Would thirst be a good mechanic to add?

12 minutes ago, Kuba5565 said:

Besides sanity, hunger, temperature and health, thirst is also very important in survival. Drinking water is even more important than eating. I think i saw a mod that adds thirst bar and ability to drink stuff, but would it be a good idea to add it to acctual game?

Having too many mechanics that you have to attend too would likely make the game more tedious than fun.

Why?? There’s literally ocean EVERYWHERE and it rains every other day, I’m pretty sure Thirst isn’t an Issue.

However I HAVE played two games that factor in thirst alongside Hunger, Ark Survival Evolved and 7 Days To Die.

at least 7 Days To Die was clever with it, sure you could drink stream water or eat snow.. but it would likely be contaminated and end up hurting you more then it helped you. To drink water in that game you needed to a BOIL the contamination’s out of it first.

which ended up being more annoying than fun, since Dying in both Ark and 7 Days To Die didn’t really mean anything you can just respawn.. many people myself included decided it was faster & easier just to die and respawn.

Which is probably Exactly why Red Dead Redemption 2 only does Food and ignores Water.. But Now If something like State of Decay 2 or Don’t Starve had Water as a mechanic (assuming it was done like 7 day to Dies...) it would be annoying as hell sure, but at least Dying in those two games means something.

I'd rather like to see improvements on food and how to get it. Like specific vegetables each seasons, or more specific animals that we could only find in the right season.

An official table for crafting potion would be nice though. We have the halloween one but we could easily complete it, with potions for light, damage, speed, dark vision, friendly potion, make an enemy a friend, dark magic, ETC....

Drinks for magic ! Where's the ancient dungeon to find the blueprint ? I'm ready !

1 hour ago, Voidbarker said:

ngl, i sort of find the strings in Thirsty for Tea to be out of character

fa4fb0b237e9ce7a8a1b678979be0682.jpg

well, actually in my mod quotes are utilized things mostly, for bottles, kettle and water capasitors.

Also I am not native speaker and thus can not write good lines for all the items, that's it.

I dont think thirst merchanic can be implemented very easily

few points why:

1. rain isn't occurring frequently in autumn, or in summer ( the only plain water source is mined ice, hot spring and pond ?)

2. ocean is salt water in constant, since there is salt crystal, drinking it makes you more thirsty

3. people gonna rely to build next to pond, swamp and cactus in desert and random villian frogs spawn, pretty annoying

how can they fix this and why it is hard to fix:

1. spawn more ponds on surface and in cave when world gen

problem:
    - ponds are indestructible, player start blaming that ponds block the way to build a kingdom

- ponds are destructible, but not renewable, expect a good world gen and keep regenerating world

2. implement new structure: well ( materials: a lots of boards, cut stones and ropes )

- you can build one after unlocking first or second tier science machine

- upon world gen, spawn a few of them as a set piece, they are appear to be broken first
       you can fix them with cut stones, ropes, boards later

problem:

- water source is still not reliable and the game seems not very friendly to new player

3. carriable bucket to store water
    problem:
      - have to repeatly to take water from here to there, I believe it would then be very boring mechanic when water source isn't relatively near

anyway, I'm welcome if the thirst mechanic is going to be implemented

14 hours ago, Mr. Despair said:

No, I have yet to see a game in which thirst is a fun thing and doesn't makes the game annoying to play.

I thought the thirst mechanic added an interesting element to Survival Kids on Gameboy. But that game was a lot less complex than Don't Starve and I think it benefited from the complication it added. Don't Starve is already plenty complicated without a thirst mechanic, so I agree it doesn't need one.

19 hours ago, Kuba5565 said:

Besides sanity, hunger, temperature and health, thirst is also very important in survival. Drinking water is even more important than eating. I think i saw a mod that adds thirst bar and ability to drink stuff, but would it be a good idea to add it to acctual game?

No! I think sanity is big problem enough. It's not nice to looking water everytime

20 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Why?? There’s literally ocean EVERYWHERE and it rains every other day, I’m pretty sure Thirst isn’t an Issue.

However I HAVE played two games that factor in thirst alongside Hunger, Ark Survival Evolved and 7 Days To Die.

at least 7 Days To Die was clever with it, sure you could drink stream water or eat snow.. but it would likely be contaminated and end up hurting you more then it helped you. To drink water in that game you needed to a BOIL the contamination’s out of it first.

which ended up being more annoying than fun, since Dying in both Ark and 7 Days To Die didn’t really mean anything you can just respawn.. many people myself included decided it was faster & easier just to die and respawn.

Which is probably Exactly why Red Dead Redemption 2 only does Food and ignores Water.. But Now If something like State of Decay 2 or Don’t Starve had Water as a mechanic (assuming it was done like 7 day to Dies...) it would be annoying as hell sure, but at least Dying in those two games means something.

Dying in 7 Days brought down your game score, and spawned less enemies, made the game easier for you, and decreased your maximum  health. Once your game score went done less enemies spawned therefore less loot. So dying wasn't a great game plan sadly. Ark though ehhhhh Kinda???????? BUt getting back was a PAIN

There’s a good mod that adds it, along with cups, tea, ways to get water, etc. 

While the water gauge isn’t bad with the mod, I prefer playing without it. When I’m wanting to play a more realistic survival game with thirst, I just play The Long Dark. I feel like in DST it might come off as more tedious than anything else. 

On 11/14/2019 at 11:50 PM, Desblat said:

fa4fb0b237e9ce7a8a1b678979be0682.jpg

well, actually in my mod quotes are utilized things mostly, for bottles, kettle and water capasitors.

Also I am not native speaker and thus can not write good lines for all the items, that's it.

not intended. i can offer help if you'd like me to?

I'd find it kind of weird for a new basic need on the level of the hunger and sanity meters to be added this late into DS's development, rather than back in Reign of Giants or A New Reign or even the original DS early access cycle pre-All's Well That Maxwell. It's an obvious idea, and as previously mentioned Klei did in fact think of it and decide not to do it, but if they decided they wanted to do it after all surely they would have done it earlier.

On 11/14/2019 at 10:54 AM, Mike23Ua said:

I hate to be that guy, but ocean = salt-water. You actually lose body water by drinking ocean water, and considering the fact that salt actually precipitates out of these oceans, you know DST's ocean is saltier than a Wicker main after Wurt takes all her REEds. 

Sorry I just realized I necro'd this thread. I honestly have no idea how I got here; I thought I was on page 1.

1 hour ago, Rinkusan said:

Sorry I just realized I necro'd this thread. I honestly have no idea how I got here; I thought I was on page 1.

If you look on the other replies you can see this mechanic is a bad idea anyway so this thread should be long lost by now(i already forgot about it). I was curious about this and got the answer.

Archived