New printing pod feature

How to balance the new feature ?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. When should a resource become available ?

• Every things is always unlocked (more randomness, but chance for "unbalanced" outcomes)
    • After the first discovery (No more steel cycle 3 ...)
    • After "sacrificing" some of it to the printing pod (still some need to rush so no critter goes extinct)
    • Resources all the time, but critters just after you tamed one
    • Resources with some restrictions and critter after you tamed one
    • Unlocked by discovering lore buildings
    • Learned from space artifacts (Late game "peace of mind" without the early game help)
    • After completing a specific research
  2. 2. What should be available to print ?

• All resources and all critters
    • All resources (including eggs) but no critters
    • Just unrefined resources (No glass,lime,steel,gold ....)
    • Just critters and seeds (Tune it down to a "peace of mind feature" so nothing goes extinct)
    • All resources including space materials and all critters
  3. 3. Should there be additional restrictions ?

• No
    • You will not see a offered resource again for "x" cycles
    • You will not see a printed resource again for "x" cycles
    • The amount available is based on the last time you printed the resource (5kg cycle 3 and goes up by maybe 5kg each time the pod is recharged)
    • The current cycle number is used to unlock more advanced options.
    • Chances to be offered based on "the value" of a resource(Critters should be a "rare" find ... or something like that)
    • Resources should be given out with a delay (Takes "x" cycle form selection to shipping)
    • Amount based on the duplicant count (4t ice every 3 cycles with 3 duplicants is all the water you could wish for...)

7 hours ago, Craigjw said:

I understand, however, the whole printing items thing, if they are randomized at each load, still provide a means for abuse.

It's a single player game and people can spawn anything they want in unlimited quantities via debug or sandbox mode if they wish to do so.  I don't see why this is a problem.

1 hour ago, goboking said:

I don't see why this is a problem.

It feels like an elitist mentality. "Did such and such before easy mode was forced on everyone." usually phrased as "this makes the game too easy" Or some such BS.

If anyone has a different reasoning behind this, please, I'm all ears.

14 minutes ago, ishakaru said:

It feels like an elitist mentality. "Did such and such before easy mode was forced on everyone." usually phrased as "this makes the game too easy" Or some such BS.

If anyone has a different reasoning behind this, please, I'm all ears.

Your reasoning here is unusual and difficult to find the context to which it is directed since you cherry picked part of a reply. What exactly are you referring to as an elitist mentality here? Not having a problem with it printing whatever - or something else?

This isn't the first time I've seen where the developers(other than klei) introduced a new feature that made some aspects of the game easier. With the exact same reaction some people have here. 

People have the choice to use it, or not use it. But because some people can use it, it's a huge problem. This idea is absurd to me. 

Now I feel moved to point out to everybody (again), that this is a game, not an examination or any such thing. Anybody can play however they like and in particular this new feature can easily be ignored. Anybody that feels like bragging how great they are doing may just be misunderstanding the context here. Now, if some people actually feel like doing a contest with strict rules and the like, that may be different, but in that case please remember that Klei may just have different goals from you and it still is their game.

1 minute ago, ishakaru said:

People have the choice to use it, or not use it. But because some people can use it, it's a huge problem. This idea is absurd to me. 

It is like some people are lacking challenges in real life and then seek them here. Nothing wrong with that, unless they start to try to enforce _their_ rules on others. At that point it gets absurd and also unacceptable. 

Personally, I am playing ONI to have fun, nothing else. Anybody that has a problem with that has indeed a problem.

Anyone mention the situation where you get your dream team dupe and 500Kg of plastic or steel on the same selection screen?... or some similar situation. For those of us who like to avoid reloading the game for free spins on the random printing wheel, this is going to be a nice twist of fate, and additional angle to decision making that affects gameplay.

Wasting development time on making "Care Packages" seeded is, well, a waste of development time. While even in some SP games save scumming should be prevented, this is not one of them. SP games which need to prevent save scumming are those which gate content/have a progression system and it is to protect the player from themselves since save scumming can become an addiction. ONI does not have that where one scums themselves into a level where they have to scum further.

In any event, due to the update, I guess I will now have to look into the files to make a new list, brb, probably, if I can find it.

Edit: I did...and it was the old list first (should have updated first, tehe~), now I know why I could not get lime at least.

Spoiler
  • Oxylite 100 kg
  • Algae 500 kg
  • Water 2000 kg
  • Ice 4000 kg (12)
  • Coal 3000 kg 
  • Sand 3000 kg
  • Copper Ore 3000 kg (12)
  • Lime 500 kg (12)
  • Steel 500 kg (12)
  • 3 Flower Seeds (Bluff Briar or Mirth Leaf or Jumping Joya)
  • 1 Mushroom Seed
  • 2 Blossom Seeds
  • 1 Wheezeworth Seed
  • 5 kg Nutrient Bars (4000 kcal)
  • 6 kg Muckroot (4800 kcal)
  • 3 kg BBQ (12)
  • 1 Baby Critter (Nymph, Hatchling, Drecko, Mole (12), Puft, Slickster (12))
  • 8 Pacu (12)
  • 3 Eggs (Nymph, Hatchling, Drecko, Mole (12), Puft, Slickster (12))
  • 3 Vitamin Supplement
  • 1 Snazzy Suit

