What's the common opinion on sailing nowadays?

What's the common opinion on sailing nowadays?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the current sailing experience in DST? (ignoring resource costs)

• It's fun
    • It's alright
    • It's boring / frustrating
    • I've never sailed before

8 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

And have like two structures on the boat???? I don't understand why you ask for developer intended things to be changed in other threads and in this thread act like a bug shouldn't be fixed for no reason

because isnt a bug. Do you wanna over1crowded boats? deal with wavy

my boat isnt empty and i dont have problems with wavy but also is true that i dont build useless structures like bircage, lureplants, etc

i know that surviving using only a boat is fun but we cant ask klei to balance the game arroun each niche playstyle

if you think it is a bug, report it in the bug tracker. will be more productive than arguin with me

33 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

Why on Earth would I want two boats? Have you ever sailed before, what kind of suggestion is that?

Ehm, lemme quote myself:

5 hours ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

I am usually the one who sails on pubs.

I just usually don't sail with people who can't keep their sanity high enough. And when I do, I don't complain about it, but enjoy the thrill of keeping the boat afloat or laugh when we hit stone formations and drown.

My nowodays meta is leaving the "main" boat for others to design, while making my own, simpler boat, captained by myself and my trusty driftwood oar (later malb. bill). And when we sail to a location together (yes, on the 2 boats), they usually can't keep with me (me, equipped with the driftwood oar only), cause they can't manage the 2 masts, steering wheel and anchor that they built by themselves... so I often have to wait for them, not the other way around.

I don't know why You would make 2 boats. I suggested it as a way for you to have more space on them, which would help you solve your problem.
As for me, I do it for this following reason:

I like to teach new players (or new to the sea content at least) how to sail. And I like to show them all of the ocean content like Lunar, Waterlogged, sea weeds and salt formations etc... - the ocean content, they often never even saw before. And what better way to teach them about the mechanics, then to force them into steering their own boat themselves.

In the past, I did captain a single, with structures loaded, cookie myself and I tried to show other players the (few still) wonders of the ocean. It resulted in a very boring experience for them and for me - because they just waited on the ship, hardly helped at all.
Also, preparing the full equipped boat base wasn't worth it cause we often crashed and lost it all.

Letting them captain their own ship resulted in a much more enjoyable experience for us all. And sharing this, for them completely new, experience proved to be a pretty fullfiling thing to do.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

The entire fun of sailing is creating a mobile group of structures, just moving around on an empty plank would be so boring. What kind of an excuse is that? 

It doesn't have to be completely empty. My boat nowadays looks like this: fire pit and a crock pot at the edge, ice box and chest somewhere in between them, lightning rod if I sail in spring in the middle, tin fishing bin if I decide to fish and pinchin' winch anywhere else. If I feel lonely, i bring chester and/or a critter with me. Sometimes, when I want to sail asap, I build an alchemy engine on the edge as well. So 3 big structures on one side, so that I can spawn Wavy Jones on the other side.

Hm, hard to answer the pole.  I don't find the ocean boring, but I do find it frustrating.  I feel I can never actually do anything that sounds interesting to me out there, so I largely just ignore it.  When they first launched boating I was really excited and spent a lot of time boating.  I even started joining pub servers so I could build a boat, and meet other boating players.  Now...  its one of the parts of the game I actively avoid.  Kinda sucks b/c I liked doing quests for pearl, hunting treasure, and doing my best to never touch the main land once I set sail.

10 hours ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

Given how good the Lunar Island items alone are...

Lunar island isn't that great anymore...  It was great when it provided kelp / stonefruit and we didn't have ways to produce vegies reliably.  Now that we have gardening I don't even bring these back anymore.  Besides that, there isn't much to get.  Maybe anenemy for farms?  I certainly wouldn't rush those.

