What's the common opinion on sailing nowadays?

What's the common opinion on sailing nowadays?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the current sailing experience in DST? (ignoring resource costs)

• It's fun
    • It's alright
    • It's boring / frustrating
    • I've never sailed before

Unless you use a mod that zooms out really far it's really hard to react in time to some of the threats the game can throw at you when sailing at a normal speed, especially if you're using a faster sail. It's generally just saver to row the boat although I've found spamming the anchor reel and stopping it before it completely reels up all the way works a lot better. Also with a mod that lets you zoom out farther you can sail more naturally much easier without feeling like you're fighting RNG.

5 hours ago, cropo said:

Unless you use a mod that zooms out really far it's really hard to react in time to some of the threats the game can throw at you when sailing at a normal speed, especially if you're using a faster sail. It's generally just saver to row the boat although I've found spamming the anchor reel and stopping it before it completely reels up all the way works a lot better. Also with a mod that lets you zoom out farther you can sail more naturally much easier without feeling like you're fighting RNG.

idk why klei doenst change the camera so while we are in a boat the game zooms out a little plus adding a crow nest to see even futher

is the sea, there is nothing blocking our vision

59 minutes ago, cropo said:

THis is pretty much what put me off of sailing. It’s way too slow until you see you’re approaching a hazard, and then it’s too fast and when you try to turn it feels too slow again.

2 hours ago, cropo said:

ignores risks vs reward rates that the land was nicely balanced around and goes far more risks for only slight reward. I don't like difficulty that's there just to be difficult, it tends to cause a focus on tedium and annoyance and dealing with that to give that sense of difficulty and I could definitely feel that.

That calculus depends a lot on your ambitions. For megabasers, having infinite durability mushlight fuel is a huge reward. On the other hand, if you just want to play a world for 300 days, then you can just ignore the ocean content and enjoy a polished DST land experience. So having the ocean content seems like a clear win for me: ignore it if you don't consider the rewards to be worth it, otherwise engage with it and learn to solve all those problems that the game throws at you and that some people seem so upset about.

3 hours ago, Majestix said:

learn to solve all those problems that the game throws at you and that some people seem so upset about.

Some of those problems just are not so easily solved, boating is a PAIN Compared to DS Shipwrecked boats, and it’s due to several number of factors-

1- The Deck Illuminator has less visibility radius then just dropping a lantern on the boat.

2- Cookie Cutters quickly drill holes into your boat and they stun lock you, they also respawn at a ridiculously fast rate: I wouldn’t have such an issue with them if I could just kill them out slowly and the area stay safe for longer then 90 seconds.

3- If you are playing alone unless your playing as Webber having a swarm of 15 water gliding spiders board the deck of the boat you have no room to move around on just isn’t fun.

4- The Fire Pump only works if the boat is Stationary, despite being made of Spittlefish, it would’ve been far more useful if this was a structure that “binds” a school of spittlefish to your boat (like you will see a shadow of them swimming in a circle around the outer edges) and when smoldering starts- even on a moving boat.. the fish are always moving WITH you so they will jump up out the waters spitting out the on deck fires.

5- Ocean content is vastly empty and feels like I’m slowly sailing through a boring cleverly hidden loading screen instead of an actual interesting stuff filled ocean. Having something like under water randomly generated creature spawners for both peaceful (Bottle nose dolphin, Spoonbill birds that land on logs out at sea) and Easy to deal with hostile water mobs (Jellyfish, A single swimming frog, Pufferfish) would tremendously help the journey between the games designated points of interest (lunar island, pearls island, salt formations, Seaweed biome, Water Logged area) feel a whole lot less boring.

Because the way it feels now- I’m sailing through a flat unrealistic, unsettlingly peaceful and calm ocean with no waves, no water sprouts, no whirlpools, no scenery, or wildlife to encounter.. it literally feels like a loading screen between areas.

And I’m hoping Klei has huge plans to bring more life to it (figurative & literally.)

41 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

2- Cookie Cutters quickly drill holes into your boat and they stun lock you, they also respawn at a ridiculously fast rate: I wouldn’t have such an issue with them if I could just kill them out slowly and the area stay safe for longer then 90 seconds.

