's just quiet and has less instruments now.  Heh.  And it's kinda too bad that summer dusk is so short, 'cos the summer dusk music is like the original daytime tune, but kind of...exotic, I guess?  It's one reason I didn't mind that HELLA long summer I had recently, because at least that meant more days with a non-miniscule amount of dusk, at the beginning and end of the season.  And the winter dusk music is PREEEETTTYYYY...

So if you can, maybe check it out.  In spring and winter the daytime hours are SO SHORT and then you're freezing or picking berries in the rain for like, two-thirds of the day, in dead silence.  There's a client _and_ a server version, so you can choose if you want to "make" others listen to it with you or not.  : P

But I get what you're saying about how the music seems to just kick in at random intervals during the day, and I've always thought that was weird too.  Again, it's something I've seen new Let's Players get confused by, 'cos they'll be wandering along, la la la and suddenly the springtime music will be like "HEY HOW ARE YA??" and they're like "Whoah, where did THAT come from?"  "What's this...jazzy noise?" (Yes, REAL QUOTE.)  "Why did music suddenly kick in?  Is something happening?"  Lol.

...Notorious

On Thursday, June 25, 2020 at 10:22 AM, MagicalSkies said:

Yes!!! When spring arrives, I absolutely need to hear spring cleaning! One of the best soundtracks! There’s even an acoustic version of it on YouTube!

i love that version!

The whole soundtrack is a joy. 

Most of the seasonal theme's really hit how the feel of the seaons are.

The ruins and caves set the mood of a mysterious feeling to it.

Basically it adds a lot of tone and life to the game for me, it adds more atmosphere. simply turning that off i think i wouldn't like this game as much as i do cause the soundtrack is a huge part of why i adore it so much. 

Honestly the only thing i would turn off is the DST menu theme, by god its imbedded into my brain at this point and i'm actually starting to hate it. it's beginning to be my Ragtime.

I play with music on all the time, I use the dusk+night music mod and a mod that restores the old autumn music. I even wound up merging the two in a personal use mod in order to have a version that fixes the new music themes like crab king and malbatross.(I am aware of how to make the mods load the new themes instead of AG's theme)

So I have been playing with music enabled (after 700+ hours playing without music) and i can say the soundtrack is absolutely awesome! Spring Cleaning its a bop for sure :P here's the acoustic version which is also great, by Alex Heflin

Archived