Don't Starve Together Roadmap 2023

17 minutes ago, Ardcrumb said:

If I'm given the choice between wagstaff and Charlie I'm going wagstaff all the way, literally has w in the name

W = Good
No but seriously I really like Wagstaff as a character, not only is he present throughout quite a few places in the game's lore, he's also becoming more and more important.
Also he is playable in singleplayer DS which is cool please klei give playable wagstaff for me specifically because that'd make so much sense for real on jod

47 minutes ago, gamehun20 said:

because the person who became wx is now wx not the person they were before and wagstaff was mentioned in the roadmap and also they don't have the weird hair(see how it's not poking up at the top)

image.thumb.png.feae2a8b5bf74bb5f89943ef333b1345.png

You have a point

Do you think the new story with wagstaff and Charlie will be something that new players can access without having to do the RoT and NR? The story can still be challenging like not beginner friendly just wondering if new players will get to experience (or try to) it. If not that's fine and I could totally see it but just curious... 

12 hours ago, slendyproject said:

I wonder if this means that we will be able to pick a side between the two in some form.

Sounds like it! That tiny bit is one of the most intriguing parts of the whole roadmap for me. 

The other part being these new features. Elevation would be so sickk. 

these roots seems a little odd, maybe the crossover will be something involving plants? 
about the late game changes, i think it will be something involving nightmares and sanity since we received some related items in the beta, like pure-horror and dreadstones;

image.png

5 hours ago, MostMerryTomcat said:

So.. I suppose this
roadmap3.png.286ed67200b9bf69796bd25252d24511.png
is a "prelude" for Elevation? Would be a good way to go further with Constant's topography and biomes.

ELEVATION is one of the biggest things I want in DST. (Aside from SW/HAM compatibility) I don’t think people grasp how big of a change Elevation would actually be.. the only reasons I can think that Klei HASN’T done this yet is it will massively upset the Megabasers who don’t want their 5000+ day builds messed up with sudden Elevation in land masses.

However- this type of world Gen (as well as Archipelago Islands style world Gen) should be an OPTION for how your biomes will spawn in Freshly Created Worlds just like how you can set land branches to always loop, never loop, or Random.

23 hours ago, slendyproject said:

new players are not having a good time.

Another reason for this could be that an experienced player was why they bought Don't Starve.

When you see your newbie friend struggling, you want to help them. But it is very easy to encourage dependence for them towards you. And as soon as you stop helping them, they die and come to the conclusion that they just do not like the game, not that they need to try again.

I have had a experiences like you. I managed to convince a few of my friends to buy Don't Starve Together. I made the mistake of making them reliant on me. One of them just gave up and deleted the game after joining in winter, only to try again several months later to delete the game AGAIN after encountering a hound wave when I wasn't around.

Another would try again here and there over the period of several months. And everytime he did, he would constantly message me asking for advice for every little thing. He did not think to learn on his own.

Even if I completely avoided teaching them, they still wouldn't have liked it because they gotten Don't Starve TOGETHER because of me. And now I won't even play with them, so from their perspective, what is even the point of forcing themselves to play game that they don't care about?

I regret encouraging to buy the game. I have unintentionally conditioned them to never figure out how to survive on their own. And now, they will never enjoy Don't Starve.

On 3/14/2023 at 6:51 PM, slendyproject said:

A friend Ive been trying to get into the game keeps telling me that the combat is unfun because he gets destroyed by even a single hound. Ive both tried to explain and show them both in game and in video form how to kite but it doesnt seem to have an effect. So now he is only willing to play wendy and wait for the ghost to kill things. (Im convinced that attack animations are not clear enough for new players to understand.)

He also wasnt even able to leave the base during winter because "he lost half his HP to cold" after I gave him a winter hat, a thermal stone and explained that he can just burn things to get warm. And this experience roughly translates to the two other friends ive tried to play the game with as well.

Honestly its been too long for me to remember what my early experience with dont starve was, but from what im seeing, new players are not having a good time.

