What's the common opinion on sailing nowadays?

What's the common opinion on sailing nowadays?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about the current sailing experience in DST? (ignoring resource costs)

• It's fun
    • It's alright
    • It's boring / frustrating
    • I've never sailed before

13 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

1. You say this, but as said above, Mactusks can spawn on the world's border and walk on the ocean, which is something they still haven't fixed.

not related

2. Klei is more than willing to let players block/prevent certain mob spawns, such as by destroying the structures that spawn them, placing structures were they would normally spawn, or placing traps to kill them if they can't be blocked otherwise. If a player wants to turn their boat into a floating shopping mall to block Waver Jones, then let them.

neither related but glad you bring that. When the structure make the mob uneable to reach you is a feature but when is the opposite is a bug...

3. Even if Klei does allow this, then it would have some disadvantages. Notably: the fact that you can only interact with objects in the water from specific angles. Good luck trying to harvest items you can't reach.

obviously you wont fill the boat if wavy work in that way but you would be able to place more structures which also will reduce the risk, kinda stupid mechanic, isnt it? instead of thinking what you need the most just throw all into the boat. 

This isnt about you but im having fun reading some bitter user(s) that always make fun of unexperience player's inventory management but when their boat management is horrible they call it a bug

1. Hamlet's kinda just broken/rushed in general. 

??? this happens since DS beta

2. There's a difference between "I got stuck on an object I placed" and "I physically can't deal with this threat becuase It spawned right in the middle of a structure"

to be honest i also see wavy being stuck as a dumb desing, having a timer so she will respawn in other place after few seconds will fix this rather than changing how structures work on boats or changing wavy to be kind enough to appear were you please (thing that already does but needs player interaction)

Ok. Here's a question. What makes you think that this is intentional? we've already established that Klei has let some bugs fit snuggly in the game for a while. And does Wavy jones have any indication that spawning under structures is intentional. Do they have a special hiding animation while under structures? Do any characters comment about how Wavey's hiding under structures? By all accounts, Wavy Jones under structures looks like a bug, behaves like a bug, thus; is probably a bug.

she spawns in the opposite side of the boat were the aimed character is, structures blocking her might be something forgoten by klei or a way to punish people who wanna live confy in the sea with birdcages, lureplants, crockpots, firepits, tents and many other unnecessary structures. Changing in the way is suggested by some users in this topic will be as stupid as changing how lureplants spawn "if there is items on the floor lureplants shouldnt spawn" as a dumb example. Klei always has look after punishing bad placement like how do you think about the size of the base for flingomatics, the turf you are using, twiggy trees producing twiggs only if placed at a good distance, gekkos not spawning if there is other nearby, fire spreading, DS seasonal bosses spawning based of how many structures are placed (i guess this was removed for dst), certain biomes having disavantage for base building, structures having range of free space as requirement to be placed to prevent building them so close and a huge etc

klei never rewards careless building so for that i can think this could be intentional in someway, maybe it didnt work as klei could expect since, surprise, they dont test things enough and some users loves to play betas and talk about stuff being buggy but there is the bug report filled mostly by larknish and hornet (sorry for only remembering those 2 users). Better have non sense arguments about something being a bug instead of reporting it

im not against changing it because is kinda silly the way it works it but i dont get why so much drama "omg wavy ruined sailing" "omg klei fix this """"""bug""""""""  and also i dont see any sense (not trying to be rude, i dont find other word) in the solutions suggested by the users complaining about wavy when the solution goes against the intention behind wavy, just the opposite

...eeeeehhhh.
That sums up how I feel.

I guess it just feels like a chore.
Sailing in calm, lifeless waters gets old.
The more active areas can be fun...when you have 2-3 people and can keep up with what's going on while also continuing to move the boat. Fighting or grabbing things while your boat is maneuvering around obstacles is interesting.
But anchoring the boat and fighting like you're on land...makes me get why some people say that boats just feel like land. Like the ocean content is just there to get you to try the boat.

Granted, I mostly play solo these days, outside of a few spur-of-the-moment runs here and there; even on servers, I like to just...provide people with things or information and see what they do with that. Solo gatherer-scout.
And in that respect, land content keeps me more interested.

