[Game Update] - Year of the Gobbler Preview (BETA 202894)

10 minutes ago, JellyUltra said:

10 minutes according to the wiki, that's just a bit over a day.

That's outdated. From a quick test I just did it seems to last around 9~10 days.

I'm unsure if it decays quicker in summer or not.

31 minutes ago, mochilo said:

Anyone? I'm a bit confused about the game going out of beta.

I think that all this stuff should be on your server unless you changed the event setting to Winter's Feast (or something else). As to a developer (forgot who exactly) every world with event setting "default" will receive all event stuff in its time, turned on and off by Klei.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kittydub said:

How do you make the Lucky Gold Nuggets? 

Red Pouches
Gobblers drop red pouches (each contain a single lucky gold nugget) in one of two ways:

1. Eating Off Ground
    If a gobbler eats food off the ground, then it immediately drops a red pouch.  After dropping a pouch, that gobbler won't be able to drop another pouch for a full in-game day (i.e. 8 real minutes on default settings).
  2. Killing
    If a gobbler has not dropped a pouch within the last full in-game day, then there is a 10% chance it will drop one when killed.  

So, there's no point in killing a gobbler that's given you a pouch within the last 8 real minutes (on default settings) as it will never drop another pouch within this time frame.

During the event, the gobbler spawn chance when picking berry bushes is tripled (from 10% to 30%).  Also, gobblers are attracted towards Gobbler Shrines that are within 6 distance.

Gobbler Shrine
After being built, shrines need to be given a berry bush (any type works) to function.  If no gobblers are present within 16 radius, a functioning shrine will (during daytime) spawn a single gobbler from a random pickable (not diseased, smoldering, or on fire) berry bush that is within 8 radius of the shrine.

7 hours ago, Rellimarual said:

Does the dragon costume do anything, or is it just for fun?

Lucky Beast Hats
You dance when you wear one of these hats.  When dancing, you gain +6.66 sanity/min (on default settings) per piece of a dancing lucky beast within 4 distance of each other.  So, if you have a full lucky beast, each dancing person (i.e. has a dragon hat on) will gain +20 sanity/min (on default settings).  Hats only degrade as you dance; each hat is good for a full in-game day of dancing.

4 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

Are the prefab codes out for stress-testing? My folks want to be let loose and I've got to be really quick.

Here you go:

DRAGONBODYHAT
DRAGONHEADHAT
DRAGONTAILHAT
FIRECRACKERS
LUCKY_GOLDNUGGET
PERDFAN
PERDSHRINE
REDLANTERN
REDPOUCH

3 hours ago, jantonio said:

Would it be ok if the drop chance of the red pouch was a bit more? For example me and my friends killed 21 gobblers just for one pouch.

If you want guaranteed daily red pouches (i.e. a farm), you actually only need one pickable berry bush and one gobbler shrine within 8 radius of each other (in an area without gobblers).  See above for mechanics.

When the shrine spawns a gobbler, herd that gobbler into a pen that is at least 16 radius away from the shrine (so it isn't able to dash for a berry bush at dusk/night and instead will just go to sleep inside the pen).

Then feed each gobbler something on the ground once every 8+ real minutes (on default settings) for a pouch.  If you want to get fancier, put each gobbler in an individual pen, so when you drop food, a single gobbler doesn't try to eat everything.

EDIT:

1 hour ago, TemporaryMan said:

Is there a limit on the number of body segments?  If not, could a large team for a longer dragon lucky beast for faster sanity regen?

Yes, a full beast is one of each piece (3 total/max).  The sanity multiplier is per piece.  So, the max multiplier is only 3 (or +20 sanity/min).

1 hour ago, fimmatek said:

What does it mean "on default settings"? What can we change abaut these costumes?

Default settings as in default world-gen settings.  The sanity/min and real minute values I posted will be different if you changed day/dusk/night lengths.

1 hour ago, fimmatek said:

Another thing that I'd like to know: does anyone know how exactly the new fan works? Because as to my experimences it cools you down like the luxury fan but also creates some whirlwinds (like the weather pain) which destroy nearby structures and may attack the player. But what does it depend on how many, in which direction?...Sometimes it used 55% of the fan's durability at once, but mostly just 22 or 33%.

It's basically a 2-in-1 Weather Pain and Luxury Fan with 9 combined uses.

If the Lucky Fan has at least 33% durability, it will continuously spawn tornados during one fanning animation (so max of 2 tornadoes).  Fanning reduces durability by ~11% per use while each tornado reduces durability by ~22%.  The angles at which tornadoes spawn at are random, but each second tornado spawned on the same fan use will spawn exactly 180 degrees opposite of the direction of the first tornado.

