On topic "Tips on how to be Courteous to Fellow Players"

10 hours ago, RoughCactus69 said:

It REALLY seemed like you were part of the problem dude. Kind of hypocritical isn't it?

Nice necro and off-topic as well. It really seems like.. not. Very sincerely. Maybe. And, of course another off-topic from yours truly.

Observe people, if they seem newbies instruct them towards a personal server with mild settings to learn the DST ropes at their own paces maybe, if "they are a waste of resources" and whatnot for you but still wanna be courteous. At least that.. sincerity.

Edited by x0-VERSUS-1y
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/5/2021 at 2:49 PM, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Nice necro and off-topic as well. It really seems like.. not. Very sincerely. Maybe. And, of course another off-topic from yours truly.

Observe people, if they seem newbies instruct them towards a personal server with mild settings to learn the DST ropes at their own paces maybe, if "they are a waste of resources" and whatnot for you but still wanna be courteous. At least that.. sincerity.

Ah yes. I know your type. You say something rude and controversial, then when someone calls you out you act all high and mighty. Like you are just the best person, and you are right. They are the ones being rude aren't they? Every time I see your name pop up, I roll my eyes. For a good reason also. 

I debated saying something because I know it'll spark unneeded controversy, but IMO something needed to be said. 

Sincerely,

Cactus

Edited by RoughCactus69
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, RoughCactus69 said:

Ah yes. I know your type. You say something rude and controversial, then when someone calls you out you act all high and mighty. Like you are just the best person, and you are right. They are the ones being rude aren't they? Every time I see your name pop up, I roll my eyes. For a good reason also. 

I debated saying something because I know it'll spark unneeded controversy, but IMO something needed to be said. 

Sincerely,

Cactus

There's nothing rude or controversial in my 1-line reply stating the obvious off-topic issue - the very thing you are persisting in doing further dragging me in it, and the fact personal matters should be addressed personally, via PMs. On that subject, you seem to have a personal proverbial bone to pick with me. Nice and dandy. PM as well or here's an even more constructive suggestion for your obsession with this random forumite: mouse-over avatar > ignore user. I know, mind-blowing really. Now you have the forum "sanitized" of my bothering presence for your "safe-space". I won't elaborate further your own trolling shenanigans from your nick with obvious slang connotations or how you imitate Capt.Chaotica, probably in a not-flattering way. Softcore trolling is softcore in the end. Have a good, sincere day! (Likewise: nice stereotyping and "mind read", someone operated well today his X-Men's Cerebro, roll-of-eyes included ;))

2 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

There's nothing rude or controversial in my 1-line reply 

I'm going to cover two thing you said., mostly because they are the only thing worth covering.

I said, I have been reading your posts. Alot of them. Everytime you post something, you act the same way. That's what I'm saying. I didn't get that from one line.

Who's Capt.Chaotica?

Sincerely,

Cactus

Edited by RoughCactus69
  • Like 2
  • Ninja 1

If showing a new player the ropes, try to ask them for something that only their character can contribute. Asking an inexperienced Wendy to cut a path through a bee biome or build a sisturn, getting bramble armour and compost wrap from Wormwood or showing Willow how to farm nightmare fuel with Bernie will make them feel like they’re helping the team in ways that even the more experienced players around them cannot.

• Like 2

On 3/2/2020 at 2:28 AM, fimmatek said:

"If you don't want Strangers, set a Password"

Oh god this has been my biggest frustration so far. As someone who enters random public servers looking for playmates, it's such a bummer to get kicked out every single time! I hope Klei would set the default for servers to have passwords.

On 2/27/2021 at 4:25 AM, weirdokun said:

Oh god this has been my biggest frustration so far. As someone who enters random public servers looking for playmates, it's such a bummer to get kicked out every single time! I hope Klei would set the default for servers to have passwords.

There is a little thing to this though. People who join DURING WINTER make me so upset. If you see a public server day 21-35 winter DON'T JOIN! Just please. Don't. 

Also, it's public during winter because I haven't left the game, plus PS4 has some invite issues.

