Save Woodie ;(

Wickerbottoms now can abuse Woodies left and right by spamming full moons if they wanted to. Woodie already struggled like hell during moonstorm full moons now he'll suffer through Wicker full moons D: You eat a bit of food and then starve again. There's so much time wasted being a were-creature from all that!

A silver locket kinda item with a maple leaf on it to prevent fullmoon stuff. 
Where he got it from i have no bloody idea. Maybe he had it in his flannel pocket and just forgot it was there, seems like a Woodie thing to do. 

If wickerbottom ever has a grudge against a WX, she can also use her rain book to ruin the WX’s day. Combined with her tentacle book and end is nigh, I think we may have a griefing goddess on our hands.

(just to make it clear, I am no way complaining about the rain book. Although it can screw over WX players, it’s one of the best parts of wickerbottom’s rework and smth players (me included) have been wanting for ages)

6 minutes ago, goblinball said:

If wickerbottom ever has a grudge against a WX, she can also use her rain book to ruin the WX’s day. Combined with her tentacle book and end is nigh, I think we may have a griefing goddess on our hands.

(just to make it clear, I am no way complaining about the rain book. Although it can screw over WX players, it’s one of the best parts of wickerbottom’s rework and smth players (me included) have been wanting for ages)

Atleast WX can play around the rain book. Any wetness resistance and they're way better off.

Woodie though? Have fun going into the caves every single night.

55 minutes ago, b l a n k said:

Woodie is already unplayable since months on public servers because of moonstorms

I still can't believe Klei has been tweaking other characters for several updates now, but still haven't looked into the most terrible downside of Woodie which makes him frustrating to play.

Something else that i've seen pointed out is that this doesn't just screw over Woodie players. A Wickerbottom player can make it completely impossible to fight the shadow pieces by resetting the lunar cycle every few days. This, in turn, means that players can't fight ancient fuelweaver. And thus can't reset the ruins.

At this point, the game has changed so much that Woodie needs a rework part 2. First the moonstorm event, then March QoL made him even more useless in the late game by lowering the cost of turfs and changing the recipe for cobblestones, now easy Wickerbottom griefing. 

Woodie 100% needs some unique item to stop curses. Him being locked out of Moonstorm events is honestly pretty intense and unbalanced and now Wicker can grief him with constant full moons as well. No other character suffers like him once the Altars are activated. 

Tbh I don't know why Klei is sleeping on this. Just add anything to help him stay human.

Maybe...

An idol of human woodie (using morsels) that any of the transformations can eat of the ground to revert back to his human form.

Or...

Eating a different animal idol while transformed causes a misfire transformation (feathers, beaver fur, and miniature antlers can be seen on his head/body/arms). The transformations can't completely overtake his body because they are fighting themselves. 

I'm sure that's too much to add, but it seemed funny to me. 

Woodie definitely needs an opt-out for moon events. He frankly needed one as soon as the moonstorms were gonna be a thing, given how much of a massive effect full moons have on him and how he can play.

If its going to be a wearable, he should automatically enter the constant with one of it (to give newly joining woodies a chance to get settled in/avoid getting screwed by any servers mid-moonstorm) as long as it it has some sort of durability (whether that be going to zero and not working anymore or breaking) letting them start with it isn't a big deal and encourages players to ration their use of it till they can get more or repair it. As for overall cost I definitely don't think it should be overly expensive to keep it accessible but not dirt cheap either, just enough to discourage players from fully skipping full moon events from early game to late game. 

The alternative is a consumable (like the idols) that lets him skip a fullmoon night, but I feel like a wearable is a better alternative. Since the full moon is supposed to impact him, making it cost a equip slot is still a pretty sizable cost while letting him skip out on heavier impact of turning into a were-creature. You still lose out on a lot not being able to wear other things.

I think it would be great if it was incorporated into Lucy.

A flesh sacrifice of sorts (very ritualistic themed) where using Lucy on himself (wether equiped OR on the ground) forces him to revert or stay human for some time. The price is hp, which should be easy enough for any newly spawning Woodie and he already spawns with Lucy in hand.

Though as to not be too gruesome and keep the animation pg-13, well I don't know. Maybe he can touch the top of the axe and get an ouchie (no blood), recoil and revert or stick his finger in his mouth cause he got hurt. 

The curse is then transfered to Lucy momentarily. She transforms into a duck, moose, or beaver axe (depending what you were or were going to become) and slowly reverts back to let you know how long you have left of being curse free.

I think this could be a cool idea that Klei can play around with. 

The great part about Lucy is that she can talk so Klei can clearly communicate any restrictions or cooldowns to the player.

tho his downside is "has a terrible curse" or something like that. But I am not againist for any sort of relief. Even his idols were result of co-op with Wicker, so why not they could have another discussion about getting something to make him "less transform", at least not every full moon... when you have all full moons in a row.

