fimmatek

On topic "Tips on how to be Courteous to Fellow Players"

MagicalSkies    856

This one has probably already been said, but drop your stuff before you leave! That way others can use it if you’re not joining again.

And please read what the server says, if it says you need to use a microphone, if it says you need certain age, if it says it’s going to have a lot of swearing, make sure you meet those requirements! 

• Like 3

Rinkusan    1079
4 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

What an experience player is/isn't (and yes, you can attempt an objective way of defining "experienced DST player") shouldn't be the focus of a "Tips on how to be Courteous to Fellow Players" thread. Courteous implies a positive, helpful mindset. If is conditioned by various factors, isn't really courteous, aka etiquette - that's immutable in any context. Give positive advices, not bickering regarding random stuff.

Reveal hidden contents

Also you should probably stop with your own subjective assessments like the "superiority complex" one and other "verdicts" pulled from the thin blue (to be polite - as per the topic), I doubt you know Viktor to make such assumptions. And it's rather ironic.

I disagree. It absolutely SHOULD be one of many things discussed in a "Tips on how to be Courteous to Fellow Players" thread because good manners imply NOT treating your fellow players as better/less than each other AND not pushing this gatekeeping mindset. You certainly can 'attempt' to objectively quantify 'experience', much like you can 'attempt' to objectively define what makes a good player. That doesn't make the concept of an experienced/good player any less subjective. 

Since you didn't actually explain why you think this discussion is off-topic, the only interpretation I can think of from you that would make this off-topic is the idea that you completely missed the point of my comments, as evident in your hidden comment where you apparently think that I'm judging Viktor instead of criticizing his rhetoric. I'm directly defending CaptainChaotica's comment at the top of page 3, so if you're going to say that this discussion is off-topic, you have to argue that the ENTIRETY of page 3 and a small part of page 2 is off-topic.

Let me clarify and simplify what I'm doing so that you don't misinterpret it again: I'm calling out the UNCOURTEOUS but very common "you have to do X to be a real Y" gatekeeping tactic Viktor is using that fosters an in-group mindset. If it helps you understand what I'm calling out much better, this form of gatekeeping is akin to what you see in the high-IQ Rick and Morty copypasta. 

• Like 2

I have some points that I found helpful regarding being courteous (if it's repeated I apologize, just some things I keep to heart)

When someone new joins and says hello, say hi back! I've been on both sides of this and it doesn't work well to working together by ignoring someone who says hi or being ignored when you say hi 

Try to help someone who's struggling. If someone needs help, if you can help them. Don't just let them die because you don't think they're good enough.

If someone is dead for a while, make an effort to help them revive. I've seen so many times people ignoring dead players because they can't be bothered or they can deal with the sanity drain so it's "not there problem". Not very courteous!

Sharing is caring. Leave useful tools lying around near spawn to help new players get started, or signs leading to resources if you know the location.

When eating from other people's fridge, don't take everything. Just fill your stomach. 2 meatballs will do and it's very cheap. And that's all I can think of for now. Oh! No one likes the person who takes things so seriously especially on the impermanent public servers, so try to keep things light, friendly and fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

gaymime    3600

also if you are on a pub base with dedicated grass/twigs/farm plots/stonefruit/seaweed areas and the server is empty please pick it and store it in the appropriate chest/fridge/saltbox. it kind of sucks to lose resources because noone was around to do basic maintenance. a little bit of tidying up does go a long way if you are going to be at base

Edited by gaymime
forgot a word
  • Like 4

Sinister_Fang    9328
4 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

If you need to check or use the inventory of a Woby you do not own, first ask politely the owner, and only check its contents if they allow you to.

This should apply to Chester too.

• Like 3

Viktor234    4952
4 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

This should apply to Chester too.

Using chester just for more inventory slots feels like a **** move, considering that others might need chester more than you for tasks like transporting resources from one location to another one.

• Thanks 1

Sinister_Fang    9328
8 hours ago, Viktor234 said:

Using chester just for more inventory slots feels like a **** move, considering that others might need chester more than you for tasks like transporting resources from one location to another one.

Regardless of how he's being used, it would still feel a little irritating for someone you don't know to rummage around inside without asking first. 