I don't really see that as difficulty those problems come from the game not teaching you to kite or methods to stay warm and that's really the beginning and end of the difficulty if you don't seek it out. I'm not trying to knock the game I love it infact but they don't teach you the core basics and this is what hurts most new players imagine how much better the average new player's experience would be if the game made this information readily available and made a area where new players can practice kiting risk free alongside a tutorial that explained thevery concept. Yes they can look it up but being told how kiting works doesn't always help as much as doing themself with gudiance.

On 3/14/2023 at 10:43 PM, JoeW said:

And what about the newer players?
Something that we have seen time and time again is that some newer players have a hard time understanding what they should be doing, or where they should be going and may become frustrated or miss a lot of content if they don’t know what else is out there for them. With this in mind, we are going to work toward making it a bit easier to understand what should be happening in the game without necessarily making the game easier. 

I think this will help new players out alot. I dont know what exactly you have planed, but I think game needs like a in-game tutorial, where you can learn basic things. Surviving first night, making tier 1 science station, collecting some resources and crafting some basic items and etc.

1 minute ago, Mysterious box said:

I don't really see that as difficulty those problems come from the game not teaching you to kite or methods to stay warm and that's really the beginning and end of the difficulty if you don't seek it out. I'm not trying to knock the game I love it infact but they don't teach you the core basics and this is what hurts most new players imagine how much better the average new player's experience would be if the game made this information readily available and made a area where new players can practice kiting risk free alongside a tutorial that explained thevery concept. Yes they can look it up but being told how kiting works doesn't always help as much as doing themself with gudiance.

Something a lot of people overlook, but KLEI has not.. is World Gen Settings.. if X or Y is too Hard: The player struggling with it can turn it off. This is largely one of the biggest reasons I fell in love with the Dont Starve Franchise, If a certain mob, mechanic or feature annoyed me too much, I could turn it OFF.

And admit it: Just about every single one of you is guilty of using it! (Most commonly used to turn off Wildfires)

The thing is: You have to actually PLAY the game on Default to know what you like & don’t like about it.

(You can’t toggle off Spiders without knowing you’ll need them later for their silk & healing glands)

But get ripped apart by 20+ hounds constantly and you’ll quickly find the “less” or “none” options on them.

I had the very unfortunate experience of toggling my season lengths to Shortest, and Giants to Tons- (shortest being about 6 days per season..) What this effectively did was throw a Deerclops in my base every couple hours- to the point that I ended up absolutely sick of its entire existence and groaned every time I’d hear it’s heavy breathing.. I eventually learned the hard way to turn this boss “OFF” when season lengths are set to shortest, and after I had killed it for its crafts & no longer needed it to exist, I could toggle him/her OFF.

People overlook these features because they aren’t “Standard DS” but then again.. neither is the “Relaxed Mode” Klei added not too long ago.

42 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

ELEVATION is one of the biggest things I want in DST. (Aside from SW/HAM compatibility) I don’t think people grasp how big of a change Elevation would actually be.. the only reasons I can think that Klei HASN’T done this yet is it will massively upset the Megabasers who don’t want their 5000+ day builds messed up with sudden Elevation in land masses.

Not at all - if anything, elevation would make in theory "mega-basing" play-style even more fun, with a variety of new options. I reckon reason why elevation wasn't implemented in past had to be technical. I get from your recurrent posts you don't fancy such play-style, but rest assured Mike: whatever will be the future of DST, "mega-basing" is here to stay. Also will help you for sure if you'll cast aside that "hey, the grapes on branches high up there where I can't reach clearly are sour" attitude of yours; yes, consoles can't easily make proper/evenly-placed structures for an overall beautiful & soothing base result, but that's not a reason to denigrate end-game content relate to DST's Sandbox facet. And no, when new Survival updates will inevitably land in future, adept advanced players won't have much trouble adapting, they still won't have any problem on their road towards thriving, building elaborate "mega" bases. Perhaps, dear Mike, is finally time for you to up your game gigs as well - practice fights (that don't involve face-tanking), plan and rightly execute those plans, be well-prepared for various scenarios happening all at once, engage with raid bosses a.s.o. Make an effort, jump at those "sour grapes" by leaving your comfort zone while still being mindful of what's happening around you. Gl!