8 hours ago, b l a n k said:

Woodie is already unplayable since months on public servers because of moonstorms, at this point we're just going to hope Klei randomly tweak him during an update

True, I like to play Woodie but when people already find the 3 celestial altar I just change character (With Willow I have the same issue).

It will be good if we can make an amulet with the Iridescent gem to prevent Woodie to transform and to make Bernie works with high enlightenment, so we can fix both problem with the same item.

I kinda think that if Tall Tree Canopy’s protect the player from overheating, wildfires, lightning and spring rain, that it isn’t too unreasonable that it would protect Woodie from Moon Transformations- you ever seen those werewolf movies where they are out in a full moon but don’t transform until they look up at it?

Yeah.. that.

4 hours ago, Mantispidae said:

As for overall cost I definitely don't think it should be overly expensive to keep it accessible but not dirt cheap either, just enough to discourage players from fully skipping full moon events from early game to late game. 

The issue with Woodie's downside is wicker moons and the cc moons. If it's expensive enough to make it so you don't want to dodge naturally occurring full moons then it is worthless since those are about 20x less common than the problem. 

I know it’s not much but when the player summons the Eye of Terror a global message pops up saying “you feel an eerie gaze watching over you..” before the game then announces “Eye of Terror turns its Gaze towards X player” then it spawns to attack.

Wickerbottoms Books COULD get this Same kind of announcement before they’re actually used- “Ms Wicker is conjuring up a storm” then it starts raining or “Ms Wicker is soothing the Storm” and rain stops.

For Woodie & Moon book- he would have a Quote a few seconds before he transforms, “I feel the hair on my neck starting to grow..” 

This would give the player time to React and eat the Idol of their choice from their inventory to pick what they change into when she uses this book- (she helped him learn how to create his transformation idols and utilize his forms to his own advantages after all..)

Its not much.. but at least your not turning into something you don’t want to be randomly.

Having possession of an item to remove an entire character downside removes the point of even having the downside.

"Screwed if you do, screwed if you dont" - would woodie have to wear said item during full moons to negate its effect? That sounds very painful since head and body slots are both very important. would woodie just have to have an item in his inventory? that would completely remove his downside with just a simple craft. 

From a logic standpoint, it would just be easier to make woodie go wereform on new moons vs. full moons. This could solve a lot of problems - moonstorm included. It doesn't make any sense lore wise unfortunately so this is unlikely to be implemented. [werepig on full moon but weremoose on new moon???]

Actually... day 1 is a new moon so that'd be painful too but perhaps we can get around that by spawning him in with 10 birchnuts. 

But any time after day 1 lol

I would like it if Woodie had something similar to the Silver Necklace in Don't Starve Hamlet that would suppress his curse at the cost of sanity. He wouldn't need to spawn in with it, they could just make it a craft for the ladder part of the game (Mainly to help out during moon storms).

On 7/14/2022 at 10:54 PM, HowlVoid said:

The great part about Lucy is that she can talk so Klei can clearly communicate any restrictions or cooldowns to the player.

I do miss how chopping too many trees triggered the Werebeaver. I loved having Lucy frantically telling Woodie to calm down and stop chopping because she didn't want him to turn.

On 7/14/2022 at 11:17 PM, Theukon-dos said:

Something else that i've seen pointed out is that this doesn't just screw over Woodie players. A Wickerbottom player can make it completely impossible to fight the shadow pieces by resetting the lunar cycle every few days. This, in turn, means that players can't fight ancient fuelweaver. And thus can't reset the ruins.

I am the one who usually kill fuelweaver, and i can guarantee you that no one ever do this, once i entered an klei endless server past the third year, the shadow pieces were never killed (all suspicious marbles were in the world).

Now about the subject of this topic, i agree that woodie should have some tweaks, in my opinion, his transformations shouldnt lock his inventory, but only his hand slot, chest slot and head slot. This would make him able to eat some healing, and eat more idols to mantain his form.

And, the main thing that i miss in him, is the ability to stay transformed, he needs to do something (walk/fight/chop) to mantain his form, and in my opinion it shouldnt be in this way, all the 3 transformations should be preserved while he does something. You cant fight dfly because she run away to spawns lavae, also, there are fights that you cant press F and tank, you need to run/eat/wait/etc and engage figth again, so, i think if he stay still, then the meter could drop fast and make him transform into woodie. (Not only for goose, the others should also have the same mechanic to untransmorf).

About the moonstorm, if he could do more actions while transformed, the transformation wouldnt be a problem, since he could eat, open chests, construct, use bundles, etc.

So yeah, what im proposing is that the trasnformations becoming like normal characters, that you should stay entire seasons transformed if you WANT

Archived