What Winona Should Have Been.

7 minutes ago, Toros said:

Winona has an interest in clockworks but none of her quotes display any special understanding of them.

...I mean, I don't think Wilson displays any special understanding of science from his quotes...Yet he's a scientist.

As far as quotes go, there's as much evidence to show that Winona is a Mechanic as there is to show the Wilson is a scientist. 

15 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

1) ...I mean, I don't think Wilson displays any special understanding of science from his quotes...Yet he's a scientist.

2) As far as quotes go, there's as much evidence to show that Winona is a Mechanic as there is to show the Wilson is a scientist. 

He's a "gentleman scientist" from a time period where https://www.bestmedicaldegrees.com/10-dangerous-drugs-once-marketed-as-medicine/ was acceptable.  Evidence based practice for science and medicine in many fields wasn't standard until the late 1900s.  Wilson does "experiments" and calls himself a scientist.  He also describes pine trees as "piney."

2) Exactly, which is zero.  No one refers to Wilson as "the scientist" since any of his "science" decidedly unscientific.  Does this look like science to you?

latest?cb=20140330212319

26 minutes ago, Toros said:

He's a "gentleman scientist" from a time period where https://www.bestmedicaldegrees.com/10-dangerous-drugs-once-marketed-as-medicine/ was acceptable.  Evidence based practice for science and medicine in many fields wasn't standard until the late 1900s.  Wilson does "experiments" and calls himself a scientist.  He also describes pine trees as "piney."

2) Exactly, which is zero.  No one refers to Wilson as "the scientist" since any of his "science" decidedly unscientific.  Does this look like science to you?

latest?cb=20140330212319

I'm talking about quotes exclusively. 

And Winona has tons of quotes connoting that she is a mechanic or an engineer:

Battlecry (prey)- "I'm the engineer of your demise!"

Not Gem- "What sort of engineer do you take me for?"

Winona (firestarter)- "We're supposed to build machines, not fires!"

Clockwork Rook- "No way that was made in a factory."

Clockwork Knight- "Incredible! Let me look at those gears!"

33 minutes ago, minespatch said:

um.png.f22ba2d8a64098fbd6d9925a8fbf5811.png

I didn't have the other Lost Skeleton of Cadavra quote.

Obviously, he's saying stuff like "science that" and "science whatever", but for the people who were saying the Winona's interest in Engineering is not professional, same case could go for Wilson.

3 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I'm talking about quotes exclusively. 

And Winona has tons of quotes connoting that she is a mechanic or an engineer:

Battlecry (prey)- "I'm the engineer of your demise!"

Not Gem- "What sort of engineer do you take me for?"

Winona (firestarter)- "We're supposed to build machines, not fires!"

It should be noted that the official quotes differ from the leaked ones. All the references to engineering seem to have been replaced.

BATTLECRY =
        PREY = "I'll demolish you!",

NOTGEM = "What sort of worker do you take me for?",

WINONA =
            FIRESTARTER = "Haven't we lost enough to fires, %s?",

3 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

but for the people who were saying the Winona's interest in Engineering is not professional, same case could go for Wilson.

That's exactly what they're saying.

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:26 PM, ShadowDuelist said:

How about a tiny critter robot that she can build (and actively control as was explained before, leaving her original self standing in a place) to explore at a decent speed, and consumes fuel while moving (can be recharged). It could also be neutral to normal or broken clockworks, and it could maybe hack into a clockwork taking control over it (and being able to move it out of the caves too) but as soon as the fuel runs out (or if you stop contolling it) the little critter will eject from the clockwork and become inmobile once more, and the clockwork will return to its aggresive state.

Traveling is definitely a better idea, we need her to actually be reworked like that, perhaps even be able to come with a second player.

Definitely not faster than a beefalo but should have a little bit HP since it wouldn't need to be tamed, maybe make it portable like the surfing board.

You know I think this thread will soon become beautiful.

18 hours ago, Residays said:

Traveling is definitely a better idea, we need her to actually be reworked like that, perhaps even be able to come with a second player.

Definitely not faster than a beefalo but should have a little bit HP since it wouldn't need to be tamed, maybe make it portable like the surfing board.

You know I think this thread will soon become beautiful.

I love this idea. The problem is that it has little use late game if it's just for exploring.

