What's the common opinion on sailing nowadays?

What's the common opinion on sailing nowadays?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the current sailing experience in DST? (ignoring resource costs)

• It's fun
    • It's alright
    • It's boring / frustrating
    • I've never sailed before

2 hours ago, Ohan said:

I also wonder if that unimplemented throwing net will ever be added. A way to retrieve items like drift wood and bottles from a distance would such a hugeee qol thing. I dread passing by a bottle with my masts down cuz its such a tedious nightmare to retrieve if u cant steer towards it in time. 

I think ignoring oars on boats is a common mistake. It's really not hard to retrieve items if one just weans oneself off sails.

4 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

The water pump makes for a nice backup fire extinguisher on coastal lureplant farms. At sea it serves little purpose. It is just another object that might catch on fire. The fewer combustible objects you keep on a boat the smaller the fire hazard will be. As mentioned, fire hazard at sea is not a huge problem. I am by no means a stellar player and if I can manage without looking into guides it can't be a complicated game mechanic. If the water pump doesn't serve your purpose, then why use it? With same logic I could start whining about how bad tents fare on boats at sea and insist they should be changed.

I didn't make this thread, and I do use things to stop my boat from burning other than fire pump - because fire pump sucks.  I've sailed for years in game, I know what I'm doing out there.  That doesn't change the fact that our boat mounted squirtgun doesn't work for what it was designed for and should probably be changed.  idk why ppl gotta act like posting up an opinion in here means I have absolutely no clue what I'm doing.  Its great there are other ways to take care of fire, but that doesn't change that the firepump is garbage and should be fixed.  That doesn't change that wavy spawns at far too high a sanity threshold when just exploring at night is dangerous enough.  Boating already breaks things up into a bunch of micro-tasks, which exacerbates any shenanigans the game throws at you.

4 hours ago, Majestix said:

I think ignoring oars on boats is a common mistake. It's really not hard to retrieve items if one just weans oneself off sails.

But then you aren't sailing...................................  honestly boating around with an ore since the speed update isn't so bad, but its not nearly as fun as letting open the sails.  The whole point of sailing is to sail, not to paddle around.  Sailing still needs some serious tuning fixes, and just b/c paddling works doesn't mean sails should be ignored.

9 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

No need to waste space on water pumps nor ice flingomatics.

If something starts smoldering while you're fishing you have to lose the fish, your bait, and your tackle in order to extinguish it. An active ice flingomatic prevents that from happening. Ice flingo also lets you go AFK, or at least it used to before rockjaws were added. Not sure if it's still safe to go AFK on a boat.

5 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

If the water pump doesn't serve your purpose, then why use it? With same logic I could start whining about how bad tents fare on boats at sea and insist they should be changed.

The fire pump was added in an update about the boats, the fire pump can only be placed on boats, and the fire pump doesn't actually do what its name says. The only advantage the flingo has over manual extinguishing is that it saves you while you're fishing, and the fire pump requires you to pump it so you may as well use your hands, water balloon, ice, ice staff, or watering can since the fire pump is flammable and as such unreliable. It's the same effect as something like a water balloon or watering can, except it has a chance to be the first thing to catch on fire and as such be unusable, and even if it isn't the first thing to catch on fire you have to react quickly and use it before the fire spreads to it. Even you admit that the fire pump doesn't do anything as you only use it as "backup" on "coastal lureplant farms". 

If the tent was added to the game and named the Sanity Restoration Station but you couldn't actually sleep in it and it was only a decoration it would make sense to compare the fire pump to tents.

As an Xbox player- I can’t begin to stress how frustrating boating is in DST compared to DS:Shipwrecked.

For starters- the area you can see within is limited, and the Deck Illuminator absolutely sucks.. PC shares this problem except PC has two crucial differences: The ability to Zoom Out, and the ability to keep moving while looking at their map.

You can pull up your map on Xbox, but you can’t use it as a navigational tool because you can’t still control your character while viewing the map.

Smashing into random stuff in the blackness of night isn’t fun.

Secondly- There is certain content designed with the intentions that you have the ability to drag and drop items on your screen, such as: Dragging meat over a Gnarwail to tame it, or dragging all the useless stuff that gathers on the deck of your boat as you mine, fight, gather stuff: And throwing that back into the water.

Having this “stuff” on your screen also further bloats your screen due to Xbox version having button prompt inputs over everything your close to (A to pick up, Y to inspect etc..)

A QoL to get rid of / hide prompts altogether would be nice..

Shipwreckeds boats may have been lifeless vessels “water shoes” but they were still much much more easily useable on a console controller then these current boats are.

