Licensed Don't Starve Mobile Game (Don't Starve: Newhome)

@Sunset Skye I agree with your opinion.Klei is the most generous company I have ever seen and is a company that cares a lot about the player community and listens to valuable feedback.This is one of the reasons why they are so successful,

But I think some people don't like this mobile game Because it is issued by Tencent. I also hate Tencent, but I noticed that some people not only attacked Tencent but also attacked Chinese players,That's too much and for no reason.which puzzled me.

35 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

I can't imagine being here in this community for almost 4 years and yet seeing Klei in a way like this. Out of all the companies I know, Klei is honestly the most generous, they keep giving out free games and recently even donated 1 million in support of BLM. Would they really do something like this for a quick buck? Shengqu, the developers of Newhome, have also been described as being "fans of Don't Starve", loving specifics aspects like the Forge and Gorge, and they remade the game's whole engine in unity just for this.

Like, are you just saying this because it's a mobile game, or...? Because I can't see any other reason you'd think like this.

They are better then most, but I respected them because they didn't do stuff like this. I can't see how giving Tencent a license to do what they please with is about anything else but money. Especially since they're not involved with the project in any way. I can't see how signing an exclusivity deal with Epic over Griftlands is about anything else but money. It just feels so out of character to me seeing Klei do this stuff. I'm likely overreacting, but seeing a company I love making decisions I strongly disagree with just makes me sad. It's less about Newhome itself, and more about Klei "selling out" ...as cheesy as that might sound...

7 hours ago, Weavilemeinfep said:

if theres no extremely scummy mtx or any other scummy practices,

Too late. Do you remember when Klei ran the beta for Don't Starve: Hamlet, free for anyone to sign up, and first intended to have a limited number of testers, but when it became apparent that everybody wanted in they opened the registration for everybody who wanted to join and later gave away the whole DLC to the beta participants for free? This kind of recurring generosity is unparalleled in the gaming world and Klei was beyond generous.

Look at Tencent's website:

image.thumb.png.24402c0ae83ead948415a2cc42a357e8.png

image.thumb.png.ca915b57212582edb329fc7996b0c08e.pngimage.thumb.png.b0c00ddd55a0066745e57fce97adbf10.pngimage.thumb.png.ffca434e83f58e7dac48f74a55298dca.png

The beta is exclusive for potential participants in certain regions. Only a limited number of users will be able to partake in it, and to make it extra scummy they are using the word "apologize" as if it was outside their control (lol?). And of course, if you participate and reach some in-game goal during the beta you will be eligible to receive an item, which nobody else has a chance to get, so you better be fast (and "lucky") and sign up and start grinding immediately!

Like @Sinister_Fang wrote above, this is nothing but a cash grab. Even at this point it is blatantly evident.

I can't believe that after all these years of quiet observation I'm finally going to share my opinion.

I would like to begin by saying that I don't like Tencent any more than anyone else does. With that being said, I think that a large part of the issue here stems from a general misconception. Klei, just like every other company, is a company— as in, not your friend. They are not making games solely for joy; they are also doing it for money. That's the nature of the business world (and life in general). I understand that Klei is far more community-oriented than most game developers, and they do a lot for their fans (i.e., giving away free expansions, hosting free events, actually taking player opinions and suggestions into consideration, actively participating in forum discussions, etc.) Nevertheless, it takes a very large amount of cash to develop a video game and keep it running. They need to get that money from somewhere, and I'm sure they got a good deal on the Don't Starve title. Same with Griftlands. 

I love Klei's games, and I have an overall positive opinion on the company as a whole. However, I think that we need to recognize that they are a business, and businesses will do what they need to in order to continue thriving and making money. Do I like the deal they made with Tencent? No. Is this long-winded rant actually in support of Tencent or shady business practices in general? Definitely not. Please note, however, that most businesses outside of your great aunt's home bakery have probably done some shady business with shady people whether you know about it or not. They just don't announce it publicly like Klei does. Tencent owns a lot in the video game industry, as in, they literally own more than anyone else does. You've probably played plenty of other games that you had no idea were associated with Tencent; Fortnite, League of Legends, Assassins Creed, World of Warcraft, Diablo, and Nier: Automata were all developed by companies that are partially, if not fully, owned by Tencent. There's plenty of more where that comes from, by the way. I just listed a few of the bigger titles. They're like Nestle—  they're everywhere, and practically unavoidable unless you boycott the entire industry. 