Perhaps it can be used to pick up small items and transport them? Imagine how useful this will for rock gathering. When you are mining rocks, you don't have to stop every time to pick everything up and you don't have to worry about inventory space. Just focus on breaking the boulders/rocks down and have your little bot pick all the pieces up later. Especially if it can move around at night, that would be such a time saver.

And maybe it doesn't aggro mobs as much as players do. So the little bot can get into places that are usually dangerous for the player. Like a spiders nest, or the Dragonfly's base or areas in the caves. 

*Raises Hand* Uh, I have a question!

So who would the hounds attack? Winona or the bots? Would they attack both?

In the described scenario that I've been seeing thus far, Winona ends up being a sitting duck for the most part.

Time to throw in my two cents:

• Rooks would be able to mow down trees and rocks at her command (selecting a tree, have her whip out her controller, and do it. Neutral unless told to attack, will flee if on critical health)
  • Collectors/Pawns would act like a combination of a lazy forager and chester (9 inventory slots, passive, will run if a fight breaks out)
  • Bishops and Knights would act the same (neutral unless told to attack, flee on critical health)
  • Robots will be able to regain health at the cost of lowering the fuel meter
  • Robots will follow Winona when told to follow, and will continue following Winona until told to stay put.
  • Moving robots will consume fuel meter
  • Idle robots will go into rest mode, significantly reducing fuel meter drain
  • Idling robots will go into hibernation if left idle for a set period of time (say maybe 3 days), will no longer drain fuel meter, but will need to be turned back on

I dunno if that's too micro-managy, but at least then people would be playing as Winona, and not as her bots. :3

2 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

*Raises Hand* Uh, I have a question!

So who would the hounds attack? Winona or the bots? Would they attack both?

Winona. She still receives damage while using the bots. She'll be able to hear the hounds when she's the robots, wherever they are. So unless she wants to be hound food, she'd have to disconnect from the robots and fend for herself. 

2 hours ago, watermelen671 said:

• Rooks would be able to mow down trees and rocks at her command (selecting a tree, have her whip out her controller, and do it. Neutral unless told to attack, will flee if on critical health)
  • Collectors/Pawns would act like a combination of a lazy forager and chester (9 inventory slots, passive, will run if a fight breaks out)
  • Bishops and Knights would act the same (neutral unless told to attack, flee on critical health)
  • Robots will be able to regain health at the cost of lowering the fuel meter
  • Robots will follow Winona when told to follow, and will continue following Winona until told to stay put.
  • Moving robots will consume fuel meter
  • Idle robots will go into rest mode, significantly reducing fuel meter drain
  • Idling robots will go into hibernation if left idle for a set period of time (say maybe 3 days), will no longer drain fuel meter, but will need to be turned back on

I dunno if that's too micro-managy, but at least then people would be playing as Winona, and not as her bots. :3

I love all of that.

On ‎28‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:54 PM, TheKingofSquirrels said:

I love this idea. The problem is that it has little use late game if it's just for exploring.

Perhaps it can be used to pick up small items and transport them? Imagine how useful this will for rock gathering. When you are mining rocks, you don't have to stop every time to pick everything up and you don't have to worry about inventory space. Just focus on breaking the boulders/rocks down and have your little bot pick all the pieces up later. Especially if it can move around at night, that would be such a time saver.

And maybe it doesn't aggro mobs as much as players do. So the little bot can get into places that are usually dangerous for the player. Like a spiders nest, or the Dragonfly's base or areas in the caves. 

I'm talking about a vehicle, here's a reworked idea for it:

- Portable, 1 day of durability that can be completely refilled with a moonstone.

- Collects things on touch (not an aura like the amulet)

- Incoming attacks reduce 3% durability but the vehicle has no aggro at all.

- Player can use hand slot items and give items to players.

- Shakeness: Attacks shake the vehicle making Winona fall off.

With this Winona would be an alternative collector/explorer, which would go well with her shorter building cooldown.

7 hours ago, Residays said:

I'm talking about a vehicle, here's a reworked idea for it:

- Portable, 1 day of durability that can be completely refilled with a moonstone.

- Collects things on touch (not an aura like the amulet)

- Incoming attacks reduce 3% durability but the vehicle has no aggro at all.

- Player can use hand slot items and give items to players.

- Shakeness: Attacks shake the vehicle making Winona fall off.

