On topic "Tips on how to be Courteous to Fellow Players"

4 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

What an experience player is/isn't (and yes, you can attempt an objective way of defining "experienced DST player") shouldn't be the focus of a "Tips on how to be Courteous to Fellow Players" thread. Courteous implies a positive, helpful mindset. If is conditioned by various factors, isn't really courteous, aka etiquette - that's immutable in any context. Give positive advices, not bickering regarding random stuff.

Reveal hidden contents

Also you should probably stop with your own subjective assessments like the "superiority complex" one and other "verdicts" pulled from the thin blue (to be polite - as per the topic), I doubt you know Viktor to make such assumptions. And it's rather ironic.

I disagree. It absolutely SHOULD be one of many things discussed in a "Tips on how to be Courteous to Fellow Players" thread because good manners imply NOT treating your fellow players as better/less than each other AND not pushing this gatekeeping mindset. You certainly can 'attempt' to objectively quantify 'experience', much like you can 'attempt' to objectively define what makes a good player. That doesn't make the concept of an experienced/good player any less subjective. 

Since you didn't actually explain why you think this discussion is off-topic, the only interpretation I can think of from you that would make this off-topic is the idea that you completely missed the point of my comments, as evident in your hidden comment where you apparently think that I'm judging Viktor instead of criticizing his rhetoric. I'm directly defending CaptainChaotica's comment at the top of page 3, so if you're going to say that this discussion is off-topic, you have to argue that the ENTIRETY of page 3 and a small part of page 2 is off-topic.

Let me clarify and simplify what I'm doing so that you don't misinterpret it again: I'm calling out the UNCOURTEOUS but very common "you have to do X to be a real Y" gatekeeping tactic Viktor is using that fosters an in-group mindset. If it helps you understand what I'm calling out much better, this form of gatekeeping is akin to what you see in the high-IQ Rick and Morty copypasta. 

• Like 4

I have some points that I found helpful regarding being courteous (if it's repeated I apologize, just some things I keep to heart)

When someone new joins and says hello, say hi back! I've been on both sides of this and it doesn't work well to working together by ignoring someone who says hi or being ignored when you say hi 

Try to help someone who's struggling. If someone needs help, if you can help them. Don't just let them die because you don't think they're good enough.

If someone is dead for a while, make an effort to help them revive. I've seen so many times people ignoring dead players because they can't be bothered or they can deal with the sanity drain so it's "not there problem". Not very courteous!

Sharing is caring. Leave useful tools lying around near spawn to help new players get started, or signs leading to resources if you know the location.

When eating from other people's fridge, don't take everything. Just fill your stomach. 2 meatballs will do and it's very cheap. And that's all I can think of for now. Oh! No one likes the person who takes things so seriously especially on the impermanent public servers, so try to keep things light, friendly and fun!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

also if you are on a pub base with dedicated grass/twigs/farm plots/stonefruit/seaweed areas and the server is empty please pick it and store it in the appropriate chest/fridge/saltbox. it kind of sucks to lose resources because noone was around to do basic maintenance. a little bit of tidying up does go a long way if you are going to be at base

Edited by gaymime
forgot a word
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

This should apply to Chester too.

Using chester just for more inventory slots feels like a **** move, considering that others might need chester more than you for tasks like transporting resources from one location to another one.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

Using chester just for more inventory slots feels like a **** move, considering that others might need chester more than you for tasks like transporting resources from one location to another one.

Regardless of how he's being used, it would still feel a little irritating for someone you don't know to rummage around inside without asking first. 

Stars above you want to be treated like actual dirt pick Wes. I've seen it all: kicked before I can even harvest a twig, S.-Talked constantly even though I am well aware of what i'm doing, (More so then them but oh my i don't want to start stuff so I zip it.), building almost everything in the base and then told shortly after that I'm a waste of food. The list is endless. I just wish people would relax and stop being so rude. 