Note, Coal was named Carbon, Copper was named as Cuprite, luckily I could find the strings. (12) stands for some delay i.e 12 cycles

the new config is now a tad bigger:

Spoiler
  • Sandstone 1000 kg (new!)
  • Dirt 500 kg (new!)
  • Algae 500 kg (no change)
  • Oxylite 100 kg (no change)
  • Water 2000 kg (no change)
  • Sand 3000 kg (no change)
  • Coal 3000 kg (no change)
  • Fertilizer 3000 kg (new!)
  • Ice 4000 kg, Cycle 12 (no change)
  • Copper 2000 kg, Cycle 12, needs to be discovered (-1000 kg, discovery condition) 
  • Gold Amalgam 2000 kg, Cycle 12, needs to be discovered (new!)
  • Refined Copper 400 kg, Cycle 24, needs to be discovered (new!)
  • Refined Iron 400 kg, Cycle 24, needs to be discovered (new!)
  • Lime 150 kg, Cycle 48, needs to be discovered (-350 kg, discovery condition)
  • Plastic 500 kg, Cycle 48, needs to be discovered (new!)
  • Glass 200 kg, Cycle 48, needs to be discovered (new!)
  • Steel 100 kg, Cycle 48, needs to be discovered (-400kg, discovery condition)
  • 3 Flower Seeds (Bluff Briar or Mirth Leaf or Jumping Joya) (no change)
  • 1 Mushroom Seed (no change)
  • 2 Blossom Seeds (no change)
  • 1 Wheezeworth Seed, Cycle 24 (cycle condition) 
  • 5 kg Nutrient Bars (4000 kcal) (no change)
  • 6 kg Muckroot (4800 kcal) (no change)
  • 3 kg Omelette, Cycle 6 (new!)
  • 3 kg Bristle Berry, Cycle 12 (new!)
  • 3 kg Fried Mushroom, Cycle 24 (new!)
  • 3 kg BBQ, Cycle 48 (new cycle condition)
  • 1 Baby Critter (Nymph, Hatchling, Drecko (24), Mole (24), Puft, Slickster (12)) (new cycle condition)
  • 8 Pacu, Cycle 24 (new cycle condition)
  • 3 Eggs (Nymph, Hatchling, Drecko (24), Mole (48), Puft, Slickster (48)) (new cycle condition)
  • 3 Vitamin Supplement
  • 1 Snazzy Suit

Do note the odd baby times, one can get a slickster egg much earlier while Drecko and Drecko eggs will be unlocked at the same time.

In spoilers because it is in a way a spoiler anyway but primarily due to the length.

2 hours ago, SakuraKoi said:

SP games which need to prevent save scumming are those which gate content/have a progression system and it is to protect the player from themselves since save scumming can become an addiction. ONI does not have that where one scums themselves into a level where they have to scum further.

Very much agree. If I do some of it because I want a Stinky and a Meep (who would cook otherwise?) is a shot-term affair and not anything that could escalate.

Lime 150 kg, Cycle 48, needs to be discovered (-350 kg, discovery condition)

Does the discovery condition mean I have to reach the specific amount at some point in time ?

(At least in my playstyle I don´t start to produce lime before I have a metal refinery set up to make steel. So having 350kg spare lime at some point in time would just happen if I try to make it happen.)

4 hours ago, Man in the Mist said:

I think it means you have to make Lime at some point before it'll show up on the Printing Pod.

Without reading patch notes or diving into the code, how should a player know that he needs to produce something in a quantity that isn´t necessary gameplay-wise.

For steel it´s 400kg, so if you ever want to build a rocket/bunker door your will be forced to reach that threshold.

Got something wrong when I read the Sakurakoi´s information^^

13 hours ago, ToiDiaeRaRIsuOy said:

This should indeed be prevented. A possible solution is locking the next 1 to 5 rolls on the save file.

Pokemon did something like this in....  was it X/Y/Alpha/Omega or Sun/Moon?  Can't remember.  They changed they way the values for egg creation were handled, in that instead of determining something like the next 10 eggs from the daycare, it's instead the next 100 or something.

Ironically, it also backfired, because while it made save-scumming far less attractive for shiny hunting, it instead created the "Shiny Swap" method, where instead you just breed 3 to 6 boxes of Magikarp at a time (the fastest breeding Pokemon), and mark the positions where Shinies occurred (if any) and then scum back.  Count to that egg, swap the Magikarp for whatever you are actually trying to breed.  Receive Shiny.

3 hours ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

Does the discovery condition mean I have to reach the specific amount at some point in time ?

No, discovery means discovery, nothing more, nothing less. Just make lime once and you may get enough at once to make 1500 kg Steel, if you have 1050 kg Iron and 300 kg Carbon that is.

150 kg is still a lot imho but I ain't complaining, a jackpot is always neat and again, there is no serious need to save scum it for It is not a matter of skill but a matter of time.

Archived