On topic "Tips on how to be Courteous to Fellow Players"

Hello fellow Forum Members! Those of you who've been around for a while probably remember this topic made by @MenaAthena:

It was pinned for quite a long time, however, it has been removed some time ago, I guess in the last year at some point.

I really liked the tips Mena gave, they can be the backbone of a healthy and friendly community. I (still) play quite often on public survival servers with random players of every skill level and these tips are still very actual. "Don't ask where the Base is Right After Joining" (a classic, heh :D), "Don't Pick Everything", "Don't Enter in Winter or Summer" or "If you don't want Strangers, set a Password" are some of the most important and relevant ones and my favourites (in fact, there's been a rant on the latter topic on steam lately (again)).

Does anyone know why this topic got un-pinned? Maybe because it got archived? I think it is still worthy of being on the top of the general forums, so that new players can find it as well. Could we get it back in some way?

Edited by fimmatek
  • Like 35
  • Thanks 1

WHY ON EARTH DO YOU PEOPLE KEEP YOUR SERVERS PUBLIC IF YOU KICK/BAN EVERYONE WHO JOIN??? Just asking...

*takes a deep breath and tries to get calm*

Seriously, I typically load for ages every time I join a server and it really is not nice to get insta-kicked for the fifth time on the same day... Do the people who do that get something out of it? Please show some consideration and politeness... It's ok if you didn't mean to go public, just tell me and I'll go and after that please fix your mistake.

Edited by Mrklli
  • Like 36
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 3
  • Sad Dupe 1

4 hours ago, Axelocke said:

Wait, don't join during Winter or Summer? I've never followed that. What if I like the challenge of starting in winter? :wilson_curious:

Read Mena's original post. It's not forbidden to join in a difficult season, but as she said, don't expect everyone to jump and help you survive. It really annoying when people join and demand full equipment for winter and we usually don't want to run to portal every day with a new themal and hat. If you can survive whenever you join, go for it. 

Mind that these tips are mostly for those who are new to DST, so they can be trivial or unnecessary for experienced players.

Edited by fimmatek
  • Like 15
  • Health 1

For the record, you guys are hating on Willow just to hate.. ANYONE can build a torch.

Ive had Willows join my game and actually be helpful while staying silent, by you know.. cooking me food with her lighter or using Bernie to draw away Crawling Horror & Terrorbeak.

I myself have fallen victim to accidentally burning a base down, but it’s not out of intentional reason.. it’s because Button Binding on Xbox One can sometimes cause you to burn the nearest object while your trying to do something else.

Dont believe me? Drop an inventory full of stuff on the ground and hold a fire staff in your hand.. now drop said fire staff as well, NOW try picking everything back up and watch what happens.

I did have a WES join my session once and attempt to grief in a very unique way by building a million balloons around my pig houses and then setting them off, each balloon that popped was doing damage to my stuff.. so Yeah #BewareofWes, not only does his current Playstyle absolutely freaking suck... but his Balloons do nothing but help him Grief.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 7
  • Health 1
  • Big Ups 2

4 hours ago, Vultureneck said:

Having a fire staff, that was your first mistake.

oNCE I accidentally lit a base on fire when I was wondering how the fire staff worked when I was new to the game.

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

I always have a dilemma of how to approach in helping. should I just build stuff as I see fit or should I give matirels to the people who are more veterans in the group?

Edited by meepmoop
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, meepmoop said:

I always have a dilemma of how to approach in helping. should I just build stuff as I see fit or should I give matirels to the people who are more veterans in the group?

You could always just ask. Although a good way of telling is by looking at the layout of the base. If everything is just thrown around randomly, then no one will likely care where you place anything.

And one more little tip about base building on pubs: if you want to do some reorganization around the base, make sure to let people know before you just pull out that hammer and start smashing things. Not that I learned this lesson from experience or anything...

• Like 3

Courtesy tip:  Don't automatically assume that anyone playing Willow is automatically a griefer.

Also, if you DO join in summer or winter, please only do so if you are an experienced player.  (Of course, the problem with THAT is that inexperienced players don't KNOW how hard summer and winter are yet, so they don't know that they _should_ learn more before joining...)  I personally always at least _try_ to remember to put a firepit of each kind, some trees, and some axes at the portal for exactly that eventuality, but not everyone does.  I also include a helpful sign:

069helpfulsign.png.0c3827b2e9d9903f69749685d4402e27.png

Of course, not all servers will have trees with quite that MUCH firewood to give... (it's a mod, before anyone asks. Actually two mods.  Big Brchnuts Together and Evergreens 2gether.)

Also notice that even though I am a Willow playing alone, it's been over 200 days and that grove still hasn't been burned down.  : P

...Notorious

Edited by CaptainChaotica
  • Like 16
  • Haha 4
  • Health 1
  • Potato Cup 1

Back to the tips for New Players.  

