Don't Starve Together Roadmap 2023

35 minutes ago, slendyproject said:

Oh yeah let me just use a shirt that protects against overheating instead of the backpack to carry 3 different ways of dealing with it with plenty of room left to spare for whatever else I need.

Present an actual argument.

I would still not wear the shirt even with extra equip slots 

1 hour ago, slendyproject said:

So why dont "veterans" want the extra slots again? Do we just want most body slot items to never be used by anyone? Or is it just elitists that pretend that having belt of hunger on with a backpack will somehow break the game?

we just want the game to be played as it was intended, and we don't want to make it easier. EES definitely makes it easier by making it possible to have 95% of defense with 14 more inventory slots.

you use items depending on your gameplay style, so if you don't use a rain coat but use a belt of hunger instead of a backpack - that's your freakin' business.

man, this topic literally became a poopstorm because some artist in Klei decided to make a wilson wearing both armor and a backpack for whatever reason he had in his mind.

Just now, Starlogy said:

I will not deny backpacks are good, they're great for the earlygame scenario where you need to gather as much Manure.png.1687a6bcbfc16a59dd6179805fc2c547.png as possible. When you're approaching the point where resource collecting is on the backburner, using something like a Magiluninesence or Hibearnation Vest can really help with moving around the map more efficiently (not eating or stopping for warmth as much or just simply walking faster). Body armor is also very useful, you can continue to wear a hat of your choice while still being provided protection from damage.

There are also lots of simply useless body accessories such as the Dapper Vest (when was the last time you've seen ANYONE wear this??). I just want you to be aware that a backpack is not the end-all answer to every situation like you think it is.

Its certainly not the be all end all but considering that the upcoming updates aim to improve new player experience I think that something needs to be done about all the body slot items that the game presents as legitimate options. For new players these are a minefield ranging from suboptimal to detrimental to make.

And even if we ignore that, its fine to have better and worse options but some of these are like comparing a skateboard against a spaceship the power gap is just way too huge.

I didnt mention magi because that one provides something that the backpack cant really carry a different solution to making it an actually useful option.

1 hour ago, slendyproject said:

So why dont "veterans" want the extra slots again?

1 - Part of the challange is the fact u have to choose. U want to kite in a more consistent way or u want extra protection? Magiluminescence or night armor? Will depend of the character, will depend of the situation [night and caves night armor + moogles can be more fluid than crowns + magi cuz extra field of view is key to deal with shadow swarms] 

2 - The fact people are way too dependent of backpacks speaks for itself - no one want to give up about stuff when its a survival game and sometimes u should have to deal with a situation when u can carry only the basics. I do want more situations which u have to drop backpack and be. Inventory management and greed is also gameplay. Before beefalo update I used chester + clothes [like rain coat for spring, puffy vest for winter] a lot. And it worked just fine. Now beefs are way too good to no have one and piggybacks is like, not only a luxury, is a previlege.

3 - The game would be way too easy to have an amulet and an armor in the same time. Or clothes and a backpack. Its just say "I dont care" for weather. Eternal autumm.

1 hour ago, dzzydzzy said:

they just need to give these clothes pockets

This

57 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

man, this topic literally became a poopstorm because some artist in Klei decided to make a wilson wearing both armor and a backpack for whatever reason he had in his mind.

I was cackling this turned out so quickly

32 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

we just want the game to be played as it was intended, and we don't want to make it easier. EES definitely makes it easier by making it possible to have 95% of defense with 14 more inventory slots.

you use items depending on your gameplay style, so if you don't use a rain coat but use a belt of hunger instead of a backpack - that's your freakin' business.

But even you have failed to address the elephant in the room.. You want the game to stay largely the same as it always has (the roadmap even mentions there are people in this mindset) 

Meanwhile Klei also mentions a better early-game for newer players, or better yet just new Non-Late game Content for people like myself who is definitely not a new player by any means & simply just enjoys starting brand new worlds after about 200/300 days in.

While also mentioning some more difficult stuff for Mid-Late Game. 

The roadmap literally outlines Easier, Harder & Staying the Same..

So let’s Address the Actual Elephant in the Room- it will be absolutely Impossible for Klei to achieve that without providing the players with “Options” of how they prefer to play & this point: I should probably be the advocate for World Gen Settings, but the point is-

We have features like spawning into a world with starting resources if you join in an already in progress world, or you also have options to disable this Assistive feature.

This allows people like myself who enjoy a good challenge to spawn into a world that’s permanently locked at 24/7 Summer or Winter and STILL enjoy the challenge of “just trying to survive long enough to get the gear required to survive longer with”

However by default: This starting Resources is now turned ON.. so players will spawn into for example a world already in Spring, and get free rain gear.

I just gave an excellent example of how Klei massively made the game easier for newbies, while at the same time- allowing options that changed nothing for people who never asked for or wanted the assist.

You can have 40% damage Reduction, or 40% Damage Increase.

Im pretty sure Klei can clearly see that the ONLY way they’re gonna be able to make the game easier, harder, & stay exactly the same.. is with these menus of choices.

And personally? I wouldn’t mind being able to equip armor+ backpack at the same time, as long as there was still an option to toggle it off if I don’t want it on.

You can toggle settings that tells the game to let players “keep” their inventory when logging out, or “drop inventory” when logging out.

As long as there is “Options” Klei can quite literally go nuts adding things that make their game easier, & harder, and largely untouched.

But trying to balance all of them out evenly at once into a single play-through? Impossible..

I was hoping the new roadmap would reveal if game changing features such as ELEVATION would ever be brought to DST.. or if there are plans for SW/HAM compatibility those would have been something I would be hugely excited for.

