Inventory Layout Showcase

There's a lot of ways to organize your supplies, but is there a way you favor more? What makes it feel better than all the other ways? Do you even go through the trouble of making your inventory nice and neat? 

These are the types of things I'd like to answer with this thread. It may not be as glamorous as showing off your base or fashion sense, but it's something we're all bound to do as we load up on survival equipment. 

If you're interested, add a screenshot of your inventory below, along with a little insight on why things go where they go. Who knows? Maybe we'll learn something.

I'm actually super curious what other people do. With 15 inventory slots and 8 packpack slots it's arranged like this:

1. Weapon/cane -swapped

2. Helmet/Headgear swapped.

3. Lantern.

4. Chest armor.

5-10. Free slots for gathering

11. Life-giving amulet

12. Magiluminesce. 

13. Stack of food.

14. Stack of Glommer goop

15. Stack of Nightmare fuel

Backpack (crafting supplies) 

B1. Stack of Silk

B2. Stack of pigskin

B3. Stack of twigs

B4. Stack of grass

B5. Stack of wood

B6. Stack of gold

B7. Stack of stone

B8. Stack of Flint

After making a krampus sack I add rope, nitre, reeds, and paper to my crafting sack.

The only disadvantage I've found to this is that a frog will knock out my weapon/cane first. That's about it. I could fix it by moving my nightmare fuel to that side of my inventory. But using WASD to move I prefer hotkey 1 to be very useful.

5 minutes ago, Terribad said:

I'm actually super curious what other people do. With 15 inventory slots and 8 packpack slots it's arranged like this:

1. Weapon/cane -swapped

2. Helmet/Headgear swapped.

3. Lantern.

4. Chest armor.

5-10. Free slots for gathering

11. Life-giving amulet

12. Magiluminesce. 

13. Stack of food.

14. Stack of Glommer goop

15. Stack of Nightmare fuel

Backpack (crafting supplies) 

B1. Stack of Silk

B2. Stack of pigskin

B3. Stack of twigs

B4. Stack of grass

B5. Stack of wood

B6. Stack of gold

B7. Stack of stone

B8. Stack of Flint

After making a krampus sack I add rope, nitre, reeds, and paper to my crafting sack.

The only disadvantage I've found to this is that a frog will knock out my weapon/cane first. That's about it. I could fix it by moving my nightmare fuel to that side of my inventory. But using WASD to move I prefer hotkey 1 to be very useful.

that sure is a lot of items, are you sure that's practical?

Lol, I'm absolutely 100% sure it's not practical!

But I've trained myself to be a very focused and organized gatherer/builder, which helped my gameplay a ton, even if I do a bad job of leaving myself free inventory.

Here's my personal arrangement, taken from one of my current games. It's not entirely 100% organized, since I'm still holding onto some extra stuff, but it should give you a good idea on how I handle things.

Capture.thumb.PNG.00ad4c729e8f97dc24b26c382820ee6d.PNG

I keep my basic supplies on my person instead of my backpack, mainly for the case of emergency torches. You can't really craft those if you've dropped your backpack for armor and whatnot. Plus, frogs become a lot easier to run from, since the stuff you're gonna drop can be easily replenished anyway.

Usually, I use my backpack for the miscellaneous loot I get while exploring. Stuff you wouldn't exactly require in every day-to-day survival. Turf, gears, gems, dug up plants; all the sorts of things you usually drop off at base.   

Oh, and I just put tools there because it's closest to the slot. Ineffective? Maybe. But hey, it looks nice, yeah?

first slot, chester eyebone. Then, fom left to right, grass, twigs, flints, wood then food. Weapons/equipment.

In the bag pack : tools

In Chester : evreything i use only occasionnaly (mandraks, gols, fish rod...).

for me, backpack: twigs, grass, any important item (rocks, gold, flint, late-game stuff etc.), unused weapons, lantern

inventory slots: food, thermal, any item that is less important or going to be used (like manure, rot, charcoal etc.), weapons

i have a 3k day world . i use krampus sack and orgenize my sack like below ...