9 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Sailing is great but ruined by Wavey Jones because he still spawns if you or anyone else is below 110% sanity, will kill your boat if you give him less than your undivided attention, and gets stuck in invulnerable spots making it so that you have to just park the boat and dedicate the entirety of the night to stopping him which is really annoying since night can be up to 3 minutes long.

Definitely this is the #1 problem why I stopped boating.  I've tried several boat designs to try and make a base of it, something I could sail on permanently, and it just doesn't work.  The main reason it doesn't work is a combination of Wavy triggering at WAY too high sanity in places you can't despawn him from, and wildfires...  My fire pump caught on fire wtf is this?  Its utter disappointment.

5 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

or just dont create such inacessible locations, no?

it always happens to me if i build the fire pit so close to the edge

You can fit 2 structures on a boat in a way that leaves the entire border free for walking around.  Given you're building a base to live endlessly on the ocean, what 2 structures do you build?

8 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Definitely this is the #1 problem why I stopped boating.  I've tried several boat designs to try and make a base of it, something I could sail on permanently, and it just doesn't work.  The main reason it doesn't work is a combination of Wavy triggering at WAY too high sanity in places you can't despawn him from, and wildfires...  My fire pump caught on fire wtf is this?  Its utter disappointment.

Yeah, exactly. Sailing before Wavy was added was a ton of fun. It wasn't rewarding or efficient, but it was so fun to sail around on a public server and see people's reactions to my boat with an alchemy engine, shadow manipulator, tackle receptacle, pair of crock pots, ice flingomatic, fire pit, and various containers. It was overall a net loss of time to require moving all of that to where I wanted to go but it was fun that once I was there I had my entire base within a stone's throw. Now Wavy, the most destructive enemy in the game who is way more dangerous than four terrorbeaks (0-2 spawn at 15% sanity) will spawn if you or anyone else is at 75% sanity and he will hide in your structures and be unable to be dismissed, requiring you to just sit on his hand all night long.

Yes, you can stop Wavy if you ensure you and everyone else is above 75% sanity (headache animation starts at 50% sanity so you have to ask people what their sanity is). Yes, you can stop Wavy if you ensure you and everyone else is always in positions where he'll spawn in a place that works and then fight him with everyone returning to said positions after each banish. But I don't care. I don't find it fun to put in a bunch of effort just because there's a glitched enemy. I want that glitched enemy to no longer be glitched. Why should I put in so much effort just because he doesn't check if there's a structure there or not and becomes completely invincible? Why are people so against the idea of Klei patching out a bug that literally doesn't affect them at all? Why are they so upset that in the thread about opinions on the ocean I gave my opinion on the ocean?

9 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

You can fit 2 structures on a boat in a way that leaves the entire border free for walking around.  Given you're building a base to live endlessly on the ocean, what 2 structures do you build?

I'm not against you, I absolutely agree it's very stupid that Wavey can spawn on structures and block the player from scaring them away. But you can actually build 4 "large" structures on a boat to leave the border free to walk around, it's what I always do, though I'm starting to build two large structures now only just to free some visual overload for myself.
357917326_GIF11-28-20217-59-06PM.gif.17eeff5b782cfb3216796190feb0828f.gif

But yeah, there absolutely needs to be something done about Wavey spawning on structures. While I never experience the problem myself, it's not about me, it's about players getting into boating. It feels really bad to get into boating and you get this silly little shadow creature stuck on your boat because you can't scare them away. It's terribly discouraging to experience and I hope Klei does something about it. 

23 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

My fire pump caught on fire wtf is this?  Its utter disappointment.

I would suggest not building a fire pump. A watering can doesn't take up space and you'll always be close enough to put out any fires on a boat.

7 minutes ago, Hornete said:

I'm not against you, I absolutely agree it's very stupid that Wavey can spawn on structures and block the player from scaring them away. But you can actually build 4 "large" structures on a boat to leave the border free to walk around, it's what I always do, though I'm starting to build two large structures now only just to free some visual overload for myself.

