Don't Starve Together Roadmap 2023

4 minutes ago, sylvia wander o said:

This game is hard as heck. It's super unforgiving and unapproachable in a lot of ways, has a ton of content to memorize, and a lot of its threats will only come after several hours of playing a single world, but if you can't overcome them it's still back to square 1. Of course we won't think it's hard as people who've been playing for a long time, we already know all of these things.

That wasn't my experience the first time I played. Your experience may differ from mine. 

• Like 3
  • Sad Dupe 1

i disapprove of giving wilson cheekbone lines. if anything, the beard should end up there and indicate those likes, but when wilson is shaved its clear he has zero cheekbone. with the lines it makes him look too much like warly. just a small detail, LOVE LOVE LOVE all the art!!! middle wilson with the stubble is super cute, also webber and- oh no ill stop myself from listing all of them XDD and the dichotomy of shadow and light in the last one? cheffs kiss. Looking forward to the game content, and even more, the plot!

• Big Ups 1

2 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

That wasn't my experience the first time I played. Your experience may differ from mine. 

That's awesome! I remember I found myself getting way farther than you're supposed to in the Binding of Isaac back when I first started playing it, even though it's an infamously hard game. Sometimes you can just sorta, MESH with a difficult game if it fits you well, scratches your brain in the right way and you scratch it back y'know.

Well, 3 beautiful artworks and a bigger text post than previous roadmaps. Maybe Klei just up their standards. Maybe this roadmap is supposed to be a 'heartfelt' one, of devs realizing that raid bosses and side, minigame activities aren't gonna cut it for the next 6 years. I dunno.

What I do know is that what Joe said sounds promising. In a way.

Dst being one of the most difficult survival games is arguable indeed. Sure, when you go in blind, you'll die a lot, the game will be difficult. But at the same time, said difficulty will prompt players to search guides, eliminating the challenge. The devs trying to make the game easier to understand and harder to master will certainly be interesting to see.

The world actually changing as the game progresses? Yes please! I know this most likely means something flashy and noticible like new enemies or something but I'd love for seasons to become expanded and randomised, so that every year you can expect something different than the last one.

The Wilson rework bit- ehhhh, I dunno Klei, like many have said, outside of spoiling the name of AF (therefore prompting the players to spoil the boss for themselves) Wilson's rework doesn't really do anything to push the players forward. I mean... maybe those lanternless newbies dying from freezing will have an easier time thanks to his perks. But I'll leave complains for after Wilson's rework releases and the complaining threads arise.

Last but not least

Klei, I know that you guys will most likely not see this, or consider it, due to the nature of the roadmap threads but I would really like you to finish the Gateway arc. With it being left in the dust and RoT ending abruptly without actually exploring Them at all, I'm just worried about this Third Story Arc. I really don't want it to have some anticlimactic ending and a wild goose chase of a storyline. Tying the loose ends of Gorge would at least show that you care.... Not to mention all the other benefits that my suggestions have explained while giving you good enough ideas on how to implement and justify th-

• Like 8
  • Big Ups 3

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

We have a few areas that we want to focus on to accomplish this. In terms of content, we plan to delve deeper into the stories surrounding Charlie and Wagstaff, and explore the impact of their actions on The Constant. The introduction of late-game world challenges will change The Constant in ways that players will need to adapt to, either by working with or against them

This part seems very interesting and I can't wait to know what it is! Do we join ''Team Charlie'' and help her defeat Moon god? =D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Guille6785 said:

porting the console achievements to steam would be a great place to start, they're literally already there in the code in the pc version and they seem excellent at letting players know that certain mechanics exist without telling them explicitly how to access them which fosters exploration

also I hope it's a deep rock galactic crossover :flushed:

I 100% agree, been wanting this for a while now. Seems like something it definitely should have, and I especially agree that it would show new players how much content there is without spoiling anything for them.

50 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

A friend Ive been trying to get into the game keeps telling me that the combat is unfun because he gets destroyed by even a single hound. Ive both tried to explain and show them both in game and in video form how to kite but it doesnt seem to have an effect. So now he is only willing to play wendy and wait for the ghost to kill things. (Im convinced that attack animations are not clear enough for new players to understand.)

He also wasnt even able to leave the base during winter because "he lost half his HP to cold" after I gave him a winter hat, a thermal stone and explained that he can just burn things to get warm. And this experience roughly translates to the two other friends ive tried to play the game with as well.

Honestly its been too long for me to remember what my early experience with dont starve was, but from what im seeing, new players are not having a good time.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

Our goal isn't to make the game easier, or even to make the game harder (overall). The goal is to make the game more interesting

ye-ye blizz also saz reforge is great idea, dst is best in genre bcause its ALREADY interesting any fun

I just want to say... Thank you Klei. I was very happy to read this and see how dedicated you were to explaining why you are doing what you are doing. As a new player it can get a little hard to figure out what to do or how to do it, and I'm seeing all of these old content updates with all these cool bosses and quests and such, but I never really know how to get started into them. I'm glad you are thinking about both sides and how you can make both of them feel comfortable. The new harder endgame things you mentioned will give old players another challenge to overcome while the help for the new players will help us catch up with everyone and not feel pathetic about missing out on all these things. I may have not understand everything completely, but I think I get the gist. I am really excited to see how this is all going to go down and I hope the best of luck for you all. 

• Like 6

Just now, slendyproject said:

A friend Ive been trying to get into the game keeps telling me that the combat is unfun because he gets destroyed by even a single hound. Ive both tried to explain and show them both in game and in video form how to kite but it doesnt seem to have an effect. So now he is only willing to play wendy and wait for the ghost to kill things. (Im convinced that attack animations are not clear enough for new players to understand.)

He also wasnt even able to leave the base during winter because "he lost half his HP to cold" after I gave him a winter hat, a thermal stone and explained that he can just burn things to get warm. And this experience roughly translates to the two other friends ive tried to play the game with as well.

Honestly its been too long for me to remember what my early experience with dont starve was, but from what im seeing, new players are not having a good time.

When a player is new to the game I suggest you play a support character while they learn the game Wendy/wigfrid  are good supports. And Wilson has become a somewhat good support as well with making easy marble.

Before teaching them to kite I suggest teaching them to tank first with marble gear so they can learn other aspects of the game first. Combat is such a small part of the game and tackling the survival aspect first and foremost (weather/hunger/thirst) will allow for smaller consumptions of content at a time, which in turn allows for more time to acclimate. Help them learn to love the game first, so the more difficult parts are less grueling. 

You can play this game the first time by hardly ever moving from one spot and deerclops and hound waves can be tanked on beefalo. Once they learn that you have to messup pretty bad to actually die due to the abundance of healing, and they lose the fear of death, the game becomes almost a pleasant and calming experience. 

That's my two cents.

• Like 3