So I'd say that the ocean just doesn't really matter to me. It's just...an obstacle to pass over to reach more land.
Lunar gets a bridge, once I find the strangely straight land border that usually indicates it's presence.
Pearl, same, once I find her bottle.
Salt formations, same; I've settled into a pattern of making a bridge as close as possible, then whenever I want Salt...just kamikazeing a boat through the biome, circling back around, and setting the sinking wreck on fire on my way out.

Waterlogged biome is...neat.
It's a step in the right direction, I guess I just need more things like that to pull me in.

So...
Multiplayer sailing can be fun.
Solo sailing, it just feels like a more drawn out way of getting from point A to point B. I don't want to be on the Ocean in particular.

I think that one of the problems with the Ocean is also self-containment. Most of the standard items found in the Ocean are for...the Ocean.
It feels like we're just now finishing the stage of making most things you can do on land also possible on Boats.
So...maybe things could get interesting on the Ocean going forward. Who knows.
Surprise me.

If klei ever does a rework for biomes like they are doing for characters i hope they connect the ocean with the mainland biomes like with beaches and stuff, it would be nice if the ocean biomes arent just on their own in the middle of no where too

38 minutes ago, firoborn said:

If klei ever does a rework for biomes like they are doing for characters i hope they connect the ocean with the mainland biomes like with beaches and stuff, it would be nice if the ocean biomes arent just on their own in the middle of no where too

Ocean biome directly connected to land sounds like a great idea. Maybe even to a specific land biome(s).

Like can you imagine an ocean part of the swamp with water tentacles, water merms, mosquitoes and what not...

I have no idea why i didn't think of it earlier when there was the thread for new ocean content ideas. Especially given that there is something like this in the shipwrecked DLC (I remember one biomes, but there might've been more, i played it a long time ago)

4 hours ago, firoborn said:

Age of Empires II has a tile that both land and sea units can walk on. I think the world generation could be very interesting if something like that was in this game.

image.thumb.png.18546f36ce35ec4e9bcb4d6070c60c2a.png

10 hours ago, sudoku said:

Sailing in DST is boring despite having more gameplay than Shipwrecked boats. Plain and simple. But then why does sailing work in Shipwrecked you ask? Because of the exploration the map generation gives you. Until Klei make the map larger and add more islands, or breaks up the mainland into an archipelego, sailing will continue to be boring no matter how much more in depth the boating mechanics are than SWs boats.

I share similar feelings although I have hardly played Shipwrecked. The amount of sea stacks that interfere with sailing from one point to another feels like a drag most of the time. If they were fewer in number it could be fun to simply cruise around, even if the ocean is fairly empty (not necessarily a bad thing). Their high frequency doesn't really serve much purpose.

Hopefully Klei will keep expanding the ocean content with islands and other small events out at sea. I wouldn't want the ocean to be ridden with stuff everywhere, though. It's nice to have a vast area that you can traverse by boat at a fast speed.

Navigation could have been done a bit differently, or expanded upon. It doesn't have to be excessively complicated but evading sea stacks by toggling the map gets tiresome rather quickly.

Given what Klei has done so far it looks like they are only getting started and it is amazing what we have gotten so far in free content. <3

5 hours ago, Cheggf said:

Age of Empires II has a tile that both land and sea units can walk on. I think the world generation could be very interesting if something like that was in this game.

image.thumb.png.18546f36ce35ec4e9bcb4d6070c60c2a.png

Oh, the addition of amphibious biomes could be great, they could add many ideas of mobs and flora for new resources and mechanics, maybe even we could gain the ability to build some kind of docks or bridges for boats so they could travel trough more important parts of the map and make shortcuts to different locations, maybe even the swamp could get some love.

35 minutes ago, Geo95 said:

I'm confused, isn't this thread about sailing/boat mechanics? Because I see many posts about ocean content. I voted based on how I feel about manoeuvring the boat, handling the masts, anchor, wheel etc

To be fair- Boating Content, Ocean Content and anything related to the Boat- should count.

Currently what we have is a massive sprawl of empty lifeless ocean before you sail into a point of interest (salt formations, Water Logged Biome, Seaweed Barnacles, Lunar Island) 

The problem I personally have with that is the trip to & from those points of interest is highly boring.. there’s not much to see or do and you only encounter “content” once you reach the point that content is designed to spawn from.