So, uh don't do that please? :'3 You hurting my feelings.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Here are my suggestions to players :

New players, PLEASE try some solo first. You can also use the Too Many Items Plus mod to experiment around with the game's mechanics. Try to survive your first winter without cheats. If you can achive that, feel free to go play on a pub.

If you revive someone, make sure they can get back to surviving well. So many times have i been/seen someone be revived at the worst possible time, or be revived and just left alone completely vulnerable. Try to make sure the person you revived will live until they find a means of sustaining themselves.

Don't listen to stereotypes a lot. There are many wx players who spare the gears for everyone during a ruins rush and many willows who use their bernies well instead of burning everything. Heck, there are even weses that carry worlds for an entire year! Just don't assume someone by their character on first sight.

If you feel like you can't contribute to something anymore, just stop. Its rough, but having to carry someone is extremely infuriating, and you might just get kicked for being bad at the game like I was on my first game.

If you're not sure if what you're doing is contributing or efficient, ask about it. Its ok to not know, but its not to pretend to know.

Veterans be nice, don't just rage because Xx_WilsonMain_xX accidentally made monster lasagna. Just tell him not to put more than 2 mons meat in a crock pot and forget about it. Then again, if someone "accidentally" does something stupid a lot, he may possibly be a griefer.

If something looks like its dangerous, you should probably stay away from it. You never know when that wierd green mushroom that some veteran exploded a yellow bird on is the secret final boss of the game.

On 8/9/2020 at 10:10 AM, ShadowDuelist said:

If you need to check or use the inventory of a Woby you do not own, first ask politely the owner, and only check its contents if they allow you to.

honeslty i don't mind ppl checking wobies, the problem is when they think they can just take stuff from it

• Like 4

On 9/17/2020 at 6:26 AM, Pootis Bird said:

If you revive someone, make sure they can get back to surviving well. So many times have i been/seen someone be revived at the worst possible time, or be revived and just left alone completely vulnerable. Try to make sure the person you revived will live until they find a means of sustaining themselves.

I'm guilty of this lol, and i sometimes catch myself doing it for my entertainment.

I agree that one should survive a winter on his own before going pub, that's a pretty good starting point.

There is a line between being nice and babysitting, which varies from player to player. I instantly distance myself or ignore players who ask for everything and just require constant babysitting, but i gladly help and give advice to those who ask nice and are trying to learn.

I don't buy this "don't ask where base is" thing. If someone asks, I'm telling them. And I'm telling them the cardinal direction. Just saying "pk", when someone doesn't know where it is, is pointless. Having a player waste 5+ days trying to find base, making stuff like science machine/crock pot that's already made, is a waste of the resource that is that player's time and effort. I'd rather have that player working on the stuff we do need all the sooner. If you don't think the player is worth having contribute to the base, why are you playing on public?

• Like 3

22 hours ago, FairyInABottle said:

I don't buy this "don't ask where base is" thing. If someone asks, I'm telling them. And I'm telling them the cardinal direction. Just saying "pk", when someone doesn't know where it is, is pointless. Having a player waste 5+ days trying to find base, making stuff like science machine/crock pot that's already made, is a waste of the resource that is that player's time and effort. I'd rather have that player working on the stuff we do need all the sooner. If you don't think the player is worth having contribute to the base, why are you playing on public?

usually people who are willing to contribute are more than capable of finding the base on their own in a few days, because they will explore(assuming base is not hidden or something). Not everyone, but the vast majority of those who ask where is base straight away, are either beginners or trolls.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, BeeClops said:

usually people who are willing to contribute are more than capable of finding the base on their own in a few days, because they will explore(assuming base is not hidden or something). Not everyone, but the vast majority of those who ask where is base straight away, are either beginners or trolls.

seconded, especially considering the latter threat is a constant presence in public servers.