3- If you are playing alone unless your playing as Webber having a swarm of 15 water gliding spiders board the deck of the boat you have no room to move around on just isn’t fun.

this 2 scenarios arent real

cookie cutters are weak (arround 100 hp and 20 damage, basically a spider in terms of stats) , can be scared if you hit them before jumping the boat and you can lure them little by little instead of sailing directly towards the salt formation like if that was your home so you dont end with 10 in your boat at the same time 

also, the waterspiders go out of their nest in agressive mode if you harvest stuff or hit the giant trees before breaking their nest so is a way to punishing the players if they perform in a careless way but you dont get 15 spiders, the biggest number of spiders i have experience was like 6 and only because i did something really stupid

1- The Deck Illuminator has less visibility radius then just dropping a lantern on the boat.

totally agree, is just dumb how bad is the item

5- Ocean content is vastly empty and feels like I’m slowly sailing through a boring cleverly hidden loading screen instead of an actual interesting stuff filled ocean. Having something like under water randomly generated creature spawners for both peaceful (Bottle nose dolphin, Spoonbill birds that land on logs out at sea) and Easy to deal with hostile water mobs (Jellyfish, A single swimming frog, Pufferfish) would tremendously help the journey between the games designated points of interest (lunar island, pearls island, salt formations, Seaweed biome, Water Logged area) feel a whole lot less boring.

WIP

right now the ocean isnt a place to explore but to directly travel between point of interest. Seeing what they did with the new biome i have faith that klei will make it more interesting with enough time (still being a "new thing")

10 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

cookie cutters are weak (arround 100 hp and 20 damage, basically a spider in terms of stats) , can be scared if you hit them before jumping the boat and you can lure them little by little instead of sailing directly towards the salt formation like if that was your home so you dont end with 10 in your boat at the same time

Indeed. For some reason people refuse to use Electric Darts at sea, making their own existence miserable. >_> Mass producing Electric Darts can arguably even be fun! At least that is my opinion when playing alone.

35 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

cookie cutters are weak (arround 100 hp and 20 damage, basically a spider in terms of stats) , can be scared if you hit them before jumping the boat and you can lure them little by little instead of sailing directly towards the salt formation like if that was your home so you dont end with 10 in your boat at the same time ...

Yeah, it's bizarre what kinds of scenarios people will invent in order to make ocean sound bad. "We have a big problem with spider design, because if I stand in the middle of the spider quarry at night and attack a spider, I get stunlocked and die. Kleeeeiiii, fiiiix!"

13 minutes ago, Majestix said:

Yeah, it's bizarre what kinds of scenarios people will invent in order to make ocean sound bad. "We have a big problem with spider design, because if I stand in the middle of the spider quarry at night and attack a spider, I get stunlocked and die. Kleeeeiiii, fiiiix!"

cookie cutters are a problem and they can be that dangerous if you dont see the salt formations coming wich 100% will happen if you sail at anytime of day couse the zoom is not that good

36 minutes ago, Captain_Rage said:

Indeed. For some reason people refuse to use Electric Darts at sea, making their own existence miserable. >_> Mass producing Electric Darts can arguably even be fun! At least that is my opinion when playing alone.

I use darkswords and bat-bats to fight them, but they still respawn too fast, and have you tried playing this game without point and click features? You can’t simply just click onto the cookie cutter and attack it.. in fact- 85% of the time your character wants to “Attack” one of the ones still out in the water heading towards your boat instead of one of the ones actually already ON the Boat.

You can’t sit there and lie and tell me there isn’t anything Klei can do to optimize it- maybe by gee I don’t know.. making your character prioritize the ones on the boat instead of the one out at sea?

Out of all the Ocean Content- Cookie Cutters are by far my least favorite thing.

As far as how do you get 15 Water Spiders swarming your boat? Well.. it just so happens that when you toggle spiders to tons- it also changes the amount of Water Spiders- Because for some reason… Klei has not yet added Water logged biome related content to world Gen toggle options- We actually got World toggles for the Terrarium and Eye of Terror before we got options like Default Spiders “Tons” Water Logged Spiders “Less”

7 minutes ago, firoborn said:

cookie cutters are a problem and they can be that dangerous if you dont see the salt formations coming wich 100% will happen if you sail at anytime of day couse the zoom is not that good

They also a problem if sailing down stream, your Item Inventory hud will block off the lower 10-15% of your TV/Monitor screen, there is no basic QoL feature that hides this Inventory until you need to see it- So yes… 15 Cookie Cutters can be hidden underneath it and all jump onto your boat like an RKO out of Nowhere.

