So, any new content when?

Lakurius, show your classmates DST and ask if they want play it :) If they should reach 1st winter they cannot get their money back.

Anyway, I think even Klei workers have holidays and most of them have families and children (summer holidays), I suppose. It can make sense that they work slower now. Have patience.

8 minutes ago, axxel said:

Lakurius, show your classmates DST and ask if they want play it :) If they should reach 1st winter they cannot get their money back.

Anyway, I think even Klei workers have holidays and most of them have families and children (summer holidays), I suppose. It can make sense that they work slower now. Have patience.

Hmm maybe u right

5 minutes ago, Wilson_pl said:

What Would The horn do? You are doing it!

Put it on your head: all the food you eat gives 50% more hunger points, all the jerky/crock pot food you maek with the horn on ur head heals 50% more hp 

Hold it in teh hand slot: stand still for 5 seconds and you dont lose hunger points 

Spoiler

Would be cool for megabases dont flame me PLS DONT : (

Also kan we plz talk about character rebalance and how maxwell needs a nerf since hes the best char i have acquired new knowledge thenks

On 9/5/2018 at 6:26 AM, Corazon said:

I'm starting to get a little bored. Is Klei producing some content in the main story? :wilson_confused:

Edit; Content that isn't just an event.

I feel the need to point out that the "main story" is progressing through the events. The story doesn't progress by playing the base game. The characters are stuck in an endless cycle.

I understand what you probably meant, but as a lore freak I had to put it out there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DST is in a perilous state where adding too much tips the entire balance of the game while adding too little doesn't equate to anything. For example: The "new" bosses (ie. Klaus, Bee Queen, Toadstool) do add new content, but it's nothing ground-breaking. Which is good and bad. While the Antlion created a "new" mechanic that required players to go out of their way to handle. Either by retreating to the caves (though that's kinda the usual), appeasing it, or killing it.

Fuelweaver is in the middle seeing as if you want to reset the ruins it's a necessity, but reseting the ruins as a whole isn't.

What I'm saying is I think the game needs more direct opposition to the player, not side paths that can be chosen if desired. This is somewhat risky since you don't want to overload an already moderately balanced game-flow. Things like the Hamlet DLC, for the single-player game, have the advantage of starting from the ground up and basing all the new content on this new "circle of influence". 

So for me, new content that's more end-game oriented would be the way to go (even though I'm kinda noob). Starting from Year 2. New foes, new plants, new mechanics, new dangers, new environmental effects, etc. Unavoidable things that begin to sprout up. In a sense, Bearger is kinda like this. He doesn't appear first autumn, but does there after. This is also why the new "raid-boss" dragonfly bugs me (pun unintended). While not super unique, it took out a direct threat.

Through the Ages gave off the impression of going in that direction before it was seemingly tossed aside. 

You could have entirely new biomes so long as you bar them properly. Example: A new biome whose entrance is blocked by a large glacier. After 2 summers it melts away leading to new stuff, but also releasing new stuff into the old biomes. Example: A large meteor crashes down and converts an area into a new biome (I don't think that's possible with how tiles work, but I'm not that much of a modder. I suppose you might be able to do it similar to spider webs, unsure).

Of course, again, what needs to be important is that it adds a new, unavoidable challenge.

At the end of the day, Don't Starve (Together) is a survival game. It shouldn't be a thriving game.

The challenges you overcome should be more "I need to beat this so I don't die," than "I need to beat this so I can live a bit more conveniently."

now that i think of it, if we both want to win, that being klei and us, they can make main content updates like A New Reign, and sell a pack of skins with it like if it was a seasonal event like forge, or maybe even add something like a battle pass, i know almost any game is doing it, but i guess that could spice things up  idk

I really like that idea @Zeklo, there's sort of too many avoidable options in the game. You don't have to go to the caves ever and can still have a very balanced huge base on the surface. You don't even really have to fight any of the seasonal bosses, except for Deerclops but even then, theres tentacle traps or huge Beef herds that can do that for you. I would love if things happened more through out the years.

Spoiler
49 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

I feel the need to point out that the "main story" is progressing through the events. The story doesn't progress by playing the base game. The characters are stuck in an endless cycle.

I understand what you probably meant, but as a lore freak I had to put it out there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DST is in a perilous state where adding too much tips the entire balance of the game while adding too little doesn't equate to anything. For example: The "new" bosses (ie. Klaus, Bee Queen, Toadstool) do add new content, but it's nothing ground-breaking. Which is good and bad. While the Antlion created a "new" mechanic that required players to go out of their way to handle. Either by retreating to the caves (though that's kinda the usual), appeasing it, or killing it.

