Hamlet Housing in DST ?

It sure would be a dream come true! Making houses in Hamlet is super fun, but seems pretty lonely with no one to roam about it with you. I'd love to build a house with friends that ends up like a maze!

its my dream to have a home in dst. especially when its raining. but not exacly like hamlet.

i prefer to do it like a project, set the base and keep adding resources.like 1k logs and 500 stone. something like that :D

Unpopular opinion here, I hope they don't.

Hamlet works differently than DST at its core: It's more of an adventure game, with the survival aspect strongly reduced in favor of other cool aspects like housing, formal trading, formal jobs, and citybuilding. DST is more survival and sandbox oriented.

I would like tiny bits of hamlet ported over though, like that we get to interact with other civilizations, like we do with pig civilization of hamlet, although in DST it doesnt have to be pigs, it could be something else. The interaction with this civilization would be more than what currently exists on DST, of just befriending a few pigs to go chop trees, or befriending a few bunnymen to make them kill eachother. Trading could be a cool thing to have as well.

With the new islands feature I guess we could get something like that in a harder to reach further island. 

1 minute ago, ShadowDuelist said:

Unpopular opinion here, I hope they don't.

You wrote the words I was too anxious to write. Let's retreat now, as I can hear people coming with pitchfork and  Pew-matic Horn ! :cower:

if they were going to add it they should make it a lot more costly then hamlet's and make it a community building project like the Portal Paraphernalia, it should also be unbuildable until like year 2 or so, so people can't just rush it.
but of course like others have said hamlet wasn't built in mind with survival so the house would be a little out of place but I do think they could work it into DST if they make it probably the most costly building there is.

I hope they don't.

Housing is what makes Hamlet special, and just porting it would take away it's charm.

I'd also like to note that the Engines are vastly different, and porting housing would certainly break, and they'd have to rewrite or make everything all over again.

Also, how would it even work in a multiplayer setting, what if it's destroyed while you're in it? 

I have more time, I will explain my mind.

What I dislike in the idea of Hamlet-like-houses coming in Together is that it is currently a very individual feature that has no place in a multiplayer game. Everybody will rush its house, with its chests, its kitchen, its decoration and make an individual micro world while being on a multiplayer game. People might spend time in their house, being active or idling as currently nothing can harm you in a house apart hunger, thus not being anymore on the map causing some deep feeling of loneliness to the few people outside. Also, I would find the game in a very sad state if the servers happened to look like deserted towns, with lot of houses side by side, mostly of people that won't come back on the server.

If the house ever come in Together, I would it to be made like they revamp the ship feature from Shipwrecked. A feature at least multiplayer friendly. Something like only a house per server, without rooms and that would be more like an upper floor. So, people could actually have their housing spot with house like decorations, and mostly transparent walls as I feel like being visible from everybody would be really important.

However, I still feel like the whole "the house is invulnerable to everything, just stay inside and live happily with no worries" thing in Hamlet is ridiculous. Giants should smash you out of the house, and you shouldn't have a bonus sanity inside. Instead of buffing the house, some mechanics should nerf it, making it more balanced in a survival game.

I think the houses are the only thing i don't really want in DST. 

I love them, for sure, but it changes how you play the game at a fundamental level. Hamlet is a DLC and is a separated world in vanilla (that you don't necessarily have to visit), but if houses get added to DST, they will become the core of the entire game, and i don't like that. 

I would REALLY like that EVERY DS character got ported to DST. In my opinion DST should be the reunion of every single released character (ecept Wagstaff, for obvious reasons). 

Warly gives me hopes,and the sea makes me think of Walani, with obvious revamps (crossing fingers). 

Truth to be told that housing seems as not ideal for a pvp/survival server. Although i adore that the game gives access to a variety of playstyles[social,roleplaying] and at the end of the day i would really like to make hamlets/towns around my map with a friend.

I would propose that if you want access to building town structures ,you must defeat a boss. The corresponding boss gives access to a new tab, that will be the 'town/hamlet structure' tab.

For those who scorn the use of such structures a server/world generation option could solve the problem.

"Let's not ban the use of hammer because somebody died from a misuse of it."

I think housing would need to be massively re-balanced for the context of DST. 

Houses are pretty overpowered in Hamlet on their own. They are basically pocket dimensions you can enter and put everything inside of (they quite literally take you somewhere outside the map). One house can have an unlimited amount of rooms, can restore your sanity, avoid rain, slow down overheating, and make you completely safe from the outside world. This becomes more evident when you eventually start building houses in RoG or Shipwrecked, where houses are never even in mind for their mechanics. There are probably technical issues too. How do you handle multiple players in multiple rooms for example?

But, if it were to be balanced somehow, it would most likely improve the late game and make things less chaotic if people have a place to just put their own stuff. But they should definitely be a late game things, and need to be earned.

1 hour ago, SinancoTheBest said:

They said Shipwrecked content would NEVER come, they were wrong. So there is no definitive NO for that

First off, I don't think they ever said never. Most I've heard is "no current plans". Left open for a reason.

Second, we didn't get Shipwrecked content. We got water and boats with different mechanics from Shipwrecked. 

4 hours ago, SinancoTheBest said:

They said Shipwrecked content would NEVER come, they were wrong. So there is no definitive NO for that

What Zeklo said.

Everything that's new here is actually, full on, new.
Nothing aside from the water ripples, and oar were taken from SW.

So technically, there is no SW content here, aside from the ocean concept.

2 hours ago, -Variant said:

So technically, there is no SW content here, aside from the ocean concept.

i don't think the "ocean" concept is new either.. the DS world was and DST for that matter were created as continental masses and we have always seen the ocean out there. The only difference is that we can now set sail and explore it.. but the original water mass was already there, just SW implemented differently as a tropical experience and now DST as the next logical step to expand the dst world

1 hour ago, FreyaMaluk said:

i don't think the "ocean" concept is new either..

I never said it was new. 
The sailing bit is new to DST, but not DS in it's entirety. 

Sailing as a concept was furnished before Wilson himself was even finalized, the water having a part in the game certainly isn't new.

Archived