------------------

Please obey the server rules. Please. If someone asks for something in the rules, and you IGNORE that, don't be surprised if you find yourself back at the home screen.

Sincerely,

Cactus

Edited by RoughCactus69

35 minutes ago, RoughCactus69 said:

There is a little thing to this though. People who join DURING WINTER make me so upset. If you see a public server day 21-35 winter DON'T JOIN! Just please. Don't.

That's exactly what others complained above, if you don't want someone joining, put a password! They can't know someones expectations beforehand.

Btw it's very easy to survive even if you join at middle of Winter! Just stay at Portal if it's Night, and move to find 2 Twigs and 2 Cutgrass, then you are done, just burn a tree time to time to keep warm while also picking food and more Twigs and Cutgrass.

• Like 1

To people helping new people survive:

Don't just spoonfeed them and do everything for them. Setting up base for them gathering food for them, kiting for them and soloing bosses for them, while a kind gesture, teaches them little in the long run.

Instead, try to get them involved. Actively teach them something instead of giving it to them and they'll learn how to do it for next time. As the saying goes, "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime."

Edited by GetNerfedOn
  • Like 3

On 3/2/2021 at 8:57 AM, Chesmu said:

That's exactly what others complained above, if you don't want someone joining, put a password! They can't know someones expectations beforehand.

Btw it's very easy to survive even if you join at middle of Winter! Just stay at Portal if it's Night, and move to find 2 Twigs and 2 Cutgrass, then you are done, just burn a tree time to time to keep warm while also picking food and more Twigs and Cutgrass.

Well, I had a thing below that stating why I DIDN'T have a password. PSN sometimes just WON'T let friends join if it's private, or has a password. It's quite aggravating. 

But overall, I'm completely fine with randoms as long as they don't join at really bad times. Mid summer, mid winter. Especially on Day 30. That is an instant goodbye. Can't risk Deerclops spawning in the middle of god knows where.

(Most people don't know how to tree hop with a torch during winter)

Sincerely,

Cactus

Edited by RoughCactus69

So here are my original tips that do wonders:

Help Collecting Stuff:

As you play more, you realize there are tons of chores in the game; Most of it is about collecting what is chopped and brought down.
Whenever you see someone chopping a Tree, mining a Boulder or digging Graves, follow closely and pick whatever is dropped. (Don't give any of it to them since it will distract them and cause annoyance.)

The Backpack Protection:

Backpacks are one of the most important items, which are usually full of resources. When a player drops them, don't let it stay there in the middle of jungle or pick it up to protect it. (You can later drop it near the Campfire for them.)

Help Designing the Base:

• Whenever a player is going through them, open and close the exact Chest they just used and repeat this until they are done.
  • Place Torches in the Chests.
  • Place Razors, Pitchforks, Shovels and such all over the base in case someone needs those.
  • Drop Rocks and Gold on the ground while camping near Ping King.
  • Make Chests without using Geometric Placement mod.
  • Never Hammer down the Science Machine after the Alchemy Engine is made.

Provide Resources:

• As Webber, place your Spider Eggs at the Portal, for the newcomers.
  • As Wigfrid, Create 20 Spears and 20 Helmets using the resources at base.
  • As Walter, Drop around 10 slingshots at base and fill chests with projectiles.
  • As Wickerbottom, Create 40 books of each kind and throw them on the ground.
  • As Wormwood, Plant seeds at all empty spots of the base to make use of it.
  • Rush Caves as Wolfgang to bring most needed items, Yellow and Orange gems.

Lead Fellow Survivors:

The moment a newcomer joins the server, tell them to stay at portal and go get them. After that, do not let them collect any resources, and tell them to keep following you, as you are the leader in charge. After you carried them to your base, tell them to go collect what you need from the world, and from now on they are the one that bring newcomers to the base.

Note: Make sure to follow them while they are out there, and if they did collect items, or did anything other than what you asked them to, quickly ask: "Did you find the x stuff?" , and they will keep moving again.