Fuelweaver is in the middle seeing as if you want to reset the ruins it's a necessity, but reseting the ruins as a whole isn't.

What I'm saying is I think the game needs more direct opposition to the player, not side paths that can be chosen if desired. This is somewhat risky since you don't want to overload an already moderately balanced game-flow. Things like the Hamlet DLC, for the single-player game, have the advantage of starting from the ground up and basing all the new content on this new "circle of influence". 

So for me, new content that's more end-game oriented would be the way to go (even though I'm kinda noob). Starting from Year 2. New foes, new plants, new mechanics, new dangers, new environmental effects, etc. Unavoidable things that begin to sprout up. In a sense, Bearger is kinda like this. He doesn't appear first autumn, but does there after. This is also why the new "raid-boss" dragonfly bugs me (pun unintended). While not super unique, it took out a direct threat.

Through the Ages gave off the impression of going in that direction before it was seemingly tossed aside. 

You could have entirely new biomes so long as you bar them properly. Example: A new biome whose entrance is blocked by a large glacier. After 2 summers it melts away leading to new stuff, but also releasing new stuff into the old biomes. Example: A large meteor crashes down and converts an area into a new biome (I don't think that's possible with how tiles work, but I'm not that much of a modder. I suppose you might be able to do it similar to spider webs, unsure).

Of course, again, what needs to be important is that it adds a new, unavoidable challenge.

At the end of the day, Don't Starve (Together) is a survival game. It shouldn't be a thriving game.

The challenges you overcome should be more "I need to beat this so I don't die," than "I need to beat this so I can live a bit more conveniently."

I fully agree with you. For example TtA content was going to be multiplayer focused: the ewecus = you can beat it only as a team (2 players or player + pig).
I really liked RoG because it builds up upon the existing and that made it great. RoG = base + RoG and that is the reason everybody loved it. While SW was only SW nothing added to the base game. Just a new world (but not like the caves) and that is why: some ppl liked it, some were 50/50, and some didn't like it. (I did like it because of the floods and the volcano)

As for DST I do dislike how this game turned from the "uncompromising survival"(that was DS) into the "game for everyone" and cosmetic content. I get it, game for everyone so more ppl can play it. But this really ruins the fun for those that are here for the challenge. I for one loved the game for it's "I will kill you" attitude toward the player. I had a hound attack + frog rain during the night (in DS) and loved it or the first time I saw  the frog rain, it was totally unexpected. I loved that part of the game  the unknown danger that pops-up and kills you.

The game killed you. And you would learn from that, so next time you play, you are prepared for it. Live and learn.

But with DST most of the new content is optional. It will never kill you unless you go to fight it. Ppl can play all they want without even seeing that content. They are just optional and that is not survival. You don't survive that content you just chose to fight it or not.

3 hours ago, 1v0 said:

But with DST most of the new content is optional. It will never kill you unless you go to fight it. Ppl can play all they want without even seeing that content. They are just optional and that is not survival. You don't survive that content you just chose to fight it or not.

I understand the point you're trying to make (and I agree with it as well), but honestly, there's a lot of optional content in DS too. There's never any real need to go into the caves and ruins. Once you get a sustainable food source, and solid base defenses, you're done. You could essentially just sit there and exist for all of eternity. Or... you could push yourself by going into more dangerous locations and try to survive in the caves and ruins. A lot of ANR felt like it was kind of an expansion of that.

But with that said, I do think we need more difficult challenges (be it mandatory or optional) to keep things interesting. I feel like the difficulty of survival should increase with each year survived, but that could be difficult to implement.

I very much am all for the "content that's part of the main thread" kinda idea, but...does it ALL have to be fighting-based?!

As someone who sucks at kiting and also the caves, I very much _like_ the fact that I don't HAVE to go to the caves and can just not go near some of the bosses (or avoid pissing them off--I end up living near the Bee Queen sometimes.  :P)  But, I'd love more content that was, well...CONTENT.  You know.  New stuff to see and do, a new biome would be AMAZING (part of the main reason why I love RoG is the desert and birch forest), new creatures, new resources, just...maybe not have _all_ the new stuff be annoyances you have to fight off constantly or else you can't play at all, 'kay?

If new content finally showed up, but it turned out to be just aNOTHER freaking boss battle only _this_ one gets right in your face--in addition to the Bearger and Deerclops, which both already do that!--I'd be so sad.  When I say I want "new content", I mean I want something FUN, not annoying, or "lol git gud n00b".  (My god, I think I literally just lost a few brain cells, typing that...)

This is a survival game, yes, but it's also a SANDBOX game.  That means that more than one playstyle is perfectly legit, and I'd hate to lose that about it.