14 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Well.. it just so happens that when you toggle spiders to tons

pls stop making this kind of comments based on non default world settings

is useless and confusing feedback for klei so if you like the game more than chatting, atleast mark in which setting did you experience your crazy and impossible adventures

"klei should buff the boss spawn rate, man what a boring game, i set them to none and they dont spawn. Buuuh buggy game"

"man the game is called dont starve but everything is filled with carrots, they should reduce them, on insane setting there is too much carrots how im suppose to starve?"

see how absurd it sounds?

is much asking a little of common sense?

sorry if sounded rude but man, is always the same thing with you

1 hour ago, Captain_Rage said:

Indeed. For some reason people refuse to use Electric Darts at sea, making their own existence miserable. >_> Mass producing Electric Darts can arguably even be fun!

The electrical damage buff won't actually apply to most water mobs unless the world moisture level is wet (so cookie cutters, Crab King, and sea weeds are considered to be dry unless it rained enough).

The water mobs that are excluded are Rock Jaws and Hounds; they are wet if they are in the water but the second they are on your boat, they are dry.

It's just how Klei coded it.

19 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

pls stop making this kind of comments based on non default world settings.

Your asking me to completely stop playing the game at this point, because as I’ve told and continue to keep telling you: Xbox only has player hosted worlds- this means that every single world I can join: Will 90% of the time be hosting NON-Default settings, and also because of a March QoL update that lets you exit your world at any given time and change those settings to relaunch the world with new settings applied: Even worlds started in default become Altered by players.

This is the XBOX EXPERIENCE. You may have default setting dedicated or public servers on PlayStation and PC but you also have to take into account the Xbox players. And- I can say with absolute certainty that if you joined 15 random hosts worlds in a daily session that at the very least- 7 of them will have altered their world settings.

You play the game not on default settings- but instead by however the current HOST wants you to play.

There are world Gen toggles for Normal spiders, and separate toggles for Shattered Spiders- But there aren’t ANY currently for Water-Logged spiders.

Setting cookie cutters to “less” also does not prevent them from Respawning every 90 seconds- 

If Klei is going to provide world toggle options, they have to consider playstyles BEYOND just Default.

Otherwise: Pearl Wouldnt be a Nocturnal NPC for lights out worlds.

56 minutes ago, firoborn said:

Do you use anchors? Because like, every time I've found myself heading into a salt shoal, i'm able to use an anchor very quickly, even with malbatross masts, and while a few cookie cutters might hop aboard, they're so very easy to deal with them only having a measly 100 health.

13 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

The electrical damage buff won't actually apply to most water mobs unless the world moisture level is wet (so cookie cutters, Crab King, and sea weeds are considered to be dry unless it rained enough).

The water mobs that are excluded are Rock Jaws and Hounds; they are wet if they are in the water but the second they are on your boat, they are dry.

It's a really unfortunate thing. Usually squids would be considered wet when swimming(only amphibious mobs like squids, and hounds would be considered wet when swimming) but Klei went through the trouble of specifically excluding squids from being wet when swmming, and it just makes me ask why? Do the people at Klei really think electric weapons would be too powerful on the ocean? For once I would have actually loved to use the Morning star, but for whatever reason, it feels like Klei doesn't want to make ocean mobs wet at all times, considering they went through the trouble to specifically make squids not considered wet when swimming, and don't want to seem to budge at making all other ocean mobs wet. Might be one of the oddest design choices I saw in all of RoT.

30 minutes ago, Hornete said:

Do the people at Klei really think electric weapons would be too powerful on the ocean? For once I would have actually loved to use the Morning star, but for whatever reason, it feels like Klei doesn't want to make ocean mobs wet at all times, considering they went through the trouble to specifically make squids not considered wet when swimming, and don't want to seem to budge at making all other ocean mobs wet. Might be one of the oddest design choices I saw in all of RoT.

The funny thing is that they added Volt Goat Jelly to the game. Now it's probably too late b/c of how strong Jelly is :wilson_laugh:

59 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

Ya, but they still die from Electric Darts, which are easy enough to mass produce. Electric Darts provide nice utility when things get out of hand. If you use your judgement your ammunition will last even longer. Whoop, whiip and the tiny pesky hole-drillers die, die, die. If you have a few Cookie Cutters incoming one dart is enough to be able to finish them off with one hit once they jump onboard.

And no, I have never played with anything but a mouse and a keyboard, thankfully. xd

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

Xbox only has player hosted worlds- this means that every single world I can join: Will 90% of the time be hosting NON-Default settings

If people are tweaking their vanilla experience so much only with the official settings, can you imagine what kind of chaotic experience it would be with mods? I guess some people would like it though.

1 hour ago, Mike23Ua said:

If Klei is going to provide world toggle options, they have to consider playstyles BEYOND just Default.

