On topic "Tips on how to be Courteous to Fellow Players"

If you are hosting a server, you have some power and responsability over the enjoyment and efforts of other players in your server aswell. This does not mean you should babysit them or accomodate to their every desire but it is quite incourteous to kick players without reasoning or suddenly disconnect without a little prompt. Giving your reasoning for kicks where applicable, like "sorry, waiting for a friend", "It's a friends only game, we forgot to set it on the settings"; and when you're leaving saying things along the lines of "sorry I gtg", "have to leave now, add me if you wanna continue later" go a long way. It's quite a frustrating and empty feeling when players join a hosted server to have fun, invest their times and efforts into doing stuff and host just abandons the server or kicks you at a whim for no particular reason or prior prompt.

• Like 11
  • Health 1

It was probably said before but I’ll give my take and refresh on it because I keep seeing this happen, specially on newer players as they start to get better at the game:

The strategies you see on ruins rushes or most rushes on YouTube, are almost always very destructive because they serve the purpose of doing a single thing as fast as possible in a solo world. These are NOT meta strategies for multiplayer worlds, specially for long term worlds and you should never do them in multiplayer games or public games where other players may have other goals.

EG:

Spoiler
  • Shoveling blue mushrooms causes them to never spawn again
  • Hammering pig houses as you find them, usually causes the pigs to go extinct or makes pig skin a very rare resource to get, specially in the early game or for late joiners.
  • Making one single huge pig village in the world for farming is risky, as a wildfire or a red hound could drive pigs to extinction. It’s always better in the long term to leave naturally spawning pigs around the world, besides whatever farm you did.
  • Mass murdering beefalos for horns can cause them to go extinct for a long while. World regrowth will get them back eventually but it may take hundreds of days.
  • Using all the Thulecite on random stuff and not leaving anything at the station to duplicate, forces the players to have to kill fuel weaver in order to get a new crown. Even this is doable by most experienced players, newer players would do much better if they could just kill dragonfly and duplicate thulecite every 20 days or so.

Be mindful about resources, and try to think of ways so others can keep using them easily, even if they do not live at the same base as you do, or are as knowledgeable at the game as you are, or just happened to join much later than you did.

Edited by ShadowDuelist
  • Like 14

If you see something laying on the ground called “Age-Less Watch” and a Wanda joins the server give this item to the Wanda player- It won’t do YOU any good if your not playing as Wanda, but for her it allows her to rewind the rate at which she ages by twice as Much.

• Like 3

On console I invited someone a while back to do the matheus puzzle and they rummaged through all my chests for supplies (helmets/healing/etc). They where a stranger and I felt it was rude not to ask me if they could go through my stuff. I ended up not saying anything because I figured I was just going to roll back (I did).

I wouldn't of said no to supplies either, I dunno maybe I'm just paranoid. I hear horrible stuff about grieffers like everyday now.

STOP BANNING WILLOW JUST BECAUSE SHE SPAWNS WITH A LIGHTER!! 

(No seriously that’s the full tip & it needed to be in all capitol letters Because thanks to that lovely little thing we now have called “Starting Resources” Every Single character in the game now spawns with enough resources to craft two torches to burn your base down with.)

Also STOP BANNING WES, his rework made him actually useful, with speed boost perks, sanity giving perks, wetness resistance & lightning resistance perks, and a nice little life jacket perk that should you dash your boat amongst some sea stacks, you won’t lose your inventory when you drown.

Until Wilson gets his rework… Wes is actually a BETTER CHOICE then him.

The more you know I guess..? (& knowing is half the Battle.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Some Tips, if you are a completely new player, who wants to join a public server:

1) DST is difficult and a lot of learning by doing or reading the wiki for hours. It's always best to first get some experience in singleplayer to figure out the very basic stuff, because other people on the server won't have enough time to explain it.

2) Join a server in autumn to not be overwhelmed by difficulty. Also DON'T join a PvP server for first experience.

3) Feel free to ask questions in chat or just straight up tell people, that you're a new player when you join, so if you make mistakes, they won't assume you're doing it on purpose. (Note to experienced players: Be nice! Help by answering question!)

4) Most servers have a community base, where basically everything belongs to everyone. Don't take more than you need and give, what you can. Even just collecting a lot of grass or wood for base is a huge help. Just do something you like and can.

5) Don't take random items from base, if you don't know, what they do, they might be crucial to everyones survival. Always ask, if you're not sure.

6) Ask before you interact with items you don't know. Playing the panflute for example wastes a very very important item.

7) Never put more than 1 monstermeat in the crockpot. More than 1 makes trash food.

8) Leave some flowers in the world, they are important.

9) You absolutely don't have to take people being rude to you for no reason. If that happens, report them or leave, there are better servers with nicer people.

• Like 2

Try not to tell other people how to play the game or for that matter.. what to do, Don’t Starve Together is an Open World Sandbox game where what you will do, what you enjoy about the game and what kind of content Klei can potentially add that appeals to you will vary from player to player: You can’t just go around telling people to explore the entire game before asking for more content.. you can’t “Demand” that Klei make more super late game updates that only happen once you kill Pearled Crab King, Ancient Fuel Weaver and the Celestial Champion..

If it was up to some of you.. you wouldn’t be ALLOWED to buy Shipwrecked or Hamlet and play those without first fully experiencing everything the Vanilla game and then the DLCs that released after that had to offer first only THEN are you allowed to want a new DLC.

life does not work that way..

So atleast TRY not to be a total prick when people suggest features & changes you don’t agree with for whatever reason. Keep in mind that we all enjoy this game franchise for various reasons.