Or if they’ll conclude the story arcs for Gorge/Forge/RoT

I suppose though that they’d wanna keep the big stuff like that a secret if it were to happen so they can surprise us later.. 

I can see both sides of the backpack argument, honestly. I'm tentatively on the 'No EES' side, but only because I'm an older player who has that ingrained in my head as a easy mode cheat mod. But with more stuff being introduced all the time and most characters now having extra resources they want to carry around anyways, I can also see EES being more justified. So I'm mostly neutral on it.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I was hoping the new roadmap would reveal if game changing features such as ELEVATION would ever be brought to DST.. or if there are plans for SW/HAM compatibility those would have been something I would be hugely excited for.

I kind of feel like this one is semi-addressed. Like they're taking parts of SW already, and snippets of Hamlet and implementing them this whole time... just with twists. The ocean itself is treading on SW's turf majorly. Sure it's different, but it feels to me like it's grabbing things and remaking them in a DST way rather than a direct import. Wonkey, for example, is very clearly Wilbur, just DST version. The waterlogged biome uses the canopy effect you see in Hamlet. The Year of the X shrines are kind of similar to Hamlet's shops with their own currency.

Now excuse me while I wait impatiently for the lore video because KLei's animations and storytelling are fantastic. Also appreciate how the devs are, despite everything, still so amazingly receptive to community feedback.

2 hours ago, slendyproject said:

The point is that the backpack literally does the job 10 times better while doing other things. Eyebrella is irrelevant because we are talking about body slots.

Either way present an argument for the vest. Or keep assuming that I always carry a backpack full of thermal stones and whatnot  and not demonstrating a point if that makes you feel better.

Hibearnation vest + beefalo hat will keep you warm way longer than a thermal stone would.

3 hours ago, Cruvimaster said:

Items that are good but nobody uses because of the backpack: Hibearnation Vest, Belt of Hunger and Floral Shirt.

No body items Klei makes will be useful in gameplay for this reason.

Have you tried using these when you are at sea? they are actually quite useful for long trips or doing stuff around the base, in a way these items encourage a different style of play, perhaps you just don't find them interesting which is totally fine, but to say they are useless could not be further from the case.

7 hours ago, JoeW said:

We have a few areas that we want to focus on to accomplish this. In terms of content, we plan to delve deeper into the stories surrounding Charlie and Wagstaff, and explore the impact of their actions on The Constant. The introduction of late-game world challenges will change The Constant in ways that players will need to adapt to, either by working with or against them. This will also provide Survivors with the opportunity to discover new resources and items that will be vital for their survival as they progress throughout all areas of the game.

So you are basicslly adding Terraria like "Hard mode" into DST?

Neato!

Oh quick question, its a two part-er...

1. will these new images become vignettes in game?
  2. Is there a larger version of these we might be able to use as backgrounds?
  3. (nothing else here to add other than I think these are FANTASTIC pieces, bless those artist.) 

4 hours ago, slendyproject said:

So why dont "veterans" want the extra slots again? Do we just want most body slot items to never be used by anyone? Or is it just elitists that pretend that having belt of hunger on with a backpack will somehow break the game?

Because for years it worked in a counter-intuitive way in mods

Hand, Body, Head, Backpack

Anyone over the age of three can see that one of them is not in the same league as the other three

5 hours ago, slendyproject said:

A friend Ive been trying to get into the game keeps telling me that the combat is unfun because he gets destroyed by even a single hound. Ive both tried to explain and show them both in game and in video form how to kite but it doesnt seem to have an effect. So now he is only willing to play wendy and wait for the ghost to kill things. (Im convinced that attack animations are not clear enough for new players to understand.)

He also wasnt even able to leave the base during winter because "he lost half his HP to cold" after I gave him a winter hat, a thermal stone and explained that he can just burn things to get warm. And this experience roughly translates to the two other friends ive tried to play the game with as well.

Honestly its been too long for me to remember what my early experience with dont starve was, but from what im seeing, new players are not having a good time.

Same experience. I've been trying to convince my sister to play with me but she finds the game overwhelming to understand for new players on what to do exactly. I try to explain what things to do to avoid dying etc but dying constantly on things she can't easily understand as a new player doesn't make her want to play and come back.

When I first started out I found it hard to keep up with my friends as I was clueless and kept dying. So I had to read up on guides on the net to understand what's this and what's that. Before I kept eating all mushrooms and realized it causes sanity to drain (green mushrooms) and then my player died early in game. I loved the look and style of the game so I kept playing and slowly understand how it works. But it's hard to entice new players to join when their first experience isn't that good and will need to rely on learning the game reading up on it first or just keep dying and trying again and again (which isn't fun for new players).

So I am hopeful the new player update would be good so I can encourage new players to get back in the game and play.

5 hours ago, Mr Giggio said:

3 - The game would be way too easy to have an amulet and an armor in the same time.

I think most people only want one slot for their backpack, leaving the other one just for armor or amulet or vest, not both at the same time. It doesn't have to be the same as the Extra Equip Slots mod. Having to drop the backpack on the ground is one of the most annoying and weird mechanics I've seen out of any game I've ever played, especially on public servers in this one. Also, all the vests for the body slot that are interesting, but not enough to replace backpacks.

31 minutes ago, Castiliano said:

I think most people only want one slot for their backpack, leaving the other one just for armor or amulet or vest, not both at the same time. It doesn't have to be the same as the Extra Equip Slots mod. Having to drop the backpack on the ground is one of the most annoying and weird mechanics I've seen out of any game I've ever played, especially on public servers in this one. Also, all the vests for the body slot that are interesting, but not enough to replace backpacks.

On that note: they could simply “lock” the slots of the backpack until you unequip the Armor, but having to drop your pack at all in a Multiplayer game makes me very cautious of actually playing with other people.

Archived