I think you may of misread my post- I said: Elevation & Archipelagos could not exist in EXISTING worlds thanks to Mega-Base builders with their 5000+ day worlds (retro-fitting would mess em up)

Only way i think it could is a World Setting prior to starting a NEW world (Land Loop Always, Never, Random) 

And also yes- new survival based content could completely disrupt Mega-Basing depending on the TYPES of content that gets added.. such as for example: instead of meteor showers only happening in a singular known biome that you avoid like it’s the plague, meteors can now rain down anywhere into any biome. This would most certainly & very easily absolutely demolish your mega base.

Things like Elevation, Archipelago Islands or even Map wide possible Lunar storm Meteor Showers, wouldn’t be something they can add to existing worlds due to the way it would completely mess up peoples megabuilds.

But until Klei reveals anything new all we can do is speculate what might be to come.

I have a feeling that it’ll involve DreadStone & Pure Horror, I just hope it doesn’t end up an abrupt Dead End like Moon Glass & Moon Glass triggered Mutations seem to have had.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

And admit it: Just about every single one of you is guilty of using it! (Most commonly used to turn off Wildfires)

The thing is: You have to actually PLAY the game on Default to know what you like & don’t like about it.

Believe it or not I just ignore this because I prefer the vanilla experience but to each their own there's nothing wrong with messing with the settings to make it easier or harder.

But get ripped apart by 20+ hounds constantly and you’ll quickly find the “less” or “none” options on them.

You need to know they exist first not everyone checks the menus or keeps up with the updates.

People overlook these features because they aren’t “Standard DS” but then again.. neither is the “Relaxed Mode” Klei added not too long ago.

This is true but at the same time some people just don't want to fuss with all the sliders and such it's the exact reason the relax mode preset exists despite being able to do everything under it in the generation settings.

10 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

However- this type of world Gen (as well as Archipelago Islands style world Gen) should be an OPTION for how your biomes will spawn in Freshly Created Worlds just like how you can set land branches to always loop, never loop, or Random.

just make so elevation does NOT get retrofitted into old worlds.

besides, I don't see how that would even be possible to do lol

10 hours ago, jrthekidRS said:

sad snip

exactly the kind of experience I had trying to get my friends into it, I made them dependant on me and they just got bored really fast thanks to that

I think this is a good direction for the roadmap to go in.

New player retention is something ive been thinking about for a while. Witch each passing month, the amount of servers to play on seems to shrink which is enough of a signal to warrant these updates. Keeping new players is very important for the longetivity of the game so im 100% on board with the roadmap.

I'd like to see DST also get crossplay at some point as well as a more streamlined way of joining worlds. 

8 minutes ago, sudoku said:

I think this is a good direction for the roadmap to go in.

New player retention is something ive been thinking about for a while. Witch each passing month, the amount of servers to play on seems to shrink which is enough of a signal to warrant these updates. Keeping new players is very important for the longetivity of the game so im 100% on board with the roadmap.

I'd like to see DST also get crossplay at some point as well as a more streamlined way of joining worlds. 

yeah like I said above I've tried to get a lot of players into the game but since I felt like the game is way too cryptic in a lot of areas that I had to lead them, which didn't help, it did the opposite

Not to sound elitist but I take your word. I believe you can keep the game don't starve while helping new players. For me that is the biggest reason I love this game. It just throws you in, doesn't tell you a damn thing and lets the player be the one that sets goals instead of following some breadcrumb trail or quest arrow. It exciting to explore and learn on your own, but I get it and think you guys can do it right. You have in the past with things like world settings.

Hopefully grid placement and health bars is in one of those Qol updates ;)

Archived