What Winona Should Have Been.

When I saw the picture (it's very nice!) and the title I thought of Winona, Master of Unlocking...

I'm interested in a mod with expanded character abilities, too. I admit that Winona should have atleast an unique ability.

Since it's possible to control a chess monster in the ruins we should look for another perk for her.

4 hours ago, ProfessorAlpaca said:

I'd have to agree with this... When I first heard mechanic I assumed "Sweet she gets some kind of exclusive machinery!"

...and boy was I wrong!

Also thanks for the new phone wallpaper, who made this art?

if you look at the top right side there is a watermark, many arts have that to 1, help people find the original artist, and 2, prevent art thefts.

The artist is gigapolosotik, from what I can read of the watermark :)

6 hours ago, axxel said:

When I saw the picture (it's very nice!) and the title I thought of Winona, Master of Unlocking...

I'm interested in a mod with expanded character abilities, too. I admit that Winona should have atleast an unique ability.

Since it's possible to control a chess monster in the ruins we should look for another perk for her.

I was thinking she could be like Don't Starve's Twitch. 

She doesn't just be-friend Clockworks, she can actually hack them and play as them. When she does this, the character sits down with a controller, becoming idle, and we switch to the point of view of the Clockwork which she now controls. There's endless stuff you could do with this. You could level forests in seconds with a Rook, you could hunt birds and rabbits with a bishops, you could travel far distances as a knight without ever leaving your base.

Honestly, if she's supposed to be a handy woman why can't she just multiple character items that are useful?

Like if you break a science machine as her You don't lose resources with her "worker" hammer. She can keep the tape but let it fix everything but not as much as a sewing kit since its tape, so you can fix armour just not a lot... Just wish she wasn't as useless as she is..

#ImproveWinona2018

I believe that the characters that remain the most popular, gameplaywise, are the ones that keep some or all their perks useful even in lategame: something that makes you want to push to and aim for that, knowing that no matter the effort you will see a reward. This clearly applies to Wolfgang, Wendy, Wickerbottom, WX, and to a lesser extent to Maxwell and Wigfrid:

Spoiler

EG: Wickerbottom's world manipulation with books, WX's looking up to get upgraded or charged, Wendy Farming all the lesser creatures including the annoying monkeys, Wolfgang farming Bosses.

Wigfrid's helms remain useful throughout all the stages of the game as a cheap protection, and her regeneration and resilience is also a nice side thing to always have, but overall most people agree that her perks fall flat in lategame (And that's still fine, don't get me wrong, its a pretty solid constant character anyway). Maxwell's sanity regen and the ability to mass farm wood and stone when required also remain relevant throughout the game, but to a lesser extent (He'd be 10x better if his duelists would actually help, even if they were more expensive to make, or had a limited time of lifespan).

Webber's main thing works awesome in early and mid game, but in lategame you really don't need more silk or glands, food sources are usually abundant, and bunnymen or ornery beefalo prove better allies in battle than spiders. He has some situations where cave spiders or queens can prove useful to defend against some threat, but its rare and usually not something "exclusive" to him (anyone can run around a spider queen to get them to aggro something else, it's just safer for him).

Willow or Woodie, which have small perks in early game, very quickly fall flat to have nothing in mid or lategame. These last two have quite some room for improvement, but that's for another topic.

Winona has 2 small side perks that remain useful throughout the whole game, but they are tiny and pretty niche. I feel she needs a good main perk, something that you could use further in the game and makes you want to aim for that, even if it comes with a drawback. Building a new type of unique expensive and time consuming clockwork, or being able to repair hard to obtain stuff, just to mention some examples, fits into the category.

I would love for her to be able to take over clockworks, because that'd mean modders could use that for a whole lot of fun stuff.  But overall, yeah, Winona feels like a barely-modified Wilson, and I feel they could expand upon her.  I don't see anyone defending her current state.

