What's the common opinion on sailing nowadays?

What's the common opinion on sailing nowadays?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the current sailing experience in DST? (ignoring resource costs)

• It's fun
    • It's alright
    • It's boring / frustrating
    • I've never sailed before

During the Return of Them updates I always saw people complaining about the boat mechanics and how unenjoyable sailing was.

I've disagreed since then, as I really enjoy it – both by myself and with friends – and think it's a great change of pace for the DST gameplay.

But it's been a while since I saw opinions on this topic, so I'm curious about what people think of it with the current state of the ocean and the boat speed rework from the Waterlogged update. Has the general opinion changed? Or do most people still dislike sailing in DST?

it still sucks for fishing and fighting. increase boat speed ≠ make swimming better and more comfortable.

I still personally use boats for bridges and for finding lunar island/Pearl's island and Crab King only (even though I don't fight him myself, I use killer bees instead lol)

I am usually the one who sails on pubs.

I love it, I try to bring the giant seeds before the start of winter, I bring the Lunar spoils, i take care of Pearl (although that leads to nothing on pubs usually) I fight sea weeds, i bring salt, I fight Malbatross. And although I like fishing, I usually don't find the time for it, there are more important and fullfilling things to do.

-------
As for what i want from the future of sailing (and other ocean content) I'd love more islands, more sea biomes, and more uses for fishes - either crock pot recipes with interesting effects or some kind of NPC that you could trade the different fishes with (preferably other NPC than Pearl)

8 minutes ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

still overly expensive and  booby trapped

it's different enough than land living that it could alleviate monotony, but everything has the feeling of switching from a can opener to a hammer for opening cans, more effort and worse results

You need 4 planks for think tank, 4 planks for boat, 1 log for oar and 1 driftwood piece for actually usable oar. How is that overly expensive? Given how good the Lunar Island items alone are...

You can literally start sailing on day 1

1 hour ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

still overly expensive and  booby trapped

it's different enough than land living that it could alleviate monotony, but everything has the feeling of switching from a can opener to a hammer for opening cans, more effort and worse results

I disagree with the first sentence. It's not "expensive" and not "difficult", it's more like "not worth itself most of the time". Lunar island can be found by strange mainland borders, Crab King - using Astral Resonator, Pearl - by Note in a Bottle (or whatever its called), which is not so hard tbh.

However, ocean fishing requires boards for boat; boards for Think Tank; web, boards, ropes and rocks for sails, steering wheel, anchor and tin fishing bin; some web for a sea fishing rod; coupons for tackles and baits, and a precise timed clicks when reeling the fish to not lose them. Compared to ponds, which require 2 webs, a few sticks and some LMB clicks and which give the same result, it's too tedious (come on, 5 gold (or 1 pt. of fish and 0.5 pts. of meat in crockpot) for an eel, which can be mass produced from ponds near the Toadstool hole)

Sailing is great but ruined by Wavey Jones because he still spawns if you or anyone else is below 110% sanity, will kill your boat if you give him less than your undivided attention, and gets stuck in invulnerable spots making it so that you have to just park the boat and dedicate the entirety of the night to stopping him which is really annoying since night can be up to 3 minutes long.

In a word, tedious.

Just about everything when it comes to ocean content is incredibly slow, with the exception of the lunar island, and slightly less so boat movement post waterlogged.

Sea fishing? you could probably rush the ruins before you find and catch one of the useful ones. The waterlogged biome? better but with a subpar food item and a nut that takes half your lifespan to finish growing there is very little to actually do. barnacles? FAR more dangerous than they have any right to be, guarding a food item that is useless compared to alternatives. Harvesting basically anything? best to move slower than 2 pixels every hour lest you graze the side of whatever you are trying to collect and your soggy tortilla of a boat immediately disassembles itself. Crab king? Crab king.

I am sure other people have fun with the ocean content, but i cannot suffer another second on wavey jones wild ride.

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Sailing is great but ruined by Wavey Jones because he still spawns if you or anyone else is below 110% sanity, will kill your boat if you give him less than your undivided attention, and gets stuck in invulnerable spots making it so that you have to just park the boat and dedicate the entirety of the night to stopping him which is really annoying since night can be up to 3 minutes long.

Build a salt box and colelct cactus for everyone on board, or build a tent there.

2 hours ago, Duck986 said:

However, ocean fishing requires boards for boat; boards for Think Tank; web, boards, ropes and rocks for sails, steering wheel, anchor and tin fishing bin; some web for a sea fishing rod; coupons for tackles and baits, and a precise timed clicks when reeling the fish to not lose them. Compared to ponds, which require 2 webs, a few sticks and some LMB clicks and which give the same result, it's too tedious (come on, 5 gold (or 1 pt. of fish and 0.5 pts. of meat in crockpot) for an eel, which can be mass produced from ponds near the Toadstool hole)

First, you don't need any sails, steering wheels or anchor. And if you don't fish for difficult fish, you don't need floats, no special baits and no skill.
Second, the ocean fishes don't give the same result. Although I agree that they are often not worth it unless playing as Wurt, some are special by making you cold or warm, others drop either big fish or leafy meat (or corn), some can be made into fire pump and lastly some fish you often have to fish to spawn a boss that gives you good oar.