To repair a BOAT LEAK requires you to line your character up just right looking at it till the prompt to repair it pops up, and even THEN you have the problem of Repairing the BOAT, Repairing the LEAK, or accidentally fueling your nearby Deck Illuminator because.. Why not?

Shipwrecked boat repairs were easy and simple and perfectly do-able with an Xbox controller.

DST boats however…. Are clearly designed to just work overall better if you had a point and click mouse.

I strongly STRONGLY feel like this is also a huge reason why lots of people just want back Shipwrecked boats boring as they may have been- They still were perfectly useable.

I will take this opportunity to state that the PLANK is Equally useless- It’s description button prompts will get in your way and more importantly it doesn’t do what it SHOULD DO and allow console players who can’t just drag and drop the stuff that piles onto their boat back into the water- the option to stand on the edge of this thing and “Toss at Sea” the Rot, Monster Meat, Cookie Cutter shells, Rocks, Salt Stacks, Bundle of Thanks, Shell Bells, etc that will pile up on the deck of your boat.

It is a massive time consuming headache to gather up all this garbage and put it into a storage chest or drop it off at the nearest land biome.

As much a good majority of people (Myself included) HATE the Shipwrecked “Water Shoes” you can’t deny that they didn’t work well without needing point and click features.

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

But then you aren't sailing...................................  honestly boating around with an ore since the speed update isn't so bad, but its not nearly as fun as letting open the sails.  The whole point of sailing is to sail, not to paddle around.  Sailing still needs some serious tuning fixes, and just b/c paddling works doesn't mean sails should be ignored.

I do use sails, and I agree that that's more fun than paddling. I was just saying that if you want to retrieve an item, personally, my sequence is: drop anchor, lift sail, then raise anchor, then paddle to the item. If you see it early enough, then skip the anchor part, just lift the sail and paddle. Once you have the malbatross sail this becomes even easier, since dropping it is very fast.

I find that most to do with boats and fishing is for something called "Fun"
Other than getting to specific islands, sailing is mostly just a side thing you can do for fun and maybe some items if you go for the sunken treasure. I quite enjoy just sailing around the world and just not having to worry about fighting bosses or dealing with hound waves or frog rains. 

And the same goes with fishing in the ocean, there is a reason its so complicated and involves weight and all that, you are really supposed to fish for sport. and its a wonderful past time to have in DST. Its actually quite relaxing at some times and you can easily survive at sea for as long as you want with said fish you catch

5 minutes ago, Majestix said:

my sequence is: drop anchor, lift sail, then raise anchor, then paddle to the item.

What did u imagine my sequence was? :lol: that is exactly what i do. Which is why i called it a tedious nightmare :roll:

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

If something starts smoldering while you're fishing you have to lose the fish, your bait, and your tackle in order to extinguish it. An active ice flingomatic prevents that from happening. Ice flingo also lets you go AFK, or at least it used to before rockjaws were added. Not sure if it's still safe to go AFK on a boat.

The fire pump was added in an update about the boats, the fire pump can only be placed on boats, and the fire pump doesn't actually do what its name says. The only advantage the flingo has over manual extinguishing is that it saves you while you're fishing, and the fire pump requires you to pump it so you may as well use your hands, water balloon, ice, ice staff, or watering can since the fire pump is flammable and as such unreliable. It's the same effect as something like a water balloon or watering can, except it has a chance to be the first thing to catch on fire and as such be unusable, and even if it isn't the first thing to catch on fire you have to react quickly and use it before the fire spreads to it. Even you admit that the fire pump doesn't do anything as you only use it as "backup" on "coastal lureplant farms". 

If the tent was added to the game and named the Sanity Restoration Station but you couldn't actually sleep in it and it was only a decoration it would make sense to compare the fire pump to tents.

Yes, something isn't adding up. I tried throwing around waterballoons in the game now and they only increase the wetness of the player and not objects. Didn't they use to turn objects wet as well? Did something change? In the same manner, didn't the water pump / fire pump use to soak items around it, turning them resistant to smoldering? As a preventive fire measure.

The pump works fine while burning. It is completely reliable. All you have to do is right click on it once. Here is an illustrated guide:

image.thumb.png.00171a70654455f1f1d19d76634edf5c.png

It extinguishes any fires around it virtually instantly.

Why would you want to fish when your boat is burning? The days during the summer are long enough to fish most of the time already. Annoying at times, sure, but wildfire hazard in the summer is nothing new. And if you have a single crew mate one person can handle the fire while the other one fishes.

The pump can be used to extinguish fires and does so very well at a minimal effort, despite being redundant most of the time. Either that or I have missed something or I am simply too good at this game.

If any adjustment should be made it could be to let it soak items around it to prevent fires while wet in addition to extinguishing ongoing fires. That could make it more fun to use. Still, there is nothing wrong with its current behavior.