Maybe something involving weather/climate being weird or more extreme than usual, or some new mobs that _can_ be dangerous, but can also be profitable if you know what you're doing.  And I _love_ the idea of an area only being available during certain parts of the year, or after the first year.  I've said this before, I know, but when we were discussing "Let's have something interesting to do in the summer!" I always think of that one mine you can only get to in the WINTER in Harvest Moon:   Friends of Mineral Town, because the lake freezes and you can walk over to it.  In this case, maybe something could drain because of the drought.

And, before you mock me for my "peace and love" wimpiness:  I'm also saying this 'cos I've been teaching my brother to play lately, and he's WAY across the world from me.  The best ping we can get is to make a dedicated server in a country _halfway between us_, so we STILL both have _some_ lag.  Deadly, HP-heavy bosses _that you can't avoid_ aren't the best idea under those circumstances. And we're hardly the only players who want to play the TOGETHER part in the game...but whose real life locations are definitely seperate.

So, that's why I can't put a like on your well-written post, Zeklo.  I very much like the basic sentiment, but disagree that the new content necessarily needs to be direct OPPOSITION to the player.  I'm thinking more, not totally "to the side" in the sense that maybe the new content lets you do something cool everyone's gonna want to do, or (gasp!) lets you advance with some kind of story element...but yes, in general:  Something that's part of the "main quest line" and not just some optional superboss you can go kill for bragging rights.  : P

...Notorious

First off from start/mid August to mid September most companies have the bulk of vacation periods for employees, and if my memory serves well Klei does too; so have a little bit of (more) patience.

Second I think before any new content, be it in form of events or permanent one for base game, some fixes and balances are needed. Character balance (for overpowered and underpowered ones alike), tweaks to gears (more durability for Thulecite attires & tools par example), recurrent and annoying bugs (WorldGen the most, regrowth etc), revising some mechanics (plant diseases, aka some consistent method of prevention), World Customization needs more fine-tuned options (like with "more" of one type of plant or resource actually be more in its specific biome - ex.: more reeds option incrementing their numbers only in Marsh), etc so that game would feel more finished as opposed to now. Then we have lore and things related to it that seem unfinished as well, like moon phases in conjunction with Shadow Chess pieces, Moon Stone and Moon Caller's Staff, Iridescent Gem (similar in aspect with the Favors' gem from Gorge event) and the whole Moon theme as personification for some hidden entity as hinted by character-specific quotes - to name a few. Only after all above (and not solely those) are properly addressed we can talk about new content (or at least that's my belief). Great games means attention to detail, and listed issues are the DST details preventing a truly holistic feel to it.

Lastly, as previous posters pointed, we need permanent new base-game content: new biomes, new bosses (and not just raid-specific ones), new mechanics, even new characters (that aren't Winona-level of disappointment at this stage in the game's life) a.s.o. But the already underlined problem of "cluttering" information from newbie perspective also needs to be kept in sight. My proposition: have an amp up in difficulty after let's say first killing of Ancient Fuelweaver - HP and AI of all mobs gets upgraded, dog attacks are randomized in number and frequency without any prior warning (maybe even have stronger mobs attacking like wave of spiders, merms etc), Swamp gets a tentacle-boss when venturing inside, maybe have a periodic/adventitious wind mechanic during winter (additional cold/chilling factor), and a global cycle of sandstorms in summer (movement hindrance, nevertheless not as obstructing as Antlion's Desert storm), perhaps some kind of floods during spring, more cave-mobs (and seasonal bosses for underworld too?!) etc, etc, etc. And please do something about the accumulating rot in old worlds, not only it looks like party-puke all over place but also causes lagging - same with twiggy trees (I proposed a makeshift solution about this, also involving the elusive Slipstor, here).

One thing is sure: if DST is to have a long life, it needs more updates over time, lore-consistent ones - and I hope the Forge and Gorge experiments yielded some directions for base-game (I for one wish at the end of events run all those wonderful worlds - Gorge, Forge etc - could be accessed as mini-games after killing AFw in one form or another).

Well, I dunno about THAT, if they're actually on vacation.  : P  (Actually my mom's vacation starts next week, too.  Why do I keep mentioning my family in this thread?  No idea.  She does also play games, but not DST.)  Anyway...

