[Game Update] - Year of the Gobbler Preview (BETA 202894)

In Chinese there is a cycle of twelve years, each with a different animal.

Rat

Ox

Tiger

Rabbit

Dragon

Snake

Horse

Goat

Monkey

Rooster <This Year: Year of the Gobbler

Dog      <Next Year: ????

Pig

Edited by SamSen
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, JellyUltra said:

The Red Lantern needs a nerf, it has waaay too much durability. Especially since Gobblers (and, by extension, Lucky Gold Nuggets) can be farmed really easily just by putting the Gobbler Shrine + a Powder Cake surrounded by walls in the center of some berry bushes and picking them during the day, so you'll never run out and can just keep crafting more.

Day 1-2 lanterns.

Also turkeys don't drop the sacks of gold nuggets too often so getting a ton of red lanterns will take a long time, also it's another event item so they'll probably get rid of it like Christmas trees/lights.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SamSen said:

Rat

Ox

Tiger

Rabbit

Dragon

Snake

Horse

Goat

Money

Dog      <Next Year: ????

Pig

Rat: Glommer (?)

Ox: Beefalo

Tiger: Catcoon

Rabbit:Beardling

Dragon: Dragonfly

Snake: TunnelWorm

Horse: No Eye Deer

Goat: Volt goat

Money: Spelunky

Dog      <Next Year:Varg

Pig: Year of Pigmen

• Like 8

1 hour ago, GiddyGuy said:

Also turkeys don't drop the sacks of gold nuggets too often so getting a ton of red lanterns will take a long time

DjRU7pU.jpg

It doesn't matter if the sacks are a bit rare when you can make something like this and spam Applied Horticulture a few times for a TON of Gobblers.

Edited by JellyUltra
  • Like 12

10 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Why does the red sack explode?

It just a special effect.

Giving red packets ( or red envelopes) during the Chinese New Year is another famous tradition. Red packets are every child's dream during the Chinese New Year. A red packet is simply a red envelope with money inside to symbolize luck and wealth. Red packets are symbolically handed out to younger generations by parents, grandparents, relatives, close neighbors and friends. The practice represents a desire for good fortune and wealth in the coming year.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, GiddyGuy said:

You have to either kill things or just kill gobblers since the shrines do attact them.

From what i can tell, if the gobbler eats a fruit or vegetable off the ground near the shrine, they will drop a Red Pouch. They seem to be limited to one pouch per gobbler no matter how many fruits or vegetables it eats. I believe I've only seen one drop from actually killing the gobbler but guaranteed drop when it eats something off the ground.

Oh, man, it would be awesome if there was a theme every year, but that would be so much work for the staff. Anyway, my year, year of the dragon, wouldn't happen til another seven years.

Hey, when this get released to the main branch, do you think there will be a comic promoting it, and special event themed skins that rarely drop just like for Hallowed Nights and Winter's Feast?

Edited by ExtollerOfTrolls
  • Like 3

By the way there are some sounds for a creature that is not yet ingame (I suppose it will be out soon enough) .
I'm not going to list them all but the names are like -

Spoiler

Antlion_sandstorm_d2 , antlion_attack_pre1 , antlion_sandblock_v2_1 , antlion_sand_spike_1 , ground_break_A_1 (not sure if this is new but it must be) , sand_short_pre_1

There might be more that I haven't noticed ... Having said that I will wait for this to be Ingame too ...... Can't find the sense to play now only for festival stuff . (cosmetic stuff)

• Like 10

I feel like the antlions will inhibit the ruins and that their drops will be used in the crafting of stuff such as the orange moonlens device shown in the klei stream.

On a different note, I find it ironic that on the year of the gobbler, you're encouraged to go kill gobblers, to get pieces of a dragon costume, because dragons are waaaaaay cooler than noisy birds. 

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, CutChemist said:

If you let the gobblers eat a berry off the ground near shrine they drop a pouch 100% of the time, but only one per gobbler so kill it after it drops. I have test this on SUP and so far it works

this is right, one gobbler can poop just one pouch per day, I think that the shrine increases the spawn chance of the gobblers.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TemporaryMan said:

I'm sure I'm not the only one with enough hatred of these birds in my heart to be completely unmoved by their "cuteness."  They don't even look cute to me; all I see is a sworn enemy that escaped justice too many times.

How ironic, then, that the shrine will set things right at last.  Oh yes it will.

oh my god i feel the same way.....