On topic "Tips on how to be Courteous to Fellow Players"

This thread gives me an idea that maybe was done in past (i dont started to use the forum since few months ago)  we could have a world for the forum. Will be interesting be applied all the strategies and experience seen in other threads in one world and we are nice between us 

Unfortunately, a lot of us live REALLY far away from each other (not only in other countries, but on other _continents_) so the lag would be beyond insane...

Not to mention the massive differences in our playstyles would keep us from even getting past _worldgen_, in the process.  Like, we'd never even START the server 'cos we wouldn't be able to agree on how high the difficulty should be turned up, alone.  : P

...Notorious

• Haha 1

I have few small tips - maybe not so important but really nice to see:
• Be nice, if you joining write "hey", "hello". It's always looking better than joining, playing alone (ignoring people) and being quite

• "I survived only X days","I survived only X seasons" - really you don't need to write it because it doesn't matter. You can survive 1000 days without basic knowladge or 100 days and know "forbidden OP knowladge".

• Don't be greedy - if you going with others to kill any boss, share with them drops. Multiple things like royal jelly try to split equally to each. Single things split via /roll with specific criteria eg. "the highest score, the lowest score, the closet to X score".

When I playing with friends we have few unwriten rules, I think its nice to hear it:

• First tam'o'shanter going to Wickerbottom

• First deerclop eye going to WX

• First cane going to Wortox or WX (for getting full map faster)

• If you leaving game with rare items - Tam'o, Eyebrella, Cane, Kampus sack - ask if someone need anything and eventually drop it for someone want it.

/roll is really nice command, have it in mind. You can resolve any dispute with this function.

Edited by Thalkas
  • Like 4

On 3/3/2020 at 7:40 PM, Mike23Ua said:

If your playing on Xbox One a large majority of everything people are saying here does not fully apply to you, (some of it is good advice but a good bit of it is irrelevant to you) For one there is no such thing as a Official Dedicated Server, there is only Player Hosted sessions... and those sessions kick ALL of the Players out the moment the host leaves the room or losses connection.

This is literally a thread about how to be courteous to other players. I fail to see how the majority of this thread doesn't apply to console players too. But hey, if you want people to come in and generally be obnoxious on your platform... then by all means, keep promoting xbox players to ignore these tips.

On 3/3/2020 at 7:40 PM, Mike23Ua said:

Two- You Don’t really have to worry about grieving on Xbox too terribly much.. because as the Host player you have the option of kicking a bad player, Banning them from the server permanently, and Rolling the server back at your own discretion whenever you want without needing any other players votes in doing so.

(Though If others are in your game it might be nice to try not to Rollback or to atleast provide an explanation as to why you rolled everyone back.)

Three- If you don’t want random people joining your game put a password on it... period. 

Four- If your not the HOST player keep in mind that the world you are playing in is not yours.. that when you leave the host may or may not continue that world without you, so please drop all items on your character when leaving the game so that the person who actually owns the world can use them or put them away.

Aaaand this applies to pc as well. Non-dedicated, player hosted sessions exist on pc too.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 3/3/2020 at 1:06 PM, Mrklli said:

I get this, I really do. But still I think it would be nice to say something before you kick/ban people, just to be polite. As the person who gets kicked, I'd like to know if I did something wrong and after that 5th kick on the same day it just feels really bad. I don't know if you're playing on pc or not, but there is a console command you could use if you know you don't want any more players to join your game session: TheNet:SetAllowIncomingConnections(true/false)

Just write false when you want to lock your server and true when you wish to allow new players again. People who already are there will notice nothing, you don't have to worry about new joiners and nobody's bothered.

It's ok to get kicked if you're a jerk or fail to follow rules of the server you've just joined. By insta kicking I meant you get kicked the exact second you join, even before you've given a chance to show you won't mess up anything.

No, I play on Console. Sometimes I hop in-game chat, ask if they have a mic. If they don't, they get kicked. If they are Webber, or Wilson I normally straight up just kick them.