20 minutes ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

Build a salt box and colelct cactus for everyone on board, or build a tent there.

I'm already trying to gather at least 66 rocks, 23 gold, 45 grass, 22 silk, 12 charcoal, 12 twigs, 250 logs, 3 gears, 15 ice, 7 nightmare fuel, 3 living logs, 4 rabbits, a purple gem, a bone shard, and a drift wood in the first season. I don't want to also have to gather a bunch of cactus and hope I can find some early salt stacks just because there's an extremely dangerous enemy that spawns at extremely high sanity who more often than not is bugged out and invulnerable. I want there to not be a bugged enemy that's only countered by idling all night every night.

Tents don't work because they're destroyed after being used a couple of times.

1 hour ago, Spep said:

Sea fishing? you could probably rush the ruins before you find and catch one of the useful ones.

True.

a nut that takes half your lifespan to finish growing there is very little to actually do.

You know you don't have to babysit the tree to finish growing it, right? You just need to rub some jam on it every now and then. Sure, it takes ~20 days to grow, but you don't have to give it your time besides bringing it to base.

barnacles? FAR more dangerous than they have any right to be, guarding a food item that is useless compared to alternatives.

If you choose your weed right (one that is far enough from others) and have single patch ready, you can kill it during day with no repercussion. With wigfrid and mostly fresh hambat, it doesn't even spit. You can then replant and reap before full moon. But I agree, it's not really worth it unless you are hungry. It's not dangerous though.

26 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I'm already trying to gather at least 66 rocks, 23 gold, 45 grass, 22 silk, 12 charcoal, 12 twigs, 250 logs, 3 gears, 15 ice, 7 nightmare fuel, 3 living logs, 4 rabbits, a purple gem, a bone shard, and a drift wood in the first season. I don't want to also have to gather a bunch of cactus and hope I can find some early salt stacks just because there's an extremely dangerous enemy that spawns at extremely high sanity who more often than not is bugged out and invulnerable. I want there to not be a bugged enemy that's only countered by idling all night every night.

Tents don't work because they're destroyed after being used a couple of times.

Then tell your friends who sail with you, to collect the cactus themselves. The salt box isn't a neccessity, cactus in ice box will take 20 days to spoil.

Let me make this easy to understand, Sailing is easy.. fun and overall more in depth then Shipwrecked sailing.

What you encounter and can do WHILE Sailing however is boring, unbalanced and unfun.

The ocean itself still feels vastly VASTLY Empty while sailing between points of interest almost as if your floating through an invisible loading screen of doing nothing.. 

And once you finally DO arrive to a ocean set piece most of the time it’s designed with the intentions you will have other players playing with you (no Klei I do not find 15 spiders swarming the deck of the tiny boat I have no room to run away from them all on as “fun”)

The whole “ocean is boring” problem could’ve been fixed a long time ago if there was things out in the ocean like Ballphin dens, just randomly thrown about all over the waters so mobs (both hostile & non-hostile) can spawn from them and swim around.

Or if there were things like Water Lilly’s, small lily pads with frogs sitting on them etc..

i bought an Xbox Series X/S console with the hopes I would get a bigger better DS more capable then what my Xbox One could do- But unfortunately Klei has to design the game around older hardware.

So my dreams of ever getting a wildlife filled ocean that doesn’t just feel like sailing through a secret empty loading screen- have most likely been dashed against a sea stack.

TL:DR- SAILING is Fun & more in-depth, What you can do & experience WHILE Sailing, still needs work.

47 minutes ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

First, you don't need any sails, steering wheels or anchor. And if you don't fish for difficult fish, you don't need floats, no special baits and no skill.
Second, the ocean fishes don't give the same result. Although I agree that they are often not worth it unless playing as Wurt, some are special by making you cold or warm, others drop either big fish or leafy meat (or corn), some can be made into fire pump and lastly some fish you often have to fish to spawn a boss that gives you good oar.

1) If you're going to mass-produce ocean fish or will look for the biggest one, you'll need them as well as baits and floats sooner or later.

2) thermal stones are much easier to craft and re-heat/re-cool. While I agree cold and hot fishes will have the same temp during their 1 day they rot in, and may be useful in short travels or some unusual situations, I find their usefulness doubtful in a thermal stone's "area of use".

3) For me, it's much, much easier to get corn from farm plots and leafy meat from lureplants - just plant (don't forget that boats does not spread eyeplants), go away, come back after some days, profit.

4) every smoldering can be extinguished with hands or rot, and every fire - with Feather Fan, plus Fire Pump takes the precious boat space

5) My personal opinion - I'd rather spend Malbatros's Bill on a Waterfowl Can than use as an oar - the wooden/driftwood ones are much cheaper

2 hours ago, Cheggf said:

and gets stuck in invulnerable spots making it so that you have to just park the boat and dedicate the entirety of the night to stopping him which is really annoying since night can be up to 3 minutes long

when she does her scream move to that spots to prevent her spawning there

she spawns in the opposite side of the target

9 minutes ago, Duck986 said:

1) If you're going to mass-produce ocean fish or will look for the biggest one, you'll need them as well as baits and floats sooner or later.

