[Game Update] - 401443

It’s obviously not going to please everyone, but glass canon isn’t what Wendy should be, she’s an Easier character to play and therefore the sudden change to make her more of a Challenge Character was a strange one.

Wendys character select screen says she feels comfortable in the Dark..

THATS Why Abigail deals more damage during Dark.... and That’s also Why Wendy can now use Abigails glowing ghostly light as a personal emergency light source.

Wendy mains Prior to her Refresh will understand..

Edited by Mike23Ua
  • Like 18

1 minute ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

same here. I saw the patch and get hype but when i read it was like cold water

It went from high risk high reward to just boring snooze cruise.
Which is even more of a punch in the gut considering that THEN a mechanic was added that makes wendy deal more damage after Abigail attacked a foe
which yknow could've been genuinely interesting. But hey I guess it cant be asked to have ANY textural debth in the gameplay, since we gotta just all sit on the meta for some reason. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

It’s obviously not going to please everyone, but glass canon isn’t what Wendy should be, she’s an Easier character to play and therefore the sudden change to make her more of a Challenge Character was a strange one.

Wendys character select screen says she feels comfortable in the Dark..

THATS Why Abigail deals more damage during Dark.... and That’s also Why Wendy can now use Abigails glowing ghostly light as a personal emergency light source.

Wendy mains Prior to her Refresh will understand..

1. before this change, wendy wasn't a super hard character to begin with dude, she was just At Her Best when she was lower hp, you would do pretty decent abby damage just at half and you could have a football helmet on from there. the different in this change isn't from hard to easy, it's from interesting to Veritably less interesting and lower of a skill ceiling, since now theres no point in getting low health.

2. her character select screen says that because she gets less sanity penalty from night/dusk, it's not referencing hugging abigail to get through the night :I

• Like 10

Are people complaining about the changes Wendy mains or did they just pick her up with this rework? Because honestly..

I'm glad the elixirs got their durations extended and you have a way to force the extra damage with an elixir. The damage buff seems interesting, maybe a bug will make it stack with itself lol

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Zheos said:

Are people complaining about the changes Wendy mains or did they just pick her up with this rework? Because honestly..

I'm glad the elixirs got their durations extended and you have a way to force the extra damage with an elixir. The damage buff seems interesting, maybe a bug will make it stack with itself lol

i played her since she was release and abigails haunts her to kill her every night and im so upset with that change

Edited by ArubaroBeefalo

Just now, Zheos said:

Reread the thing again
they changed the way Abigail's damage works again

before it was based on the day/night cycle, was then changed to just increase when wendy is low hp and NOW its back to the day/night cycle

• Like 1

@ScottHansen It appears that attacking Abigail as the owner does not put Abigail back to her flower but instead kills her instantly like it was before, which is bit annoying since she'll loose all the buffs when doing it. But now you can also use the flower on Abigail to make her return too, without loosing buffs. If that's still the case: Could 'attacking abigail as Wendy' be adjusted to 'using the flower on her' instead of 'killing Abigail instantly'? Not everyone knows about that feature right now and some still play Wendy the old style by attacking Abigail once they don't need her.

• Thanks 9

3 minutes ago, Viktor234 said:

@ScottHansen It appears that attacking Abigail as the owner does not put Abigail back to her flower but instead kills her instantly like it was before, which is bit annoying since she'll loose all the buffs when doing it. But now you can also use the flower on Abigail to make her return too, without loosing buffs. If that's still the case: Could 'attacking abigail as Wendy' be adjusted to 'using the flower on her' instead of 'killing Abigail instantly'? Not everyone knows about that feature right now and some still play Wendy the old style by attacking Abigail once they don't need her.

This is a Console player problem especially because if I’m in battle fighting hounds with Abby and then accidentally smack Abby, she dies.. can we just remove the Ability to smack Abby altogether??? <3

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Zheos said:

Are people complaining about the changes Wendy mains or did they just pick her up with this rework?

Does it matter? We're all playing and experiencing the same character rework, regardless of the amount of experience before that rework.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Zheos said:

I'm a Wendy main, always have been.

As for these recent changes I think they're just fine, if anything I think abigail's petal thing could potentially make dragonfly rushing as Wendy faster then pre-rework.

Heck I wonder if two wendies(or a wendy and a wes) and one abigail with night damage could knock down dragonfly for the second scale(using dark swords/glass cutters), since the petal thing should make them do more then 51 damage with a dark sword or glass cutter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For anyone wondering about the damage modifiers against debuffed targets, it seems to be 1.1X for all players/allies, and 1.155X as Wendy only. This stacks with any damage multiplier (if a player uses spiced volt goat chaud froid against a wet target, they will do 3.3X damage, and Wendy will do 3.465X damage).

Its an interesting change, since this is technically the first real debuff in the game that’s not direct freezing or burning. I would like to see more interesting things like this.

Edit: should probably mention the 1.115X damage for Wendy is calculated after the initial damage reduction. For comparison, Wes will hit for 0.825X against the same target.

Edited by Maxil20
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 5

Thanks to Klei, this return was excellent, even for lore, 
because Wendy goes out during the day in the animation and her sister appears at night, 
showing that she always in the dark protects her sister from the terrible darkness, 
showing that she protects at all hours of the day , 
but at night it shows its true shape showing its full potential.
  • Like 5

In regards to the health mechanic, the day-night one is probably a remnant of the old Wendy before the strange new powers update in Single Player, where she haunted you through the night at random, while the one is more adherent to the actual theme of Abigail coming back from the dead to protect her sister, and gaining strenght as she becomes closer to death.

