3 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

adolescent blonde girls?

she is considered a kid at around 11

3 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

Do people really specialize in Wendy?

*raises hand* right here babe.

well skins initially were just to make things look differnt so we dont got sets of the same character. But ive gotten all the sets for her so far currently liking a combo look of the floppy hat with wendy's goh hence my avatar

had to post again cause new page and couldnt get these quotes going

2 hours ago, Mikeadatrix said:

Maybe it's because she's cute on the outside and soul-less on the inside..

well klei has been adding a bit more sweet quotes to her to make it seem that having people around in together is making her less dark and more open!

2 hours ago, MeingroessterFan said:

Yeah, I don't see why everyone loves Wendy so much either. I mean sure, Abigail is useful, but she's not as useful as being friends with spiders, or being a beaver, or having a beard. 

you just dont know how to tap into her powers yet

2 hours ago, Arlesienne said:

Exactly. Wes is great over the general design of not having obvious perks. Here, only the skill of the player matters.

And his sex-appeal. Don't judge me. I'm a weak woman.

unknown.png

I started a Wes run after these posts, and the game gave me some badass pink clothes :|. Worth it, I guess...

Survivor headband would match me sooooo good. Gifts are welcome.

587QvFAU1.jpg

I mained Wendy in DS (though I played that less), and keep trying to get used to different characters in DST, but I always end up going back to her. A few different reasons actually.
She's serious and is kind of a downer, which gets me in the mood to be the same way and then suddenly say something out of place. Maximum comedic effect.
Cute, in contrast with the fact that this small child can exterminate entire species from the world effortlessly, and if anyone among the characters turned out to become a serial killer, I feel like it'd be her. That and I just really like cute things.
Abigail's nice to have around. Constantly following and helping. Even when noone else is around, she makes the world feel a little less desolate. And the way she protects her sister so aggressively is adorable...though probably terrifying to the other characters.

Also, I have kind of a personal trope that's been going on for quite a while regarding my association with small, usually blond female characters that have more power than they should be allowed to. I write things, they naturally pop up. I play games, I gravitate in their direction...cept Skyrim, but that's just because making it look right in that world is a bit troublesome.
Maybe it's something to do with light colors, small stature and femininity being stereotypical angelic traits, while the other traits are rather demonic.

For the most part, I guess I just really like ridiculous opposites being combined. She embodies that quite well.

I personally don't play Wendy that often because there's usually at least 3 around already and I don't like to pile on. But just by looking at the available mods for DST you can tell the fan base is quite saturated with weebs, and she is easily the most anime-friendly character out of the bunch. Note to self: change profile picture ASAP.

1 hour ago, JohaneBrote said:

I personally don't play Wendy that often because there's usually at least 3 around already and I don't like to pile on.

This happens with me on public servers, and even on a friend servers, and since I don't like to dupe either, it makes maining Wendy somewhat annoying. So I usually only play Wendy on my own server, or if there is the rare occasion there isn't any on a public.

3 hours ago, JohaneBrote said:

I don't like to pile on.

thats why you should buy a skin to justify you are the main of that character....... tbh thats how i felt like buying all 3 for the first time.

why do you think people spend so much time in a game to earn a cosmetic of specific items or buy them its just to show they are serious about that gun or character. Least thats how I feel

On 12/2/2016 at 1:36 PM, ShadowDuelist said:

I agree with 2 of the theories previously mentioned, and I think its a mix of both at the same time:

• Beginner friendly character: there are always a lot of wendy's on most servers, and I think the reason is that most people think kiting is hard/impossible when they start and Abigail will solve all their fightning needs (For a beginner being able to kill the early hound attacks and occasional spiders is more than enough)
  • She's a "cute sweet looking, but dark inside" kinda character which makes many people like her. Paired with the fact that for many people she's "they only character they survive fights with", it makes her quite popular, if not the most popular character.

There have been polls about characters popularity in different threads here over the months, and Wendy was not selected as one of the most popular ones. And I believe that's because we, the people of these forums, do not represent the majority of players: most casual players that fit within ONLY the two reasons stated above, are not a part of these forums community (Most of us that are here, is because we're not that casual about the game)

Of course you can like Wendy for these and any other reasons, and still be a decent player, Im not implying Wendy is just a "noob character" by any means, do not get me wrong. I'm just saying it does appeal many of the new or casual players.

I agree. She can be rather strong in fields such as cleaning lone spider dens and beehives, then you've got the caves, where Abigail is at the peak of her strength. Like with Wilson, Wigfrid and to a good extent Wickerbottom, Wendy's downside is pretty negligible.

On 12/2/2016 at 1:50 PM, EsaiXD said:

she is considered a kid at around 11

*raises hand* right here babe.

well skins initially were just to make things look differnt so we dont got sets of the same character. But ive gotten all the sets for her so far currently liking a combo look of the floppy hat with wendy's goh hence my avatar

Apart from not being happy about the "babe" part :evil:...

She's clearly a preteen, yes, so fits what I wrote. Not quite certain what you're getting at.

On 12/2/2016 at 1:56 PM, EsaiXD said:

had to post again cause new page and couldnt get these quotes going

well klei has been adding a bit more sweet quotes to her to make it seem that having people around in together is making her less dark and more open!

you just dont know how to tap into her powers yet

I believe Milord is somewhat teasing you, but it's his duty to announce it ;).

