[Game Update] - 401443

Wow, some people are just never happy. I appreciate not having to be close to death because some people who have lag, like me, cannot properly kite and will die (and don't say get better internet, not applicable when playing online), so in that case Wendy and Abigail do not end up working as a team as Scott said.

Some of you are so ungrateful and entitled, jeez.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

"I can't stand that I have to be at one health point in order for Abigail to do any meaningful damage. Why can't they change it to be affected by like sanity or something? It's too hard to manage even for veteran players, I liked the day-night damage format."

VS

"I can't stand that Klei made Abigail too easy to play; there's no skill required to use her, and the health format was a better challenge than this. Why doesn't Klei cater to the veterans ever?"

....I mean.....eh?

• Haha 11

21 minutes ago, Owlrus98 said:

"I can't stand that I have to be at one health point in order for Abigail to do any meaningful damage. Why can't they change it to be affected by like sanity or something? It's too hard to manage even for veteran players, I liked the day-night damage format."

VS

"I can't stand that Klei made Abigail too easy to play; there's no skill required to use her, and the health format was a better challenge than this. Why doesn't Klei cater to the veterans ever?"

....I mean.....eh?

I think it's different people making each argument. I didn't react in the forums much to Rework 1.0 because I was testing her in-game during my free hours the whole week, and had no time left to type up all of my thoughts here.

I see the irony though : 3

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mysterious box said:

I'm confused why people keep talking like you had to stay at 1 hp to do reasonable damage she still dealt reasonable damage before this change without having to stay at 1 hp in fact outside of bosses I found nothing she struggled with.

The damage bonus for missing health was not linear.  Abi would deal about +10 damage at 50% health, but up to about +50 at 1 health.  This meant trying to use Abi in fights where you wanted her to deal damage you needed to be very low health yourself.  It wasn't really a good "I took a hit now Abi helps me" mechanic as much as it was "abi's damage is low or my health is low, so one of us does the thing while the other goes away."

This is why people are saying they need to be at 1 hp, because 20% of Abi's bonus damage came from dropping from 10 to 1 health.

Edited by Shosuko
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Owlrus98 said:

VS

....I mean.....eh?

"Group X that said something vs Group Y which said something different, lol the irony xd"

• Thanks 1

Nice update, the changes sound pretty good. I'm looking forward to Abigails cave damage again :)

I, like many others, also think that the health-based damage was an interesting idea, but the scaling was really bad. I'm glad the day-night damage difference is now back, I liked that mechanic.

So, if I understand correctly, she deals the same damage to single and multiple enemies now? 

• Like 7

One thing I will say if these refreshes keep going the way of pure power climbs which I'm ok if it does I do feel like kiel should revisit characters with more punishing downsides and time consuming perks like warly and wurt because the effort to reach the full extent of their perks vs the other refreshed characters doesn't come close.

I find the petal debuff that Abigail gives interesting and like the idea for it in multiplayer, I almost wish it would work better for allies than for Wendy herself just to highlight her weakness but I'm not too hung up about it, maybe if they added a weakness where Wendy took more damage....

As for the damage Abigail does, I like the day/night cycle but I also liked the idea of Abigail hitting harder when Wendy was in danger, I found it gave me a unique perspective on my health bar and i had a lot of fun with it, I'll end up missing either mechanic they don't have. Most importantly though....

YES! YES! YES! Hypo aggressive Abigail is back! I was so scared I would never see this again after the hotfix! Thank you so much!!!! This ability to steadily aggro everything on the map including things fighting other players and passive mobs is by far my favorite thing about the refresh. That mixed with the new smoothness of summoning and unsummoning Abigail has made this update everything I've hoped for, I appreciate the rest but personally I find it just icing on the cake. Thank you Klei for bringing this back!

• Like 6

The petal debuff is mostly aimed at single targets. However against bosses, it will remain useless. Bosses deal 100+ damage to Abi per swing, and nearly all of them use AOE attacks, so she will die very quickly anyway, no tunics will help her here.

I think that the defensive tunic should give Abi some sort of damage mitigation, that would go a long way to make Abi a much more reliable combat oriented NPC assistant.

The point is not to make Abi solo bosses, but to allow her to give meaningful contribution to the fight without dying in 3 attacks.