So, for a brand new fan (100% durability):

• First Use:  (100% left)
    Fan (11%) --> 88% left
    Greater than 33% remaining, so generate tornado.
    First Tornado (22%) --> 66% left
    Still greater than 33% remaining, so second tornado.
    Second Tornado (22%) --> 44% left
    Animation over, no more tornadoes.
  • Second Use:  (44% left)
    Fan (11%) --> 33% left
    Exactly 33% left, so generate tornado
    First Tornado (22%) --> 11% left
    Less than 33% left, no more tornadoes
  • Third Use: (11% left)
    Fan (11%) --> 0% left
    Fan used up!
Edited by Instant-Noodles
  • Like 16

2 hours ago, jantonio said:

Would it be ok if the drop chance of the red pouch was a bit more? For example me and my friends killed 21 gobblers just for one pouch.

7 hours ago, CutChemist said:

If you let the gobblers eat a berry off the ground near shrine they drop a pouch 100% of the time, but only one per gobbler so kill it after it drops. I have test this on SUP and so far it works

Thanks to CutChemist we now know the trick! Without him I also couldn't get much lucky gold.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Instant-Noodles said:

Lucky Beast Hats
You dance when you wear one of these hats.  When dancing, you gain +6.66 sanity/min (on default settings) per piece of a dancing lucky beast within 4 distance of each other.  So, if you have a full lucky beast, each dancing person (i.e. has a dragon hat on) will gain +20 sanity/min (on default settings).  Hats only degrade as you dance; each hat is good for a full in-game day of dancing.

Is there a limit on the number of body segments?  If not, could a large team for a longer dragon lucky beast for faster sanity regen?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, fimmatek said:

I think that all this stuff should be on your server unless you changed the event setting to Winter's Feast (or something else). As to a developer (forgot who exactly) every world with event setting "default" will receive all event stuff in its time, turned on and off by Klei.

Thanks a lot for the answer!

12 minutes ago, Instant-Noodles said:

When dancing, you gain +6.66 sanity/min (on default settings)

What does it mean "on default settings"? What can we change abaut these costumes?

Another thing that I'd like to know: does anyone know how exactly the new fan works? Because as to my experimences it cools you down like the luxury fan but also creates some whirlwinds (like the weather pain) which destroy nearby structures and may attack the player. But what does it depend on how many, in which direction?...Sometimes it used 55% of the fan's durability at once, but mostly just 22 or 33%.

New favourite griefing tool non-pvp weapon found! :D 

basedestr.jpg

• Like 7

20 hours ago, TemporaryMan said:

I'm sure I'm not the only one with enough hatred of these birds in my heart to be completely unmoved by their "cuteness."  They don't even look cute to me; all I see is a sworn enemy that escaped justice too many times.

Somehow I'm picturing Woodie saying this

11 hours ago, SamSen said:

11112.gif

Is there a profile side version? The front perspective is obscuring the other parts of the costumes.

• Like 1

I've often thought a nice little touch would be for each character to have their own dance that suits them, rather than everybody doing the same generic kinda-shake-from-side-to-side thing.  But, hey. 

Anyway, all this is adorable, and I'm very glad for this thread to tell me just HOW the freak to get the damn lucky coins.  Now I know what I've been doing wrong.

And I very much like that a holiday from some other culture besides the standard Western/Christian/whatever got into the game.  Not everybody thinks to do that. :D  (Also, I was totally gonna do the match-Don't-Starve-creatures-to-the-Chinese-years thing; not at all surprised somebody beat me to it.  Heh.)

Just for funsies, which is yours?  I was born in the Year of the Catcoon, myself.  ;)

EDIT:  Oh, and I'm hoping the sandstorm is like a weather effect and not a mob attack, myself.  It would make more sense with the name...and also kind of give us the summer version of that blizzard mechanic many have talked about before.

...Notorious

Edited by CaptainChaotica
  • Like 4

On 13/01/2017 at 8:51 AM, minespatch said:

Rat: Glommer (?)

Ox: Nox

Tiger: Catcoon

Rabbit:Beardling

Dragon: Dragonfly

Snake: TunnelWorm

Horse: No Eye Deer

Goat: Volt goat

Money: Spelunky

Rooster <This Year: Year of the Gobbler

Dog      <Next Year:Varg

Pig: Year of Pigmen

ObNOXiously FTFY

4 hours ago, minespatch said:

What's a Nox? The wiki has nothing on it.

And I quote the Beefalo Trader:

My wagon's pulled by a nox. 'Es a good 'un, but 'e can't hold a candle to my old mule, Shadow.

What's a nox? Well, I don't know as I can rightly describe it. It's kinda like an ox, but not.

And that's all we really know!

year of the mule when