You have the freedom to avoid Newhome. If you don't like Tencent and their steadily growing monopoly on the gaming industry, then don't buy their products, and don't buy from the companies they own or invest in. More power to you. If you want to try the game for yourself, go ahead. That's entirely up to you.

Wait how does it make a company scummy if they have a limited numbers of players that can join the beta. yeah, it sucks i won’t be able to get the beta because I don’t live in Germany but that doesn’t automatically make the game bad. It’s probably where the servers have the best connection and the servers are probably limited too at the current time, thus the number of limited people(this is only an assumption, but even if not it’s really just a beta). I feel like people are missing the fact that games are made by multiple people , people that can pour love into a game and try their hardest to make a good product and not only a Company that wants money. Only because you dislike the company doesn’t mean you can’t give the game a chance. Just let the beta release , watch some YouTube videos about it and then I think you should be in a position you could say it’s bad or not. I’m not even trying to defend it . I am unsure if this will be good myself ,but I am trying to stay neutral to the product until I actually have seen gameplay(Well I guess you could already say you hate the art style. That has been shown and would be an understandable point to dislike it).

2 hours ago, TimeToDuel said:

I can't believe that after all these years of quiet observation I'm finally going to share my opinion.

I would like to begin by saying that I don't like Tencent any more than anyone else does. With that being said, I think that a large part of the issue here stems from a general misconception. Klei, just like every other company, is a company— as in, not your friend. They are not making games solely for joy; they are also doing it for money. That's the nature of the business world (and life in general). I understand that Klei is far more community-oriented than most game developers, and they do a lot for their fans (i.e., giving away free expansions, hosting free events, actually taking player opinions and suggestions into consideration, actively participating in forum discussions, etc.) Nevertheless, it takes a very large amount of cash to develop a video game and keep it running. They need to get that money from somewhere, and I'm sure they got a good deal on the Don't Starve title. Same with Griftlands. 

I love Klei's games, and I have an overall positive opinion on the company as a whole. However, I think that we need to recognize that they are a business, and businesses will do what they need to in order to continue thriving and making money. Do I like the deal they made with Tencent? No. Is this long-winded rant actually in support of Tencent or shady business practices in general? Definitely not. Please note, however, that most businesses outside of your great aunt's home bakery have probably done some shady business with shady people whether you know about it or not. They just don't announce it publicly like Klei does. Tencent owns a lot in the video game industry, as in, they literally own more than anyone else does. You've probably played plenty of other games that you had no idea were associated with Tencent; Fortnite, League of Legends, Assassins Creed, World of Warcraft, Diablo, and Nier: Automata were all developed by companies that are partially, if not fully, owned by Tencent. There's plenty of more where that comes from, by the way. I just listed a few of the bigger titles. They're like Nestle—  they're everywhere, and practically unavoidable unless you boycott the entire industry. 

You have the freedom to avoid Newhome. If you don't like Tencent and their steadily growing monopoly on the gaming industry, then don't buy their products, and don't buy from the companies they own or invest in. More power to you. If you want to try the game for yourself, go ahead. That's entirely up to you.

A very practical reply. I very much agree with these post. I don’t like Tencent, but I have to admit that they have become one of the industry’s giants, and they are rising rapidly, just like China. The most important point, Business is business, no matter what industry it is in, this is the truth.

In today's economic globalization, the potential of the Chinese market I think everyone knows how huge. And the most important point is that klei has a lot of players who love them in China, and as far as I know, klei has huge group of players in China. They have a very good evaluation of klei company. So if klei gave up Chinese players, I would be very shocked.

