Don't Starve Together Roadmap 2023

Just now, Creatorofswamps said:

Are they really going to add an elevation like in one old concept and not just a flat earth?

Once I suggested to add something like cliffs in Factorio, which will make the world less flat, prevent building and can be exploded with gunpowder. So I suppose Klei finally heard me?

• Health 1
  • Wavey 4

2 hours ago, JoeW said:

We have a few areas that we want to focus on to accomplish this. In terms of content, we plan to delve deeper into the stories surrounding Charlie and Wagstaff, and explore the impact of their actions on The Constant.

Very excited about this, it would be great to see an expansion on the Lunar stuff since it feels RoT didn't use it at it's full potential, but also expansion on the Shadow stuff since it was a bit left out during these years (apart from Wanda and Maxwell).

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

How to please newbies: add extra equip slots
How to please veterans: don't add extra equip slots

I said everything.

How to please BOTH-

Hmmm there’s a “Relaxed Mode” that makes Hunger, Darkness & Overheating/Freezing a Non-Issue.

Hmm there’s a setting here to toggle Shadow Creatures to “Tons” and increase damage taken..

I think DST should actually allow the equipping of both an armor and a backpack because of DSTs Multiplayer design, I can say with utmost certainty that I rarely EVER use a body slot item in DST because the moment you drop your backpack on the ground another player can snatch it up. Where as in Solo DS, dropping your pack to equip Armor meant the only one picking it back up later would be You.

For real.. why does a Non-Wendy player need my backpack full of Mourning Glories and Ectoherbology potions when they CANT EVEN USE THEM?! 
I can say the same for a Willow with a Backpack full of Bernie’s, or a Wicker carrying 3-4 useful books.

At this point I feel like needing to drop your backpacks at all is a relic of the games past, this goes especially true when just trying to simply craft and move a boss statue as base decoration.

And finally- Klei of all people have the stats of what items are used most/least often, so if things like Summer Vests see more usage from players who can’t part with their backpacks I can only say that would be a GOOD CHANGE to the game.

Would it makes the game any easier?? Well only if Klei has no plans at all of adding any additional new challenges to the game.. but that doesn’t appear to be the case here now does it?

• Like 6

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

Our goal for the next roadmap is to smooth out the experience for less experienced players and provide longer lasting endgame challenges for veteran players

Yes!

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

2 Core Game Enhancement Updates

If it's like combat rework then HUGE YES!!!

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

However some of the design principles that were used to create the original single player game can feel unnecessarily unfriendly in a multiplayer game

True, so glad it will be under your attention this year.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

How to please newbies: add extra equip slots
How to please veterans: don't add extra equip slots

I said everything.

So why dont "veterans" want the extra slots again? Do we just want most body slot items to never be used by anyone? Or is it just elitists that pretend that having belt of hunger on with a backpack will somehow break the game?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Cruvimaster said:

Items that are good but nobody uses because of the backpack: Hibearnation Vest, Belt of Hunger and Floral Shirt.

True af, they just need to give these clothes pockets. Especially hibearnation vest now that it has that epic skin and is a boss drop.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Starlogy said:

So drop your backpack and use them.

Oh yeah let me just use a shirt that protects against overheating instead of the backpack to carry 3 different ways of dealing with it with plenty of room left to spare for whatever else I need.

Present an actual argument.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Starlogy said:

So drop your backpack and use them.

The philosophy of the game is "your game your rules". Klei can perfectly allow people to wear clothes with a backpack and those who don't want to don't.

But I highly doubt that Klei will give this quality of life to items that nobody uses.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, slendyproject said:

Oh yeah let me just use a shirt that protects against overheating instead of the backpack to carry 3 different ways of dealing with it with plenty of room left to spare for whatever else I need.

I recommend learning inventory management to know what items you'll need as well as to what you expect to obtain when venturing.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, slendyproject said:

Present an actual argument.

Okay... perhaps you should be more efficient with your inventory? You really don't need 3 answers for overheating when an eyebrella will do the job just fine.

• Like 5

It’s almost 2 AM here where I live and I’ve just finished to read the roadmap, I would like to scream from the happiness but I would probably make even the mayor of my city angry, so I can’t, thank you Klei, now I can’t sleep

• Like 2
  • Happy Hazard 1

40 minutes ago, Cruvimaster said:

Items that are good but nobody uses because of the backpack: Hibearnation Vest, Belt of Hunger and Floral Shirt.

No body items Klei makes will be useful in gameplay for this reason.

Two of my most common body slot items got listed right here. <.<;

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Just-guy said:

I recommend learning inventory management to know what items you'll need as well as to what you expect to obtain when venturing.  

18 minutes ago, Starlogy said:

Okay... perhaps you should be more efficient with your inventory? You really don't need 3 answers for overheating when an eyebrella will do the job just fine.

The point is that the backpack literally does the job 10 times better while doing other things. Eyebrella is irrelevant because we are talking about body slots.

Either way present an argument for the vest. Or keep assuming that I always carry a backpack full of thermal stones and whatnot  and not demonstrating a point if that makes you feel better.

Edited by slendyproject
  • Like 4

Awesome! I'm really happy to learn that the new player experience will be lead by expanding the compendium rather than tampering with the current early-game difficulty (Which I have loved ever since I first tried out DS way back in the day, to change it to be easier or harder outside the new world settings wouldn't feel right). While we're on the train of thought relating to in-game information, are there any plans to host an independent wiki, rather than relying on fandom/wikia's site? Wikia has made the experience of looking up new information frustrating with it's various site updates and intrusions, and I can't imagine it's very nice for new-ish players trying to look up things when they think to do do either. A few other developers have made their own to not just get away from player reliance on wikia's system, but also to integrate it into their own game's lookup system (such as runescape), and now that the compendium will be getting some good additions, it's something to think about. Otherwise, I am looking forward to see what changes are made, and hyped as hell for all the other updates to come!

Edited by Lavalace
  • Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

3 hours ago, JoeW said:

He’s still rather vanilla, he just has some sprinkles now.

This is a very apt metaphor. Love it!

Still in a state of nervous anticipation to find out if Wilson's new animation contradicts my headcanon. Been dreading this for years now. Just have to wait and see. Maybe it will fit perfectly, who knows?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, slendyproject said:

The point is that the backpack literally does the job 10 times better while doing other things. Eyebrella is irrelevant because we are talking about body slots.

I will not deny backpacks are good, they're great for the earlygame scenario where you need to gather as much Manure.png.1687a6bcbfc16a59dd6179805fc2c547.png as possible. When you're approaching the point where resource collecting is on the backburner, using something like a Magiluninesence or Hibearnation Vest can really help with moving around the map more efficiently (not eating or stopping for warmth as much or just simply walking faster). Body armor is also very useful, you can continue to wear a hat of your choice while still being provided protection from damage.

There are also lots of simply useless body accessories such as the Dapper Vest (when was the last time you've seen ANYONE wear this??). I just want you to be aware that a backpack is not the end-all answer to every situation like you think it is.

• Like 6