Edit: (Also I don't just kick them for no reason, I have these things in the description. Nobody reads the description though. I will say no Webber or Wilson. I will say Mic only [There is game chat on console] Yet people still don't do these things, which results in a kick.)

------------------------

So yeah, there is no console command, the way to decrease the player limit is by exiting the world. So if I have anyone in the game I want to keep playing with I have to find their name, type it up, and then friend them. I have to do that for everyone who wants to join back. So it's better just to kick the 5th person if they are unwanted. It's easier, and faster.

Edit: (Unwanted is a bit harsh, but it is easier. Normally I will let them play if they have a mic. If they are dying constantly and killing others via sanity I will just kick them after the 15th death [Exaggeration])

On 3/3/2020 at 6:12 PM, DarkPulse91 said:

A tip:
If you have just/recently joined a world that already has a base
Please ask the other players before doing pretty much anything inside of the base.
Examples:
Ask before cooking all food in the fridge in crockpots
Ask before crafting a bunch of armour/tools/weapons
Ask before starting a farm

I have seen it a few times before were we completely ran out of stone because someone decided to craft them all into cut stones. And one player joined and tried to be the base chef... and started to make monster lasagna with all of our monster meat because they didnt know you could make meatballs with them.  

I can't tell you HOW many times I have had 2 pieces of meat in the fridge for a HamBat, and it gets cooked or dried.....

Edited by GetRektKids

20 hours ago, Thalkas said:

/roll is really nice command, have it in mind. You can resolve any dispute with this function.

Then there are evil people like me who cheat and go /roll 10000 , because that then basically guarantees you get a higher number than everybody else.:wilson_sneaky:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, GetRektKids said:

No, I play on Console. Sometimes I hop in-game chat, ask if they have a mic. If they don't, they get kicked. If they are Webber, or Wilson I normally straight up just kick them. 

So yeah, there is no console command, the way to decrease the player limit is by exiting the world. So if I have anyone in the game I want to keep playing with I have to find their name, type it up, and then friend them. I have to do that for everyone who wants to join back. So it's better just to kick the 5th person if they are unwanted. It's easier, and faster.

I can't tell you HOW many times I have had 2 pieces of meat in the fridge for a HamBat, and it gets cooked or dried.....

First off: this is a topic about "Tips on how to be Courteous to Fellow Players" - your input is anything but that. You know you don't have to justify why you won't adhere to such a moral stance - neither do I care about "being courteous" as I nomad and mostly play alone on pubs, not interacting in any way with chat (though I fancy reading it); yet you don't see me trying to argue why I don't care; is ok just to do what you want (if is not griefing ofc). See a topic not to your liking, just gloss over I say :encouragement:

Second: I don't know about console specifics, yet on PC you can type in server's name and description what you desire from players - make it clear from start by announcing your requirements from fellow pub-ers - "No mic, no join, and no Wilson or Webber, else will be kicked/banned". Can't do that? Place a sign at gate with the above. And don't just suddenly kick/ban, take 30s to type, politely or neutrally, your grievances. This indeed if you want to be "courteous to.." - else your server your... personality really.

And lastly: I don't get this nonsense about microphones - usually from my experience when a player is adamant about mic use they either are some lil screechy over-confident bossy kid (with inherent hefty amount of Dunning-Kruger effect on the low skill aisle) and/or someone into RolePlay, both types stepping hard on my nerves. Have the "wonderful gift" of being overly-verbose? Maybe do some hard "soul-searching" into why you (a general "you" for anyone reading and finding oneself in said "role") are in such need for attention (because that's what it really is) - usually has nothing to do with the game, as any action can be plainly summarized in 1 short sentence.

