why do so many new players pick willow?

So, I like to spend time on public servers every now and then, and I constantly (no pun intended) see people come in as Willows, saying they are new. Even a friend of mine who I recently got into dst picked willow as her first character. Why is it that so many new players pick Willow? What draws them to her?

Just now, Blue Moth said:

So, I like to spend time on public servers every now and then, and I constantly (no pun intended) see people come in as Willows, saying they are new. Even a friend of mine who I recently got into dst picked willow as her first character. Why is it that so many new players pick Willow? What draws them to her?

Probably the lighter. Most new players struggle with darkness, so willows nigh-infinite lighter is a blessing.

Yeah the lighter seems like the main thing also right after you left the new willow not the first one burned trees by claiming "i needed charcoal"

even though we have 2 crock pots and a warly and the trees were connected to base and then they burned alch but we rollbacked.

i dont even know why griefers bother if most servers just kick and rollback.

Most people pick her due to the lighter lasting a very long time, and being able to easily cook food quickly without needing a Campfire to do it.

When you put yourself into the mindset of a complete and total noob at DST.. what are your two most common forms of Death?Darkness & Starvation.. 

As a New Player- You struggle to gather up the supplies needed to Make a torch or to make a Campfire, and Willows Lighter is a one stop perk for both those problems.

I also want to address something, I’m not sure how hard it is to burn down a base on PC as I’m not certain how KB+Mouse controls are set up for PC Players.. But I feel like Willow is a character like... well hilariously like Spider-Man.

Before you roll your eyes just hear me out.

”With Great Power comes Great Responsibility.”

Playing as WILLOW in the hands of a total noob can lead to disastrous results.. this circles back around to the top statement about Me not knowing how controls work for PC.. but over on XBOX I am not ashamed at all in the slightest bit to admit that as Willow I have accidentally burned down an entire base or two..

this is mostly due to the button bindings to perform certain actions being bound to the same button as burning a base down... but Nonetheless Willow gets a bad grievers reputation for it when in fact the person playing her may actually legit be new to the game and did it on accident.

And again as a total NOOB your not going to also know that Willow is completely immune to fire damage and can put out smoldering structures.. 

At least one of those reasons, really.

1- They like Willow's lighter and Bernie's nightmare fighting abilities 'cause they're new at the game and stuff blah blah blah and Willow's kinda of a noob friendly character, nothing wrong with that.

2- They like her personality or/and looks for some reason, yeah.

3- Setting things on fire = Ultra big funny xDDD.

10 minutes ago, Lammarr said:

1- They like Willow's lighter and Bernie's nightmare fighting abilities 'cause they're new at the game and stuff blah blah blah and Willow's kinda of a noob friendly character, nothing wrong with that.

Yes, yes, and yes.  Perfect character design <3

Its also not bad for a first character pick, I'd recommend her over Wilson. You will most likely not reach winter on your first playthrough (unless you are carried) and the biggest threats you face on the first 5 days when you first play DST are darkness, starvation and insanity. She comes packed with easy solutions to 2 of those.

Her quotes are also very funny.

1 hour ago, bruhmoment23 said:

Base demolition speedrun any% when?

Targeting first: twitch streamers

Really?  There's a rash of Willows now?  I haven't been on publics in a long time.  I just assumed Wendy was still the most popular female character because she's a cute little blonde with some CRAWLING IN MY SKIIIINNN thrown in.  : P

Well, personally I _didn't_ pick Willow the very first.  I played as Wilson first....because he was the only character unlocked to start with and everybody else had just a shadow of their head and a chained coffin saying "UNKNOWN"  Oh, right, didn't mention--I started off with singleplayer DS. i still think there's something to be said for a mechanism that gates new players away from the harder characters until they've at least _kinda_ proved they're ready. 

Anyway.  As soon as Wilson's first run ended (night of Day 36, couldn't put down a campfire because SO MANY TREES) and at least one new character unlocked, I switched to Willow and have rarely looked back.  Like Sips and Jacksepticeye before me (the two I had watched their Let's Plays of on YouTube partway through before I decided yes, I DID want to play this game for myself), I had a MUCH longer, happier run with Willow than I had with Wilson.

She works well with my playing style.  She's funny.  She does have useful perks, but believe it or not that's not the main reason I play her...it's the whole "fun character who doesn't interfere with my playstyle" thing.  And, nowadays, with Willow STILL being the main one people blame every time there's a base fire, I've doubled the beep down out of sheer defiance.  XD

Why OTHER people play her:  'TEE HEE HEE HEE HEE FIRE TEE HEE I'M'A BURN EVERYTHING WHEEEEE LOOKIT ME I'M THE CRAZY ONE WHOOOAAAAAHHHHH!!!"

At least, that seems to be the truth of any new player I've seen who's also a Twitch streamer.  Gotta do the stupidest, most extreme things at all times rather than play correctly and attempt to make progress, 'cos that's what the audience expects!

(rolls eyes)

...Notorious

My reasons for picking Willow in a public server would be:

1. The server's crowded and I'm not sure if I could successfully grab enough materials for a torch before sunset. Yeah, I could do the firefly dance but it's a panic move.

2. I'm playing a nomadic playstyle so the portable "campfire" is very useful.

3. Bernie and Lighter are both decent weapons when hunting Rabbits.

15 hours ago, Lammarr said:

Thanks to your profile picture, I've received my daily dose of terror :D

Archived