• Like 1

Here's some courtesy tips regarding the Reap What You Sow update that's about to forever change our interaction with farming, crops and agriculture. Planting methods, planning and plant care constitutes an important part of the new system. Therefore it is often important not to mess up other players' plans if they are working on a scheme that'll yield many great crops for all. That said, it's equally important for knowledgeable players not to monopolize the new farm plots for themselves and prevent other players' enjoyment of a great new system. It's the balance that counts.

Placing Farm Tiles: If you're already an advanced farmer, consider making a community plot of 2-4 farming tiles first that everyone can freely plant, research and take advantage of. You likely won't have the specified crops for some time so it's beneficial anyway to have a plot for converting random seeds everyone finds to something useful. That way, people will also know where they should plant if they want to try the new farming and not mess up planned farms. You can then make plots of yourself and ask people not to randomly plant stuff in there to go to moon with your methods of monoculture or crop pairings.

Planting Seeds: If you have seeds in hand and want to plant them, it's often a good idea to ask if it's okay to plant them in a plot that was built by somebody else. If you're Wormwood, you can plant seeds without tilling the ground and you can plant outside of farm tiles (at the expense of not being able to water or fertilize them). Try not to overcrowd farm tiles and plant more than 10 crops as it'll add stress points to all crops and damage the yield, unless it's your explicit intention to get a variety of crops ASAP. when newly planted, random seeds and specified seeds look very differently (random seeds look like actual grass), so you can take a hint on on which tiles is it okay to plant random seeds and which tiles are being used for special purposes.

Helping with planted crops: If you're new and want to help, the easiest way you can help with farming is to lend a hand with watering and tending needs. Tending an untended crop will greatly increase its chances of a better yield, same with sufficiently hydrated crops. These tasks can't be done wrong (i.e. you can't overwater or re-tend an already tended plant) If the watering can is emptied or almost empty on your account, please don't leave it empty without notice; either notify that its empty or better go to the closest pond for a refilling trip. It's often helpful to have more than one watering cans in circulation. Most farming tools don't need to be carried everywhere as they claim inventory space so ideally you should share the tools by leaving them close to the farming tiles. But, if you're in a public server and fearful that the tools will be stolen and won't be returned, you can prefer to store them somewhere safer. 

Tending crops all at once: You can also tend the crops en masse by playing musical instruments near them, ensuring every crop nearby is tended. It'll often regarded very wasteful to waste pan flute uses for this task so please don't do that. Excess Beefalo horns are good for this task in most cases as it gives them a use before being turned into beefalo hats. Please make sure not to use it if it's about to break (10% durability) or bring an uninvited herd of nearby beefalos into the middle of the base. Best item suited for this task by far is One Man Band, which can be crafted with a prestihatitator and can easily be used for days to quickly take out, tend crops and put away. After the Lord of the Fruitflies is defeated, this task will mostly be automated by the friendly fruitfly, but take a note that it may not reach all crops if the garden/plantation is very large. If you're a Wes player, music is the only way you can tend farms so consider making yourself a one man band.

Harvesting: Everyone loves harvesting the results of hard work. But especially if it's a collaborative effort, please make sure everyone benefits from the results. Store crops in the community ice box/salt box/chest and please place the specified crops somewhere safe, like a chest, tackle box or a seed pack-it. They'll be very important for making bigger, more specialized farms. Toma root seeds are especially important since they are useful in so many crop rotation combos in all seasons but winter. If you're seeing seed names as adjectives like "pointy, oblong, spiky, etc." that means you don't have them researched yet so it's a good idea to equip a gardening hat and research them once planted on soil. Knowledge is power. It might not be immediately obvious but you can easily reach your plant registry anytime by right clicking the gardening hat you're wearing. Fertilizers can also be researched to see which item corresponds to what nutrients.

Fertilizing: Fertilizing too is often a universally beneficial act like watering and tending but it is more intricate and it can be wasteful to randomly fertilize plots with manure, rot and spoiled fish.