That is a really nice looking boat. Can you also fit non-colliding structures along the edges (eg. steering wheel, anchor, drying racks, chests, ice/salt boxes)?

4 minutes ago, QuQuasar said:

That is a really nice looking boat. Can you also fit non-colliding structures along the edges (eg. steering wheel, anchor, drying racks, chests, ice/salt boxes)?

Drying Racks are a "large" structure so theyll need to replace one of the four structures there, but all of the rest, pretty much yeah!
image.thumb.png.dbdfe50de867dacab495492ac45b966c.png

This is a design I generally like to go for (I personally never build drying racks on my boat but i put it there as example to show it's a "large" structure) Best part, there's space between all physical objects! I personally go insane if two objects on a boat creates a barricade, considering these platforms are so small I need to be able to have guranteed smooth movement around the entire boat personally :D

I've actually been meaning to make a general ocean guide covering everything, including how to build a well designed boat imo, been kind of procrastinating on it haha.

Yeah - and one of the things that made sailing fun was exploring at night.  Always toggling to the map to view if any obstacles are coming up, getting ready to insta-drop anchor and steer.  Now nights are "stand in this specific space all night b/c if I move Wavy will obviously pick that moment to spawn in a blocked space."  Its horrible design.  Wavy wouldn't be so bad if he was a much lower sanity threashold, but seriously the threshold is so high its just rediculous.

The fire is also a big problem.  We could always put a flingo on a boat, we don't gain much by having a fire pump.  Sure it doesn't need to be refueled, but that was never a problem.  So what does the fire pump bring us?  Nothing.  It doesn't put out fires better then a flingo, it requires you to lock your character into that one action - which really sucks on a boat b/c you might be needing to urgently drop anchor and raise sails, react to a shark that just jumped on your boat, etc and the !@#$ thing its self starts to smolder.

14 minutes ago, QuQuasar said:

I would suggest not building a fire pump. A watering can doesn't take up space and you'll always be close enough to put out any fires on a boat.

Can you fill a watering can from a boat?

Boating on Xbox Series X/S is a pain in the backside..

You can not simply Drag and drop items into the ocean to get rid of them forever, so that means that EVERYTHING YOU PICK UP IN THE OCEAN GATHERS ON THE DECK OF YOUR BOAT.

Making it very hard to do other equally important tasks.

Another thing that’s not at all fair about boating is your “Inventory Tab” taking up a good portion of your lower TV screen, that’s all together GREAT if you don’t happen to be sailing DOWNWARDS and Into freaking Cookie Cutters, I HATE these things… and they are EVERYWHERE

Yeah yeah yeah I know “Uncompromising” But there’s a difference between fun, and unnecessarily difficult.

Not being able to simply HIDE your Inventory means that a SWARM OF COOKIE CUTTERS UNDERNEATH THAT Inventory Tab can and will board and destroy your boat.

Its just not fun.. And with things like taming Gnarwail only being able to be done by dragging and dropping meat over him- It’s like the content is being designed with KB+Mouse as the main control input and Console Controllers are secondary.

Boating on an Xbox using a Console Controller isn’t fun, Which is probably why there are a ton of people on a daily basis begging & wanting back Shipwrecked style boating, because the current boats are designed very poorly for us Console Players.. Random things cluttering up the deck of your boat you can’t simply throw into the ocean & get rid of just isn’t fun.

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

Lunar island isn't that great anymore...  It was great when it provided kelp / stonefruit and we didn't have ways to produce vegies reliably.  Now that we have gardening I don't even bring these back anymore.  Besides that, there isn't much to get.  Maybe anenemy for farms?  I certainly wouldn't rush those.

Kelp was never that good and stone fruits are still OP; Lunar still has good crafts (although only few); you can get dragon fruit early game; it has good spiders for webber; it has moths for the best critter; it has reeds and plenty of driftwood; it has nitre, moonrocks and gold. How is a reliable, easy to set up/maintain way of getting a stack or rocks every few days from your own base not OP? + You get veggies (of value 1!?) as a bonus.