With this Winona would be an alternative collector/explorer, which would go well with her shorter building cooldown.

You mean like...a car?

The more I read your posts further down this thread (almost all of you posters), the more it feels like reading the specs for Musha, The Nuclear Princess 2.0. Robot drones that would chop, demolish, gather, fight, robots supposedly build by this Winona from gears, now a vehicle... dear God, and they say Wicker is overpowered. Well at least now I know what type of brainstorming those modders with furry and anime characters probably go through :roll:

In this line of thoughts I propose a tank. Winona should be able to build a tank. That shoots lasers! Everybody loves lasers, right?! (one Winter's Feast Laserclops sure does) So why not a siege laser-tank?! Am I right, eh, EEHHH?! Go big or go home they say. WOOO-HA!

49 minutes ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

The more I read your posts further down this thread (almost all of you posters), the more it feels like reading the specs for Musha, The Nuclear Princess 2.0. Robot drones that would chop, demolish, gather, fight, robots supposedly build by this Winona from gears, now a vehicle... dear God, and they say Wicker is overpowered. Well at least now I know what type of brainstorming those modders with furry and anime characters probably go through :roll:

In this line of thoughts I propose a tank. Winona should be able to build a tank. That shoots lasers! Everybody loves lasers, right?! (one Winter's Feast Laserclops sure does) So why not a siege laser-tank?! Am I right, eh, EEHHH?! Go big or go home they say. WOOO-HA!

At least ours will be in unbroken English. X3

On 24/12/2017 at 4:06 AM, TheKingofSquirrels said:

image.png.f34bf356bf759732a0a3f2221197a72c.png

I'd love to see this little guy. Winona would turn into Twich from Rainbow :D 

Maybe he creates light? So Winona can control a walking light for other players from the safety of her base. Give her a reason to be an exclusive DST character. 

This, this will make Winona more appealing to players

7 hours ago, xxVERSUSxy said:

Yeah, we are going a bit off the rails.

Personally, I'd just like the pawn idea and the ability to control other clockwork monsters.

On 31/12/2017 at 6:27 AM, DatShadowJK said:

But what will the cost be, will there even be a cost, will she be able to make a little controller?

The controller should be craft able: 1x Volt Goat Horn (the antenna), 1x log, 2x electrical doodad.

Then, if the different clockworks are craftable, they would have different crafting recipes:

- Rooks: 1x Guardian's horn, 4x gears, 2x electrical doodad

- Bishop: 1x Deerclops eyeball, 4x saffron feathers, 2x gears, 2x electrical doodad

- Knight: 2x gears, 2x electrical doodad

- Pawn: 1x lightbulb, 1x gold, 1x gear, 1x electrical doodad

31 minutes ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

The controller should be craft able: 1x Volt Goat Horn (the antenna), 1x log, 2x electrical doodad.

Then, if the different clockworks are craftable, they would have different crafting recipes:

- Bishop: 1x Deerclops eyeball, 4x saffron feathers, 2x gears, 2x electrical doodad

I’m not sure players in the same server would like to give up an eyeball for Winona, which could be used for an eyebrella. Maybe an purple gem? It drops that when dead

6 hours ago, TheKingofSquirrels said:

Those recipes need a small little tweaking since every single craftable item and structure in Don't Starve follows the "3 item rule", there isn't a single craftable that requires more than 3 items to be crafted.

2 hours ago, SandvichSpy said:

Those recipes need a small little tweaking since every single craftable item and structure in Don't Starve follows the "3 item rule", there isn't a single craftable that requires more than 3 items to be crafted.

Huh, never realised that. For fun, here's a fixed version:

Bishop: 1x Deerclops eyeball, 2x gears, 2x electrical doodad.

- Pawn: 1x lightbulb, 1x gear, 1x electrical doodad

Imo the Pawn should just be a follower that creates light as long as it is alive.

You can right click on it to make it follow you and then right click it again to make it stop following you. And this is where "Winona The Mechanic" should stop.

On 06/01/2018 at 11:35 AM, Szczuku said:

Imo the Pawn should just be a follower that creates light as long as it is alive.

You can right click on it to make it follow you and then right click it again to make it stop following you. And this is where "Winona The Mechanic" should stop.

I think a permanent light source is too OP and critters are such a poorly added in Mechanic, that it's not even worth developing. 

Archived