What I would like instead are some underwater unseen by the player “creature spawners” these can spawn peaceful or hostile mobs to just roam about in the ocean.

When I originally pitched the idea to Klei to add Water Gliding spiders- I was hoping there would be a Stray ONE or TWO and no more then just one or two.. just skidding across the surface of the water out in the oceans somewhere, instead what got was some sort of “At-Sea version spider nest that hangs from trees”

Thats great and all but it doesn’t solve my problem with boating/ocean content- You still need to sail to a point of interest to experience them.

Which continues to leave areas of the water where there aren’t any points of interest void of anything to actually see or do.

im sure everyone on these forums has played Minecraft- And we all know that enemy mobs spawn from a block literally called a “creature Spawner”

They Dont just stay in the area of this block though, they only spawn here.. and then can roam around the map filling out otherwise content-less empty areas of the game.

Maybe DST isn’t a game structured like this, but I see no reasoning behind why at the very least the oceans can’t be set up in this way.

Think of Jellyfish, Eels, Sea Turtles, Otters, the water strider spiders, you name it.. just occasionally spawning from under water spawners.

Skittersquid are an excellent example- to the best of my knowledge this mob HAS no den it spawns out of, and instead randomly spawns in the ocean and can even come ashore on land.

I want content that fills in the literal empty void of ocean and no amount of sailing my boat to a particular location where they spawn can fill in that void of travel between points of interest.

A point that I've seen brought up in regards to ocean content that I, personally, feel really summarizes its problems really well is that stuff on the Ocean doesn't solve problems on the mainland. For reference, let's just compare cave content and Ocean content.

Caves:

Light bulbs: A better light source for night

Mushroom forests: Mass-farmable healing and Sanity

Ruins gear: Fills a wide variety of useful niches. From speed and light with the Magiluminessence and starcaller's staff. better armor with crowns and suits. Deconstruction staff and construction amulet. ect. Ect.

Archives: Lets you craft turf, locators can be used as infinite light.

Ocean:

Fishing: is used for food.

Barnacles: Food, Spittle fish

Driftwood: Is only used for more ocean items

Crabby Hermit/Bottle exchange: Again, Items she offers are only good for ocean fishing.

Sunken treasure: Most of the items are for fishing. Those that aren't are either easier to get on land (lantern; Walking Cane) or require you to go to the ruins to use them.

Waterlogged biome: Figs and Grass Gators are primarily more food. Giant trees are helpful for summer, but are heavily restricted due to having to be grown in the ocean.

Moon Glass equipment: Glass axes and cutters are side grades to items that can be found on land.

Rest of the moon island stuff: Mostly food or basic resources. Renewable red/blue gems are useful, but there are better ways to farm them.

Salt shoals: Salt's main use is for an ice box side-grade, and spoilage, which is a non-issue on land and slightly more useful at sea. Cookie cutter caps are also below average.

Malbatross: Feathers are only used for items at sea, and the waterfowl can is only a slight upgrade too the watering can.

King Crab/Strident Trident: Super hard and expensive. Trident is only useful; you guessed it; while sailing.

Kelp: Another vegetable. Growth formula can be useful, but most players would probably rather just grow a self-fertilizing plant combo, or just cycle their crops to fertilize their crops with another crop.

Celestial Champion: While the moonstorm and enlightened crown definitely have their uses,

Rockjaws/Gnarwails: Rockjaws only drop meat. And Gnarwail horns are, once again, ONLY USED IN THE OCEAN.

As can be seen, going to the caves offers a wide variety of items that can help the player under or below ground. But the vast majority of ocean content is either food, an alternate way to get mainland resources, or self-contained as part of the ocean ecosystem. And even if something does have uses for the mainland, more often than not it's fringe, a side grade, or restricted somehow.

Really, if Klei wants ocean content to be explored more frequently. Then just add resources and items out there that are completely useful for those on the mainland that aren't just replacements for mainland stuff.