1 hour ago, Shosuko said:

The main reason it doesn't work is a combination of Wavy triggering at WAY too high sanity in places you can't despawn him from, and wildfires...  My fire pump caught on fire wtf is this?  Its utter disappointment.

As cheggf said, you can build ice flingo against wildfires. But yeah, fire pump is dissapointing. I'd advocate for increasing the range, so that you can use it for coastline bases, and I would love if it could water farm plots.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Yeah, exactly. Sailing before Wavy was added was a ton of fun.

It was only OK imo. It was too slow back then (even with sails)

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Now Wavy, the most destructive enemy in the game who is way more dangerous than four terrorbeaks (0-2 spawn at 15% sanity) will spawn if you or anyone else is at 75% sanity and he will hide in your structures and be unable to be dismissed, requiring you to just sit on his hand all night long.

No, he's not the most destructive enemy. And he almost no danger at all. It's an enemy you mostly ignore (unless you are under 25% sanity and your boat is under 50 hp)

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Yes, you can stop Wavy if you ensure you and everyone else is above 75% sanity (headache animation starts at 50% sanity so you have to ask people what their sanity is). Yes, you can stop Wavy if you ensure you and everyone else is always in positions where he'll spawn in a place that works and then fight him with everyone returning to said positions after each banish. But I don't care.

Yes, you don't have to care, you can usually ignore that shadow enemy.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

I don't find it fun to put in a bunch of effort just because there's a glitched enemy.

You don't have to put almost any effort into it.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

I want that glitched enemy to no longer be glitched.

Unless you are talking about a real glitch, stop calling it a "bug" or a "glitch". How are you so certain it isn't intended as a feature? How are you so certain it is a result of bad logic and/or badly written code?

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Why are people so against the idea of Klei patching out a bug that literally doesn't affect them at all?

I wouldn't really mind That much. I just don't like the attidute of complaining against a feature that has a multitude of different solutions.

1 hour ago, Cheggf said:

Why are they so upset that in the thread about opinions on the ocean I gave my opinion on the ocean?

Why would I argue with you if i was upset with you giving your opinion? Arguing with you inevitably makes you give more opinions, no? It wouldn't compute. I am just upset (and as i said, not That much) with your proposed change. And i wanted to offer you my proven solutions.

I feel like i should note, that my opinion on sailing is skewed by having some client side mods (mainly minimap, but sometimes also using observer camera). But i tried sailing for 5 days with fully stacked boat base, without those mods and it was ok. I realized that Wavy Jones poses no danger compared to not having a minimap. So, I guess official minimap would go much longer way to making sailing more enjoyable for many people compared to making Wavy Jones spawn differently.

DST-boating-experience.png

2 hours ago, Hornete said:

But yeah, there absolutely needs to be something done about Wavey spawning on structures. While I never experience the problem myself, it's not about me, it's about players getting into boating. It feels really bad to get into boating and you get this silly little shadow creature stuck on your boat because you can't scare them away. It's terribly discouraging to experience and I hope Klei does something about it. 

So is death. Pretty discouraging. I play mainly on pubs, and usually when somone dies, they leave immediately. They don't even say goodbye, my corpse is there and there. They just leave, probably because of frustration, feeling of shame or I don't know why...

If Wavy Jones spawining point was random, sure i would be against him spawning behind structures. But he doesn't, he has pretty clear mechanics, that you can work around. And if players drown, they can learn from their mistakes, just like with any other mistake in this game. Should Klei remove all frustrating mechanics?

I usually suggest not building masts and steering wheels and not reliying on anchors to new people who want to get into boating. That way, Wavy poses almost no danger at all.

