What do you think about Critters?

Hello everyone! =)

I think they are very pretty but I almost never used them because they are completely useless in game =(. 

I mean... Will you ever wear an amazing in-game hat that gives you nothing than be so cool? 

I guess that the critters appers like a sort of beta right now, in my opinion they could have some more impactful traits. I dunno, maybe something like Scrappy Varglings could give you bonus damage when hitting monster or the Playful Kittykit could give a little sanity aura? 

So my question again... What do you think about Critters?

I think they could be amazing but right now they are... Meh

13 minutes ago, SonicDen220 said:

*cries in Mothling*

Well...Mothling has a use, haha.

It'd be nice if the others all did some small thing like that when fed. Just so it feels like they...exist.
I mean, you can make near-useless cosmetic items that still feel like they have a slight purpose in the game. Garland skins, for instance. Just about every other head slot item in the game is a better choice...but the slight stability added to sanity at least makes it seem like an option when you aren't doing anything important.
Currently Mothling dominates as the only one with a skill, especially with the noises the other pets make when you don't constantly give your resources to their lazy butts. Even before the moth, that mostly kept me away from them.

It would be nice if Critters did do different things. But as I said before, don't really care if they don't. It's just a nice thing to have. A part of me would like to have more than 1 at a time. 

53 minutes ago, Mattyington said:

Well, skins don't scream when you don't feed them.

You shouldn't have said that.

image.png.9fcc9b2ec82380b5a0f4659b93148a43.png

3 hours ago, Mattyington said:

Well, skins don't scream when you don't feed them.

Even I scream when not fed. :<

5 hours ago, Khalon said:

I mean... Will you ever wear an amazing in-game hat that gives you nothing than be so cool? 

Yes. Pretty much why I'm that person who picks flowers sometimes. I agree some very minimal perks would be cool though. Attack dmg, less hunger loss, sanity boost - on a garland scale. Etc.

4 minutes ago, Ezaroth said:

I just want to say that critters also blocks the cursor, in addition to the noise.

Very minimal perks are definitely welcomed.

On console it's even worse if you're trying to build neatly without mods since when you walk through them they nudge you ever so slightly and make you regret why you got them right before lining up 40 chests

I was perfectly fine with the fact that all critters are useless. I loved my little wyvernling and it's just hilarous how Warly calls his ewelet Lambchop. It was ok. But now we have mothling and it wins every other critter 10-0 and I think it's just wrong. In my opinion every critter should have a special ability, or even better, none of them should. Now there's no reason to get any other pet but mothling, which is really boring. I'll get the others anyway because I like them but still I'll know there's a better option and I can't be fully happy with my adorable kittykit. That's just sad.

I find it weird that mothling isn't even the hardest one to craft. You just have to explore a bit and wait until the first summer. To craft broodling you'll have to kill dragonfly or klaus possibly multiple times before you're lucky enough to get yourself a lavae egg. In my opinion even ewelet is harder to get because first you'll have to find ewecus and then actually fight it. To get mothling you just have to walk/sail around.

I said I'd wish all critters were equally useless and honestly I think it would be the best. But if they had some abilities imo good ones would be something like this:

Kittykit -When crafty it would puke you stuff like pinecones or petals, like catcoons do. Nothing too valuable.

Vargling -Scrappy vargling would sometimes help you with your fights dealing <10 dmg per hit. It's a nice bonus, not a real weapon.

Ewelet -You could shave it for small tufts of steel wool you can then refine to actual steel wool. Maybe you'd need to keep it well-fed to make it extra puffy before you can trim it.

Broodling -You can cook food on it. You can cook on extra adorable lavae, why not broodling?

Glomglom -Playful glomglom would have a small sanity aura. Lesser than Glommer's and only for it's owner.

Giblet -Maybe it summons birds? Or poops guano when fed?? I don't know.

Anyway, critters should stay (at least mostly) cosmetic. And yes, I do use cool hats with no purpose. I even have floorings on my camps and I'm a huge fan of Furniture Megapack -mod. We can never have too much fabulous yet useless stuff to show off.

Just now, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I mean how cool would it be that in Spring, you see animals taking care of their babies. Like the dragonfly could have little baby dragonflies, hounds have varglings, etc.

This. Always thought it would be nice if the process for obtaining pets were more similar to Smallbirbs. They need to be worked on of course, but how you actually get and befriend Smallbirbs feels really natural, like a perfectly reasonable course of events within the game world.

I wish they would be deleted from the game.

The world of dont starve isnt supposed to be a home, having wacky pets takes away from the survival wilderness atmosphere.

Its the reason that glommer and chester are disgusting creatures that only care about the flower and eyebone, its why tall birds grow up to hate you and attack on sight.

Archived