Edited by x0-VERSUS-1y
*le perpetual corrections
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

First off: this is a topic about "Tips on how to be Courteous to Fellow Players" - your input is anything but that. You know you don't have to justify why you won't adhere to such a moral stance - neither do I care about "being courteous" as I nomad and mostly play alone on pubs, not interacting in any way with chat (though I fancy reading it); yet you don't see me trying to argue why I don't care; is ok just to do what you want (if is not griefing ofc). See a topic not to your liking, just gloss over I say :encouragement:

Second: I don't know about console specifics, yet on PC you can type in server's name and description what you desire from players - make it clear from start by announcing your requirements from fellow pub-ers - "No mic, no join, and no Wilson or Webber, else will be kicked/banned". Can't do that? Place a sign at gate with the above. And don't just suddenly kick/ban, take 30s to type, politely or neutrally, your grievances. This indeed if you want to be "courteous to.." - else your server your... personality really.

And lastly: I don't get this nonsense about microphones - usually from my experience when a player is adamant about mic use they either are some lil screechy over-confident bossy kid (with inherent hefty amount of Dunning-Kruger effect on the low skill aisle) and/or someone into RolePlay, both types stepping hard on my nerves. Have the "wonderful gift" of being overly-verbose? Maybe do some hard "soul-searching" into why you (a general "you" for anyone reading and finding oneself in said "role") are in such need for attention (because that's what it really is) - usually has nothing to do with the game, as any action can be plainly summarized in 1 short sentence.

#1: Ok?

#2: I do put that in the description. Have a mic. I do put that, no Webber, Wilson, or Wes. YET it STILL HAPPENS. Don't assume I don't do that. People just don't read the description.

#3: Console has game chat. So no, it ISN'T normally filled with RP'ers. I have yet to find 1 person who RP's DST. (I mean I haven't seen a console player RP) Kids? Yes. I accept them, or if they get too annoying I mute them. Also, you are seriously assuming here. You say that most people with mics are bossy, then you go and just assume I'm like that? 3/4 of your paragraph is about something I'm not. 

I may be a little harsh when it comes to playing DST,  but it works well. My worlds last, we have high resources, our food is fine. It works for me. If someone decides not to read the description of the game, that is their doing.

---------

Edit: Also, your points are very confusing it feels like you go off on these small rants.... It's like you are going off-topic??? I don't know honestly, but I had to read #1 like 5 times to understand where you are getting at. I still am a little confused honestly

Let me EDIT my last topic so it explains it in detail more.

Edited by GetRektKids

3 hours ago, GetRektKids said:

*snip*

Perhaps.

Anyway, back on topic with only 1 more advice: maybe set your server maximum-allowed number of players to a more manageable amount for you regarding the "carry on" component - aka newbies and such you seem to get and will be able to "carry" as you say without affecting your fun-component and their (plus yours) survivability, sanity drain in case of death, available resources etc.

22 minutes ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Perhaps.

Anyway, back on topic with only 1 more advice: maybe set your server maximum-allowed number of players to a more manageable amount for you regarding the "carry on" component - aka newbies and such you seem to get and will be able to "carry" as you say without affecting your fun-component and their (plus yours) survivability, sanity drain in case of death, available resources etc.

I said that I normally carry servers, and oh boy you balooned it into a huge deal. Let's find 1 miniscule thing and have that be my only argument point. It's not even an argument anymore, it's just "lets ridicule the guy for how he plays."

I'm done talking to you. Your points don't make sense, you are arrogant, and I'm not really in the mood for your shenanigans. 

Man, I really don't like you. 

Anyway, have a good day. 

• Haha 1

Well...

I think the best thing to do is:

1.Join a "young" (before Winter) server

2.Be Woody.

3.geht GOOSEidol(to of them)

4.Run to lunar Island

5.shower everone in glasstools

6.head of to get wood for the rest of the game

7.get killed by 10³ Ents

Edited by I_Link_I
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, I_Link_I said:

Well...

I think the best thing to do is:

1.Join a "young" (before Winter) server

2.Be Woody.