Composting Bin is a great structure that helps everyone channel their excess organic material into useful compost. As Rot and Rotten eggs are inferior types of compost, it may seem beneficial to throw them in but both have their uses in important craftables such as gunpowder and booster shot so it should only be done if they're excess in quantity. Compost is useful for growing Corn, Asparagus, Durian and Garlic.

Manure types are crucial in growing Potatoes, Eggplants, Peppers, and Dragonfruits through monoculture so it's helpful to pick random pieces of manure and guano throughout your travels. Try not wasting them as fuel for fire if they are being saved for a large monoculture project. Bucket of poop is a much better use of manure than raw poop as long as you have excess bone shards. Also please don't leave manure or guano lying down in the ground at base as it'll make annoying fly noises for everyone. Bucket of poop doesn't have such a sound effect thus can safely be placed on the ground.

Spoiled fish and fish morsel are now a great source of bone shards when hammered so they are better used for those purposes. That said, community servers are often filled with skeletons all around and if the base is stacked with bone shards, these can be a good alternative for growth formula early on if materials for making growth formula aren't around. If you're off to seafaring and find bottles, bringing one or two back  to base will permanently upgrade your capacity to make growth formula, especially for some great crops like Pumpkins, Onions, Pomegranates, and Carrots.

If you're playing as Wormwood, please try not to be wasteful with the fertilisers in the camp by using them all for healing. There are much better healing methods for you, like sleeping, healing salves and honey poultices. Compost Wraps are the best fertilizers in game so it'll be helpful for farmers if you make some for the camp and store them in chests. Glommer's goop it the only other fertilizer besides compost wrap useful for all nutrient types so excess goop should be saved and used for tiles that are depleted of any nutrients.   

Weeds: Weeds are often harmful to your yield as they cause stress to your plants both directly by just being there and indirectly by sucking nutrients out of the soil. It's often helpful to shovel them out when spotted. Still, they do have some uses and some consideration is advised.

Spiny Bindweeds are almost never useful so if you see an unaware player get attacked by them, help them by identifying the root cause (literally) and shovel it out.

Forget-me-lots are the most common type of weeds and can be annoying as they have a chance of spawning randomly on untended farm tiles but they can be used to make Soothing Tea- quite a nice sanity recipe made with a forget me lots, ice and honey. As such, if they are growing in a community tile where nutrient balance or stress factors don't matter a lot, it's often useful to let them grow their flower, harvest them and then dig them out, which'll give 2 flowers for two cups of tea.

Tillweeds have a use in making a healing item called Tillweed salve but it isn't very good. Still, it might be courteous to save them instead of throwing them into the nearest composting bin. If it seems like someone's specifically conserving Tillweeds, it might help to ask their intentions as they might be looking to utilize their Garden Detriti spawning abilities for minetals.

Fire Nettles are often dangerous as they hurt nearby players and cause fever effect but it might be beneficial to conserve one, especially during winter as a somewhat effective source of on-demand heating in exchange for miniscule damage. 

Finally Wickerbottom's books got tweaked so she can no longer spawn infinite food. The new "Horticulture, Abridged" only grows 10 random food producing plants. It might not be beneficial to ask a Wickerbottom player to sacrifice their sanity for 10 berries. Also growing the farm crops with the book prevents them from growing into giant crops or 2-seed granting crops in some instances so while you might want to be helpful as a Wickerbottom player, it can harm someone else's plans of growing giant crops if you read your book mindlessly in the middle of a garden. The book best serves in high yield bushes like juicy berries and stone fruit bushes, as well as growing the random seeds quickly for getting specified crops quickly. You should best ask if it's okay to read the book if you intend to helping the farms with it, as it can clash with other's plans of getting better rewards through natural tending process.