And to experienced players, I suggest using winged sails - I'm pretty sure the only thing Wavy can do is to put them down, not set them up. And I suggest using oar for slowdown to prevent collision instead of anchors. That way the sanity threshold isn't 75%, but 50% for fires (which isn't big deal) and 25% for removing boat patches (which also isn't big deal).

2 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Can you fill a watering can from a boat?

Not from the ocean, but you can extinguish smoldering things by hand at the cost of 3 health and save the watering can for if you were ever too slow and something burst into flames. A single can should last just about forever that way.

Or you can put ice in an ice box, each ice will restore I believe one use. 

2 hours ago, Shosuko said:

Now nights are "stand in this specific space all night b/c if I move Wavy will obviously pick that moment to spawn in a blocked space."  Its horrible design.  Wavy wouldn't be so bad if he was a much lower sanity threashold, but seriously the threshold is so high its just rediculous.

I haven't had a night like that on the sea for a long time.
1) he despawns and doesn't annoy you anymore after 3 dissapearings. It takes like what, half a minute?
2) You can design your boat, so that your steering wheel is opposite to some free space.
3) You can ignore him, if your boat has no basic masts and doesn't rely on anchors. (basic masts are overrated anyways)

I wouldn't mind him appearing at a lower sanity threshold either. Not for your reasons, but it doesn't make sense, that Wavy appears so early when every other shadow monsters appears much later. It's not consistent.

29 minutes ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

Kelp was never that good and stone fruits are still OP; Lunar still has good crafts (although only few); you can get dragon fruit early game; it has good spiders for webber; it has moths for the best critter; it has reeds and plenty of driftwood; it has nitre, moonrocks and gold. How is a reliable, easy to set up/maintain way of getting a stack or rocks every few days from your own base not OP? + You get veggies (of value 1!?) as a bonus.

Kelp did what it needed to do.  It provided a year round, fertilizer / wither free source of vegies.  Stone fruits are hardly op.  The main advantage they give you is lasting forever in stone form.  Otherwise I get more crops just farming.  The main reason to get them was just to have a vegie filler, and that's easily covered by the new farms.  I don't care about getting dragonfruit, I think its highly overrated.  idk if webber wants to rush lunar to bring back those spiders, or just rush spitters...  I don't play webber, but you're the only person I've seen mention these spiders so I doubt they're that good.  Reeds, rocks, nitre etc are all on the main land.

Rushing lunar hasn't been good in a while.  Certainly its not *bad* because few things are bad in this game.  Old farms weren't so bad you couldn't use them if you wanted...  but they certainly weren't good.

The only real advantage of rushing lunar is access to the celestial portal b/c there is usually enough moon rock for the upgrade, and you can craft the upgrade tools any time.  I doubt that's rush-worthy either though.

As cheggf said, you can build ice flingo against wildfires. But yeah, fire pump is dissapointing. I'd advocate for increasing the range, so that you can use it for coastline bases, and I would love if it could water farm plots.

Flingo are also horrible on boats.  You still have to stop sailing for them to work.  They are also a structure which has collision so it screws you out of more useful structures for boat basing.

I feel like i should note, that my opinion on sailing is skewed by having some client side mods (mainly minimap, but sometimes also using observer camera). But i tried sailing for 5 days with fully stacked boat base, without those mods and it was ok. I realized that Wavy Jones poses no danger compared to not having a minimap. So, I guess official minimap would go much longer way to making sailing more enjoyable for many people compared to making Wavy Jones spawn differently.

Minimap would definitely skew your sense of sailing.  Spending 5 days sailing is pretty short too.  Try launching a boat as soon as you can, and staying on it as much as you can.  Go through all the seasons.

If Wavy Jones spawining point was random, sure i would be against him spawning behind structures. But he doesn't, he has pretty clear mechanics, that you can work around. And if players drown, they can learn from their mistakes, just like with any other mistake in this game. Should Klei remove all frustrating mechanics?

A pretty clear mechanic of "sit here all night" yeah we covered that.