7 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Moon Glass equipment: Glass axes and cutters are side grades to items that can be found on land.

an alternative to dark swords more accesible and safer for non veterans. Also they dont drop sanity so they combo very well with the CC crown

glass axes are great, i dont use gold axes anymore

10 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Rest of the moon island stuff: Mostly food or basic resources. Renewable red/blue gems are useful, but there are better ways to farm them.

best source of veggies and rocks

11 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Kelp: Another vegetable. Growth formula can be useful, but most players would probably rather just grow a self-fertilizing plant combo, or just cycle their crops to fertilize their crops with another crop.

dry kelp is cool tho

im a nitpicker :P

you are right in most cases which can be a bad thing if the player dont enjoy sailing but doesnt mean it is a bad thing

21 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

an alternative to dark swords more accesible and safer for non veterans. Also they dont drop sanity so they combo very well with the CC crown

That's fair. Though they're also more fragile against anything that isn't a shadow.

glass axes are great, i dont use gold axes anymore

Again, fair enough. But ultimately you're still exploring the ocean for an arguably slightly better axe.

best source of veggies and rocks

Rocks are fair. And I would have agreed with the veggie thing pre-RWYS, But Farming ended up blowing stone fruit out of the water.

dry kelp is cool tho

Ah. I forgot you could do that. could you tell that I was writing this from memory?

im a nitpicker :P

Ditto

you are right in most cases which can be a bad thing if the player dont enjoy sailing but doesnt mean it is a bad thing

Hard disagree. While some players may not enjoy some parts of the game over others. Sailing being a prime example. Ultimately, Don't Starve is a survival game with a large world you're intended to explore. And if you can just not explore a massive part of said world without missing out on much, then I'd say that's a failure in game design.

10 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Again, fair enough. But ultimately you're still exploring the ocean for an arguably slightly better axe.

reaching the island takes few time since is usually close to main land and the shape tells you where to start looking for, with the new row mechanics shouldnt take more than half day rowing

11 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

That's fair. Though they're also more fragile against anything that isn't a shadow.

yes, they need a downside after all x) and is just 25 hits less than a dark swork (which you end using more since you need to kill shadows if the sanity drain isnt fought with sanity restoration) and with how much glass you get from the grotto the real cost is the 4 logs

14 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

And I would have agreed with the veggie thing pre-RWYS, But Farming ended up blowing stone fruit out of the water.

for veggie filler stone fruit>>>>rwys

1 weather pain use and you get veggies for years meanwhile you need a lot of time and some resources to get the same amount via farming

not as strong as before but still being the best way of getting veggie fillers

15 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

Ah. I forgot you could do that

i love it combine with the crown, maybe isnt super efficient but is so confortable

16 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

And if you can just not explore a massive part of said world without missing out on much, then I'd say that's a failure in game design.

caves had this problem too but we all like ruins (i know the loot is good but isnt necessary)

Lmao at Dont starve being a survival game where your meant to explore, but.. people can just take almost all useful resources TO their base..

theres not a problem with Ocean Content.. aside from it needing more stuff. There is however.. a Massive problem with being able to build a Mega Base and taking everything to your base instead of needing to journey out and gather.

In real life- Plants and Wildlife can only grow and thrive in certain climates, Or habitations, they can of-course be grown elsewhere but doing so requires way more care & effort then if they were just grown where they can grow themselves.

RWYS Gardening is an instant “I’m just gonna stay in my base & chill simulator”

Why? Because for some reason Klei thinks it’s a good idea to give players more reason to never need to leave their base.

Anyone who has played Dont Starve or it’s DLCs can tell you that just setting up base somewhere and living forever isn’t what makes the game exciting, it’s having to journey to different locations, gather different things, or take frequent trips back to those locations for those things that things will get chaotic & fun.

But with people able to use exploits like building a massive bridge of boats to locations, or planting Lureplants on them and never needing to worry about the eyes spawning to attack you- Those are just Dumb…

Pearls Island shows the Lureplant on her turf growing without the eyes around it, Which should be a clear indication to the player that if they planted Lureplants on the same type of Turf (which she actually unlocks for you at some point) then they too can avoid the dangers involved.

INSTEAD they can be grown on the deck of a boat platform and sailed across the ocean, if people needed to build Beach Turf on islands to plant these Lureplants- It would guarantee you will take frequent sailing trips 

But for some reason- Klei seems to be Okay with letting the Lureplant on a Boat trick continue to exist.