Above all, have fun farming and engaging with the new system. It's a great system in my opinion; not punishing those not looking to tend farms but very rewarding for those willing to put some elbow grease. It might seem a bit overwhelming at first but by all metrics the new system is more engaging and rewarding, even for those not wanting to put any effort in. You don't have to make giant crops, they are simply the bonus reward for perfectly attended farms. It'll all make more sense to you if you fill your plant registry so try to research any new crop stages you see in the farms with a gardener hat and don't hesitate to consult others. Good luck farming and bon a petit!

1404896717_Cropsforall.thumb.jpg.225f410674f2861d896b79ac739f3bdf.jpg

Edited by SinancoTheBest
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

On 12/14/2020 at 4:41 AM, SinancoTheBest said:

........Sobre todo, diviértete cultivando e involucrando con el nuevo sistema. Es un gran sistema en mi opinión; no castigar a aquellos que no buscan cuidar granjas, pero muy gratificante para aquellos dispuestos a poner un poco de grasa de codo. Puede parecer un poco abrumador al principio, pero con todas las métricas el nuevo sistema es más atractivo y gratificante, incluso para aquellos que no quieren poner ningún esfuerzo en. Usted no tiene que hacer cosechas gigantes, son simplemente la recompensa de bonificación para granjas perfectamente atendidas. Todo tendrá más sentido para usted si llena su registro de planta así que trate de investigar cualquier nueva etapa de cultivo que vea en las granjas con un sombrero de jardinero y no dude en consultar a otros. Buena suerte cultivando y bon a petit!

Me encanta que alguien se tome el tiempo de hacer una mini guía de estos tipos. 

Gracias por la información, la tendre muy en cuenta.

• Thanks 1

On 3/1/2020 at 9:32 PM, meepmoop said:

I always have a dilemma of how to approach in helping. should I just build stuff as I see fit or should I give matirels to the people who are more veterans in the group?

I would play as you see fit, but also learn from the veterans.  Don’t let yourself get bossed around by them, though.  Have confidence!

If you have a Wormwood on your team, be very careful with bee box placement. Wormwoods who tend to gardens will try to be in a bloom state often, which will lead to bees being on him 24/7. This will not only interrupt his work and stop the bee’s honey production, but wormwood will also become a killer magnet once Spring rolls around.

Ensure that bee boxes and farm plots are a significant distance away from each other.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2020 at 7:54 AM, 1bubbainpa said:

If you have a Wormwood on your team, be very careful with bee box placement. Wormwoods who tend to gardens will try to be in a bloom state often, which will lead to bees being on him 24/7. This will not only interrupt his work and stop the bee’s honey production, but wormwood will also become a killer magnet once Spring rolls around.

Ensure that bee boxes and farm plots are a significant distance away from each other.

Honestly, it isnt that bad actually. The bees just focus on the trail of flowers and dont attack wormwood, though I dont remember if they attack other players

On 12/24/2020 at 9:49 AM, deathpie said:

I would play as you see fit, but also learn from the veterans.  Don’t let yourself get bossed around by them, though.  Have confidence!

This is a tricky rope to walk. I normally ask before I take over. 

"Hey, I'm going to build an organized beginning base. If you WANT to help, let me know."

Something along the lines of that. Now if someone joins demanding stuff saying,"YOU ROCKS NOW!" that's rude. All it takes is, 

"Hey, can you grab some rocks for me? If you can't that's fine."

Sincerely,

Cactus

On 6/11/2020 at 3:30 AM, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Can you people pls get your personal disagreements debated in PMs?! Last page of this thread is mostly off-topic. Ty!

It REALLY seemed like you were part of the problem dude. Kind of hypocritical isn't it?

On 6/12/2020 at 4:20 PM, Intrepidpioneer said:

Try to help someone who's struggling. If someone needs help, if you can help them. Don't just let them die because you don't think they're good enough.

If I revive someone dies 3 times within' 10 days I don't revive them anymore. They are a waste of resources, and take up too much of my time and health IMO.

Sincerely,

Cactus

Edited by RoughCactus69