22 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

Didn't they use to turn objects wet as well? Did something change? In the same manner, didn't the water pump / fire pump use to soak items around it, turning them resistant to smoldering? As a preventive fire measure.

No, this was never a thing.

Personally I think fire pump should be changed, like the entire way it works completely overhauled, if you have to stop your boat to make it work then it kinda truly is pointless to have, but- if it was redesigned to be a structure you put on your boat that will then have a school of spittlefish swim along beside your boat (insert any Disney movie like little mermaid or whatever here) the spittle fish will “Bind” to the boat itself and when smoldering starts- they can leap up out of the waters and spit out the fires.

Most importantly of all ON A STILL MOVING BOAT.

Having to be stationary to use this, makes me just wish that the mast (which now has a deck Illuminator and lightning Rod) just worked as a Overhead Sprinkler system.

Hey wait a minute… can’t you place these masts on dry land, and weren’t people wanting a Sprinkler to water gardens with? Maybe I’m a genius. ;) 

But seriously- yes Klei please fix Fire Pump & Deck Illuminator- they both equally suck at their intended jobs.

3 hours ago, Captain_Rage said:

The pump works fine while burning. It is completely reliable. All you have to do is right click on it once. Here is an illustrated guide:

My mistake. Then in that case it is tied for usefulness as things like water balloons or the watering can, except it takes boat space which is much more valuable than inventory space (you could have put a chest or two there instead and had a watering can plus 8-17 extra items).

Why would you want to fish when your boat is burning?

How are you predicting when smoldering is going to happen?

If any adjustment should be made it could be to let it soak items around it to prevent fires while wet in addition to extinguishing ongoing fires.

Yes, exactly. Then it would be useful and actually help against fires more than what you can hold in your hands. If it protected everything on the boat for a few minutes it would be a good alternative to the flingo.

On 11/28/2021 at 8:11 PM, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

Unless you are talking about a real glitch, stop calling it a "bug" or a "glitch". How are you so certain it isn't intended as a feature? How are you so certain it is a result of bad logic and/or badly written code?

Name 1 other creature/enemy that behaves in a way that makes it nigh-impossible to deal with (outside of outlier situations).

Do Mactusk take to the seas and pelt you from the safety of the water? Do merms time their attacks to try and stun lock you? do tentacles retreat underground before you can hit them?

Wavey Jones being able to spawn under structures is so far and away removed from the behavior of any mob in the game. And given that there's no obvious indications that this behavior is intended. It's easiest to assume that Klei didn't intend for it.

And in regards to OP's question, sailing itself is pretty cool. But the ocean is still thread-bare and lacks any good reasons to actively go out sailing, save for Lunar/Pearl's stuff.

1 hour ago, Theukon-dos said:

Name 1 other creature/enemy that behaves in a way that makes it nigh-impossible to deal with (outside of outlier situations).

Do Mactusk take to the seas and pelt you from the safety of the water? Do merms time their attacks to try and stun lock you? do tentacles retreat underground before you can hit them?

Wavey Jones being able to spawn under structures is so far and away removed from the behavior of any mob in the game. And given that there's no obvious indications that this behavior is intended. It's easiest to assume that Klei didn't intend for it.

And in regards to OP's question, sailing itself is pretty cool. But the ocean is still thread-bare and lacks any good reasons to actively go out sailing, save for Lunar/Pearl's stuff.

First of all, that doesn't make it a glitch nor bug.

Second, do shadow hands sometimes spawn so that they are inaccessible? The answer is yes. This mechanic makes the ruins even more dangerous. If you put a firepit/campfire on the thin bridge, you can be almost certain that the hand will spawn in an inaccessible location. The solution? Put the fire somewhere far from the edge, or be prepared to bear the consequences. And the shadow hand is the most comparable creature/enemy, not some mctusks or merms...

The behaviour is probably just semi-intended. It's a result of the systemic game design. His premise is that he spawns on the opposite side of your boat. And he does exactly that. The inaccessibility arises from the combination of his mechanic and the fact you can build structures on the edge such that you can't go around it. If you don't want him spawn there, deal with it by doing some dance on the boat, or with some preventions - I've listed many different ways how to deal with Wavy Jones. Or think of your own original solution that i didn't even come up with. Just don't call it a glitch/bug.

That's the beauty of systemic games, that you don't always know what harships await you. These hardships are not designed most of the time and you can't read about it in the patch notes and usually not even on wiki.

