Are They Gonna Release RoT Ever?

2 hours ago, AFS Co. said:

It's been almost 2 months since the original release date, and RoT is still under beta. Are they really gonna release it this year?

According to the fact that there's an Eyebrella twitch skin incoming soon which perhaps is not a character specific skin, I bet that this skin will be released together with RoT which will be released either before Woodie update or after.

From the console perspective, 2019 has been all about getting a few new characters and some reworks. We haven't seen any new content this year except for Year of the Pig King. 

20190804_054039.thumb.jpg.ffc412a1fc0bf3913a70308cb5f1ec7a.jpg

From the 2019 roadmap thread. I guess I was actually stoked for DST in the last few months of 2019! Don't get me wrong though, the new characters are amazing and have kept me busy in the mean time. My body is ready for the new new though. 

They wanted "everything to be more polished and 'complete' before it goes to the live version of Don't Starve Together", as per the Return of Them Status Update post, and there was a memory leak issue that needed addressing (can't find that post stating as such).

No current ETA, but they'll keep is  updated once they're "reasonably certain of the new date" (same RoT update post).

Since new DLC is free, I don't think the game is that profitable based on selling just skins and characters (you can still get them free if you play a lot). Therefore, they must have limited manpower in developing the new content. If somehow they can make the game more profitable in an acceptable manner to players, they will be able to allocate more personnel to DST development, new content will be so much faster.  It is hideously slow right now in pushing new content XD, just take my money and do it twice faster with twice many people on the job. lol

Overall, I think DST has become a mascot of Klei, for popularity not for money, cos after so many years, most of people who ever gonna play have alread had a copy. It's a one time purchase. 

They always talked about the option 1 for the sake of player base, but player base will be reduced either way.

1. Free DLC: 

Pro: Do not separate player base;  New contents are free.

Cons: New content coming up very slowly (yearly most likely); Some players get bored quitting -> smaller player base

Klei's perspective: The game might not be sustainable, for paying their expenses from the selling skins for fewer and fewer players, but it promotes the company's popularity. 

2. Paid DLC:

Pros: Faster in publishing new content; Player pays a few dollars to get new content every a few months (less than 5 dollars most likely when on sale). 

Cons: Some decide not to buy the new content -> smaller player base

Klei's persepctive: Paid DLC can increase Klei's revenue from DST, whihc can increase the longevity of the game. Changing from free DLC to paid DLC will make some player MAD.

I'm less concerned with it getting released and more so concerned with information regarding its release.

I can only assume the next batch of info is going to come shortly before it's pushed to the normal branch as to avoid another missed date given out to the public. The downside is we're completely in the dark until a week or so before it drops officially.

We've essentially hit the end of the stuff stated on the first initial roadmap: Turn of Tides [Beta], Wormwood, Warly
So it's just a waiting game until we get a new roadmap, presumably once Turn of Tides exits beta.

3 hours ago, Zeklo said:

We've essentially hit the end of the stuff stated on the first initial roadmap: Turn of Tides [Beta], Wormwood, Warly
So it's just a waiting game until we get a new roadmap, presumably once Turn of Tides exits beta.

With this in mind, I feel like it's very likely we'll be getting a massive update on ToT soon.

-We haven't had hotfixes since Warly, a week ago. While this by itself doesn't mean much, it is oddly coincidental with the rear-end of the Roadmap: We're either getting a sneak peek on the incoming new character for the Main Branch, or something big here.

-We've got hints in the game files about the massive Malbatross, both as images and quotes, which indicate they've been working on mob-related assets, even if it was removed in subsequent versions.

-The last hotfixes have been a lot more game-changing. Bugs are still being fixed, but it seems they've been polishing things more than anything, with the new Ocean, Sea Stacks, Boat behaviour and Sailing overhauls.

-A general sense of restlessness fills this forum, things feel too calm, as if bracing for the incoming wave... or maybe that's just me :V

By all means, It's nice to take this time and enjoy all the content that's already been added to the game, like the 2 full Reworks and 3 new Survivors, as well as the massive addition of Boats, the Ocean and the Fruits that made Stone farm-able with Wickerbottom.
It's coming when it's coming, don't eat the premium steak in one bite.