QueenDarike    146

Stars above you want to be treated like actual dirt pick Wes. I've seen it all: kicked before I can even harvest a twig, S.-Talked constantly even though I am well aware of what i'm doing, (More so then them but oh my i don't want to start stuff so I zip it.), building almost everything in the base and then told shortly after that I'm a waste of food. The list is endless. I just wish people would relax and stop being so rude. 

So, uh don't do that please? :'3 You hurting my feelings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Pootis Bird    104

Here are my suggestions to players :

New players, PLEASE try some solo first. You can also use the Too Many Items Plus mod to experiment around with the game's mechanics. Try to survive your first winter without cheats. If you can achive that, feel free to go play on a pub.

If you revive someone, make sure they can get back to surviving well. So many times have i been/seen someone be revived at the worst possible time, or be revived and just left alone completely vulnerable. Try to make sure the person you revived will live until they find a means of sustaining themselves.

Don't listen to stereotypes a lot. There are many wx players who spare the gears for everyone during a ruins rush and many willows who use their bernies well instead of burning everything. Heck, there are even weses that carry worlds for an entire year! Just don't assume someone by their character on first sight.

If you feel like you can't contribute to something anymore, just stop. Its rough, but having to carry someone is extremely infuriating, and you might just get kicked for being bad at the game like I was on my first game.

If you're not sure if what you're doing is contributing or efficient, ask about it. Its ok to not know, but its not to pretend to know.

Veterans be nice, don't just rage because Xx_WilsonMain_xX accidentally made monster lasagna. Just tell him not to put more than 2 mons meat in a crock pot and forget about it. Then again, if someone "accidentally" does something stupid a lot, he may possibly be a griefer.

If something looks like its dangerous, you should probably stay away from it. You never know when that wierd green mushroom that some veteran exploded a yellow bird on is the secret final boss of the game.

On 8/9/2020 at 10:10 AM, ShadowDuelist said:

If you need to check or use the inventory of a Woby you do not own, first ask politely the owner, and only check its contents if they allow you to.

honeslty i don't mind ppl checking wobies, the problem is when they think they can just take stuff from it

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pootis Bird said:

honeslty i don't mind ppl checking wobies, the problem is when they think they can just take stuff from it

What I do is I put meaningless items in people's wobies like marble and reeds and mushrooms if I have them just to confuse people

BeeClops    528
On 9/17/2020 at 6:26 AM, Pootis Bird said:

If you revive someone, make sure they can get back to surviving well. So many times have i been/seen someone be revived at the worst possible time, or be revived and just left alone completely vulnerable. Try to make sure the person you revived will live until they find a means of sustaining themselves.

I'm guilty of this lol, and i sometimes catch myself doing it for my entertainment.

I agree that one should survive a winter on his own before going pub, that's a pretty good starting point.

There is a line between being nice and babysitting, which varies from player to player. I instantly distance myself or ignore players who ask for everything and just require constant babysitting, but i gladly help and give advice to those who ask nice and are trying to learn.

I don't buy this "don't ask where base is" thing. If someone asks, I'm telling them. And I'm telling them the cardinal direction. Just saying "pk", when someone doesn't know where it is, is pointless. Having a player waste 5+ days trying to find base, making stuff like science machine/crock pot that's already made, is a waste of the resource that is that player's time and effort. I'd rather have that player working on the stuff we do need all the sooner. If you don't think the player is worth having contribute to the base, why are you playing on public?

• Like 3

BeeClops    528
22 hours ago, FairyInABottle said:

I don't buy this "don't ask where base is" thing. If someone asks, I'm telling them. And I'm telling them the cardinal direction. Just saying "pk", when someone doesn't know where it is, is pointless. Having a player waste 5+ days trying to find base, making stuff like science machine/crock pot that's already made, is a waste of the resource that is that player's time and effort. I'd rather have that player working on the stuff we do need all the sooner. If you don't think the player is worth having contribute to the base, why are you playing on public?

usually people who are willing to contribute are more than capable of finding the base on their own in a few days, because they will explore(assuming base is not hidden or something). Not everyone, but the vast majority of those who ask where is base straight away, are either beginners or trolls.

• Like 1

GetNerfedOn    6249
21 hours ago, BeeClops said:

usually people who are willing to contribute are more than capable of finding the base on their own in a few days, because they will explore(assuming base is not hidden or something). Not everyone, but the vast majority of those who ask where is base straight away, are either beginners or trolls.

seconded, especially considering the latter threat is a constant presence in public servers.