Yes.

2) thermal stones are much easier to craft and re-heat/re-cool. While I agree cold and hot fishes will have the same temp during their 1 day they rot in, and may be useful in short travels or some unusual situations, I find their usefulness doubtful in a thermal stone's "area of use".

Yes. Worth it if you're Wurt.

3) For me, it's much, much easier to get corn from farm plots and leafy meat from lureplants - just plant (don't forget that boats does not spread eyeplants), go away, come back after some days, profit.

Yes. It's nice to have alternatives though. For example for only-ocean run. Even better source of leafy meat is from grass gators. I just wanted to point out, the drops are more diversified than you implied (or more like said explicitly).

4) every smoldering can be extinguished with hands or rot, and every fire - with Feather Fan, plus Fire Pump takes the precious boat space

Yes. Though I personally prefer watering cans.

5) My personal opinion - I'd rather spend Malbatros's Bill on a Waterfowl Can than use as an oar - the wooden/driftwood ones are much cheaper

I disagree. Unless the waterfowl can is better in more ways than just its volume. If you have green gems, you can kill Malbatross only once and then deconstruct the can for unlimited use of its beak.

It's alright. Used to be horrible, but Waterlogged made it good enough. Cause before, anchors were mandatory if you wanted to stop your boat at all ever. And also, you needed like 2-3 masts to move at a still-slow-but-slightly-more-bearable speed. Now just one mast gives you reasonable and comfortable speed and even without masts, oars are really good too. Waterlogged fixed the biggest problems boats had.

45 minutes ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

Then tell your friends who sail with you, to collect the cactus themselves. The salt box isn't a neccessity, cactus in ice box will take 20 days to spoil.

Did you not look at the material list? They're helping collect those materials. I already know there's sanity food in the game, the existence of it is irrelevant to the fact that there is a bugged invulnerable enemy that makes sailing annoying.

17 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

when she does her scream move to that spots to prevent her spawning there

she spawns in the opposite side of the target

Which is great when the initial spawn isn't blocked and everyone on the boat is able coordinated and able to do the dance, but Wavey Jones just shouldn't be able to spawn in inaccessible locations to begin with.

Just now, ArubaroBeefalo said:

or just dont create such inacessible locations, no?

it always happens to me if i build the fire pit so close to the edge

The entire fun of sailing is creating a mobile group of structures, just moving around on an empty plank would be so boring. What kind of an excuse is that? 

56 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I'm already trying to...

3 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Did you not look at the material list? They're helping collect those materials. I already know there's sanity food in the game, the existence of it is irrelevant to the fact that there is a bugged invulnerable enemy that makes sailing annoying.

Sorry, I though that YOU are doing that. Also, I have never encountered a single bug with him.

Which is great when the initial spawn isn't blocked and everyone on the boat is able coordinated and able to do the dance, but Wavey Jones just shouldn't be able to spawn in inaccessible locations to begin with.

I feel like it's part of the gameplay - not only fending him off, but spawn him where you want him. Also, I know, the boats are meant for building, but if you don't like inaccessible spaces, you have a choice to not make them.

Just now, Cheggf said:

The entire fun of sailing is creating a mobile group of structures, just moving around on an empty plank would be so boring. What kind of an excuse is that? 

????

just build the strutures that block wavy close to the center and chest, fishing bin, etc in the edge

You already have a crew of sailors. Why not make 2 boats with the same amount of structures and without inaccessible spaces if you hate that preventable shadow enemy so much.

8 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

????

just build the strutures that block wavy close to the center and chest, fishing bin, etc in the edge

And have like two structures on the boat???? I don't understand why you ask for developer intended things to be changed in other threads and in this thread act like a bug shouldn't be fixed for no reason.

8 minutes ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

I feel like it's part of the gameplay - not only fending him off, but spawn him where you want him. Also, I know, the boats are meant for building, but if you don't like inaccessible spaces, you have a choice to not make them.

What is this weird shill thread? Literally saying just not to build things on a boat and have a boring boat because Klei shouldn't put in one line of code having Wavy check whether or not he's going to spawn on top of a structure and become permanently invincible for the entire night.

5 minutes ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

You already have a crew of sailors. Why not make 2 boats with the same amount of structures and without inaccessible spaces if you hate that preventable shadow enemy so much.

Why on Earth would I want two boats? Have you ever sailed before, what kind of suggestion is that?

Just now, Cheggf said:

And have like two structures on the boat????

What is this weird shill thread? Literally saying just not to build things on a boat and have a boring boat because Klei shouldn't put in one line of code having Wavy check whether or not he's going to spawn on top of a structure and become permanently invincible for the entire night.

No, I just like having problems and solving them; adapting to them. Rather then call for somone to remove them altgether.

How is making a boat fleet boring? Managing the fleet with some experienced players as captains and the most experienced of them as a fleet commander sounds way more fun than sailing on asingle full boat.

Wth does a "shill" even mean if you're using it as lightly as that? We just often agree with arubaro on many aspects of the game. And we like to express our opinions just like you guys do.

Archived