New printing pod feature

How to balance the new feature ?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. When should a resource become available ?

• Every things is always unlocked (more randomness, but chance for "unbalanced" outcomes)
    • After the first discovery (No more steel cycle 3 ...)
    • After "sacrificing" some of it to the printing pod (still some need to rush so no critter goes extinct)
    • Resources all the time, but critters just after you tamed one
    • Resources with some restrictions and critter after you tamed one
    • Unlocked by discovering lore buildings
    • Learned from space artifacts (Late game "peace of mind" without the early game help)
    • After completing a specific research
  2. 2. What should be available to print ?

• All resources and all critters
    • All resources (including eggs) but no critters
    • Just unrefined resources (No glass,lime,steel,gold ....)
    • Just critters and seeds (Tune it down to a "peace of mind feature" so nothing goes extinct)
    • All resources including space materials and all critters
  3. 3. Should there be additional restrictions ?

• No
    • You will not see a offered resource again for "x" cycles
    • You will not see a printed resource again for "x" cycles
    • The amount available is based on the last time you printed the resource (5kg cycle 3 and goes up by maybe 5kg each time the pod is recharged)
    • The current cycle number is used to unlock more advanced options.
    • Chances to be offered based on "the value" of a resource(Critters should be a "rare" find ... or something like that)
    • Resources should be given out with a delay (Takes "x" cycle form selection to shipping)
    • Amount based on the duplicant count (4t ice every 3 cycles with 3 duplicants is all the water you could wish for...)

1 minute ago, Craigjw said:

I don't understand?

When you make a new save, one of the options should be "Print resources with Printing pod", so if you don't want it to do that, you can disable it and get 3 duplicants instead like we used. 

23 minutes ago, Alfons100 said:

When you make a new save, one of the options should be "Print resources with Printing pod", so if you don't want it to do that, you can disable it and get 3 duplicants instead like we used. 

That sounds even more cheaty than reloading a save game time and time again, just to get a dupe with better stats.  I see that printing anything from the printing pod could be abused, to the extent of repeated reloading until the resource you want is finally available.

I wouldn't mind a re-shuffle available on the printing pod for dupes, but items really should be hard saved when it's ready to prevent this from happening.

2 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

That sounds even more cheaty than reloading a save game time and time again, just to get a dupe with better stats.  I see that printing anything from the printing pod could be abused, to the extent of repeated reloading until the resource you want is finally available.

I wouldn't mind a re-shuffle available on the printing pod for dupes, but items really should be hard saved when it's ready to prevent this from happening.

Wait nonono, (ugh I suck at explaining this simple thing) if you simply want to play without the Printer being able to print resources, you should be able to disable it when making a new game, then the printer will work like it used to.

1 minute ago, Craigjw said:

I understand, however, the whole printing items thing, if they are randomized at each load, still provide a means for abuse.

I mean...  that's not what anyone was talking about, but....  How is that any different from what we can already do on the live branch, where you save before the Printer Pod is ready, and then save-scum the Dupes it offers you for "perfect" Dupes?

I would like that "feature" removed, and would like the new non-Dupe items to similarly be unable to save-scum.

I think "save-scumming" isn´t a real issue in a singleplayer game (if you add in the load times of a bigger base it gets even less attractive).

Like with most "exploity" mechanics it´s more about if you want to abuse them or not.

For me the biggest benefit of the new feature is just having the "peace of mind" that I don´t have to save (all) wild critters as fast as possible to prevent them from dieing or even going extinct.

But to get 8 pacus or 500kg lime offered at once seems a bit overkill.

500kg plastic (or to a lesser extent steel) early is a huge game changer, just for building high pressure vents^^

IMO - make materials available only after they have been "discovered" and it eliminates most of the issues. Being able to print 500kg of plastic/glass/steel after it have been already produced is not a big deal. And the same for critters/plants to avoid anomalies like cycle 3 slickster. Then some resource amounts obviously need tweaking, 500kg of lime is ridiculous.

Other than that IMO it is fine without any additional restrictions.

Perhaps the pod printing numbers will evolve.

My gripe is that living resources don't have a means to open the codex to view info on them while having the pod menu open. This is just a minor inconvenience.

Newbs might assume that you have to make a choice once you open it for viewing.

printing metal is a bit strange,but thing like lime etc is non organic too,most critter is like magic creature ,so...I dun know how to define a make sense printable table lol

1 hour ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

I think "save-scumming" isn´t a real issue in a singleplayer game (if you add in the load times of a bigger base it gets even less attractive).

Like with most "exploity" mechanics it´s more about if you want to abuse them or not.

For me the biggest benefit of the new feature is just having the "peace of mind" that I don´t have to save (all) wild critters as fast as possible to prevent them from dieing or even going extinct.

But to get 8 pacus or 500kg lime offered at once seems a bit overkill.

500kg plastic (or to a lesser extent steel) early is a huge game changer, just for building high pressure vents^^

very well said,
I think the print pod could upgrade-able for some more advantage stuff like wort or critter,it should give dirt etc simple material early
and 500kg is not much consider you wasted a dupe early game mean a lot for fast expanding,late game 500kg is nothing

1. When should a resource become available ?  It feels somewhat gratuitous that everything is available from the very beginning. But there can be more than one way to unlock new ressources. In the case of submitted samples ; I also think that all critters and seeds should be retrievable from space so that if someone misses their chance with the pod, they can still bring back an extinct critter.

