[Game Update] - (BETA) 212819

1 minute ago, Sudura2017 said:

The antlion's attack is if you're fighting her, she's running through the desert. Nice try though.

3. Never seen the Bishop.

4. Trolling is your natural response?

2. Running away from antilion...

3. Know the game before critiqueing!

4. Fight toadstool before critiqueing!!

5. He has always had 3 eyes so... Know the enemy before critiqueing!!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, JJburner said:

2. Running away from antilion...

3. Know the game before critiqueing!

4. Fight toadstool before critiqueing!!

5. He has always had 3 eyes so... Know the enemy before critiqueing!!

the antlion has a range of like 2 turf, she ran about 10

2 hours ago, The Curator said:

No Winona, Rose Collection, Willow rebalance, Woodie rebalance, Klei store still down.

And no missing shadow chess drops.  But that's not the worst part.

The worst part is the slow motion images in my mind of a larval Slipstor bouncing up and down, growing up, and waggling its silly arms all while accompanied by In the Arms of the Angels...

WAAA HOO HOO! The beta is over, the new reign is official! And I absolutely love the idea of a new puzzle to try and solve. Ahh Klei, ya dun it again! Ooh I'm filled to the brim with hype now, someone help me!

pingash.jpg

4 hours ago, V2C said:

The reign of the new shadow queen has swept across the land of Don't Starve Together and now creeps deep into the bowels of the earth. What ancient secrets will be dredged up by Charlie's dark machinations, and what purpose does she have in mind for the formidable being at the center of the Ruins?

New Giants: New bosses like the Toadstool, Bee Queen and Klaus await your challenge.  The Antlion may give you trouble too, if you're looking to pick a fight...

Enhanced Biomes: Explore the desert biome for a chance to discover a luscious oasis, or brave the caves and delve into the heart of the Ruins for ancient secrets.

New Ruins Content: Who is the Ancient Fuelweaver, and what does Charlie have in store for him?

A New Reign is complete and live now!  We would like to give a huge thanks to everyone who participated in the Beta, and we are completely blown away by how helpful this community has been with bug reports and feedback.

Please note that all the new content added as part of A New Reign will be automatically retrofitted into existing Worlds, but we cannot guarantee that this will be exactly the same as using a new Save Slot to generate a new World.

dst_ANR_banner.png

View full update

Appreciate all of the hard work you put into making this! :wilson_goodjob:

3 hours ago, ImDaMisterL said:

Thanks! :wilson_love:

• Like 1

I'm sorry but the animation in this new trailer is really awful.

Don't Starve Together - A New Reign Trailer.mp4_20170407_091334.437.jpg

Don't Starve Together - A New Reign Cinematic.mp4_20170407_092046.748.jpg

Comparing the opening Charlie scene to the origin appearance, Charlie gets smaller eyes, bigger nose, wider chests with a more realistic  proportion in the new trailer. It doesn't fit the art style of Don't Starve at all and makes Charlie completely out of the world. Not to mention that stiff face-expression and sloppy hand-lifting movement - didn't the animator of this scene know overlapping principle at all?

Don't Starve Together - A New Reign Trailer.mp4_20170407_091415.972.jpgDon't Starve Together - A New Reign Trailer.mp4_20170407_091525.237.jpg

The following scenes of Willow is just plain ugly. Please give Willow some love, she's already the weakest character in the game and now you're making her the ugliest as well. To make it even worse, Willow is drawn with two completely different style in two close scenes! Do you ever have a model sheet for the characters?

Don't Starve Together Launch Trailer.mp4_20170407_094826.902.jpg

(For comparison, this is a great Willow drawing from previous trailer)

Don't Starve Together - A New Reign Trailer.mp4_20170407_091836.373.jpg

I guess @minespatch could draw better than this.

The rest scenes are fine, but the scenes above are intolerable. This is the worst trailer I've seen from Klei and I wonder what's happening there. Also the banner for ANR looks awful as well.