3.geht GOOSEidol(to of them)

4.Run to lunar Island

5.shower everone in glasstools

6.head of to get wood for the rest of the game

DST Forums In A Nutshell: 

1: Be in a forum

2: Say anything that isn't agreed with

3: Get ridiculed 

• Haha 3

H̶o̶w̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶m̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶r̶e̶a̶d̶y̶

Usually when hosting your own server, you should put in the description things that can cause someone from being kicked. i.e “Mic required, no mic = kick.” That way, people aren’t wasting their time and yours by joining a server that doesn’t even want them in the first place.

On 3/6/2020 at 6:22 AM, GetRektKids said:

DST Forums In A Nutshell: 

1: Be in a forum

2: Say anything that isn't agreed with

3: Get ridiculed 

1.  Be in a forum.

2.  Say something really obviously predjudiced, unfair and mean-spirited.

3.  Get called out for being those things.

FTFY

1.  Not everyone HAS a microphone, or wants to use it.  What kind of a rule is that?  I type everything because I have to!  Apparently if it was up to you, I'D GET KICKED OFF MY _OWN_ SERVER!

Also here's another thought:  Creepazoids exist in _all_ games, including Don't Starve.  The second some people heard a FEMALE voice I'd get hit on to no end.  OHMYGOD FEMALE GAMERS THEY'RE SO RARE show bubs!  _Please_ show bubs and vegana?????

(This isn't a hypothetical what-if, by the way.  This has LITERALLY HAPPENED to me, specifically.  And not in just any game--YES, in DST!  Of all freaking games...)

So some of us might not WANT to show our voices.  Er, make them audible.  You know what I mean.

2.  You know what's _really_ courteous?  Accepting all characters!  The SECOND I see someone kicking others just because of who they chose to play, I'm like, "Oh, predjudiced/stereotype-believing jerkbag.  Got it." and I leave willingly.

I mean, I'm a freaking WILLOW main.  Do you have ANY idea how many people still believe the "Willow = griefer" thing, even in 2020?  Do you have any idea HOW many servers I'd get kicked off of, with attitudes like yours?  (Yes, you said Wilson, Webber, Wes.  I mean attitudes like "CHARACTER X = KICK" in general.)  No wonder I started just playing on my own servers.  Also that way I can control the world's settings to be what _I_ like, anyway.

3.  I agree on the not taking resources that were maybe meant for something else without asking first.  That part was reasonable.  ALWAYS ASK.

4.  But seriously, don't be a jerk about what character people want to play.  Sure, stereotypes exist for a reason, but maybe FIND OUT WHAT THE INDIVIDUAL IS ACTUALLY LIKE FIRST.

This has been tips on how to _actually_ be courteous to other players, by Captain Chaotica.

...Notorious

EDIT:  Don't worry, mods--I'm not gonna respond to whatever GetRektKids says to this and escalate things further.  I said what I wanted to say, I'm done.

Edited by CaptainChaotica
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, CaptainChaotica said:

1.  Be in a forum.

2.  Say something really obviously predjudiced, unfair and mean-spirited.

3.  Get called out for being those things.

FTFY

1.  Not everyone HAS a microphone, or wants to use it.  What kind of a rule is that?  I type everything because I have to!  Apparently if it was up to you, I'D GET KICKED OFF MY _OWN_ SERVER!

Also here's another thought:  Creepazoids exist in _all_ games, including Don't Starve.  The second some people heard a FEMALE voice I'd get hit on to no end.  OHMYGOD FEMALE GAMERS THEY'RE SO RARE show bubs!  _Please_ show bubs and vegana?????

(This isn't a hypothetical what-if, by the way.  This has LITERALLY HAPPENED to me, specifically.  And not in just any game--YES, in DST!  Of all freaking games...)

So some of us might not WANT to show our voices.  Er, make them audible.  You know what I mean.

2.  You know what's _really_ courteous?  Accepting all characters!  The SECOND I see someone kicking others just because of who they chose to play, I'm like, "Oh, predjudiced/stereotype-believing jerkbag.  Got it." and I leave willingly.