2 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

Here is another example: the DF and her lava pools are a bug/glitch, because it's horrible to try and base among them.
</sarcasm>

As has been said many times in this thread, build your boat in such a way that the edges are accessible, and suddenly it becomes perfectly possible to deal with Wavey. If you insist on building your boat in such a way as to set yourself up for trouble, then... yeah, then you may get into trouble. Hence the silly comparison to DF lava pools (although not more silly than all your comparisons with completely irrelevant mobs/mechanics).

18 minutes ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

The solution to the hands is more simple than that just let them mess with the fire unlike wavey jones they will despawn after they do their thing and no matter your sanity levels they wont completely put out the fire as long as is high enough you can just refuel the campfire.

1 minute ago, firoborn said:

The solution to the hands is more simple than that just let them mess with the fire unlike wavey jones they will despawn after they do their thing and no matter your sanity levels they wont completely put out the fire as long as is high enough you can just refuel the campfire.

Yeah, why not... Problems breed creativity.

Last time Wavy spawned on my fire pit (where he can't bee reached) I just checked what he wanted to mess with, then used it. So that after he was done I was back where I wanted my stuff (closed sail, anchor down) and just needed a torch. Then we were chilling together

24 minutes ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

Or think of your own original solution that i didn't even come up with

2 minutes ago, BezKa said:

Last time Wavy spawned on my fire pit (where he can't bee reached) I just checked what he wanted to mess with, then used it. So that after he was done I was back where I wanted my stuff (closed sail, anchor down) and just needed a torch. Then we were chilling together

See, i wouldn't even think about getting rid of him this way.

46 minutes ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

shadow hands sometimes spawn so that they are inaccessible

Yes - but I use firepits about as often as I use a razor.  Which is rarely, sometimes never.  There are plenty of light sources which are completely immune to the nuisance of fire hands.

On a boat however, with a 75% sanity threshold...  Not great, and no other options.

I don't actually mind the structure blocking as much as I mind the high sanity threshold.  Blocking sucks b/c I can't build 7 structures on a boat, but that was also a bit cluttered in general.  2 structure boats aren't ideal for basing, but they work in allowing you to chase him off.  But still, 75% sanity?  Hardly what I'd consider "low enough to punish."  If it were 50% it would probably be alright.  What kind of neurotic dev things we should be topping up our sanity like 75% is "low" ?

If Pearl didn't exist I would love ocean content, but she does so I hate it. I also think Rockjaws are really stupid, the Crab King is a terrible boss, the Waterlogged Biome isn't my thing but that doesn't make it bad.

Like I like the concept of sailing and the potential it opens up but the only thing I actually liked about it was the Lunar Island content, and that is decidedly a land-based activity that you have to use the boat to reach, but thankfully it can be circumvented by just building an entire bridge of boats.

The update also changed the way out of bounds areas work, so Fuelweaver can't have his bone prison blocked on the edges of the map anymore, which was a feature I really liked about Fuelweaver even if it was a glitch because it gave more options during his fight. Also need to consider that working on ocean content affected the development of other areas of the game that could arguably use more work.  The update also added another set of giant structures you have to carry on your back to a certain location...and I really hate that

The ocean just kinda ignores risks vs reward rates that the land was nicely balanced around and goes far more risks for only slight reward. I don't like difficulty that's there just to be difficult, it tends to cause a focus on tedium and annoyance and dealing with that to give that sense of difficulty and I could definitely feel that.

Thankfully I can control my sailing a lot by spamming the anchor, if you just reel it in for a second and then stop your boat can move, but it comes to an immediate stop after that as well.

I don't know sailing is like a very mixed bag for me, I really want to like it but I just can't yet, but there's no telling what the future holds for the system and just the functionality of being able to sail the seas alone offers possible future ideas that can be implemented. While I don't really like the ocean just yet, I'll keep a somewhat positive and hopeful outlook on it for later.....now if only there was a mod or added functionality where I could just kill pearl and burn her island into dust to get the pearls pearl and ignore the absolutely god awful sea fishing that I hate so much I'd be less bitter about it.  I really hate Pearls quest.

23 hours ago, Majestix said:

I’ve only just dabbled in sailing and have assumed sails were the main means of locomotion. Do people who sail most of the time really just stick to oars? That’s a lot of clicking, and doesn’t driftwood get used up?

1 minute ago, Rellimarual said:

I’ve only just dabbled in sailing and have assumed sails were the main means of locomotion. Do people who sail most of the time really just stick to oars? That’s a lot of clicking, and doesn’t driftwood get used up?

for a very long journey i use sails (i break any obstacle making "highways") but for less that a biome rowing works like a charm

driftwood stockpille since there isnt much uses and the oars have a very good durability

and for long or fast trips with obstacles, malbatross peak is crazy. A lot of speed and later can be used in a waterfall can when is low durability (and you can deconstruct it to recover the peak)

Archived