Licensed Don't Starve Mobile Game (Don't Starve: Newhome)

4 hours ago, sudoku said:

Anyone else not a fan of the name? Like I get it's not literal but it has the implication Dont Starves new home is with Tencent.

I have absolutely no idea where you got that implication from. The actual implication is that these survivors new home is this little town in the Constant, which they've named "Newhome."

42 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

I have absolutely no idea where you got that implication from. The actual implication is that these survivors new home is this little town in the Constant, which they've named "Newhome."

Of course you dont. I said I realize it wasn't literal. But being an English major I read into things maybe more than I should. For example Spiderman: Homecoming is not just a movie about Spiderman during his high school homecomong, but also a homecoming for the character back to Marvel. So I see the title Newhome and think obviously it's about having a new home in the constant, but can also see it as being the newest and latest game in the franchise so therefore your new home for Don't Starve in general. 

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

this little town in the Constant, which they've named "Newhome."

Over time Don't Starve seems to have gone from this "I'm stuck here and need to survive on my own" to "We need to survive together, and everyone can help!" to "Y'know the Constant sure is homely. Let's stick around and build an entire civilization."

The biggest question I have is if this (not made by Klei) Mobile Multiplayer DS inspired spin-off game means that we won’t ever actually get DST on Mobile? Mobile Smartphones are capable of ALOT now days.. we already have decent ports of DS & DS Shipwrecked on Mobile.

Does this Newhome mean that we aren’t ever getting DS Hamlet or DST on Mobile?

2 hours ago, sudoku said:

Of course you dont. I said I realize it wasn't literal. But being an English major I read into things maybe more than I should. For example Spiderman: Homecoming is not just a movie about Spiderman during his high school homecomong, but also a homecoming for the character back to Marvel. So I see the title Newhome and think obviously it's about having a new home in the constant, but can also see it as being the newest and latest game in the franchise so therefore your new home for Don't Starve in general. 

Found the English major... 

To anyone asking if this new stuff will be canon, it's clearly just a nightmare that Wilson is having while he's trapped on the throne. A horrible, horrible nightmare. None of it is really happening. None of it is real. That's what I'm telling myself anyway.

*retreats to corner with headcanon* My precious...

3 hours ago, sudoku said:

If Tencent bought Klei, or bought the DS ip from them, then sure - but they didn't.  They have the license for a mobile app of the game.  Klei is still in charge of their own company, DS, DST, DLC's associated with them, and continued development.

I wish I could say I was happy to see this news, but I completely agree with Golden Pooch. Even if Klei isn't working on this particular game I'm still uncomfortable with the ties to Tencent. I don't see myself ever downloading this.

That said, I like the new(ish) art style (I love some of the critter designs). I'm a huge fan of Hamlet, so I like the idea of houses and/or a community. The trailer didn't show any gameplay, though, which makes it hard to judge thoroughly.

on one hand, more money for klei.

on the other hand, tencent, lord of corrupt business and avatar of the chinese government, inevitable infinite pit of microtransactions, artstyle just looks like a poor copy.

no thanks chief but atleast nothing of value was lost hopefully.

12 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

Is this someone’s first time realizing don’t starve faces are asymmetrical?

Edit

If you want the most blatant example Wurt, one broken horn, and her eyes, nostrils, and mouth are on separate angels. But ALL characters are asymmetrical, one of Wendy’s eyes is slightly higher on the face, smaller, and farther from center than the other. And one of her ears is higher than the other.

It's just a joke my mang. And also im the white one.

wilsonus.png.264533918d27c887c65a406dcfe580a7.png

wilsonass.png.b79ab01144d4affe3920c0cd5d439eb0.png

Hmm, I like the concept, it can go good, but it can also horribly fail. I fear it will end up like Smite BLITZ where the devs will just go silent and forget about the game in a few months. So Im skeptical, but I can hope

17 minutes ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

Hmm, I like the concept, it can go good, but it can also horribly fail. I fear it will end up like Smite BLITZ where the devs will just go silent and forget about the game in a few months. So Im skeptical, but I can hope

This was the sad faith of Dynasty Warriors: Unleashed. The only real mobile version of the DW game franchise... and it was dead before it ever got anywhere.