"Tencent owns a lot in the video game industry, as in, they literally own more than anyone else does. You've probably played plenty of other games that you had no idea were associated with Tencent; Fortnite, League of Legends, Assassins Creed , World of Warcraft, Diablo, and Nier: Automata were all developed by companies that are partially, if not fully, owned by Tencent. There's plenty of more where that comes from, by the way. I just listed a few of the bigger titles . They're like Nestle— they're everywhere, and practically unavoidable unless you boycott the entire industry.” Although I don’t like what Tencent did,But these are the facts you mentioned. and if Klei can get more benefits from the cooperation with the industry’s giant company (not just Tencent), I will take that as a comfort .

8 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

They are better then most, but I respected them because they didn't do stuff like this. I can't see how giving Tencent a license to do what they please with is about anything else but money.

They didn't really give Tencent a license to do what they please with, did they? Tencent is simply the publisher, they're in charge of releasing and marketing the game and then they get some of the sales. The actual game is being developed by Shengqu Games, who again have been stated to be fans of the series. and even have specific content they've been said to enjoy.

6 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

Too late. Do you remember when Klei ran the beta for Don't Starve: Hamlet, free for anyone to sign up, and first intended to have a limited number of testers, but when it became apparent that everybody wanted in they opened the registration for everybody who wanted to join and later gave away the whole DLC to the beta participants for free? This kind of recurring generosity is unparalleled in the gaming world and Klei was beyond generous.

That wasn't the reason they let everyone into the beta, though. Hamlet's beta was 100% intended to have 5,000-10,000 people and to remove the game from your library by the end, and they only changed that because:

We're not going to be sending out emails. We decided it would take too long to sync up the emails and the granting of the game in steam. So we're going to just start letting people in by granting access in steam. 

So. If you signed up and you own DS on steam, you will be getting into the beta

Klei is generous in a lot of ways, but you don't have to make up fake ways that Klei was even more generous just to show that Tencent is bad for doing something Klei was intending to do anyway, and is pretty standard for closed betas.

Plus as stated above, this is a multiplayer game with servers. Very different situation from a DLC to the singleplayer game Don't Starve.

I think we should stop blaming Klei in everything, because all they did was sell a license. And according to JoeW's quote,

While this is not being operated by Klei, we wanted to let you all know that it is officially licensed

they do not even participate in DS: NH development.

Therefore, I suggest just waiting for the result and slander or praise the game only after the beta release.

This whole discussion is a bit silly. We don’t know how the gameplay or pricing model for this game works, nor do we know how much of a grip Klei has with this game.

I think it’s okay to be cautiously pessimistic about this game. Mobile games in general tend to be a bit more greedier than games on other devices. Moreover, the images and references that are provided thus far (especially the pets) got me a bit concerned on the direction of the game.

However, if it turns out to be good and micro transaction less, then ofc I’ll get the game. It’s just a general “buyer-beware” thought process going through my head right now.

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

They didn't really give Tencent a license to do what they please with, did they? Tencent is simply the publisher, they're in charge of releasing and marketing the game and then they get some of the sales. The actual game is being developed by Shengqu Games, who again have been stated to be fans of the series. and even have specific content they've been said to enjoy.

It sounds like they gave the license to Tencent, and Tencent gave it to one of their developers.

On 6/23/2020 at 2:22 PM, JoeW said:

A while back we agreed to a license for Tencent Games (PUBG Mobile, COD Mobile) to publish a Don't Starve Mobile game developed by Shengqu Games 

And then there's this...

On 6/23/2020 at 2:22 PM, JoeW said:

While this is not being operated by Klei, we wanted to let you all know that it is officially licensed

...and that kinda states they're not involved with the project.

2 minutes ago, 1bubbainpa said:

nor do we know how much of a grip Klei has with this game.

Actually, we kinda do. Look at the quote from Joe above this.

On 6/23/2020 at 3:24 PM, Golden Pooch said:

I will be honest... this announcement disappoints me more than I can express through words. Tencent is not a company that is known for their ethics, and they are pretty much considered to be the EA of China. They are also heavily involved with censorship made by the Chinese government, as they own both WeChat and QQ, the two dominant social platforms in China. Their integrity can be summed up as "questionable", at the very best. Such censorship allows events such as the Tiananmen square massacre and the Uyghur concentrations camps to pass unnoticed, which is akin to pretending that the suffering of these people never existed. This is not right, and I do not think that these are actions that your studio condone.