She is a dedicated combat NPC, and she comes with a very big penalty to Wendy's damage, so she should be at least a good all-rounder that can tackle all kind of opponents: From spiders to bosses.

Edited by Steve Raptor
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Hello Mr. Hansen.You guys are awesome.Thank you for listening to the excellent ideas of the community.Klei is the best gaming company I've ever met. klei always stand with the player.So your success is inevitable.I'm a big fan of yours!Thank you all for your hard work!:D

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Cuikui said:

@CremeLover How do you get 0.45 and 0.9 second for the duration of the animations ?

Spriter gives me 0.5 and 1 second.

Checking the animation again, it does last for a full second, but the animation assets for the upgraded shield appear at milisecond 100 of the animation, and now that I look at it, I also notice they dissapear at 967, so there are 867 miliseconds of actual animation and 133 seconds of padding.

Since I wasn't sure how the game handled the animations, and spriter is an alien program to me, so I just converted it to a more familiar animated gif and measure the length of it, and it seems spriter cut the empty frames when exporting the animation.

So yes, that's where the 0.45 and 0.9 come in. Spriter chopping it off when exporting.

The game probably uses the full animation and not just the frames that have assets, so you're most likely right it does use 0.5 and 1s respectively. Thanks for noting.

• Like 1

Why not keep both damage multiplier mechanics? Time of the day based damage, and Wendy's health reduction/Abigail increase damage. Don't see why that would be an issue and I believe both would fit the character.
My "issue" with the rework was that the tonics lasted very little time, and that Abigail was still slower than Wendy when normally walking, The rest was great! 
So i'm very happy with the new update I would only ask that Abigail speed would match Wendys speed (like the little new ghost we have to assist does).

Again, thank you very much for taking care of us and the game Klei, you guys are awesome!

Edited by Cleyven
  • Like 2

Oh thank goodness the new tonic still uses the stinger, those things end up filling so much space in base!! Although if it was to be stinger+nightmare fuel it would be even better

Thank you for the update, I am loving this rework :)

Edited by DwerBomb
  • Like 2

I’m a bit disappointed because the health-tied damage have gone. I found this play style much more interesting than day/night damage. Having Wendy at 30-50HP and extra 10-15 damage from Abigail sound ideal for me

Edited by camelot
  • Like 2

I kind of miss the mechanic since I was fighting alongside abigail because I couldn't have her tank and... I almost entirely ignored the fact that I was at 1hp by riding a beefalo, and that kind of defeats the point, doesn't it? If it still existed, it would have to cap out when wendy's at around 40 hp so she's still able to fight when armored. That, or make it temporary or somehow exhaust abigail to make it clear this is a plan B and not a good idea. But changing it this many times would be a lot of effort.

As always my soul resonates with everything swanky said.

Edited by Confused Rock

Deerclops, the first boss where wendy's damage modifier really needs to be considered, is able to kill abigail in five hits. Abigail will not dodge deerclops. This is one of many situations where wendy won't be able to compensate for her lower damage, and there it really matters. I completely disagree that wendy has no downsides, and that recent changes have made for fewer and fewer downsides. A lot of characters have negligible downsides! The oldest character to have any awful ones is webber.

It has always felt weird to me though that wendy's only downside is that she's worse in combat while her upside is that she's better in it.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

So, Wendy's Downside doesn't matter, once again, great, why do they even add Downsides when they dont impact the character gameplay anymore

• Abigail takes increased damage from most bosses (e.g. Treeguards, Deerclops, etc.) and dies quickly if not supported by Wendy
  • Shadows or Nightmares are not affected by Abigail
  • Abigail does not always target the mob you are attacking right now

Wendy still has a harder time to deal against bosses.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, FuffledBeeQueen said:

So, Wendy's Downside doesn't matter, once again, great, why do they even add Downsides when they dont impact the character gameplay anymore

It never made a difference as Abigail rewarded her lack of damage with her own damage, and just like before, her downside kicks in when she is without Abigail. It can be most of but it's not at all times that she will be with you, as always.

Now it was improved and you can help allies. Wendy and Abigail are such a good pair now, but as a team they work even better. I understand your opinions but there is nothing to complain about, Wendy was never a complicated character and I see no reason to be now. 

I don’t play with her because she's easy but because of the unique gameplay she had, which has now returned and was improved.

Edited by Toriih
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1