spooky bosses  

129 members have voted

1. 1. What is your scariest boss? (not hardest, scariest)

• Deerclops
    • Bearger
    • Goose/Goose
    • Bee Queen
    • Antlion
    • Treeguard
    • Ancient Guardian
    • Fuelweaver
    • Dragonfly
    • Klaus
    • Toadstool
    • Spider Queen
    • Shadow Pieces
    • Varg
    • Misery Toadstool
    • Wes

I've been curious about this for a while. For me, the scariest boss is Deerclops, even though he's the easiest. He comes at night during winter when your trying not to freeze, and he destroys half my base before I figure out what side of the screen he spawned on. On my old world, he arrives earlier and earlier every winter, so I'm never prepared.

Sidenote: I finally found the tentacle to the Atrium and killed the Fuelweaver for my first time! yay

I've now killed every boss in the game! (besides misery toadstool :( )

At the level of lore the shadows I think they should be the scariest things: they are literally the physical manifestation of madness and horror, the fear of something that materializes in itself.
And I think the most horrifying shadow is the Ancient Fuelweaver, which is an exoskeleton with a beating heart between the ribs and made of the same essence as nightmares.
One of his attacks is literally your meninges that explode, with the blinded person who can't do anything but hold his head in a grimace of pain and disgust.

Why has nobody said Treeguard?  The one boss you don’t expect to see (besides bearger, and he’s not that scary) and they come from trees of all things, the last place a beginner would expect to find a boss fight.  Definitely the Treeguard, the one boss that can truly scare you.  

I wonder why did you add our poor Wes to this monsterous list. It's like asking for not reliable answers.

Although I think that those bosses don't stand a chance against our mighty mime, they are all way more scarier then him. Cause you know - he's always adorable even in his Halloween costume.

I personally don't like Fuelweaver at all. His looks makes me uncomfortable, his way of moving, his sounds, even his name. All about him is creepy.

39 minutes ago, Unn0ticedShadow said:

Why has nobody said Treeguard?  The one boss you don’t expect to see (besides bearger, and he’s not that scary) and they come from trees of all things, the last place a beginner would expect to find a boss fight.  Definitely the Treeguard, the one boss that can truly scare you.  

despite having the "epic" tag, treeguards never felt like a boss to me. Just a big tanky annoyance.

Deerclops definitely.

No other boss made me as scared as that first playthrough when your just sitting at a firepit, blissfully unaware of what is about to happen,when suddenly the screen starts shaking and then he destroys your base and you try to attack him and your dead.

I'm understand scary as in appearance. So correct me if I'm wrong.
I've always found Klaus creepy. None of scary, but he creeps me out, with his missing and stitched up eye.
I was very uncomfortable around him, but I've grown to love him now.

Bearger is the scariest for me for two reasons.

1. His yawn is pretty dangerous. I don't like being immobile with a giant lumbering around.

2. He rampages if he gets caught on fire. It's pretty alarming but I don't know how deadly it is. I just back off and wait until it is over. I remember in the single player Don't Starve that he would rampage if you got too far away him. Although he would usually run past me, get too far away again, and continue to rampage. It was like a Ancient Guardian that had no cool-down on its charge attack. I think that was fixed eventually, but it was pretty scary at the time.

Not that I've ever fought him in person, but I think that the fact that the Ancient Fuelweaver talks to you during his fight is awfully unnerving, and the implications of the things he says only make it worse. Especially the fact that he believes that killing the survivers is a mercy and the right thing to do as opposed to allowing them to continue meddling in horrible forces of "them".

5 hours ago, Angel_Octoling said:

I'm understand scary as in appearance. So correct me if I'm wrong.
I've always found Klaus creepy. None of scary, but he creeps me out, with his missing and stitched up eye.
I was very uncomfortable around him, but I've grown to love him now.

i find the fact they still cover it when sleeping odd like it still thinks its eye is there does it know its gone?

is it powerful enough to not notice that it can't see?

Scary LOOKING, Klaus (he has a mouth on his stomach.  He has a MOUTH on his STOMACH!!)  and Fuelweaver, sure. In terms of actually creeping me out as a _player_, however, the ones that can sneak up on you or suddenly --just spawn!-- are the creepiest.  I mean, sure, I'm not fond of the Toadstool, Fuelweaver, Dragonfly, etc. but they pretty much stay where they are and don't track you down.  (The Antlion sends out its ATTACKS to track you down, but the creature itself stays where it is, the lazy sod.)  The Varg (and Ewecus, which is way worse--hey, you missed one!) _can_ surprise you if you hunt often...but what if you don't?   And you have to set up things on purpose to fight the shadow pieces, _choose_ to whack the Bee Queen's hive, etc.

So, for the very most make-me-jump-out-of-my-skin _creepiest_, the award goes to:

DEERCLOPS!  I swear to god, even when I'm ready for it that HHHHUUUUUUHHHHHH heavy breathing in the night just makes me (shudders and does the "ick no get it away from me" hand gestures). The fact that it heralds a LOT of trouble, maybe even a whole-world reset if you hear it too close to your base, _and_ that it always happens in the freaking dead of night, doesn't help.  After that...