1. Don't expect anyone to help you.  If you can't survive a season don't join.

2. If it is a long running server while in the que I ask if I can join.  If ppl say no I leave.  

3. While in the que look at the player.  Pick a player that will help the team. 

4. If you find the base ask if you can take thing.  Ex.  Can I take this tam on the ground? Can I get some cut grass to make a backpack? Don't assume everything is free for the taking.  Ask first.

• Like 7
  • Sad Dupe 1

A tip:

If you're planning to actively avoid helping newbies or people who have recently joined because of reasons like season harshness or griefing concerns, by the least state your intentions and make things clear. It's rather disheartening for newbies to join servers to receive either cold responses or worse, dead silence, and stumble around a world in growing frustration and desperation with all the grass and twigs in the world relegated elsewhere. 

I'm not trying to discourage people from striking out on their own. However, all I wish to ask for is proper communication whenever possible. That saves a lot of trouble in the long run imo.

Edited by GetNerfedOn
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Axelocke said:

Wait, don't join during Winter or Summer? I've never followed that. What if I like the challenge of starting in winter? :wilson_curious:

I don't have a problem with joining or seeing other people join during winter or summer; I think a better way to formulate that rule would be "if you join during winter or summer, make surviving the elements your own responsibility, not everyone else's". Like, just don't demand that other players drop everything to bring you stuff for keeping warm/cool, and if you do die to the weather either make an arrangement to get resurrected swiftly or leave the server.

Speaking of ghosts: Sometimes people will welcome the chance to use a telltale heart on you if you're dead, because of the massive sanity boost. (Or because they like having the 'reviver' player status, but mostly it's the sanity boost.) Don't hang around as a ghost day in day out draining everybody's sanity with no resurrection plan lined up when you're in a public Survival Mode server, but leaving instantaneously when you die is a little rude too if other players are struggling to get sane. Give people the chance to offer you a heart.

• Like 11

In my case, I leave the firepits and instructions by the entrance because I CAN'T immediately be there, most likely.  I tend to play with Huge worlds and move around a fair bit--_especially_ in harsher seasons, where I have to go further afield to find resources that haven't been picked/withered yet.  But I do TRY to come greet them as soon as I can; it might just not be right away.  (And if I come to greet you at night, expect to be scared crapless by the Stagehand following me around.  XD)

I do also WARN people about the randomised seasons in the description, but of course you can't make people read those...

Anyway yeah I guess I'll just turn that into my Courtesy Tip for this post:  In general, if there's anything unusual (especially if it affects the difficulty) about your server, make sure you LET PEOPLE KNOW.   And, if it isn't your own server (so you couldn't write the description) but you've been there long enough to be at least kinda familiar with it, try to answer new players' questions when they're confused and QUICKLY tell them about possible dangers.  :) 

...Notorious

• Like 2

Instead of asking "where's base" (even for the meme), open up the map and scroll all the way out. There may be a map marker to follow, such as a moonlens, celestial orb, or lazy deserter.

Congrats on the pin btw

Edited by Canis
  • Like 13

When there's a large group of people in the base making food and you're hungry or about to starve, please take a small portion of food ( few berries, stone fruit ) to prevent yourself from reaching 0 hunger or ask someone if you can take a better food item from the fridge ( Honey Ham, Meaty Stew ) instead of standing next to open fridge and blocking others from using it :wilson_laugh:

Edited by bruhmoment23
  • Like 3

Actually I want to add my own tip here, I’m not sure how worlds work on PC (as many of you seem to have problems hosting worlds with caves in them for some reason...) but on Xbox Caves exist and there are PLENTY of Entrance points to get into them...

so it should be rather obvious that if the base is pretty close to a sealed cave entrance.. DO NOT OPEN IT!!! Please? <3 Thanks... Winona’s Spotlight will not Scare the Batilisks Away. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Actually I want to add my own tip here, I’m not sure how worlds work on PC (as many of you seem to have problems hosting worlds with caves in them for some reason...) but on Xbox Caves exist and there are PLENTY of Entrance points to get into them...

so it should be rather obvious that if the base is pretty close to a sealed cave entrance.. DO NOT OPEN IT!!! Please? <3 Thanks... Winona’s Spotlight will not Scare the Batilisks Away. 

i you die by a batilisk you deserve it xD

the most important thing, and i think people dont do that for selfish(i never played in a public server but happens to me when i invite a friend to my soloWorlds), to leave core gear in the floor before leaving like mactusk fangs, gears, boss loot, etc. If you leave you cant use it and maybe the people who still playing there could benefit from having it

(i cant forget my friend entering my world to beat klaus together so he can see him for 1st time, krampus sack as loot... he never reconnect to that world xD)

Edited by thetricker1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

i'm just gonna add a few more 

1. Please don't follow someone you don't know for no reason, it’s really awkward and annoying. if you want something, just ask them and they will most likely help you. i had new players follow me around and it gets really annoying.