17 hours ago, FluffyDoomMonster said:

if you look at the top right side there is a watermark

Golly that blended in pretty well, but I still feel silly for not noticing it!

Thanks for pointing it out.

11 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

She doesn't just be-friend Clockworks, she can actually hack them and play as them. When she does this, the character sits down with a controller, becoming idle, and we switch to the point of view of the Clockwork which she now controls.

I really love this idea.

I could see each clockwork being crafted similarly to Maxwell's shadows. Clockworks could have their own fuel bar similar to the log meter, and when this is empty the clockwork deactivates where it stands and you have to trek back to it to refuel, they also wouldn't be too fast. Alternatively other players could refuel the clockwork as you go, which would of course promote cooperation. Obviously while controlling a clockwork Winona is still starving and losing sanity as she would normally be. Combining this with Winona's builder perk, she could be a very productive character while rarely needing to leave the base, as @TheKingofSquirrels mentioned.

(Her 1 free Charlie hit could even be more relevant if she finds herself suddenly in darkness while busy controlling a clockwork, or maybe she's too busy to even notice and gets hit anyway :/ )

Maybe to gain the ability to craft these clockworks in the first place you need to find a blueprint that only Winona can use. Would it be fitting for the shadow clockworks to always drop their respective blueprint, or as a percentage drop from damaged clockworks?

If anything, somebody PLEASE mod something similar to this...

22 hours ago, ProfessorAlpaca said:

Golly that blended in pretty well, but I still feel silly for not noticing it!

Thanks for pointing it out.

I really love this idea.

I could see each clockwork being crafted similarly to Maxwell's shadows. Clockworks could have their own fuel bar similar to the log meter, and when this is empty the clockwork deactivates where it stands and you have to trek back to it to refuel, they also wouldn't be too fast. Alternatively other players could refuel the clockwork as you go, which would of course promote cooperation. Obviously while controlling a clockwork Winona is still starving and losing sanity as she would normally be. Combining this with Winona's builder perk, she could be a very productive character while rarely needing to leave the base, as @TheKingofSquirrels mentioned.

(Her 1 free Charlie hit could even be more relevant if she finds herself suddenly in darkness while busy controlling a clockwork, or maybe she's too busy to even notice and gets hit anyway :/ )

Maybe to gain the ability to craft these clockworks in the first place you need to find a blueprint that only Winona can use. Would it be fitting for the shadow clockworks to always drop their respective blueprint, or as a percentage drop from damaged clockworks?

Love all of this

If she had some ability to take over an actual clockwork and control it for a brief amount of time, that would make going through clockwork infested ruins and getting their loot an absolute breeze rather than either sprinting past them or taking them out slowly but surely. Or if she just got her own little clockwork drone, maybe we'd finally get to see the Clockwork Pawn come into use. 

1 hour ago, Auth said:

If she had some ability to take over an actual clockwork and control it for a brief amount of time, that would make going through clockwork infested ruins and getting their loot an absolute breeze rather than either sprinting past them or taking them out slowly but surely. Or if she just got her own little clockwork drone, maybe we'd finally get to see the Clockwork Pawn come into use. 

image.png.f34bf356bf759732a0a3f2221197a72c.png

I'd love to see this little guy. Winona would turn into Twich from Rainbow :D 

Maybe he creates light? So Winona can control a walking light for other players from the safety of her base. Give her a reason to be an exclusive DST character. 

3 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

image.png.f34bf356bf759732a0a3f2221197a72c.png

I'd love to see this little guy. Winona would turn into Twich from Rainbow :D 

Maybe he creates light? So Winona can control a walking light for other players from the safety of her base. Give her a reason to be an exclusive DST character. 

I was thinking more of maybe just a little bot that can roam around exploring the map for you, maybe pick up one or two items and have a tiny little zipzap attack as some forms of defense (but nothing that’s remotely classified as a super viable replacement for fighting gear) and that’s just because light sources are very abundant and would just make her either feel uninspired and not unique and really useless later game if all it did was make some light.