Even Paid full price apps fall victim to this- Batman the Dark Knight Rises, Dead Rising, Resident Evil, Dead Space..

The mobile Gaming Market is an overall terrible place for gaming, I think I paid like 8$ for that Damn Batman mobile game- now... just like Warbucks it’s been “Poofed” out of Existence.

12 hours ago, Shpee said:

on one hand, more money for klei.

on the other hand, tencent, lord of corrupt business and avatar of the chinese government, inevitable infinite pit of microtransactions, artstyle just looks like a poor copy.

no thanks chief but atleast nothing of value was lost hopefully.

The engagement here on the forum is a little funny, we are talking about the company's financial partnerships as if we were good shareholders haha The community is concerned about Klei and the company's health.

I hope that they understand these issues that we raise as affection.

On 6/23/2020 at 6:40 PM, Sunset Skye said:

I absolutely love the look of this, it's like a whole different cast of characters in the same world. Plus implications of Wilson on the nightmare throne?? I love all the new creatures so far also, especially the civilized catcoons and the little hogs.

I really hope the community doesn't do the gamer thing of constantly putting this down because "grrr mobile bad grrrrr," cause I think it has some super interesting potential both for lore and the actual videogame.

Well the problem is not that it is a mobile game. the problem is that it is made by tencent

well it being made by tencent means that you are directly supporting the chinese goverment. which is atleast very questionable

57 minutes ago, TheHollowKnight said:

I was gonna make my own thread for the Facebook posts but i wasn't sure if i should so ill just post them here for now.

(Image is better quality after clicked on)

NewhomeFacebook.png

This reminded me of one game, it also had penguins too.

PI.png.050f69c7113760945071ee275487c9a6.png

46 minutes ago, chavuz said:

Well the problem is not that it is a mobile game. the problem is that it is made by tencent

well it being made by tencent means that you are directly supporting the chinese goverment. which is atleast very questionable

Is not made by Tencent, but distributed via said service.

Jokes aside, yeah - communism cah, being monitored/data collection cah, but is.. wait for it: voluntary for non-China people/potential customers. "Don't like it, don't buy it" case-scenario. Writing Tencent is cah, people shouldn't support it because you support communism cah doesn't change anything. Curious peeps will try it, some will be disappointed and knowing the track-record of more-or-less such bootleg-looking merchandise, in 6 months after its official release due to low quality in everything will probably be abandoned by producer/developer and that was it. KLei did an ok choice of lending the DST license for theoretical nice profits and good PR via basically taking communist money (actually is Vampire Capitalism with punctual Totalitarian CCP interventions but that's another discussion) to support anarcho-communists BLM :lol:

This video is sponsored by Don't Starve: Newhome™! Don't Starve: Newhome™ is an immersive online experience with everything you'd expect from a brand new RPG title. It's got an amazing storyline, awesome 2D graphics, giant boss fights, PVP battles, and 5 unique never before seen champions to collect and customize.

I never expected to get this level of performance out of a mobile game. Look how crazy the level of detail is on these champions!

Don't Starve: Newhome™ is getting big real fast, so you should definitely get in early. Starting now will give you a huge head start. There's also an upcoming Special Launch Tournament with crazy prizes! And not to mention, this game is absolutely free!

So go ahead and check out the video description to find out more about Don't Starve: Newhome™. There, you will find a link to the store page and a special code to unlock all sorts of goodies. Using the special code, you can get 50,000 Silver immediately, and a FREE Epic Level Champion as part of the new players program, courtesy of course of the Don't Starve: Newhome™ devs.

Archived