Character Rebalance Discussion thread

I see so many people wanting Wolfgang and Wes to stay the same. I really disagree with that. Each character should have something special about them that would make people want to play as them. Especially in the case of Wes.I don't want Wes to be less difficult. I just want him to have at least one special, positive quality.

big thumbs up!!

Just finished WX, and clarified some things in the OP.

Starting on Wes. Poor, useless Wes.

Positives:

[*]Has an unlimited store of balloons in his pocket. He can blow them up to make balloon animals (probably to a max number at once). They are pretty, and monsters might attack them.

Made up some perks for Wes :)

Positive:

Can make a balloon animal to distract monsters(has a cooldown)

Yes,yeeees! Ahahahah! Oh I love it! *continues to laugh like a maniac*

400 max health for WX?! 0_o 15 gears is like, just one trip through the 'portato. Two if you needs lots of fridges. Guess 600-million-dollar-man is more like it. I was thinking it'd be like MAYBE +100 health, more likely +50, at a rate of like 2-3 per gear. Wow.

Just finished WX, and clarified some things in the OP.Starting on Wes. Poor, useless Wes.

Better stats than Wolfy in the end, and free light and speed bonus for a day? That just made him the best choice for now. Unless...how much damage during rain are we talking about?

WES HAS BALLOONS NOW! I HAVN'T UNLOCKED HIM, BUT NOW I WANT TOOO!!!!! willow HAS A LIGHTER, F*CK YEA! WX CAN BE UPGRADED WITH GEARS AND LIGHTNING! AWESOMECan you give willow a teddybear too? like you have a chance to dig it up in one of the graves? and if willow gets it, she can shoot fire balls?

• Developer

So, the numbers (like wx's upgrade bonuses) are really just best guesses at this point. I'm going to need a bunch of people on the publicpreview branch in two weeks to help me tune them.

Heres one more for WesInvisible barrier. We all have seen mimes make those walls with thier hands and try to push on them etc. Well how about we give Wes the same sort of thing but in this case it actually makes a wall. What it does is if Wes starts to take damage and his HP drops below 25% he automatically makes a barrier around him. This can protect him while you heal or craft a quick log suit etc. The barrier can only sustain a small amount of hits before it is destroyed. Maybe 100hp.

I gotta say, people will complain so much about Wx78 in the future, im not stating that this way of rebalancing him is not good, it is awesome, by far him will be the most unique char to play. And looks like there is no one safe, run for the hills!

It is funny, WX in that incarnation is almost simultaneously the weakest and strongest character at the same time. Starts at 100 across the board? That's worse than Wes, though without the damage and hunger weaknesses. If rabbits still go beardling at 80 santiy....it doesn't take long to lose 20 sanity. Definitely won't be jumping into Cold Reception without significant prep time. Considering how rough his start might be, the rewards are probably worth it. Considering that you always get the clockworks in groups of 4 (8 gears), that means you'll almost immediately go from 100 to 240 or so health , if you keep a gear for a fridge. That's of course not considering grave gears. So if you can survive that initial rough spell and manage to defeat the clockworks, you'll be sitting pretty. He'll come out of Game is Afoot a God.

Edited by brummbar7

It is funny, WX in that incarnation is almost simultaneously the weakest and strongest character at the same time. Starts at 100 across the board? That's worse than Wes, though without the damage and hunger weaknesses. If rabbits still go beardling at 80 santiy....it doesn't take long to lose 20 sanity. Definitely won't be jumping into Cold Reception without significant prep time. Considering how rough his start might be, the rewards are probably worth it. Considering that you always get the clockworks in groups of 4 (8 gears), that means you'll almost immediately go from 100 to 240 or so health , if you keep a gear for a fridge. That's of course not considering grave gears. So if you can survive that initial rough spell and manage to defeat the clockworks, you'll be sitting pretty. He'll come out of Game is Afoot a God.

i'm not sure about this gear idea. 8 gears from clockworks minus 1 for an ice box leaves 7. You need 15 gears max to be god mode. Digging up graves for gears is a 1 in 7 chance. That is a pretty high odd. So unless everyone is happy to save just before they dig up a grave and quit then load the save file if no gear drops then its kind of messed up. However maybe its intended for that. We arent supposed to max his stats.Kevin mentioned lava caves. This gave me an idea. Maybe we can craft or obtain gears deep in the lava cave? Like a black smithing place or the lava is obviously so hot metal in the walls are transformed into gears when an earthquake or fissure occurs? Edited by J20hawkz

i'm not sure about this gear idea. 8 gears from clockworks minus 1 for an ice box leaves 7. You need 15 gears max to be god mode. Digging up graves for gears is a 1 in 7 chance. That is a pretty high odd. So unless everyone is happy to save just before they dig up a grave and quit then load the save file if no gear drops then its kind of messed up. However maybe its intended for that. We arent supposed to max his stats.

