What do you think about Critters?

On 9/28/2019 at 11:26 AM, MrKoopa said:

It would be nice if Critters did do different things. But as I said before, don't really care if they don't. It's just a nice thing to have. A part of me would like to have more than 1 at a time. 

You shouldn't have said that.

image.png.9fcc9b2ec82380b5a0f4659b93148a43.png

=)

To be fair,I like the ideia of having critters just as a “cosmetic” and fun addition than an actual mechanic needed for someone to make progress in the game,however,if we look at the situation with a survivor perspective we can agree that Mothling is the ONLY critter that gives you a little bit of advantage by keeping you away from the darkness.
In my humble opinion just a little bonus for every critter would make the game 100 times more fun to play with them and not break it to the point where “everyone needs a pet”.

Simple things like :

*Vargling raises your damage by 1%.*

*Kittykit drops random itens just like a catcoon.*

*Glom glom has a little sanity aura.*

*Broodling makes you lose temperature slower.*

*Giblet make more seeds spawn by birds.*

*And ewelet decrease the effects of stun lock by 0,1 sec.*

I’m nothing close to a game designer but a little change would make them perfect in my opinion, this and a actual reason to pet your critter other than you having nothing better to do.

Spoiler

And make the critters not cry every 1 day without food.

I like Bernado's ideas, was thinking the same about Glomglom and Broodling. Some additional ideas:

Kittykit: Catching butterflies and carrats (will put it in your inventory if catched alive), also will fish sometimes if near pond
Vargling: Will hold rabbits and moles for a few seconds, will sometimes dig out a boneshard
Ewelet: Could spit on mobs which are attacking you, causing them to pause for a few seconds (not working on bosses).

They won't do these things when hungry.

6 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

I wish they would be deleted from the game.

The world of dont starve isnt supposed to be a home, having wacky pets takes away from the survival wilderness atmosphere.

Its the reason that glommer and chester are disgusting creatures that only care about the flower and eyebone, its why tall birds grow up to hate you and attack on sight.

Maybe the world of Don't Starve isn't supposed to be a home, but it doesn't seem like the survivors in Don't Starve Together really care about how things are "supposed" to be. With other survivors to live with, wardrobes full of clothing to look good in and even holidays to celebrate, it seems like the survivors are making the Constant their home after all. Official art even depicts Chester as a "family dog" of sorts.

7 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

Well, that's pretty extreme. You don't personally like this content that's been in the game for years, so you want it to be removed entirely?

Its the reason that glommer and chester are disgusting creatures that only care about the flower and eyebone

Disgusting creatures that only care about an object? No, no, you're probably thinking of Packim. Chester's been consistently portrayed as loving the survivors like a dog, and Glommer's species has been shown to be capable of bonding with humans as of Glomglom. While you're correct that Chester and Glommer aren't traditionally cute like critters are, simplifying their actions down to the game mechanic of them following an item is just silly.

And even if you dislike Critters, it's not like they replaced the more unappealing style of followers. We've got Hutch and Ro Bin keeping that style alive and well.

its why tall birds grow up to hate you and attack on sight.

...Is this meant to be a positive thing? The process of raising a Smallbird is quite possibly the worst vanilla Don't Starve mechanic, because you can constantly tell it hasn't been touched for ~6 years:
- Steal an egg from a Tallbird, a mob that exists to do nothing but roam around its nest, attack you if you get close, and chase you if you steal said egg.
- Place egg by a firepit and then babysit it for 3 whole days.
- Smallbird hatches, asks for food and does nothing.
- Smallbird dies from a hound wave.
- Start the process over.
- Smallbird grows into Smallish Tallbird, needs more food and still does nothing.
- Smallish Tallbird dies from a hound wave.
- Smallish Tallbird grows into a Tallbird.
- Tallbird does not make a nest, does not do anything interesting, and attempts to kill you.
- Your time and effort and food was wasted.
It's very comedic and I'm sure it fit in fine when the game was still figuring out its identity, but Tallbirds as a whole stick out as something that barely fits in now, both in DS and DST.

On 9/28/2019 at 6:15 AM, Datanon said:

i think either all of them should be useful for something or not. mothling being the one odd out makes me uncomfortable

First off, this.

13 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I wish they were integrated into the game as real animals, rather than just waste them as cosmetics. 

I mean how cool would it be that in Spring, you see animals taking care of their babies. Like the dragonfly could have little baby dragonflies, hounds have varglings, etc.

This. I'd love to be able to interact with them and care for them some more.
Having some invincible creature not interact with the world bothers me a lot, it's why I much prefer Smallbirds.
They're attacked, they attack, they starve, they can attempt to survive on their own (as with the Lavae) but ultimately need a parent, I love that.
I feel like original mobs taking care of their critters may be a bit much, but I'd LOVE to actually be able to raise the critters.

10 hours ago, TheTraditionalGentleman said:

I’d like for them to at least have a little more interactivity (maybe an actual petting animation?). 

If we can't get them to function like the Smallbird, I'd much prefer actually being able to mess around with Critters.

A proper interaction animation, maybe custom feeding anims, that stuff. Something I personally would like is to be able to carry them around. Like, it serves no function, but it'd be cute!

8 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

The world of dont starve isnt supposed to be a home, having wacky pets takes away from the survival wilderness atmosphere.

I'll admit I myself wasn't too fond of the idea once they rolled in, but now that it's a thing I don't see why they should remove it.
Thankfully they're 100% optional.
I do wish DST kept to what DS was, but I think this is something I can look past.

4 minutes ago, -Variant said:

I'll admit I myself wasn't too fond of the idea once they rolled in, but now that it's a thing I don't see why they should remove it.