1 hour ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

Second I think before any new content, be it in form of events or permanent one for base game, some fixes and balances are needed. Character balance (for overpowered and underpowered ones alike), World Customization needs more fine-tuned options - like with "more" of one type of plant or resource actually be more in its specific biome - ex.: more reeds option incrementing their numbers only in Marsh) so that game would feel more finished as opposed to now. Then we have lore and things related to it that seem unfinished as well, like moon phases in conjunction with Shadow Chess pieces, Moon Stone and Moon Caller's Staff, Iridescent Gem (similar in aspect with the Favors' gem from Gorge event) and the whole Moon theme as personification for some hidden entity as hinted by character-specific quotes - to name a few. Only after all above properly addressed we can think about new content (or at least that's my belief). Great games means attention to detail, and listed issues are the DST details preventing a truly holistic feel to it.

Lastly, as previous posters pointed, we need permanent new base-game content: new biomes, new bosses (and not just raid-specific ones), new mechanics, even new characters (that aren't Winona-level of disappointment at this stage in the game's life) a.s.o. But the already underlined problem of "cluttering" information from newbie perspective also needs to be kept in sight. My proposition: have an amp up in difficulty after let's say first killing of Ancient Fuelweaver - HP and AI of all mobs gets upgraded, dog attacks are randomized in number and frequency without any prior warning (maybe even have stronger mobs attacking like wave of spiders, merms etc), Swamp gets a tentacle-boss when venturing inside, maybe have a wind mechanic during winter (additional cold/chilling factor), and a global cycle of sandstorms in summer (movement hindrance, nevertheless not as obstructing as Antlion's Desert storm), perhaps some kind of floods during spring, more cave-mobs (and seasonal bosses for underworld too?!) etc, etc, etc.

Amen, to a lot of this.  I've bolded the bits I especially liked...character balance HELLO (there's a reason there are not just one, not just two, but _several_ Willow and Woodie mods in the workshop) and...oh lord, YEESSSS, the "more" actually being "ridiculous amounts" thing has been an issue for a _long_ time.  (I'd also like it if some things were regen-able, such as being able to craft and plant your own grass tufts.  This would make, for example, worlds that have REALLY few of everything still viable in a post-apocalyptic kind of way, 'cos just as you could eventually get a whole forest out of one pine tree, you could eventually make one berry bush into many, etc.  But that's beside the point right now.)  But yeah, I'm kinda tired of putting the world to "more" Tallbirds or "more" tentacles, and finding tallbird nests in the meadow and tentacles in the savannah...

I've never really thought about the whole Moon stuff might be another powerful entity in the background thing.  Huh.

And yes, the "clutter" aspect has VERY much occurred to me as well.  Back during the "A New Reign" beta, in fact.  Here's the deal:  Cool new stuff that you can just run into everywhere is awesome for old players who are bored and want to be able to see the new stuff easily...but just makes THAT many more things to worry about and keep track of for newbies. And when did I _last_ think of this?  That's right--when I was "teaching" my brother to play.  I thought to myself, "Man, there are a lot of objects around here I have to explain real quick..." and pretty much ended up limiting my beginning advice to "is it useful/dangerous/something we can use right now?  y/n" for a lot of his questions.

I like the "new game +" kinda deal, but...no warning at ALL?! when hounds show up?  AND they're not scheduled?!  Damn!  If I wanted to have no warning whatsoever, I'd play as Wes.  I think ONE of those things might be okay but not both...maybe they're randomly timed but your character still says "Did you hear that?" or whatever at least _once_ before they actually appear...

I ilke the idea of new weather stuff during the seasons, and yes, I did almost suggest something regarding wind or walking-speed-slowing deep snow in the winter...BUUUUUTTT...then I remembered:  Have you ever been caught in the sandstorm when the hounds come?

(raises hand) I have!  And it...wasn't pretty.  Also the wind + floods as well idea is starting to sound a lot like Shipwrecked, and specifically the reasons I SUCK at Shipwrecked and die so soon.  Well, that and poison, but having to worry about rain AND wind AND shadow-hands putting out your fire during a long, long night (and the reason the shadow hands are there is _because_ the rain on the plain was making you insane in the membrane) is one of the main reasons I always die.  (Also even GETTING firewood is an "adventure", considering that every palm tree could bonk you on the head and every jungle tree could drop a poisonous snake...and sometimes you get stuck on an island with no trees!  That happened to me once too.  I had to use the coconuts I had in my inventory, originally to _eat_, to grow myself a raft.)

So...yeah, that's my latest ramblings on this whole mess.  : P

...Notorious

2 minutes ago, NorthicaN said:

Damn i came to read here comment about new content stuff. But most what ive seen is how much klei gets money from the game....

We are trying to figure out how to encourage klei to make New content, and talking about money revenue is one of The First steps.

8 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

I feel like klei is planning some stuff ( lore supposted )

Charlie is stealing stuff from the gateway either a) Drugs ( i had to ) or b) new powers for new content 

pls klei we need hard gajm not izi gejm plz klaai

Maybe a html puzzle with a skinned reward...