I mean, I'm a freaking WILLOW main.  Do you have ANY idea how many people still believe the "Willow = griefer" thing, even in 2020?  Do you have any idea HOW many servers I'd get kicked off of, with attitudes like yours?  (Yes, you said Wilson, Webber, Wes.  I mean attitudes like "CHARACTER X = KICK" in general.)  No wonder I started just playing on my own servers.  Also that way I can control the world's settings to be what _I_ like, anyway.

3.  I agree on the not taking resources that were maybe meant for something else without asking first.  That part was reasonable.  ALWAYS ASK.

4.  But seriously, don't be a jerk about what character people want to play.  Sure, stereotypes exist for a reason, but maybe FIND OUT WHAT THE INDIVIDUAL IS ACTUALLY LIKE FIRST.

This has been tips on how to _actually_ be courteous to other players, by Captain Chaotica.

...Notorious

EDIT:  Don't worry, mods--I'm not gonna respond to whatever GetRektKids says to this and escalate things further.  I said what I wanted to say, I'm done.

Before I answer all your questions I have one thing to say. I'm saying this to respond. Not to argue. Well, now that THAT is out of the way, let's get onto it!

1: I put in the description "Have A Mic" so if you don't want to get kicked, don't join. Pretty simple. People without mics hardly communicate. I would rather have someone who would communicate then someone who is dead silent and can't hear me. If you don't have a mic, DONT JOIN.

2: I understand the accepting all characters thing, I do. But I like to play with efficiency. A Wickerbottom will (MOST) of the time be more productive than a Wilson. I have nothing against Willow. She is good. I don't kick someone because they will grief I kick them because they blatantly ignored the description, and gets mad at me when I go along with it? No, not going to happen.

3: *Thumbs up*

4: I normally do, unless I'm really in the mood to go try hard I just play for fun hoping in pubs and chilling. I do t just go pub to pub ridiculing every Wilson, and Webber player. Play what you want. I know that sounds narcissistic, me saying play what you want then me kicking them. If I ask for none of those characters, don't be mad if I kick you.

5: Small side note, sorry about people who do that s**t online. You should never have to deal with people who want that from you. It's f**ked up. Honestly. There are actually quite alot of females who play the game. 1/5ish' games have them (normally) And they are normally Moms XD. Well, people who do that need to just learn private space, and learn how to control themselves. 

Well, here I am explaining myself. I'm not a d**k, I try to be fair. I've never gotten truly complained at in the game. I play DST alot, I enjoy DST, and I have fun in DST. Sorry for clogging the forums, I'm not trying to sound like a prickly cactus. Well, I hope you all have a great day.

• Like 1

Don’t just join a game and immediately ask “Where’s Base?”

in a game that’s for the most part randomly generated, you think we can actually accurately tell you that information without having to come to the portal and lead you back ourselves?

Secondly- Some Of us May be busy running for our lives from a hostile Deerclops, Bearger or Hound Wave so if you type something in chat and don’t immediately get a reply back- Maybe consider that we are too busy to actually answer you at that very moment. Not everyone wears a Headset or likes to voice chat.

So please do remember that in order for us to use the in-game chat and respond to you requires us to actually stop moving and become vulnerable to that angry Deerclops.

Thanks. :) 

• Like 1

Need to drop some item, drop near roads so someone can make better use of it, usually stale food for rot. If near PK just give it your stale meat and leave the gold.

If you play alone avoid making a base other than a machine and a fire pit. Exception being Wurt.

If you just got enough gold, rocks and flint for your own use drop your pickaxe where you are or at the entrance of the biome, flint early game is a RNG fest with birds or luck finding some near base.

If you're logging out, find the base everyone is using and drop your items, but crafted, for example, helmets instead of half a stack of pig skins, umbrella instead of silks, pick/axes, so that it doesn't go to only the first person.picking it, they are greedy.