There are people who used the teleportato in the first week. So there's that,

There are people who used the teleportato in the first week. So there's that,

Yeah there is that too :)But what about if you dont want to leave the map, just to get gears. There should be more ways no? There are graves but I already gave my opinion on that.

If the numbers will still be that high, then there shouldn't be any easy ways to get gears. Want to be god mode? Gotta work for it. Though i can still see people caring only about the gears and not the map. I mean, if you leave early, chances are you haven't seen anything appealing on the map yet. If you don't leave early, you'll get bored sooner or later and use the teleportato anyway. You're still gonna get powerful. Question is you wanna be so sooner or later?I wonder if gears eaten in adventure mode count...

I like what you've done so far! I think everything should stay as is, and good job on not touching wilson! here are some ideas I have for the others:

Wendy: Maybe an item that summons abigail instead of randomness? i think this makes it better, but the item should have some days for a cool-down. I think you should be able to spawn her in daytime, and Wendy should have no penalty from digging graves, but ghosts are more frequent. Another negative should be she loses sanity 1.4 x faster or something, because shes just a little girl.

Wolfgang: I think wolfgangs positives are good, but maybe he shouldn't have a stronger melee damage, and instead have some sort of weight that boosts it temporarily, or just starts off with a weapon that doesnt break but is like a SLIGHT variant of the spear. or maybe a special craftable that only he is strong enough to use that does AOE Damage, like a marble hammer. A negative i think would be he cant run as fast while he has the hammer equipped, or his strength-boosting weights are anywheere in his inventory.

Wickerbottom: I think wickerbottom could make books out of papyrus or somethign and read them to boost sanity. you can only read/write in them once, after that she refuses to read the same book again, so you can burn them for a small fuel for your fires. I cant really think of a negative actually...

You're not really intended to max out wx on a single world. You have to *really* want it :)

I really WANT it! Thanks for clearing it up. Appreciate how well you respond to comments. Best customer service I have seen in any game :)

Hey Kevin, take my Ideas for Wes too!Wes:Positives: That Balloon Animal thing.-So Silent, he has much better chances with the Bush hat, and the other hiding items.Negatives:What you haveWickerbottom:Positives:-Gets a Sanity boost from being near Science Machines and Alchemy Engines-Same as beforeNegatives:-Loses Sanity from Using Magical Items.-Does less damageWolfgang:Positives:-Is able to lift Boulders and move them.-Higher Health and Hunger.Negatives:-Has lower Sanity.-Unable to use Blueprints.Wendy:Positives:-Does not lose Sanity from being near Ghosts-Abigail will spawn on Half Moons, and sometimes, rise from graves. (Does not need to be dug).Negatives:-Has lower Sanity

I really like the idea of "advanced prototyping" for Wickerbottom, there's no reason for her to build a shadow manipulator so this works out well. (also it would be cool if she could craft blueprints? like a whole bunch of papyrus makes a random blueprint for something you haven't prototyped?)Also all these ideas on Wendy being able to know when Abigail appears/summon her, because this would be super helpful and make her worth playing more. (also maybe less sanity loss from digging up graves? she seems pretty ok with death in general so it shouldn't shake her as much?)I don't really have any comment on Wolfgang, seeing as I haven't really played him. But like maybe more durability loss on weapons? since he hits harder maybe the weapon should lose as much durability as it would take to have the same damage done with the other characters? If that makes any sense? Like it takes 4 hits for Wolfgang to take down such and such, but 6 hits for the others, so instead of losing the 4 hit percent durability with Wolfgang it loses the 6 hit durability?Other then that, all the rest of the balances sound super cool and I'm looking forward to them.

Kevin, I really feel Wes is getting the short straw, while all other gets a "major" re-work Wes gets balloons and that is it. WX and Willow has these interesting systems while Wes is rather bland.Just letting you know my opinion~