2.  What should be available to print ?  Objects made of genetic ooze, and maybe organic ressources like fossils, slime, algae and polluted dirt. 

3. Should there be additional restrictions ?  Frankly, what I dislike is the randomness. I wished that the pod ability progression would be more structured and that the player would have a hand in choosing whatever they want to print next. Any restriction necessary to balance the pod is fine for me. I thought the delay restriction would make sense because of the time needed for the pod to synthesize new ooze.

I agree that the pod should be only able to print organic resources. It doesn`t make sense for it to print steel or water (how do you print water?).

I think it should be divided into 4 cathegories: Dupes, food, critters/plants, resources.

There should always be a dupe available for printing. Best having 3 of them and an opton to choose something else. I think for the first 20-30 cycles you should only be able to print dupes.

Food should be probably only the nutrients bars as a last resort to save them from starving, maybe a chance for something better but low quantity. Generally the food is made by dupes so the pod shouldn`t have blueprints of normal food.

Critters should be all printable but maybe you should get more options as time goes by. Starting with the hatches and shinebugs and then getting more (no moos allowed). Actually getting a slickster at cycle 3 isn`t really useful as it just poops oil everywhere and you can`t do anything with it yet, plus it will most likely change into a longhair morph next generation anyway.

Resorces shouuld be limited to slime algae and dirt imo. Those are the only ones that are hard to sustain. Just let the pod generate a half ton of slime every 3 cycles and we could survive endlessly on mushroom (now if only we could automate that).

10 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Does it mean you like the chance for something advaned to appear early, like a slickster on cycle 3 or refined metals without any downside ?

(Would render the rock crusher for metals a bit obsolete and we don´t want to talk about smooth hatches. This eliminates a couple challenges of the early game.)

Right now the printing pod makes cargo rockets feel useless and slow.

Just want to clarify what you like about the current system.

The issue with your complaint is that it is still based on luck: yes you can hit the lucky number and roll 500kg of lime. You can also roll 500kg of igneous rock and lament your bad luck.

Just now, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

yes you can hit the lucky number and roll 500kg of lime

well, I did not hit the lucky 500kg lime when I "save scummed" for about 100 times to actually get a list of what is currently printable (not quite sure why none is here, it is always best to base suggestions on as much "base" as possible. Changes are easier than making something from scratch)

Current List, there may be more:

Spoiler
  • 3000 kg Coal (-41°C)
  • 3000 kg Sand (-31°C)
  • 2000 kg Clean Water (Bottle, 9°C)
  • 500 kg Algae (16.9°C)
  • 100 kg Oxylite (-31°C)
  • 4800 kcal Muckroot
  • 4000 kcal Nutrient Bar
  • 3 Vitamin Chews
  • 1 Snazzy Suit
  • 1 Shine Nymph
  • 3 Shine Nymph Egg
  • 1 Puftlet
  • 3 Puftlet Egg
  • 1 Hatchling
  • 3 Hatchling Egg
  • 1 Drecklet
  • 3 Drecklet Egg
  • 3 Briar Seed
  • 3 Joya Seed
  • 3 Mirth Leaf Seed
  • 2 Blossom Seed
  • 1 Fungal Spore
  • 1 Wort Seed

+500 kg Lime, apparently, likely to be removed or changed to fossil

My opinion on the feature: Very neat

My opinion on the possibility of save "scumming": I don't care

My opinion on the contents of the feature: Mostly fair, albeit cool Coal, Oxylite and Sand being a bit weird. 500 kg lime could not be not a mistake.

What myself like to see added: 100-200 kg raw metal, there is little point in arguing about how immersive it would be to be able to print metal when obviously "Genetic Ooze" is much more complicated to build than something pure (and stable), since after all, we need minerals, iron, copper and zinc, why shouldn't dupes?

Hello.

I'm new here and kinda noob in the game even with near 300h put on it.

As a noob I loved the new features regarding the printing pod.

I am totally aware it can be game breaking for the veterans around capable to build godly stuff easily...

Just dropping a point of view from someone much less talented  and crushed by extinction, bad planning and low resources constantly. :)

I like the idea of finding new blueprints for better stuff in some of the otherwise useless POIs, the ones that have computers especially. This especially goes for plastic as that indeed can be game-changing in small amounts, for high pressure vents and small pumps.  Plant seeds not until you have obtained an example of one of the seeds.  Animals perhaps not until you have tamed one.   Otherwise you get them from the gravitas facility, if you didn't get them before then.  Space materials should remain space materials only imo.

58 minutes ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

This should indeed be prevented. A possible solution is locking the next 1 to 5 rolls on the save file.

An easier solution would be to generate the next results when the selection is made.

Sure you could still save scum, but you'd be losing a lot of progress.

Just now, Yunru said:

An easier solution would be to generate the next results when the selection is made.

Sure you could still save scum, but you'd be losing a lot of progress.

That's basically what I suggested. You make a choice, and it will lock in the next choice (or more, if you want to make it completely unworthwhile).

Archived