Help Fighting Mobs:

• Randomly hit the Giants with fist to break their chase, while someone is luring them.
  • Sometimes the Deerclops may spawn at the base, so instead of leaving it, stay there and keep watch.
  • Use Torches and Fire Staffs to attack bosses; The burning effect will speed up the fight.
  • When fighting Dragonfly, stay outside of the made Wall, to not let any Lava minions pass by.
Spoiler

Read the following word in backwards, but only after reading the post: msacras. lol

Edited by Chesmu
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sanity 2

On 3/6/2021 at 3:03 PM, Chesmu said:
  Hide contents

Read the following word in backwards, but only after reading the post: msacras. lol

Spoiler

.yb ssap snoinim avaL yna tel ton ot ,llaW edam eht fo edistuo yats ,ylfnogarD gnithgif nehW    
.thgif eht pu deeps lliw tceffe gninrub ehT ;sessob kcatta ot sffatS eriF dna sehcroT esU    
.hctaw peek dna ereht yats ,ti gnivael fo daetsni os ,esab eht ta nwaps yam spolcreeD eht semitemoS    
.meht gnirul si enoemos elihw ,esahc rieht kaerb ot tsif htiw stnaiG eht tih ylmodnaR    

:sboM gnithgiF pleH

.niaga gnivom peek lliw yeht dna , "?ffuts x eht dnif uoy diD" :ksa ylkciuq ,ot meht deksa uoy tahw naht rehto gnihtyna did ro ,smeti tcelloc did yeht fi dna ,ereht tuo era yeht elihw meht wollof ot erus ekaM :etoN

.esab eht ot sremocwen gnirb taht eno eht era yeht no won morf dna ,dlrow eht morf deen uoy tahw tcelloc og ot meht llet ,esab ruoy ot meht deirrac uoy retfA .egrahc ni redael eht era uoy sa ,uoy gniwollof peek ot meht llet dna ,secruoser yna tcelloc meht tel ton od ,taht retfA .meht teg og dna latrop ta yats ot meht llet ,revres eht snioj remocwen a tnemom ehT

:srovivruS wolleF daeL

.smeg egnarO dna wolleY ,smeti dedeen tsom gnirb ot gnagfloW sa sevaC hsuR    
.ti fo esu ekam ot esab eht fo stops ytpme lla ta sdees tnalP ,doowmroW sA    
.dnuorg eht no meht worht dna dnik hcae fo skoob 04 etaerC ,mottobrekciW sA    
.selitcejorp htiw stsehc llif dna esab ta stohsgnils 01 dnuora porD ,retlaW sA    
.esab ta secruoser eht gnisu stemleH 02 dna sraepS 02 etaerC ,dirfgiW sA    
.sremocwen eht rof ,latroP eht ta sggE redipS ruoy ecalp ,rebbeW sA    

:secruoseR edivorP

.edam si enignE ymehclA eht retfa enihcaM ecneicS eht nwod remmaH reveN    
.dom tnemecalP cirtemoeG gnisu tuohtiw stsehC ekaM    
.gniK gniP raen gnipmac elihw dnuorg eht no dloG dna skcoR porD    
.esoht sdeen enoemos esac ni esab eht revo lla hcus dna slevohS ,skrofhctiP ,srozaR ecalP    
.stsehC eht ni sehcroT ecalP    
.enod era yeht litnu siht taeper dna desu tsuj yeht tsehC tcaxe eht esolc dna nepo ,meht hguorht gniog si reyalp a revenehW    

:esaB eht gningiseD pleH

).meht rof erifpmaC eht raen ti pord retal nac uoY( .ti tcetorp ot pu ti kcip ro elgnuj fo elddim eht ni ereht yats ti tel t'nod ,meht spord reyalp a nehW .secruoser fo lluf yllausu era hcihw ,smeti tnatropmi tsom eht fo eno era skcapkcaB

:noitcetorP kcapkcaB ehT

).ecnayonna esuac dna meht tcartsid lliw ti ecnis meht ot ti fo yna evig t'noD( .deppord si revetahw kcip dna ylesolc wollof ,sevarG gniggid ro redluoB a gninim ,eerT a gnippohc enoemos ees uoy revenehW
.nwod thguorb dna deppohc si tahw gnitcelloc tuoba si ti fo tsoM ;emag eht ni serohc fo snot era ereht ezilaer uoy ,erom yalp uoy sA

:ffutS gnitcelloC pleH

:srednow od taht spit lanigiro ym era ereh oS

• Potato Cup 2

49 minutes ago, JoeW said:

Please keep posts on-topic. Thanks. 