If on PC, change the floor of you base, no flooring works. That's just so I can reveal map and see where it is, console OP, cheating? Yeah, don't care. I don't like exploring map that much anymore, it takes too long. For anyone curious about the command, use it while you're safe, you won't be able to see your screen for around 30-40 seconds, it resets when you logout or load cave/surface:

local _x,_y,_z = ConsoleCommandPlayer().Transform:GetWorldPosition(); local size, step, x, z; size = 800; step = 40; x,z = -size,-size;
local function tp() if x <= size + step then if z <= size + step then z = z + step else x = x + step; z = -size; end else return true end end;
local function dotp() ConsoleCommandPlayer().Physics:Teleport(x,0,z) if not tp() then TheWorld:DoTaskInTime( 0.033, dotp ) else ConsoleCommandPlayer().Physics:Teleport(_x,_y,_z) end end dotp()

And a bonus, for night vision (you still need a light source), to get rid of it just change true to false

ThePlayer.components.playervision:ForceNightVision(true)

I still don't understand why so many players keep coming back to public servers when they can't handle how people are inherently greedy, especially the kids and this game is also really punishing on new players, meaning any veteran player won't appreciate what a new player can do to help them with the base, in most cases it will be destroyed or they'll do what other people mentioned above, making monster meat into lasagna or using all the stone.

I always felt like i had to play more and more and not log out as it will all be gone/reset by the time i am back, so the only times i even played on public servers i was stressed into playing much longer, i had 10-15 hour sessions.

It just doesn't feels nice to play and not be able to log out and continue later, you can't make a perfect base or kill all the bosses, well killing all the bosses is possible as i've done it quite fast in my speed runs but it just doesn't feel worth it knowing it will all be gone when i log out.

Now if i ever decide to connect to public server i do it to see if there's any new players that actually want to learn the game and i try to help them learn and i don't spend most of my time on building a big base or killing bosses, i may do a 10-12 day ruin rush if i feel like focusing a bit but i don't just share the items when i come back,i also stay in the base and help when it is needed and share my knowledge.

Its actually fun watching new players fail and learn on their own, reminds me of when i started playing DS.

I think it is really exaggerated to expect everyone to be nice to eachother, most new players don't know if what they are doing is wrong/right/rude/nice and most veteran players are plain selfish and rarely do much to help, at most they'll drop a football helmet if they are one of the nicest ones, what new players need isn't the items but knowledge on how to obtain it themselves in a reasonable amount of time. Most veteran players just focus on rushing caves or moon island and when they come back they may give the items to the biggest base made and just go off on their own again and come back with loot from bosses, they usually play that nomadic lifestyle and don't teach anything to new players.

Edited by 00petar00
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, 00petar00 said:

veteran players are plain selfish and rarely do much to help, at most they'll drop a football helmet if they are one of the nicest ones, what new players need isn't the items but knowledge on how to obtain it themselves in a reasonable amount of time. Most veteran players just focus on rushing caves or moon island and when they come back they may give the items to the biggest base made and just go off on their own again and come back with loot from bosses, they usually play that nomadic lifestyle and don't teach anything to new players.

Well this is quite the wakeup call. This pretty much sums up how I operate on pubs (minus the boss rushing). Even though I'm bad at it, I'll have to put some more effort into teaching when I can. Because you're absolutely right, it's not the items that are useful, it's the knowledge on how to obtain them that is.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Sinister_Fang said:

Well this is quite the wakeup call. This pretty much sums up how I operate on pubs (minus the boss rushing). Even though I'm bad at it, I'll have to put some more effort into teaching when I can. Because you're absolutely right, it's not the items that are useful, it's the knowledge on how to obtain them that is.

Well i just summed up how it is for new and veteran players, the way DS/T is designed to be so fun and punishing to new players and this causes a rift between new and veteran players. Veteran players don't like wasting time or want to engage with people who'll waste their resources so that's why public servers are usually a really bad experience.