Because honesty I’d love to see “Pawn VS Dragonfly” and other silly stuff on youtube.

On 12/22/2017 at 5:18 PM, ProfessorAlpaca said:

I really love where this idea is going so im going to share my ideas on it.

Give Winona a new starting item which is a modified Voxola Radio that she uses to control the clockworks, She would recieve a new clockwork tab to build robots as soon as she prototypes a Clockwork Pawn using the alchemy engine and would need a rare blueprint to build the Rook, Knight and Bishop. The respective blueprint should aways be dropped by a level 3 Shadow Clockwork and regular and broken clockworks could have a really small chance to drop one.

In order to take over a clockwork Winona will need to link the radio to the desired robot, then the fuel meter would appear on the corner of your screen with a small icon to show the type of clockwork.

When a clockwork is linked to the radio it will become active and will only turn off after you de-link it. The fuel meter will slowly decrease until it completely runs off, performing special actions should as shooting lasers as bishop, charging and ramming into trees as rook or taking damage will also decrease a percentage of the fuel meter and when it runs off the robot will fall helplessly into the ground, you will lose all communication through the radio and any nearby monster can aggro to it, damage it and destroy it. Maybe they could also freeze and overheat causing an increment in fuel consumption?

Lastly Winona's clockworks should also have a unique model to distinguish them from the regular clockworks.

14 hours ago, minespatch said:

It'd be a fun critter in the future.

God no. Critters are the biggest waste of potential this game has ever had. The less that's done with them, the better.

14 hours ago, minespatch said:

Imagine all the tiny robot skins(maybe even a bb8 parody).

Couldn't care less. New mechanics over cosmetics, every time. 

11 hours ago, Auth said:

I was thinking more of maybe just a little bot that can roam around exploring the map for you, maybe pick up one or two items and have a tiny little zipzap attack as some forms of defense (but nothing that’s remotely classified as a super viable replacement for fighting gear) and that’s just because light sources are very abundant and would just make her either feel uninspired and not unique and really useless later game if all it did was make some light.

Because honesty I’d love to see “Pawn VS Dragonfly” and other silly stuff on youtube.

10 hours ago, SandvichSpy said:

I really love where this idea is going so im going to share my ideas on it.

Give Winona a new starting item which is a modified Voxola Radio that she uses to control the clockworks, She would recieve a new clockwork tab to build robots as soon as she prototypes a Clockwork Pawn using the alchemy engine and would need a rare blueprint to build the Rook, Knight and Bishop. The respective blueprint should aways be dropped by a level 3 Shadow Clockwork and regular and broken clockworks could have a really small chance to drop one.

In order to take over a clockwork Winona will need to link the radio to the desired robot, then the fuel meter would appear on the corner of your screen with a small icon to show the type of clockwork.

When a clockwork is linked to the radio it will become active and will only turn off after you de-link it. The fuel meter will slowly decrease until it completely runs off, performing special actions should as shooting lasers as bishop, charging and ramming into trees as rook or taking damage will also decrease a percentage of the fuel meter and when it runs off the robot will fall helplessly into the ground, you will lose all communication through the radio and any nearby monster can aggro to it, damage it and destroy it. Maybe they could also freeze and overheat causing an increment in fuel consumption?

Lastly Winona's clockworks should also have a unique model to distinguish them from the regular clockworks.

Love all of this. 

How about a tiny critter robot that she can build (and actively control as was explained before, leaving her original self standing in a place) to explore at a decent speed, and consumes fuel while moving (can be recharged). It could also be neutral to normal or broken clockworks, and it could maybe hack into a clockwork taking control over it (and being able to move it out of the caves too) but as soon as the fuel runs out (or if you stop contolling it) the little critter will eject from the clockwork and become inmobile once more, and the clockwork will return to its aggresive state.

Archived