Now, I understand that making a deal with Tencent would be extremely beneficial to Klei, but I do not think that the benefits are worth it. Klei has always been that quiet underrated studio developing masterpieces in my heart, and I wish nothing but the best for its economic development. But I cannot stand the idea of Klei being associated with a nefarious name such as Tencent and I sincerely believe that such an association will corrupt the very values that the studio hold dear to. Tencent's influence (and by extension, the Chinese government's influence) is spreading around the world at an alarming rate, as demonstrated by their ownership of a significant amount of shares in various game companies. They own about 25% of Activision, own over 50% of Supercell (majority stake, which means that they call the shots), and own stakes in nearly every significant game studios in existence. They are even considered to be the biggest game company in the world by some. Such a presence worries me, and events such as the censorship of the word "Uyghur" in LoL or the Blitzchung Hong Kong incident in Hearthstone should be taken as warning signs of what could happen if a biased company obtains too much influence on a game.

Reconsider your agreement with Tencent, I implore you. The games that Klei makes has been a safe haven for me so far, and Don't Starve is a franchise that has a special place in my heart. It being butchered by an unethical company such as Tencent would be a sight that I would not be able to withstand. Please, do not associate with them. I beg you.

Reposting as I agree with every single letter of it except the analogy: Tencent is not just the EA of China; it is also the Twitter+Facebook+Paypal of China, with heavy censorship, human rights violations and problematic work-place practices behind the curtains.

my main fears are of Tencent's:track record of censorship in their media and questionable personal data usage bothers me

with Klei seeming to not have any say or involvement of the game I feel like some of these may be sneakily stuck in:

On 6/23/2020 at 11:22 AM, JoeW said:

While this is not being operated by Klei

but if Klei keeps Tencent's reign under control and Klei or some other trustworthy source confirms no foul play with data then sure I would love to try this

I am not against Klei making money with a mobile game I just question Tencent's reputation and past

On 6/23/2020 at 5:03 PM, Bluckles said:

Tencent? Really?  I got banned from the discord for saying "Tianemen", no warnings, banned like 10 seconds later. Ironic how you guys will support BLM and be against police brutality here in the U.S., but turn right around and support the Chinese Government and chinese monopolies because its a quick cash grab. A mobile game that you don't even develop yourself. I liked it better when you guys seemed to care about making games instead of grabbing cash. I won't be going anywhere near this game.

I wonder if that $1 million Klei donated to BLM came directly or indirectly from Tencent... Makes you re-think about your life choices...

I was watching a movie the other night King Kong: Skull Island and I laughed my butt off when one of the names in the starting credits was Tencent.. 

My point? Their name being on the credit screen didn’t make the movie any worse, I enjoyed it, and yeah I saw it before ages ago but didn’t remember it so watched it again.

From what I’ve seen of the Artworks for this game they’re putting a lot of effort into it, even went so far as to have Wendy’s recently added to DST Pipspooks. 
Rather the game will be a Wallet snatching cash grab or not has yet to be seen... but so far, it’s just looks like a simple mobile game using DS Characters.

Which I find all Together odd as hell if I’m being 100% Honest- Because Klei has ALREADY Released both Don’t Starve Reign of Giants and DS Shipwrecked onto Mobile phones.

And- If We got DS Hamlet and DS Together on Mobile do we even NEED this (not created by Klei) NewHome game?

The only thing I can possibly think that would set NewHome apart from DST (aside from the obvious differences) is that NewHome may be massively online Multiplayer, like an MMO RPG rather then just limited to the 6 players of DST.

15 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

I can't imagine being here in this community for almost 4 years and yet seeing Klei in a way like this. Out of all the companies I know, Klei is honestly the most generous, they keep giving out free games and recently even donated 1 million in support of BLM. Would they really do something like this for a quick buck? Shengqu, the developers of Newhome, have also been described as being "fans of Don't Starve", loving specifics aspects like the Forge and Gorge, and they remade the game's whole engine in unity just for this.

Like, are you just saying this because it's a mobile game, or...? Because I can't see any other reason you'd think like this.