3 minutes ago, maxiaogua said:

Comparing the opening Charlie scene to the origin appearance, Charlie gets smaller eyes, bigger nose, wider chests with a more realistic  proportion in the new trailer. It doesn't fit the art style of Don't Starve at all and makes Charlie completely out of the world. Not to mention that stiff face-expression and sloppy hand-lifting movement - didn't the animator of this scene know overlapping principle at all?

Don't Starve Together - A New Reign Trailer.mp4_20170407_091415.972.jpgDon't Starve Together - A New Reign Trailer.mp4_20170407_091525.237.jpg

The following scenes of Willow is just plain ugly. Please give Willow some love, she's already the weakest character in the game and now you're making her the ugliest as well. To make it even worse, Willow is drawn with two completely different style in two close scenes! Do you ever have a model sheet for the characters?

The rest scenes are fine, but the scenes above are intolerable. This is the worst trailer I've seen from Klei and I wonder what's happening there. Also the banner for ANR looks awful as well.

Spoiler

Bullshit.gif

• Like 9

In trailers Klei harnesses every artist that can animate in their team, so not just the pioneers of the ds art style: Tony and Jeff, creating this diverse plate of different art every scene or so. Most likely to get it done and out quicker. That's what's happening there fyi.

I'm still just always happy to see a new trailer, nonetheless. 

Edited by CheeseNuggets101
  • Like 8

46 minutes ago, Chris1488 said:
  Hide contents

Bullshit.gif

I don't mind the new trailer at, strictly focusing on the animation. It seems as though they had different people doing different sections, so of course characters are going to look varying degrees of different when drawn by one person or another. I guess watching a show like Steven Universe where the characters can look so ridiculously different from episode to episode has conditioned me into having this kinda attitude.

Besides, I really like how Charlie looks here, she looks really gorgeous on the banner... even if it's not one hundred percent faithful to her design with her prior appearances.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, maxiaogua said:

ariel confused shrug.pngI don't know if I should feel flattered or  depressed.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, V2C said:

Please note that all the new content added as part of A New Reign will be automatically retrofitted into existing Worlds, but we cannot guarantee that this will be exactly the same as using a new Save Slot to generate a new World.

Hopefully i won't need to regenerate my dedicated server's beta world again, i would be grateful if Klei developers could let players know how newly generated worlds may vary.

Best regards

Edited by PandoMish
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, minespatch said:

But I liked the trailer. Just wish Klei would just make a video for just their animation. Like a reel of some kind.

As did I! I'll admit it had its faults but nothing that took away from it for me personally.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, CheeseNuggets101 said:

In trailers Klei harnesses every artist that can animate in their team, so not just the pioneers of the ds art style: Tony and Jeff, creating this diverse plate of different art every scene or so. Most likely to get it done and out quicker. That's what's happening there fyi.

Well then Klei needs to learn how to properly manage and run their own team. The point of a practical team is not that you include everybody at all times it is that everybody wears their strongest suit. And this team is dedicated to creating a product, it is not about having fun or being a loving community; it is about properly making the product your business is trying to sell.

Great they include multiple artists and animators well currently that accomplishes absolutely nothing and only served to create this shoddy trailer where Charlie looks like waifu fanatic art, Willow is in her late seventies and Woodie is a highschool art student's doodle.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, The Curator said:

it is not about having fun or being a loving community; it is about properly making the product your business is trying to sell.

Geeze. You like to suck the fun out of everything don't you? Not everyone is an emotionless robot ya know. It's possible to have fun and make a great community while also making enjoyable games. And that's exactly what Klei seems to be doing.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Ressayez said:

I don't mind the new trailer at, strictly focusing on the animation. It seems as though they had different people doing different sections, so of course characters are going to look varying degrees of different when drawn by one person or another. I guess watching a show like Steven Universe where the characters can look so ridiculously different from episode to episode has conditioned me into having this kinda attitude.