5 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Kelp did what it needed to do.  It provided a year round, fertilizer / wither free source of vegies.  Stone fruits are hardly op.  The main advantage they give you is lasting forever in stone form.  Otherwise I get more crops just farming.  The main reason to get them was just to have a vegie filler, and that's easily covered by the new farms.  I don't care about getting dragonfruit, I think its highly overrated.  idk if webber wants to rush lunar to bring back those spiders, or just rush spitters...  I don't play webber, but you're the only person I've seen mention these spiders so I doubt they're that good.  Reeds, rocks, nitre etc are all on the main land.

They are OP more for the constant influx of rocks than for the veggies. They are also OP for being easy to maintain. Sure, if you're talking about experienced player, who can farm, farms are more productive (as they should be), but newbies can't really farm very effectively and they mostly sit at base and hunt rabbits and ice during winter. If you bring them stone fruits, you will basically ensure their survival. You can also bring stone fruit to your temporary bases, for example to ruins.

5 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Rushing lunar hasn't been good in a while...

I don't think i said it's worth to rush it compared to other rush-worthy locations. The point of Lunar isn't op gear as from the ruins or from the bosses, but it has pretty diversified selection of resources. I don't go there for 1 or 2 specific items. I go there for it all. It's a neat and convenient package of reeds, minerals, wood, stone fruits and anenemies. It fills your sanity and isn't nearly as dangerous as other rush-worthy goals (whether it's a boss you want to rush, or ruins). It's also pretty easy to stumble upon during your exploration of the mainland, so you don't have to look for it specifically. I don't recall a more generous biome...

18 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

Minimap would definitely skew your sense of sailing.  Spending 5 days sailing is pretty short too.  Try launching a boat as soon as you can, and staying on it as much as you can.  Go through all the seasons.

I'm aware of it. And i will try it. The observer camera is also a pretty big deal. It helps you locate resources such as driftwood, planks, message in a bottle or the sea biomes much more easily. I felt it fair to point out my opinion doesn't come from pure vanilla.

28 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

A pretty clear mechanic of "sit here all night" yeah we covered that.

Yes, I did and you didn't even quote that, so there it is:

46 minutes ago, Cr4zyFl4mes said:

I haven't had a night like that on the sea for a long time.
1) he despawns and doesn't annoy you anymore after 3 dissapearings. It takes like what, half a minute?
2) You can design your boat, so that your steering wheel is opposite to some free space.
3) You can ignore him, if your boat has no basic masts and doesn't rely on anchors. (basic masts are overrated anyways)

I wouldn't mind him appearing at a lower sanity threshold either. Not for your reasons, but it doesn't make sense, that Wavy appears so early when every other shadow monsters appears much later. It's not consistent.

I don't generally bother putting fire-suppressing structures on my boat, I just carry a stack of water balloons.

15 hours ago, GenomeSquirrel said:

still overly expensive and  booby trapped

it's different enough than land living that it could alleviate monotony, but everything has the feeling of switching from a can opener to a hammer for opening cans, more effort and worse results

I don't particularly agree with your opinion, but I'm entertained by your analogy.

Masts should continue to turn themselves if you have to leave the steering wheel but have already turned the mast in the direction your wanting to sail within, it is frustratingly annoying that the little on screen indicator circle that looks like Wortox’s soul hop circle clearly shows your wanting your boat to go in a certain direction, but the MAST is taking its dear sweet time turning in that direction so you end up smashing into land instead of going out to sea even though your on screen indicator circle was pointed OUT TOWARDS SEA.

This would colossally prevent me from having dozens of Mishaps.

Another Thing that needs fixing which I addressed in the QoL thread is that Deck Illuminator shouldn’t give off LESS light then just equipping a standard hand lantern.

Wavey Jones isn’t a problem, he’s mostly passive- and won’t do anything seriously dangerous to your boat until you get low on sanity, What WILL absolutely wreck your boat however is TerrorClaw which will spawn if your sanity is much lower then Wavey toying with your boat.