On 12/2/2016 at 5:45 PM, Pyr0mrcow said:

I mained Wendy in DS (though I played that less), and keep trying to get used to different characters in DST, but I always end up going back to her. A few different reasons actually.
She's serious and is kind of a downer, which gets me in the mood to be the same way and then suddenly say something out of place. Maximum comedic effect.
Cute, in contrast with the fact that this small child can exterminate entire species from the world effortlessly, and if anyone among the characters turned out to become a serial killer, I feel like it'd be her. That and I just really like cute things.
Abigail's nice to have around. Constantly following and helping. Even when noone else is around, she makes the world feel a little less desolate. And the way she protects her sister so aggressively is adorable...though probably terrifying to the other characters.

Also, I have kind of a personal trope that's been going on for quite a while regarding my association with small, usually blond female characters that have more power than they should be allowed to. I write things, they naturally pop up. I play games, I gravitate in their direction...cept Skyrim, but that's just because making it look right in that world is a bit troublesome.
Maybe it's something to do with light colors, small stature and femininity being stereotypical angelic traits, while the other traits are rather demonic.

For the most part, I guess I just really like ridiculous opposites being combined. She embodies that quite well.

This is something I greatly enjoyed reading: such a good analysis. I suppose people do find it appealing; Wendy has the misfortune of balancing the closest to lolitas and anime spawn of darkness out of the vanillas. Then there's Abigail - and the sensation of loneliness in DST, especially amplified by how you usually play it with people... Wendy has Abigail, Woodie has Lucy.

On 12/2/2016 at 7:09 PM, Sinister_Fang said:

Really? I always thought the creepy mime would be the one to kill everyone in some of the most bizarre ways possible.

Hehe, that's one of the stereotypes, but having a girl some put into a party dress with puffy sleeves go genocidal is a classic :D!

On 12/2/2016 at 7:14 PM, JohaneBrote said:

I personally don't play Wendy that often because there's usually at least 3 around already and I don't like to pile on. But just by looking at the available mods for DST you can tell the fan base is quite saturated with weebs, and she is easily the most anime-friendly character out of the bunch. Note to self: change profile picture ASAP.

That. Exactly that. I see many of them.

On 12/2/2016 at 9:06 PM, Zeklo said:

This happens with me on public servers, and even on a friend servers, and since I don't like to dupe either, it makes maining Wendy somewhat annoying. So I usually only play Wendy on my own server, or if there is the rare occasion there isn't any on a public.

Now you have one of the reasons for me playing Willow when only vanillas are available - I know nobody will take the poor girl, and they may suddenly need the crutch called Bernie :twisted:.

On 12/2/2016 at 9:55 PM, DarithD said:

I'm more or less suprised by the lack of Wendy, we need MORE than 5-7 around.

and yes, i'm serious.

That's... cute.

On 12/2/2016 at 10:52 PM, EsaiXD said:

thats why you should buy a skin to justify you are the main of that character....... tbh thats how i felt like buying all 3 for the first time.

why do you think people spend so much time in a game to earn a cosmetic of specific items or buy them its just to show they are serious about that gun or character. Least thats how I feel

Pardon, how does one show they are the main of the character? Hosts aside, suppose you enter a public server - how do you assume you're the main Wendy etc. around? And the aspect of earning cosmetics in DST only applies to loyal tier items, like the tragic torch or the firepit skins. These, you actually had to work for. Others can be bought or drop randomly. My wyvernling skin from yesterday's game says nothing about the fact I've never even crafted a broodling...

I agree about skins showing your affinity for characters. it's worth it to have a nice skin for my main.

Wendy is my go-to if there's already too many Wigfrids. Don't write off Abigail, spider farming goes so much quicker with her there. 

I do hate going into swamps with Wendy, though, since Abigail annoyingly picks fights with tentacles.

ITT: wendy best or worse

I mean, I don't hate Wendy, her abilities are pretty cool for killing lots of squishy stuff like spiders and bees plus the sanity is nice. But man, I just can't play her cus shes such a downer. Like I get it, your sister is dead as heck but damn, shes like 10x better as a ghost then she was alive I bet!

Her speech just irritates me, she just relates everything to death and stuff. "Oh man these petals are DEAD", "this bundle of twigs OH MAN THEY DEAD TOO!" I know she's supposed to be all sad cus her sister but it feels like shes just trying to hard :>.

There is only 1 reason her skins are so high all the time and why she is so popular.

ASIAN PLAYERS!

If you look at Triumphant Wendy history (if there are those prices from beginning) 98% of those purchases were made from asian players (mainly Chinese) and that was 60$+. This is it. Without asian players she would be at "same" popularity as other characters IMO

3 hours ago, t0panka said:

There is only 1 reason her skins are so high all the time and why she is so popular.

ASIAN PLAYERS!

I posted that before, and I got an admin warning and my post got deleted. I don't really know why, but caution is advised. Also the guy who quoted me was deleted. :|

Just in case I get a revenge ban this time, love you guys and good starvings. :|

On the flip side, I think Wicker doesn't get played that often, despite her valuable abilities, for the superficial reason the she's an "old lady." Whenever I encounter someone playing as her on a public server, I tend to assume they're an experienced, serious player--even more than with Wes because a lot of tedious joker types seem fond of him.

I just gravatate to characters with low stats like wilbur,wes, maxwell but thats just when I play games in genral not for the challege but just because I like seeing low numbers though not too low because i'm not a glutton for hard mode. Also MINIONS 

Archived