Besides, I really like how Charlie looks here, she looks really gorgeous on the banner... even if it's not one hundred percent faithful to her design with her prior appearances.

I was first attracted to DS's art style before I learned about the game content, thus I always care more about art style.

It's common to have multiple people doing different scenes in any animation production, but that's why character sheets and animation supervisior/director or lead clean-up artists exist to help remain the consistency. Shows like Steven Universe may vary from episode to episode because different sub-contractors are doing animation for each episode and different animation directors are supervising each episode, that's acceptable because it still remains consistency within one episode and characters don't suddenly change their style from scene to scene. Sometimes different styles by different animators even add more charming and personality if they are well planned and organized, like Bob Clampett's cartoons from Golden Age, or shows like Ren & Stimpy from 90s, or any modern "sakuga" anime shows.

In this case, the inconsistency is certainly not intented and pulls down the quality of animation. I could see animators for the Willow scenes don't even have a character sheet or maybe just being too lazy to follow the sheet. As an animation maniac who really enjoys animator's personality, I can certainly accept the isconsistency IF ONLY THEY ARE ANIMATED WELL. But these two Willow scenes didn't meet any standards of being well. I'm not sure if you can see the difference between the old DST trailer and the new ANR trailer, but I'll point it out to be clear: The lines of Willow in the old trailer is quite loose. Each body portions are composited well. The whirling pigtails add sharp contrast to the body for greater visual effect. The staging is well planned for a clearer action. That's what we called a good "cartoony" drawing, but everything lacks in the new Willow scenes. I know, the animators behind the scenes might not be that bad, they could be just too rushed or not used to draw "cartoony" stuff, but as a commercial product, customers don't care any excuses.

As for the new Charlie "design", personally I dislike it, but I'm not trying to convince anyone and everyone could have their tastes. However one thing should have been made clear: it doesn't fit the overall style of Don't Starve. It doesn't have a similar body proportion to other characters and it's too realistic for a surrealistic game setting. It's like having a character with Teen Titans design in a Teen Titans Go show, it feels completely off.

Also I'm criticizing the movement of Charlie in the opening scene. Let me explain here: The hand-lifting action is all wrong. There's too little overlapping in the scene, the head suddenly stops while hand keeps moving that makes Charlie really dull. There should be some more "holds" for the head and some overlapping for the body shifting to make movement more natural. Also the timing is too even, the animator should use tighter spacing for the beginng of action and wider spacing for the end to make the hand-lifting more dynamic. Not to mention Charlie's blank face...It's one of the worst animation pieces I've seen from Klei. AND IT'S THE FIRST SCENE! I mean, if you're really in a tight schedule for doing actual good animation, you should at least make your opening scenes looking good. Even some poor anime shows know to use their best animation in the opening!

• Like 3

I think a few things need to be remembered when criticising the animation in the trailer:

• The animation of the in game assets themselves are incredibly well done, with the art style fitting in with the rest of the game. This is the most important part, and it shows that this is what Klei prioritise.

• Producing animation takes a lot of time, and as a business Klei probably doesn't want to devote all of its animators to this one task for longer than necessary. Seeing as people mentioned Steven Universe, I feel it necessary to point out that the animator in charge of an episode functions more as a storyboard artist: the majority of the frames are outsourced to other studios who do all the heavy graft. Klei does everything in house.

• The sketchiness of the DS artstyle means that it's easier to play fast and loose with getting these trailers done, as it can be rather forgiving. As a comparison, I can't imagine ONI getting as many trailers as DS, on account of the style being much more refined. 

• The animation and art style honestly changes from one trailer to the next, and that doesn't bother me. I'm obviously going to like some more than others, but that's just personal taste. I'm still impressed by their commitment, and overall enjoy the work they're producing.

• Like 6

Spoiler
8 hours ago, maxiaogua said:

I can tell you why they have varying art styles...

Lore video/game launch trailer

Trailer for update/dlc.

Edited by GiddyGuy
  • Like 1