2lantern.1minerhat.1moggle- i just put one of my lantern in inventory , the others i put in my sack.

1 torch- in backpack just for winter and making fire.

1 dark sword and footbalhelmet in inventory.

5 honey poultice.

stack of honey.

bundling wraps and ropes.

cane

beefalo hat

eyeberella

beefalo hat + eyebrella + luxury fan in inventory

and
the others are free slots.

From left to right: Twigs, Grass, flint, logs, then some empty spaces and on the right side tools n stuff.

Small amounts of food in the backpack so it doesn't get wet in case it rains and I don't have rain prot on me.

I usually swap tools with my mouse anyways, and the twigs and grass will be stolen by frogs instead of my tools and weapons and therefore protect my weapons from being stolen in case of frogs.

Weapon(if I don't have one than grass) -> grass -> twigs then a walking cane in handslot that can be swapped out for a weapon

I also always keep a football helmet and pigskin in my backpack and some logs and Flint somewhere in my inventory

Arrangement tips i usually fail to apply as i'm a messy person who usually does not go with specific arrangements:

- Place meats in your bag so as to prevent them from being eaten

- place life amulets on your person and not in a back

- place stacked items or items which you wont use in Chester

And anything goes from there.

This is what i usually do:

1. Logs

2. Grass

3. Twigs

4. Golden shovel

5. Golden pickaxe

6. Golden axe

7. Thermal stone (in winter and spring)

7-8. Food

9-14. Left open for collecting

15. Honey poultices

Bottom two slots in my backpack hold my lantern and miner hat, above that is my weapon and chest armor

It partly depends on the day count, but...I more or less follow this system to the letter (well number in this case hahAH).
The early food organization is based on farthest expiration to soonest. I try and get enough to stock a fridge early on so that I can focus on other stuff.
Crafting material organization is based on type (organic or mineral), then density/rarity. In single line format this is a gradient, in double line it's a side by side increase.
Shovel slot receives the gold early because it isn't occupied until the gold is used, which is the same time that a backpack is made.
Some adjustments can be made if the situation warrants it (IE sick loot), but the system is still followed as much as possible.

Empty slots are of course for loot, but often the loot still follows some organization, at least going near similar items. IE, usually the backpack slot below Logs holds organics like planks or manure, while the slot below Gold holds mineral items like Cut Stone or Nitre, and farmed Ice/Mushrooms tend to go next to the other food.

Sometimes I do travel light and leave some things behind, but often space doesn't seem to be an issue despite my nomadic tendencies. Even early on, space ends up getting saved with the precrafting of structures. Chester and Hutch are welcome for real stocking trips, though.

1. Seeds
  2. Hunger Dish (Early: Carrots)
  3. Healing Food (Early: Berries)
  4. Empty (Early: Butterfly Wings)
  5. Empty (Early: Character Item/Meat/Mushrooms)
  6. Walking Cane (Early: Grass)
  7. Ice Staff/Telelocator Staff/Pan Flute (Early: Twigs)
  8. Empty (Early: Logs)
  9. Hat (Early: Flint)
  10. Armor (Early: Stone)
  11. Light Item, usually Torch or Lantern
  12. Melee Weapon (Early: Gold if I'm feeling miney)
  13. Axe
  14. Pickaxe
  15. Shovel (Early: Gold)

Backpack:

• Grass                                              | Rocks
  • Twigs                                               | Flint
  • Logs                                                | Gold
  • Empty/Lightbulbs/Codex Umbra      | Empty/Nightmare Fuel

this is my religion

Mostly i just shove regular, daily materials into my inventory.

1-5, basic materials.

6-10, food items.

11-15, character-specific items and tools.

backpack is normally filled with saplings, ruins loot, resources or materials from whatever task i'm doing at the time.

Archived