About Helping players, the idea is to not waste your own time either, so finding someone who is really focused on learning the game while being new. I wouldn't waste my time trying to help someone who isn't putting enough effort on their own and just sits at base eating food someone else brought. Its okay for them to go out and die instead of trying to be safe while consuming food in base doing nothing and not learning anything. 

• Like 3

A friendly reminder!

When in an argument on-server:

- if the argument is an issue with a noob doing noob things, extend patience as much as possible and try to show them the ropes of the game such that they learn. Whether or not they take your advice is ultimately up to them, but by the least you've potentially helped them, or at least tried to if your advice is ignored.

- if the argument is regarding an genuinely accidental destruction of resources, once more, do extend patience and try to find compromises. Try to listen to the other person's side before accusations of "Troll! Greiffer(sic)! Kick him!" begin to fly from either side. Aggression will NOT help matters any, and it will NOT solve the problem, even exacerbating it.

- if the argument is with a troll doing troll things and trying to get a kick off of your ill-feelings, don't continue arguing, kick them and then rollback, preferably in that order such that they do not wreak more havoc. Trolls are most likely not apt to listen to reason, so don't waste your fingers' energy and anger.

- If you feel you've been subject to one too many arguments and massive team-related stress playing Don't Starve Together, take a break. Five minutes, an hour - any time for as long as you get to calm your nerves. After all, you play a game to have wholesome fun - not to tear your hair out calling the mistakes of other people.

- in any disagreement whatsoever, look at both situations and try to find the middle ground and compromise for both parties. Looking at one's own situation alone doesn't help matters any and makes it so that other parties aren't benefited. 

Addendum - Insulting other players for making mistakes not only is extremely hurtful and offensive, but also acts as negative reinforcement which may discourage players from playing due to their newly-acquired negative perceptions and experiences. Gentle, firm reprimands without having to stoop to the level of insults goes a longer way.

Edited by GetNerfedOn
  • Like 9

On 14/3/2020 at 2:05 PM, 00petar00 said:

Well i just summed up how it is for new and veteran players, the way DS/T is designed to be so fun and punishing to new players and this causes a rift between new and veteran players. Veteran players don't like wasting time or want to engage with people who'll waste their resources so that's why public servers are usually a really bad experience.

About Helping players, the idea is to not waste your own time either, so finding someone who is really focused on learning the game while being new. I wouldn't waste my time trying to help someone who isn't putting enough effort on their own and just sits at base eating food someone else brought. Its okay for them to go out and die instead of trying to be safe while consuming food in base doing nothing and not learning anything. 

this, agree to all of it. Due to my time restriction and general lack of trust in anyone honestly, I end up mostly in pubs, so that I don't lose a whole base built alone due to host just skipping off in day 15, added to this, I don't really like using a mic, unless I am very familiar with the person, basically a friend, just find it pointless to be reporting my every doing, but I can see why people request it (griefers), all this combined, actually puts me in a tough spot between exploring/gathering/enjoying or go get the noob at portal to show him the ropes. Don't get me wrong, I've had noobs follow me and assist me and as such I have ''taken them under my wing'' (for the duration of my playtime right then and there), whatever they ask, I answer, whatever they need, I'll help, of course, if I can. All this being said, it sorta kinda grinds my gears (I like WX, get it?) when someone, be it the squeeky edge lord or the ''sage adult veteran'' start spouting nonsense over their mics, acting all knowledgeable. And this is how I ''gauge'' people in pubs or hosted worlds (although I am more chatty with hosts, due to most of em leaving fast ime) to either choose being in a squad or randomly appearing at night.

• Like 2

I have a new tip on how to be courteous to fellow players now:

--Don't tell them that they _have_ to make themselves play with jerks and griefers or else they don't qualify as "experienced".   Even if that's not precisely _discourteous_, it is at least AWFUL advice.  

...Notorious

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2