Spoiler

DO flame me. Actually do.

I pretty much agree with xxVERSUSyx's post - although I still enjoy the game in its current state and I'm please with it, I'm most likely in minority with this and new content is just better for everyone: the players, Klei and the game too.

2 hours ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

maybe even have stronger mobs attacking like wave of spiders

"Oh, I'm gonna enjoy this" - Wendy

In general I'd like to see more endgame thread, like the tentacle monster you mentioned, more randomised happenings, weather and attack waves, but there's one thing many players could dislike in it. Unless we'll be able to disable it, it could ruin the gameplay of megabases and long lasting servers that are more about thriving thann surviving. It could only affect veteran players, but I think it must be considered before implementing. For example: unpredictable hounds would destroy decoratively placed walls - so players would have to rebuild it again and again.

An idea that I just got from IvoCZE's post: what if getting new content we'd lose some in late game (temporarily ofc)? Like there comes a dry year (not only a season) where no grass grows (not even in caves or with flingo), so you have to prepare and stackpile it? Or maybe trees rotting and dropping much less (none?) logs. I didn't have much time thinking about if/how much this idea is balanced, challenging or interesting, just a rough idea that popped out of my mind.

I think the next major content update should focus on a caves expansion. A lot of biomes are pretty boring and don't offer much other then rocks. It's also relatively safer then the surface if you can manage sanity and/or can fight shadows. As mentioned before, the caves are pretty much optional content. So increasing the difficulty of survival down there isn't going to harm the learning curve for newbies very much. It seems like a win-win for everyone involved, both veterans and newbies alike.

An overhaul for the magic system would be nice too. The vast majority of magic items aren't very useful. It would be nice to see them become a little more practical, and even get a few new toys to play with as well.

The problem with temporary Events (and temporary seasonal additions, to a lesser extent since you can turn them back on) is just how self-contained they are. A normal content update leaves you with something to experiment with, at the very least.
With an event...if it's not your thing, you're left with nothing. For me, the Gorge had skins, but absolutely nothing else of value. Good concepts? Sure. But that means nothing once it's gone.

It'd be fine if Klei used the events to add at least a couple things from said events to the base game. Get some press, get some money, make a little update, happiness. As an example, the Forge could've been used for more varied magic/endgame equipment, Gorge for slightly simplified but more varied food growth/cooking mechanics...
That'd be the idea. Just a little something...so those of us that don't enjoy a particular event have something to do besides stare longingly at the game listing in our library remembering the days before it was basically abandoned.

I'm hoping that they add some things from the events to the base game once the events are finished. But after experiencing the Gorge, unless something really changes with how the next event is managed, I'm hoping that the events do finish.
Mini-games are one thing. I'm glad they're making money off of them.
But it's about time for DST to be dusted off and get some attention.

5 hours ago, Wilson_pl said:

We are trying to figure out how to encourage klei to make New content, and talking about money revenue is one of The First steps.

Its all about the money honey.. and maybe some inspiring ideas <3

51 minutes ago, Sinister_Fang said:

The vast majority of magic items aren't very useful. 

Magic needs a total reamp, and Maxwell should have the ability to start off with basic magic in the beginning, I mean he is a magician. Most magic isn't really useful and should be worked on more, maybe even have more magic weapons besides the Dark Sword, Batbat, and staves. Or even make the characters "magic" abilities work more off of each other. If they added stats like in the Forge with Wigfrid giving everyone and attack boost that would be great, I want something like that. 

More stuff to make with the psuedo science machine would be nice too..

5 hours ago, fimmatek said:

An idea that I just got from IvoCZE's post: what if getting new content we'd lose some in late game (temporarily ofc)? Like there comes a dry year (not only a season) where no grass grows (not even in caves or with flingo), so you have to prepare and stackpile it? Or maybe trees rotting and dropping much less (none?) logs. I didn't have much time thinking about if/how much this idea is balanced, challenging or interesting, just a rough idea that popped out of my mind.

A very solid idea, would love to see something like that in the future. For example, an “ice age” year - the whole year is colder, first half of spring and second half of autumn are essentially winter. Winter itself would be extremely cold and there could be new mobs/bosses/perhaps even biomes limited to this season. Summer would be normal temperature. Could be the exact opposite - global warming. If those seasons would be spread out randomly, Rain-o-meter and Thermal measurer could be used to predict temperature and stuff. Also I think we need more “sciency” items. Some ideas can be taken from ONI. For instance, a food generator of some sort could be an alternative to crockpot. Well, there’s a lot of ways to expand this.

Archived