--Not a true boss, but treeguards.  Why?  Again, can-happen-at-any-time jumpscare value.  Wood is a regularly-needed resource and treeguards can spawn _any_ time you're chopping!  And you never know.  Heck, some less knowledgeable Let's Players have actually developed _superstitions_ about when they will or won't spawn--to this day, Jacksepticeye still seems to think that chopping trees at dusk makes it more likely, for example.  They don't do this for the ones who CAN legit only spawn at certain set times, just the anytime creatures.

--Bearger's up there too, as he only shows up once a year and I rarely even _hear_ his roars/growls/whatever they are--I usually only know he's there when the ground starts shaking, which means you have far less warning.  He's only SOMETIMES as smashy as the Deerclops, however, and left to his own devices will usually only smash things that have food or food ingredients in them, not _everything_.  Bearger can also be made to only bug you for _one_ fall, as if you let him fall peacefully asleep somewhere harmless, _he doesn't respawn next year_! Whereas Deerclops is gonna be a problem EVERY winter.

HONOURABLE MENTION TO:  Antlion for attacking you from a distance and even when you can't move properly, such as in the sandstorm.

NOT QUALIFIED, BUT:  _Original_-flavour Dragonfly, for being able to sneak up on you in singleplayer WITHOUT any warning ground-shaking and then _also_ destroy all your stuff.  And when it comes to sheer destructive power in this game, fire beats smashing any time.  Smashing doesn't SPREAD.

...Notorious

1 hour ago, CaptainChaotica said:

DEERCLOPS!  I swear to god, even when I'm ready for it that HHHHUUUUUUHHHHHH heavy breathing in the night just makes me (shudders and does the "ick no get it away from me" hand gestures). The fact that it heralds a LOT of trouble, maybe even a whole-world reset if you hear it too close to your base, _and_ that it always happens in the freaking dead of night, doesn't help

I agree that on a meta level, the Deerclops is hands down the thing I fear most in this game. It doesn't matter if I died and can resurrect, survived the encounter, or even if I take him down,  that one eyed mother still wins if he managed to destroy even half of my camp because I'll have lost the will to go on and reset the world anyways. And that's his main goal. When he shows up, he's not there to kill you. Of course he'll try if you get in his way, but that's not what he's really after. He's not even that hard to kill either, there's just so little you can do to reduce the risk of collateral damage when fighting him near your camp. Thankfully, when I can I trick him into coming for a decoy camp that consists of nothing but a campfire and a sign with a long list of profanities aimed at him. But the worst thing that he can do?

Not show up at all

I heard the growls, I saw my character's warning, but then? Nothing. No Deerclops, no screen shaking footsteps, nothing. I know that he's somewhere, but just not here. I could go out and look for him, but what if he finds my camp when I'm not there?!

Paranoia just goes through the roof man...

On 11/04/2019 at 2:03 PM, Ridley said:

Bearger is the scariest for me for two reasons.

1. His yawn is pretty dangerous. I don't like being immobile with a giant lumbering around.

2. He rampages if he gets caught on fire. It's pretty alarming but I don't know how deadly it is. I just back off and wait until it is over. I remember in the single player Don't Starve that he would rampage if you got too far away him. Although he would usually run past me, get too far away again, and continue to rampage. It was like a Ancient Guardian that had no cool-down on its charge attack. I think that was fixed eventually, but it was pretty scary at the time.

I believe bear's rampage is completely disabled in DST. It just so happens that his burn behavior forces using this set of anims, but is entirely cosmetical.

it's the only way people like me who haven't experienced DS bear can see those anims

Deerclops is a bully, plain and simple. I think that's the main reason I don't like him--he's pretty much just a scaled-up version of the playground a-hole playing keep-a-way with your lunch and shoving your face in the mud because he can.  I think the best thing to come out of the Deerclops was one weird running gag* in a Let's Play I saw long ago, but that's about it.

He's way more manageable if you're playing alone, though.  (I mean, if your goal is to simply keep him from destroying the camp, not if your goal is to kill him.)  With only one person you don't have to worry if just that ONE GUY happened to go back to get something at the wrong moment, or didn't hear the warning, or didn't care, or is there on purpose to be a griefer, etc.  But with just me, I can steer him into a pile o' killer bees or right up to the Dragonfly or such, and I have.  Both of those.  They were fun.  :D

I'd say The Spring Giant (whom this forum WON'T LET ME NAME PROPERLY, ARGH WHAT IS WITH THAT IT'S NOT THAT FUNNY A GAG) is the _least_ scary boss...because she's the most _useful_.  I often use the nearest one of those as my hound-disposal service all spring.  :)

...Notorious

*(sings. melodramatically)  "I CAME IN LIKE A DEEER-CLOOPS..."

The Shadow Knight, Tier 3.

Just look at his face. Also you basically can't run from him when he's in that state, and his persistence of chasing you is also quite scary. He's going to chase you forever and his aggro refreshes every time he hits you.

I think that almost all of the bosses aren't very scary from a design standpoint. Sure they can come out of nowhere, or are incredibly powerful. But out of all the bosses, if I had to look on in the face the one that most quickly dissipate my courage are the shadow pieces. The way they move and attack is more than inhuman or unnatural it's just wrong. Their horrid faces melted into gross positions as they hunt you relentlessly. Shadow pieces by a mile.

Archived