Msybe some people enjoy the wacky cast of unique playable characters, maybe some people only enjoy the lore, the art, maybe some people only like to buy skins and decorate their worlds with them, maybe some people can careless about skins at all and only want more bosses to fight, Maybe some people find great enjoyment and hilarity with Carrat Training & Race Courses and don’t care at all to actually play the “survival” part of the game.

And MAYBE Some People want to be challenged in day to day “survival” beyond having to trigger some late game boss or event on Day 90,999.

My point is: People digest Media in various different ways, I mean I’m pretty sure I’ve said some stuff here on the forums that JoeW has probably wanted to ban me over, but then later he rethinks it and is like nahh maybe I was too harsh on them.

Some people love a movie.. some people absolutely hate that same movie, critics will label it as a complete flop when YOU personally could find it to be a very intriguing story/movie.

In the same way people digest Movies, Social Media & Books: Video Games are the same way.

So please.. try to be nice to one another and if a feature someone else wants in the game seems like it will interrupt your own enjoyment with the game: try to come together and think of a creative way that both of your opinions can Co-Exist.

For example: I absolutely hate the idea of a “Through the Ages” style game update where the longer a world has lasted.. the more and more difficult it will become- I hate this Idea because I have played other games that used this very game mechanic and what sounds fun on paper: Actually ends up being an Hour glass of Enjoyment: The grains of sand slowly pour into the other half of the glass until the game becomes unplayable/unenjoyable for you, and this goes 6x over based on the other players that are on that server with you..

However instead of me simply saying are you guys crazy that’s a absolutely TERRIBLE Idea how will I EVER be able to play with my friends without needing to Delete my worlds & start them over at Day 1?!

I instead say: I’m actually “Okay” with a Through the Ages style progressively scaling game world as long as I can toggle the parts of that that become too difficult/I don’t like/ Causes me physical uncomfort- Off or play in a Server/Dedicated Klei world: Where “Through the Ages” can not happen.

And when I say “Causes me Physical Discomfort” I mean thinks like people who are sensitive to loud sounds, rapid flashes of light, or even the Zombified Horrors of Lunar Penguins and Hounds.

So let this be a reminder: to simply just be courteous to other players: They are not YOU.. they do not think LIKE YOU.. and Sometimes what YOU like will not be what THEY Like- But we are all forum members here and you should treat each other with respect.

Never not once have I made fun of people who are “upset” with the changes to Wolfgang in his rework, those people have every single right to be upset, and I genuinely feel sad for them.

But then again I’m also a highly weird individual: I never stay ANYWHERE I don’t feel wanted.. like if I feel like people are happier if I just leave them alone & go away: Then I feel like I’m wasting their time by trying to give them some of mine..

Its pointless, just like me typing this is probably pointless.. but it’s what I choose to do with my time.

Thank You, :wilson_love:

Edited by Mike23Ua

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Try not to tell other people how to play the game or for that matter.. what to do, Don’t Starve Together is an Open World Sandbox game where what you will do, what you enjoy about the game and what kind of content Klei can potentially add that appeals to you will vary from player to player: You can’t just go around telling people to explore the entire game before asking for more content.. you can’t “Demand” that Klei make more super late game updates that only happen once you kill Pearled Crab King, Ancient Fuel Weaver and the Celestial Champion..

Not only is this a rant you went off simply because I told you to atleast actively learn about the game, not about the late game, but your knowledge about even ruins content is very subpar.

I never said you shouldn't want more content, but that you should atleast explore the given content first.

Edited by __IvoCZE__
  • Haha 2
  • Happy Hazard 1

Touch stone etiquette:

- Inform newer players not to revive at night, and to revive when alone so someone else doesnt get lightningstruck. 

- If possible, placing signs with the above reminder and a lightningrod would be good too. Exceptions to the latter application may apply to WX players who want charges and there's no wicker around. 

- Leaving behind 2 torches at least, or spare seasonal gear would also be nice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you dig up 80,000 tufts of grass, saplings, and berry bushes and bring them to base first autumn.

Have the decency to bring the poop for all of it as well..... Or better yet.

Fertilize and plant it yourself.

Don't expect others to just "do" that for you.

It may be a cooperative game but those crops are probably just gonna sit on the floor til spring.

Spoiler

Thanks.UnconsciousQuickCockroach-size_restricted.gif.af0041cac67b007a190c46755074feaf.gif

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad Dupe 1

if you want to be a dictator of a server just trap spawn watch them suffer begging to get out let them out but give them a job like farming,fighting,pest control or whatever and threaten them to go back in the cage if they do not do what they are meant to 

• Like 1

• Do not follow other players picking up what they collect.
  • Do not ask for help as soon as you enter the world.
  • Writing a little "Hi" to someone who just joined and greeted everyone wouldn't be a problem.
  • Always speak English in public servers so others can understand you.
  • Do not vote-kick others because they got something first / any other silly reasons.
  • If you are staying idle in a camp made and run by others, the very least you can do is tidy up the place by sorting items in Chests and picking the dropped items to transfer them into Chests.
  • Do give others extra items you don't need, by donating to Chests or their pockets.
  • Don't pressure new players with chores, and don't pressure long-time players with guidance.

Edited by Chesmu

Now that WX78 has a more harsh downside with rain/wetness- it is more important than ever that players who can survive without protective rain gear to give the Rain gear to WX78.

Wurt and Wormwood should NEVER need the Eyebrella during Autumn or Spring.. LEARN TO SHARE PEOPLE…

that’s the “Together” part of Don’t Starve Together.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1