Klei should definitely consider the experience on other platforms, yes. But should they focus on making the non-default options viable to everyone or somehow balance it? Do you want them to consider every little detail?, every combination of any non-default settings? No, that's impossible and crazy to ask for. If you can't host vanilla yourself (or with your prefered settings), or can't find a community on Xbox, who hosts vanilla servers, I'm sorry but that's not Klei's fault.

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

You can’t simply just click onto the cookie cutter and attack it

I play on PC and I don't click them. I press "F" as probably most people do. You have to wait untill they latch onto your boat, and only then auto-attack. I've had that problem of running towards those in water too, before i learned to wait.

2 hours ago, lakhnish said:

I learned it the hard way, when I decided to use the morning star and my fight with Malbatross was taking an eternity.

15 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

Do Mactusk take to the seas and pelt you from the safety of the water?

He actually does, if the camp is too close to the water he can spawn on the ocean and just pester you from the waves. That's clearly a bug like this is clearly a bug. Wavey is dispelled by walking on him. A structure placement can prevent you from being able to dispel him. He doesn't check for structure placements. I have no idea how anyone could think that this isn't a glitch, do they think that the developers were just thinking about how sailing was too much fun and intentionally went out of their way to design an enemy that makes certain boat designs unable to combat it?

21 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

He actually does, if the camp is too close to the water he can spawn on the ocean and just pester you from the waves. That's clearly a bug like this is clearly a bug. Wavey is dispelled by walking on him. A structure placement can prevent you from being able to dispel him. He doesn't check for structure placements. I have no idea how anyone could think that this isn't a glitch, do they think that the developers were just thinking about how sailing was too much fun and intentionally went out of their way to design an enemy that makes certain boat designs unable to combat it?

sure, devs are dumb

just fill your boat with structures that blocks her spawn, profit

structures having hit box isnt a bug or did i died for a bug back in hamlet when a terrobeak hit me because my crockpot block me? klei fix crockpots

I wouldnt mind a change but calling it bug rather than accepting it works in a way you dont like...

edit: still not bug report open about wavery, i guess she isnt that buggy after all

12 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

They most likely didn't think about it when they designed and programmed that enemy. Later they most likely noticed it and left it as is intentionally. Whether they didn't remove it because they didn't notice it, or because they wanted to players be more strategic about that enemy or because time constraints I don't know. But it's not a glitch, it's a result from the systemic game design. Different mechanics collide together andcreate a problem or a strategy or something pretty or something unfair. And tweaking the game, so that it doesn't behave so unpredictably feels artifical. Some things are very unfair and they should be fixed, but not everything needs a developer intervention.

obrazek.thumb.png.7d31b09785d05a78044b6c2eb38dba9f.png

42 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

sure, devs are dumb

just fill your boat with structures that blocks her spawn, profit

1. You say this, but as said above, Mactusks can spawn on the world's border and walk on the ocean, which is something they still haven't fixed.

2. Klei is more than willing to let players block/prevent certain mob spawns, such as by destroying the structures that spawn them, placing structures were they would normally spawn, or placing traps to kill them if they can't be blocked otherwise. If a player wants to turn their boat into a floating shopping mall to block Waver Jones, then let them.

3. Even if Klei does allow this, then it would have some disadvantages. Notably: the fact that you can only interact with objects in the water from specific angles. Good luck trying to harvest items you can't reach.

structures having hit box isnt a bug or did i died for a bug back in hamlet when a terrobeak hit me because my crockpot block me? klei fix crockpots

1. Hamlet's kinda just broken/rushed in general. 

2. There's a difference between "I got stuck on an object I placed" and "I physically can't deal with this threat becuase It spawned right in the middle of a structure"

I wouldnt mind a change but calling it bug rather than accepting it works in a way you dont like...

Ok. Here's a question. What makes you think that this is intentional? we've already established that Klei has let some bugs fit snuggly in the game for a while. And does Wavy jones have any indication that spawning under structures is intentional. Do they have a special hiding animation while under structures? Do any characters comment about how Wavey's hiding under structures? By all accounts, Wavy Jones under structures looks like a bug, behaves like a bug, thus; is probably a bug.

Sailing in DST is boring despite having more gameplay than Shipwrecked boats. Plain and simple. But then why does sailing work in Shipwrecked you ask? Because of the exploration the map generation gives you. Until Klei make the map larger and add more islands, or breaks up the mainland into an archipelego, sailing will continue to be boring no matter how much more in depth the boating mechanics are than SWs boats.

Archived