The DS/T game engine is pretty damn minimal as it is very highly abstracted out (think Screecher); wouldn't be a huge undertaking to port/reimplement it given source code...

i would pull out fast...tencent are notorious for maybe things.. they are 10% connected to the chinese goverment and have a infamous title for basically saying "we made this game 100%" when they just ported it....please save yourselves...i dont want anything happening to you guys

On 2020/6/25 at AM2点06分, 1bubbainpa said:

我只是说这是什么样的游戏。它具有中国游戏的“光环”,有时会试图窃游戏并复制艺术品,例如:

26969224-86BC-4A6C-B339-5C894FCE5C38.jpeg.d3aa68d891d11abf4502c07bf3fe02c8.jpeg

?????????what????zhizhang

People here mentioned already why this is complete BS from Klei and lets not lie to ourselves they made it for easy money. This is not the Klei i know for several years already. I am part of this community and overall huge Klei fan for looong time. It all started slowly but here we are.

• First they killed any drops in DST and marketplace. No skins released outside their MTX. Even killed in one way those skins still available lol. No biggie tho...
  • Then we got side project Hot Lava which became full cool game. Now its only part of Apple arcade, macOS support outside of that is killed, no explanation and no answers from Klei, of course its because of Apple said it needs to be exclusive. I bought the game as all Klei games and TO THIS DAY i cant play it on my Mac because i bought it on Steam! (at first macOS version was coming and no one knew about Apple arcade) Well this is slap to users and im even Apple user. Sure whatever lets move on i still trust Klei
  • Here we go Epic exclusive for new title. I dont mind Epic and what they are doing that much and i get devs who just drool over the money bags they throw at them but i thought Klei is different and wont go this route. Im not a fan of card games so i didnt mind that much and i didnt even posted anything since. But this was already big eye opener
  • I bought all their games and some of them several times for everyone around me, bought all skins and everything they released, they got even that Apple thing going on which must bring them tons of money and most importantly exposure to Apple users which have no problems spending money on this stuff.... it seems that Klei has money problems but then they sign deal with devil for exclusivity now so this should be plenty for them to continue comfortably or they are greedy
  • 1mil donated. Lets not talk about THE donation BUT no way in hell company which has money problems can drop this HUGE!!! amount of money on some issue. So there is no way they have money problems

Now we have this tencent garbage. Again lets not lie to ourselves. This is not Riot games with LOL situation. Tencent have hands literally everywhere and thats not the problem (many people here mention this). Problem comes when they just buy the licence. This is their knockoff with horrible art put together as quickly as possible to make as much money as possible which will be riddled with microtransactions just to milk chinese (looks like us too) players which like DST. (did anyone even check that company games?) Again just greedy move and even stupid move. Here is why:

OBVIOUSLY Klei dont wanna spend time and money to make internal iOS/Android team otherwise they would make mobile DST long time ago since this is their main game which has the most players and bright future. These days Apple is even bringing their whole line of devices to one code. You can make next game with that in mind and just push your pc/mac game into millions of mobile devices

Now people will know DST from mobile. Mobile market is HUGE and 99% of people dont care one bit about some licence or some other stuff. No one cares, people wanna play games and not get into the politics of games. Klei will have now **** reputation on mobile. Their mobile titles are dead and not updated anymore and now there will be cheap DST title which will completely destroy their reputation (this is the price for Klei doing this cheap move to get more money so this was definitely on table when they did pros/cons)

This also completely killed future for other mobile titles. Not to mention Klei will now see how easy is to make cheap easy money from few cancer microtransactions and WHO KNOWS what they will do next. If you like it or not mobile stuff is the future since our mobile devices are getting really close to our PCs and it becomes closer and closer when it comes to development. This is why its beyond me why is Klei not investing in this 

Just FYI to this day Klei made every shady/controversial move in gaming industry that was possible. I dont know what else could they make to add to this list so correct me if im wrong. Broken promises, exclusivity, more exclusivity with Epic and now throwing licence to their baby for Tencent. 

12 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

People being mad for a company maaking money xdddddddddddd

Stop thinking people are saints or demons, people are people 

If money is your only goal then go ahead. You can also save lot of money pirating software or games but it doesnt mean you should

Archived