7 hours ago, Shosuko said:

The fire is also a big problem.

How is fire and smoldering a problem? Given the size of a boat it is impossible to miss when an object starts smoldering. >_> You simply extinguish it. If anything actually starts burning Ice Staves are you best friend. No need to waste space on water pumps nor ice flingomatics. You are greatly exaggerating, because I typically prefer summers for sailing and it was never ever a problem for me. The only fire related incident I ever experienced at sea was when a Sea Weed started smoldering and caught on fire and decided to lash it out on me, for some reason. Also, summers are great for sailing because of the long days which allows for surveying the sea from the boat in contrast to toggling the map (this is one of the few sailing mechanics that feels so-so; having to toggle the normal map due to darkness / limited visibility).

I voted alright, most of the annoying stuff with regards to wrangling the raft would be alleviated i imagine with more players since thats what they were made for but ive always sailed alone. 

Besides that i think the ocean still lacks some fundamental stuff that was present in sw but missing in dst like:

• fish farms and mussel sticks
  • activities like trawlnetting,
  • ocean hunts,
  • mid sized creatures like dogfish, the 2 jellies, stinkrays, ballphins, swordfish etc. Dst only has the very elusive squids and the water spiders i guess. 
  • Yaarctopus for me was also a fun and major attraction in the SW ocean. The dst equivalent would be pearl i guess but i traded with yaar on cooldown and rarely ever trade with pearl tbh
  • Oil drill was also really interesting.
  • ocean walls, buoys, boat repair station etc

Im not suggesting these things be ported 1:1 but all of these things and more made the sw ocean more eventful than what we have so far in DST. 

I also wonder if that unimplemented throwing net will ever be added. A way to retrieve items like drift wood and bottles from a distance would such a hugeee qol thing. I dread passing by a bottle with my masts down cuz its such a tedious nightmare to retrieve if u cant steer towards it in time. 

1 hour ago, Captain_Rage said:

How is fire and smoldering a problem? Given the size of a boat it is impossible to miss when an object starts smoldering. >_> You simply extinguish it. If anything actually starts burning Ice Staves are you best friend. No need to waste space on water pumps nor ice flingomatics. You are greatly exaggerating, because I typically prefer summers for sailing and it was never ever a problem for me. The only fire related incident I ever experienced at sea was when a Sea Weed started smoldering and caught on fire and decided to lash it out on me, for some reason. Also, summers are great for sailing because of the long days which allows for surveying the sea from the boat in contrast to toggling the map (this is one of the few sailing mechanics that feels so-so; having to toggle the normal map due to darkness / limited visibility).

ppl always gotta give alternatives, but the fact is the water pump sucks, and that's the problem.  Why does it smolder anyway?  I already use xy AND z counter fire measure, I'm not a noob at this, that doesn't make it any less stupid that we have a fire pump that completely fails at its job.

58 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

ppl always gotta give alternatives, but the fact is the water pump sucks, and that's the problem.  Why does it smolder anyway?  I already use xy AND z counter fire measure, I'm not a noob at this, that doesn't make it any less stupid that we have a fire pump that completely fails at its job.

and since you need to interact with it, if something start catching on fire while you are fishing you need to decide if you lose the fish+lure and bait or you lose the entire boat...

i made a suggestion to make the pump wet things so you could use it before fishing without worry about fires

The water pump makes for a nice backup fire extinguisher on coastal lureplant farms. At sea it serves little purpose. It is just another object that might catch on fire. The fewer combustible objects you keep on a boat the smaller the fire hazard will be. As mentioned, fire hazard at sea is not a huge problem. I am by no means a stellar player and if I can manage without looking into guides it can't be a complicated game mechanic. If the water pump doesn't serve your purpose, then why use it? With same logic I could start whining about how bad tents fare on boats at sea and insist they should be changed.

Archived