Thankfully they're 100% optional.
I do wish DST kept to what DS was, but I think this is something I can look past.

Should be able to kill them at the very least.

All these tiny little buffs will do nothing to pull them out of uselessness because they're not supposed to be useful lol, they're supposed to sit there and look pretty(which is why I find it weird that they gave that moon butterfly pet that glow ability, which tbh is still kinda trash)

Seeing as they're almost pure cosmetic, how about we just give them the ability to wear tiny versions of whatever hat you give them, let us rename them and call it a day

3 hours ago, Brago-sama said:

Seeing as they're almost pure cosmetic, how about we just give them the ability to wear tiny versions of whatever hat you give them, let us rename them and call it a day

This would also be very nice !! (I’ve never thought about it).

But if Klei make all the critters “useless” and not give them any mechanics,the following could occur :

1-They would have to take Mothling ability to shine because it’s literally a “out of jail card” situation,you don’t need to prepare for the night if your pet is well fed.

2-Maybe only people who REALLY like pets would get them,because there’s no living advantage of having them.

3-Klei would have to ban certain names or words because they could’ve been considered “offensive”(and thus creating a Warbucks situation again).

4-People would literally give them pets the best hat (like Tam’O’Shanter) and (if in a public server) forget about the other friends.

20 minutes ago, Bernado1 said:

3-Klei would have to ban certain names or words because they could’ve been considered “offensive”(and thus creating a Warbucks situation again).

See, at first thought I'd be ok with this, perhaps tapping into Steam's profanity filter or something to avoid upkeep...
Then I remember that they censor words like Chinchilla, common to the Rimworld community due to it being an actual animal, and profanity censors start to seem really dumb.

10 hours ago, Sunset Skye said:

...Is this meant to be a positive thing? The process of raising a Smallbird is quite possibly the worst vanilla Don't Starve mechanic, because you can constantly tell it hasn't been touched for ~6 years:
- Steal an egg from a Tallbird, a mob that exists to do nothing but roam around its nest, attack you if you get close, and chase you if you steal said egg.
- Place egg by a firepit and then babysit it for 3 whole days.
- Smallbird hatches, asks for food and does nothing.
- Smallbird dies from a hound wave.
- Smallbird grows into Smallish Tallbird, needs more food and still does nothing.
- Smallish Tallbird dies from a hound wave.
- Smallish Tallbird grows into a Tallbird.
- Tallbird does not make a nest, does not do anything interesting, and attempts to kill you.
- Your time and effort and food was wasted.
It's very comedic and I'm sure it fit in fine when the game was still figuring out its identity, but Tallbirds as a whole stick out as something that barely fits in now, both in DS and DST.

Yeah, I agree. I did it once on ps3 to get a trophy and nevermore. I guess that it is another in-game content that should be "patched/changed".

5 hours ago, Bernado1 said:

I doubt this part, because currently in game, we can write on signs. They don’t have any words banned on signs, do they? I’ve never tried writing any swear words on one, so I wouldn’t know. 

7 hours ago, Bernado1 said:

They would have to take Mothling ability to shine because it’s literally a “out of jail card” situation,you don’t need to prepare for the night if your pet is well fed.

But... that is preparing for the night. You don't have to prepare for the night if you prepare for the night by feeding your pet...?

1 hour ago, Sunset Skye said:

But... that is preparing for the night. You don't have to prepare for the night if you prepare for the night by feeding your pet...?

What I’m saying is that you literally don’t have to do anything related to the light tab,like setting a campfire, creating a torch or even lighting things on fire. I kinda of agree when you say that your preparation for the night would be keeping the pet fed,but this is just too random to be considered a preparation.

You locate the he ocean,build a boat,sail to te ocean,find the lunar island,chop some trees,capture some moths,go back to the main island,find the summoning critter rock and a then you summon the only pet that gives you an advantage out of 7.

Even before the second step you would have better options when it comes to light and escaping the darkness.

I'm actually a fan of the light ability of the Moth. Adds some more variety to how to tackle lighting; good in a game where darkness is a constantly recurring event that needs to be dealt with.

It only seems like a bad thing when compared to the other pets that do nothing all...which is more at fault of the other pets than the moth.
Even back when the pet den system was first introduced, I thought they needed some sort of final polishing in order to feel like...well, a piece of the game. Rather than something randomly tacked on.

We also had this same conversation back then, and most of these points were brought up.

16 hours ago, Ogrecakes said:

Yes, yes, DST is committed to ruining many aspects of the original Don't Starve, I get it by now.

Doesn't mean I have to like it.

This is such a hilariously overblown series of replies to funny animal-related minor mechanics in a video game that I'm sincerely hoping you're joking for your own sake more than anything. Pet the moth and lighten up the smallest a smidge. ;)

Anyways,

I do think Pets should have small perks similar to Mothling. I think it'd be a small, but fun minor thing that you should go "oh hey, that was neat" between various game related tasks. Vargling helping you fight, cooking on larvae, etc. Release a fire hound pet too, please. I love the winter vargling but the fire hounds are so cute I want one too...

I personally find they're addition a nice distraction from all the menacing aspects of of dont starve. They're cute as heck and taking care of them makes me feel good.

Plus it isnt really a burden to me to throw a bit of food in its mouth every now and again. (I can't speak for everyone, but food is never really an issue for me).

They're adorable. I liked them when they didn't do anything except be adorable, and I'd still have adopted a non-glowy Mothling because I love its design, but it would definitely be an improvement if the dragonling at the very least had some mechanical use since it takes more effort to obtain than the mothling and is less useful. (I liked the suggestion of cooking on it.)

Mind you, I'm the one who wears flower crowns even when better sanity hats are available just for the look; optimising my gameplay is not really a concern for me.

Archived