Checks thread cause JoeW posts here thinking Joe was adding his on input to topic- finds out it’s just him asking people to stay on topic, leaves disappointed. :wilson_cry:

But... all jokes aside the best actual tip I can give for being polite to other players is if you join a world that is not your own world: Then be sure you ask the worlds owner before you take things from their chests and stuff.

Taking things without asking first is just bad manners!

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

One tip I recommend is to not be paranoid and see every single new player as a threat, this goes especially for new players so they don't feel like trash the moment they join a server. Funny story:

Joined a Klei official, it's day 1000+, so these two lads that survived for over 200 days start seeing any newcomer as griefers, a random Maxwell which was quite possibly a new player was just... walking and the moment they left the two lads were like "Omg thank god I was so scared he was so suspicious"

Don't antagonize people the moment they join for no reason.

Btw, I got kicked because I called them paranoid even though they literally checked people's profiles to see if they have enough hours to not be suspicious. Feelsbadman 

• Like 7
  • Ninja 1
  • Sad Dupe 1

On 3/1/2020 at 10:58 PM, Mrklli said:

WHY ON EARTH DO YOU PEOPLE KEEP YOUR SERVERS PUBLIC IF YOU KICK/BAN EVERYONE WHO JOIN??? Just asking...

*takes a deep breath and tries to get calm*

Seriously, I typically load for ages every time I join a server and it really is not nice to get insta-kicked for the fifth time on the same day... Do the people who do that get something out of it? Please show some consideration and politeness... It's ok if you didn't mean to go public, just tell me and I'll go and after that please fix your mistake.

I do that when the player doesnt answer my questions.

28 minutes ago, Resul said:

I do that when the player doesnt answer my questions.

Fair enough, if you try to communicate and it's not working. You can kick players from your server if their playstyle isn't what you want, but in that case it'd be good to state it clearly on the server name or description so everyone who decides to join will know what you want.

I meant those situations when the one joining is doing everything they can to be cooperative and nice and still gets insta-kicked right after joining, without a word from the host. It's clear the host doesn't want any random people joining their world, so they should set the server options accordingly....

New players, or ANYONE, please PLEASE, look in the description of the world your joining

They might have some rules like "Please don't go in so and so's chests without asking" "If I ask you to be a certain character please be" "I request you don't be (Insert character(s))" 

Nothing is more frustrating on when you put something in the description of your world, and then people disregard everything that was in there.

Also, If the world is in summer and is in public, please be courteous on where you go, you may cause a fire and ruin something very, very special.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

If you say you are going to go fetch someone from spawn, or that you are bringing X resource back to base, make sure you are immediately doing it. It is easy to become distracted and often in the time it takes to help the new player, they could have done the thing themselves instead of waiting for you.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 5:37 PM, Warpspeed10 said:

If you say you are going to go fetch someone from spawn, or that you are bringing X resource back to base, make sure you are immediately doing it. It is easy to become distracted and often in the time it takes to help the new player, they could have done the thing themselves instead of waiting for you.

If I may add to this, 
just try to always be up to case with what everyone else is doing. You don't need to be excessive, but generally try to make it so others have a general idea of where you are and what you're currently working towards

On 3/2/2021 at 3:19 PM, RoughCactus69 said:

Dont listen to this type of elitism guys. If you know how to survive the season feel free to join the servers at any time. 

Also chances are, if you find normal and social people on the server they will help you get a thermal stone and some basic supplies. 

• Like 5