[Game Update] - 396726

• Developer
  • Conveyor Rails are now highlighted when the Conveyor View is active.
  • Conveyor networks now pulse when hovering a rail in the Conveyor View.
  • Sandbox tools save settings. Some other small sandbox QOL.
  • Changed many elements' default temperatures to 300k - this should only be relevant for sandbox tool defaults
  • Rationbox and Refrigerator are user nameable
  • Broken Automation Wires no longer carry an automation signal
  • Update to chinese strings
  • Copy Settings on the Critter Sensor now copies Critter/Egg detection toggles.
  • Fix Temperature overlay so its tooltips update when F/C/K units option is changed during session
  • Change "Forever" string on the recipe select screen to be localized properly
  • Liquid Shutoff and Gas Shutoff now properly consume power when set to an OPEN state.
  • Conveyor Shutoff now consumes power in an OPEN state, not just OPEN+DISPENSING, to align with the Gas/Liquid Shutoff behaviours
  • Automatic Dispensers now consume power correctly.
  • Disease Clinic now properly consumes power when actively healing a duplicant.
  • Usability pass on Signal Selector / Signal Distributor strings
  • Reduced memory allocations loading and saving state machines. This reduces the save file size as well
  • Loading a sim cell with a mass larger than a million tons will cap to that max. Fixes crashes in some saves where masses were so large it was creating NaNs in temperature calculations
  • Improve Animation lookup times during load

View full update

• Like 6
  • Thanks 10
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Loading a sim cell with a mass larger than a million tons will cap to that max. Fixes crashes in some saves where masses were so large it was creating NaNs in temperature calculations

What's a sim cell? Does it mean 1 tile storage is over?

7 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Conveyor Shutoff now consumes power in an OPEN state, not just OPEN+DISPENSING, to align with the Gas/Liquid Shutoff behaviours

Did i miss something or should this be the conveyor filter?

Oh, damn. This might screw me up alot. I have still alot of my materials stored in single cells.:/

Does it cap by material or in total?

• Reduced memory allocations loading and saving state machines. This reduces the save file size as well

Just as some kind of feedback. My save-game sizes are:

• 19.10.2019 - 12.887 kB
  • 20.02.2020 - 13.259 kB
  • 21.02.2020 - 13.583 kB
  • 25.02.2020 - 15.114 kB
  • 25.02.2020 - 14.191 kB
  • 26.02.2020 - 14.496 kB
  • 27.02.2020 - 13.775 kB (resaved the old file)

So the file-size still seems to go down by almost 1 MB in both of the recent file-size patches.:D

Edited by blash365

Loading a sim cell with a mass larger than a million tons will cap to that max. Fixes crashes in some saves where masses were so large it was creating NaNs in temperature calculations

So is this just use for temp calculation or If mass larger than that the extras will just vanish ?

• Developer
8 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

To clarify this note a little: This does not affect debris / physical elements that have been dropped or swept into the same cell. Rather, it affects when more than a million tons of a single gaseous or liquid element have been compressed into a single tile. Those elements will now have their mass reduced to the million ton cap on load. Without this cap, colonies continually compressing huge amounts of gas or liquid into a single tile were doomed to inevitably get into a broken state, where they would crash immediately on load.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

To put it into perspective, a million tons of liquid is 10kg/s pumped into a single tile 24/7 for 166,667 cycles. So not something you could ever realistically achieve without using debug or sandbox mode. For all intents and purposes it has no effect on actual game play.

Edited by Saturnus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:

Nice! Finally a way to limit Regolith: Just put it all into one tile and occasionally save+restore.

13 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

Nice! Finally a way to limit Regolith: Just put it all into one tile and occasionally save+restore.

1 hour ago, fatheroctopus said:

To clarify this note a little: This does not affect debris / physical elements that have been dropped or swept into the same cell. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fatheroctopus said:

To clarify this note a little: This does not affect debris / physical elements that have been dropped or swept into the same cell. 

Aw, does not work after all. Pity. Liquid and gas I can just dump to space.

I understand a crash can occur when the system detects too high numbers, but why the decision at 1 million? From what i´ve learned, the problems in the past where at around 2,2 Million, because thats where 32bit values flip, becoming negative and then result in an error. 

I dont question the one million, but it want to understand ^^

8 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

I understand a crash can occur when the system detects too high numbers, but why the decision at 1 million? From what i´ve learned, the problems in the past where at around 2,2 Million, because thats where 32bit values flip, becoming negative and then result in an error. 

"To have a million and not to have a million add up to two millions" - Esterad Thyssen, King of Kovir

Edited by Angpaur
  • Haha 5

41 minutes ago, SharraShimada said:

This is all done in short-float, which only has 23 significant bits. The decision for 1M is likely due to the constants involved in temperature calculations.

NaNs are created (amont other things) when you divide by zero. If you have something like X = A /(B - C) and B, C are the same up to 23 binary digits, you run into that issue, for example. 

7 hours ago, Saturnus said:

To put it into perspective, a million tons of liquid is 10kg/s pumped into a single tile 24/7 for 166,667 cycles. So not something you could ever realistically achieve without using debug or sandbox mode. For all intents and purposes it has no effect on actual game play.

Or around 80 maps worth of Oceania salt water all drained into 1 cell. :D

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Changed many elements' default temperatures to 300k - this should only be relevant for sandbox tool defaults

Very nice. 320K was a bit high normal circumstances. Could you also turn the germ setting to 0? Usually you don't want germs in your gasses and liquids

Anyone else notice their airlock doors mysteriously vanishing? I first chalked it up to a dupe lashing out but I ruled that one out. They don't leave any ore or residue, they just straight up disappear. Haven't managed to see this happen on screen live.

• Developer
6 minutes ago, nvzboy said:

Anyone else notice their airlock doors mysteriously vanishing? I first chalked it up to a dupe lashing out but I ruled that one out. They don't leave any ore or residue, they just straight up disappear. Haven't managed to see this happen on screen live.

This should be fixed in the next patch! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, Saturnus said:

a million tons of liquid is 10kg/s pumped into a single tile 24/7 for 166,667 cycles

So...basically 10kg/s pumped into a single tile for roughly 1 ONI development cycle. :wilson_ecstatic:

Spoiler

Actually not even, because unless I did my math wrong (and I probably did), that only comes out to 1.9 years.

On 2/26/2020 at 6:02 PM, Ipsquiggle said:
  • Sandbox tools save settings. Some other small sandbox QOL.

...mind elaborating please? :wilson_curious:

Edited by watermelen671

Well since you guys did some work to the Critter Sensor it would be great if there would be an Advanced Variant (or existing) that is able to differentiate between Pufts and Puft Prince as an example. Would help in the Puft Scenario or between Variants of other Critters.

Also it would help if Dupes were intelligent enough to catch those critters which do not belong in a room with the Critter Drop off. So everything which is not a puft, puftprince (since the drop-off do not hold them) is catched out of the pen. Maybe it would be then good to set the number individually also great would be if you can set Drop offs as Dump which do not have an maximum number of critters in Room.