Yeah I'd admit I was excited when I read the DST 2019 road map way back in January, but after 8 months in, there's only been a few characters and character refreshes. The original estimate for new base game content was dated mid-April, but 8 months in with no significant base game change is a bit yikes. RoT content was then estimated to launch June 20, but that's been delayed at least 47 days now.

On 1/22/2019 at 1:59 PM, Bigfoot said:

Brand New Content
The team is now working on brand new content for Don’t Starve Together. Survivors will be able to travel to new lands with new biomes, creatures, and more. 

The first drop of this new content will come in mid-April

Their reasoning is that they want to make sure the released content isn't rough around the edges. I am blown away by the work their animators have done though, those people are talented.

I think that RoT was not a top priority now, because ONI (Oxygen not Included) now had big updates and developers finished the game. Now that everything has been solved partially, I think that the priority of RoT and ToT will be high again. So the rate of development will slightly increase.

I've been asking the same question to myself all summer, and now that school's starting back up for me, it's hard to care anymore. Still kind of excited I guess, and I'm still kind of excited about that thing that Joe said that console players would especially like. Maybe that will be released too... some day....

34 minutes ago, reverentsatyr said:

I've been asking the same question to myself all summer, and now that school's starting back up for me, it's hard to care anymore. Still kind of excited I guess, and I'm still kind of excited about that thing that Joe said that console players would especially like. Maybe that will be released too... some day....

Yeahhhhhhhhh haha, they are killing us with that unannounced thing. I was positive it was going to be the gorge, but its been a while since Warly released... so I am not so sure anymore. I mean a gorge in the summer along with a character release, who happens to be a chef, surely would have attracted some players back. 

The delays are admittedly a pain, but it is definitely better then them rushing it out. Its just that I think keeping players interested is important too. We might always come back, but other fans really don't have a reason to if the content just takes THAT long to release. The character releases/reworks definitely help keep players interested, but there is just another reason for them to bring the gorge back again. Seriously they don't even have to put up their servers for it, just finally let us host our own gorge/forge games and disable the console. I.... uhh still can't quite figure out why this hasn't been done yet.

2 hours ago, Ornge said:

dlc

Not to start fire but it could be called either one.

Like, DLC just means Downloadable Content. 
There's such thing as "free DLC" because not all DLC is paid for to begin with.

Anyhow, on the topic, while I'm dying to play the finished thing, I'm okay with waiting for a more polished version of ToT.
I still love to hear something about the content though, sitting in the dark kind of bothers me.

11 hours ago, Fi7iP said:

I think that RoT was not a top priority now, because ONI (Oxygen not Included) now had big updates and developers finished the game. Now that everything has been solved partially, I think that the priority of RoT and ToT will be high again. So the rate of development will slightly increase.

You do know DST has their own separate development team not related to the other games. Each Klei games have their own division and they rarely interchange employees. So this reasoning wouldn't affect much on development speed of updates.

-As for priorities RoT & Woodie Rework should be top priority right now because if they're not then what is in Priority? 

All I want is JoeW to announce their progress on the Update some time this month, since it's been weeks since the last one and they said they'll keep us up to date on things :(.

16 hours ago, Fi7iP said:

I'm pretty sure there are partial teams working at the games but as with the launch annoucement it seems some developers from ONI will move to make RoT or Griftlands

4 hours ago, Flash.Jonathan said:

You do know DST has their own separate development team not related to the other games. Each Klei games have their own division and they rarely interchange employees. So this reasoning wouldn't affect much on development speed of updates.

-As for priorities RoT & Woodie Rework should be top priority right now because if they're not then what is in Priority? 

All I want is JoeW to announce their progress on the Update some time this month, since it's been weeks since the last one and they said they'll keep us up to date on things :(.

Yeah, but who knows maybe there were more people working there, the updates were big enough, but I won't argue and I don't know how it really is.
Yeah, and I hope too :)

20 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Jsem si jistý, že na hrách pracují dílčí týmy, ale jak se zdá při spuštění, zdá se, že někteří vývojáři z ONI se přesunou, aby vytvořili RoT nebo Griftlands

Yes, I agree, but I think the development of OnI is not over yet.

Archived