2. If the world doesn't have global positioning and you have explored a lot of the world, please make maps for others. It’s a nice thing to do and saves a lot of time for others.

3. Don't bring giants to base. I made that mistake multiple times when i was new and i felt bad to this day. 

4. Don't ask Wortox players to heal you every 5 seconds. We are not your pocket medic, we don't have infinite souls. You gotta learn to heal by yourself. We like to heal others, but we have limits. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 3/1/2020 at 1:58 PM, Mrklli said:

WHY ON EARTH DO YOU PEOPLE KEEP YOUR SERVERS PUBLIC IF YOU KICK/BAN EVERYONE WHO JOIN??? Just asking...

*takes a deep breath and tries to get calm*

Seriously, I typically load for ages every time I join a server and it really is not nice to get insta-kicked for the fifth time on the same day... Do the people who do that get something out of it? Please show some consideration and politeness... It's ok if you didn't mean to go public, just tell me and I'll go and after that please fix your mistake.

Alright, look..... Sometimes I AM a culprit of this, but most of the time it's because I'm sick of dealing with everyone. They join and die in 1-day, leave and just cause everyone's sanity to drop. Or we have 4 players and those 3 players with me are stupid so I kick any extra. I can't carry 5, but I can barely carry 3. It also depends on my server rules. If it says mic only, and they DON'T have a mic it's an instant kick. Or if they pick a useless character like Wilson, Wes, or Webber (I know Webber isn't completely useless)

--------------------------------

Courteous Tips:

#1: Don't be lost puppies: Don't wander around aimlessly OR follow me. Just because I have revived you 23 times doesn't mean you can follow me. At least be useful before you die.

#2: Hunger/Health/Sanity: Deal with them yourselves, please. I shouldn't have to worry about your stats along with my own. 

#3: Portal Start: Leave Logs, and a Fire for people joining in winter. Or at the very least craft a few torches and drop em'

• Like 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

1 hour ago, GetRektKids said:

Alright, look..... Sometimes I AM a culprit of this, but most of the time it's because I'm sick of dealing with everyone. They join and die in 1-day, leave and just cause everyone's sanity to drop. Or we have 4 players and those 3 players with me are stupid so I kick any extra. I can't carry 5, but I can barely carry 3. It also depends on my server rules. If it says mic only, and they DON'T have a mic it's an instant kick. Or if they pick a useless character like Wilson, Wes, or Webber (I know Webber isn't completely useless)

I get this, I really do. But still I think it would be nice to say something before you kick/ban people, just to be polite. As the person who gets kicked, I'd like to know if I did something wrong and after that 5th kick on the same day it just feels really bad. I don't know if you're playing on pc or not, but there is a console command you could use if you know you don't want any more players to join your game session: TheNet:SetAllowIncomingConnections(true/false)

Just write false when you want to lock your server and true when you wish to allow new players again. People who already are there will notice nothing, you don't have to worry about new joiners and nobody's bothered.

It's ok to get kicked if you're a jerk or fail to follow rules of the server you've just joined. By insta kicking I meant you get kicked the exact second you join, even before you've given a chance to show you won't mess up anything.

• Like 7

A tip:
If you have just/recently joined a world that already has a base
Please ask the other players before doing pretty much anything inside of the base.
Examples:
Ask before cooking all food in the fridge in crockpots
Ask before crafting a bunch of armour/tools/weapons
Ask before starting a farm

I have seen it a few times before were we completely ran out of stone because someone decided to craft them all into cut stones. And one player joined and tried to be the base chef... and started to make monster lasagna with all of our monster meat because they didnt know you could make meatballs with them.  

Edited by DarkPulse91
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

If your playing on Xbox One a large majority of everything people are saying here does not fully apply to you, (some of it is good advice but a good bit of it is irrelevant to you) For one there is no such thing as a Official Dedicated Server, there is only Player Hosted sessions... and those sessions kick ALL of the Players out the moment the host leaves the room or losses connection.

Two- You Don’t really have to worry about grieving on Xbox too terribly much.. because as the Host player you have the option of kicking a bad player, Banning them from the server permanently, and Rolling the server back at your own discretion whenever you want without needing any other players votes in doing so.

(Though If others are in your game it might be nice to try not to Rollback or to atleast provide an explanation as to why you rolled everyone back.)

Three- If you don’t want random people joining your game put a password on it... period. 

Four- If your not the HOST player keep in mind that the world you are playing in is not yours.. that when you leave the host may or may not continue that world without you, so please drop all items on your character when leaving the game so that the person who actually owns the world can use them or put them away.