I still need to look at the numbers, but honeslty, Wendy was never supposed to be a glass cannon type of character. The health mechanic was an okay replacement, but it also means the viewpoint you had when you played the character was shifted entirely.

I think the reworks are supposed to flesh out some of the characters, without changing them too much (with an exception of the big 3 that were revamped earlier because they had their problems)

The glass cannon character was always supposed to be Maxwell in the first place, while Wendy was always supposed to be the weak character with a benefit of a cute ghost that aided her for her lack of damage. I'm sure Maxwell will shine in his glass cannon role when he gets reworked.

In short, while the mechanic was okay, it never fitted what Wendy's playstyle have always been since her inception.

4 minutes ago, Maxil20 said:

For anyone wondering about the damage modifiers against debuffed targets, it seems to be 1.1X for all players/allies, and 1.115X as Wendy only. This stacks with any damage multiplier (if a player uses spiced volt goat chaud froid against a wet target, they will do 3.3X damage, and Wendy will do 3.345X damage).

Its an interesting change, since this is technically the first real debuff in the game that’s not direct freezing or burning. I would like to see more interesting things like this.

Edit: should probably mention the 1.115X damage for Wendy is calculated after the initial damage reduction. For comparison, Wes will hit for 0.825X against the same target.

Dam, you beat me to it.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Does it matter? We're all playing and experiencing the same character rework, regardless of the amount of experience before that rework.

Yes it matters, because the changes they make don’t just apply to the PC Version of the game...

they have to do what’s best for Xbox and PS4 as well- And Because Console players could not Quickly Apply Elixirs to Abigail without entering a idle stance to do so... the Elixirs needed to last significantly longer.

The same applies to the lower HP tied to Wendy Remember those of us playing on Console we had to stand completely still and enter into an Idle menu tab in order to heal up Abigail, and we obviously can’t do that in mid-combat or with dangerously low HP.

IDC if it made the game easier for some of you guys... because it made something that was Borderline unplayable on Console- Playable again.

I WISH Potions on console could be changed to be more like Wortox Souls.. you can just scroll to and instant use them instead of having to drag and apply them onto Abigails flower...

This would’ve solved ALOT of problems (and probably could still be considered for a future QoL Console update) but for now- Longer Lasting Elixirs is the simplest Solution.

So from now on please consider that Klei has to make this game not just on PC but also PS4, Xbox and likely Nintendo in the future. Thanks :) 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

This is a Console player problem especially because if I’m in battle fighting hounds with Abby and then accidentally smack Abby, she dies.. can we just remove the Ability to smack Abby altogether??? <3

Not just for console players, it's for anyone using a gamepad on PC too. It's a really unnecessary mechanic.

• Like 5

Prefer this version over the previous mostly because it encourages cooperative play more with the marginal defense reduction against enemies.

Personally I did not like the glass cannon effect Wendy previously had on Abigail. The fact that you had to constantly keep your health at the absolute minimum to get the most out of Abigail was not very interesting. It just required extra attention to health to keep going and that is just tedious. If the max damage possible was achieved at like 50 health so that it didn't require CONSTANT attention and backing up to heal just above the minimum health to survive another hit then it would have been better but even then it would pretty much be free extra damage at virtually no cost. So, i'm quite happy with the change back to the time changing her damage.

But that's just my opinion.

ALSO, any chance some changes to the speed potion could be made? Unless there is some grand use for super fast Abigail that I am unaware of it just seems not useful for any real situation. Maybe some adjustments could be made to allow Abigail to murder birds when the potion is applied or maybe it could drastically increase Abigail's light radius on top of the speed boost to change her into a ghostly lamp.

Edited by ButterStuffed
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, ButterStuffed said:

Prefer this version over the previous mostly because it encourages cooperative play more with the marginal defense reduction against enemies.

Personally I did not like the glass cannon effect Wendy previously had on Abigail. The fact that you had to constantly keep your health at the absolute minimum to get the most out of Abigail was not very interesting. It just required extra attention to health to keep going and that is just tedious. If the max damage possible was achieved at like 50 health so that it didn't require CONSTANT attention and backing up to heal just above the minimum health to survive another hit then it would have been better but even then it would pretty much be free extra damage at virtually no cost. So, i'm quite happy with the change back to the time changing her damage.

But that's just my opinion.

ALSO, any chance some changes to the speed potion could be made? Unless there is some grand use for super fast Abigail that I am unaware of it just seems not useful for any real situation. Maybe some adjustments could be made to allow Abigail to murder birds when the potion is applied or maybe it could drastically increase Abigail's light radius on top of the speed boost to change her into a ghostly lamp.

With her aggressiveness restored, Vigor Mortis allow Abigail to outrun koalefants, gobblers, butterflies, rabbits and volt goats. In other words, all those pesky critters that are always a pain to hit.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

I don't really see the appeal of glass cannon Wendy the constant fear of death knowing that one small mistake means you die to anything sounds like something I wouldn't want to deal with even the best player will mess up and die if you can only make one mistake and your done. I think that the time based damage isn't that bad considering how easy it is to get mourning glories to make the potion to get full damage. I like that they made Abby more team based for not just Wendy but everyone I think it was a good idea.

Edited by Educated Fish
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1