7 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Lmao at Dont starve being a survival game where your meant to explore, but.. people can just take almost all useful resources TO their base..

your conception of difficulty is kinda rare

walking to get 5 grass isnt difficult but annoying

what kills you in that exciting journey to the next biome? the only danger is weather which is as simple as playing the season for few minutes and hounds

walk simulators are the new hardcore tryhard games

btw, try to build a mega base and tell me that is easier than just walking arround gathering basic materials. I died more times tying to defend the builds and decorative mobs  than picking grass and twigs like a 1h player

13 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

your conception of difficulty is kinda rare

walking to get 5 grass isnt difficult but annoying

what kills you in that exciting journey to the next biome? the only danger is weather which is as simple as playing the season for few minutes and hounds

walk simulators are the new hardcore tryhard games

btw, try to build a mega base and tell me that is easier than just walking arround gathering basic materials. I died more times tying to defend the builds and decorative mobs  than picking grass and twigs like a 1h player

I feel as if you are colossally missing my point, people complain about boating content because the items you can get on the ocean are self contained, they want resources as amazing as going to caves content- and Fireflies being renewable at Water Logged Biome is a good start..

But if people can just build lureplant farms on the deck of their boats instead of maybe gee I don’t know- Sailing all the way out to pearls island and planting them there…

OF COURSE They’re going to complain about boating content.

Theyll even create massive bridges of multiple boat platforms on what SHOULD Be a highly dangerous unpredictable landscape full of aquatic mobs, or rough weather.. 

Instead it’s a nice little bridge hop between a very disturbingly peaceful and flat ocean.

And I get it- Ocean content for DST is still a Work in Progress.. but there are several changes Klei could do in the meantime to improve it as they add more to it.

...I can say this much about the designs.

The Lunar Grotto biome got me more interested in messing around in the Caves, in a way that I kind of hadn't been in a while. It's just...nice to look at. The ceiling elements. The water flowing down. The creatures that give it the feeling of a Fae realm creeping in.
The Waterlogged biome has the same appeal to me, despite being able to make miniature versions of the trees.
If I do find myself on the Ocean, I like to go there...because it's a complete biome with unique features and creatures and decorative bits that all mesh together perfectly. The canopy is the icing on top that brings it all together. It's the kind of design approach I'd like to see applied to old mainland biomes.

Time put into aesthetic designs can go a long way. I'm not saying that the Ocean should be filled with that kind of stuff...
But giving the big blue expanse between landmasses and biomes some unique bits and life could be a start. Maybe even more color variations in the water, depending on what it's near.

Little touches. Polish.
Set pieces.

16 hours ago, Theukon-dos said:

A point that I've seen brought up in regards to ocean content that I, personally, feel really summarizes its problems really well is that stuff on the Ocean doesn't solve problems on the mainland. For reference, let's just compare cave content and Ocean content.

Caves:

Light bulbs: A better light source for night

Mushroom forests: Mass-farmable healing and Sanity

Ruins gear: Fills a wide variety of useful niches. From speed and light with the Magiluminessence and starcaller's staff. better armor with crowns and suits. Deconstruction staff and construction amulet. ect. Ect.

Archives: Lets you craft turf, locators can be used as infinite light.

Ocean:

Fishing: is used for food.

Barnacles: Food, Spittle fish

Driftwood: Is only used for more ocean items

Crabby Hermit/Bottle exchange: Again, Items she offers are only good for ocean fishing.

Sunken treasure: Most of the items are for fishing. Those that aren't are either easier to get on land (lantern; Walking Cane) or require you to go to the ruins to use them.

Waterlogged biome: Figs and Grass Gators are primarily more food. Giant trees are helpful for summer, but are heavily restricted due to having to be grown in the ocean.

Salt shoals: Salt's main use is for an ice box side-grade, and spoilage, which is a non-issue on land and slightly more useful at sea. Cookie cutter caps are also below average.

Malbatross: Feathers are only used for items at sea, and the waterfowl can is only a slight upgrade too the watering can.

King Crab/Strident Trident: Super hard and expensive. Trident is only useful; you guessed it; while sailing.

Celestial Champion: While the moonstorm and enlightened crown definitely have their uses,

Rockjaws/Gnarwails: Rockjaws only drop meat. And Gnarwail horns are, once again, ONLY USED IN THE OCEAN.

As can be seen, going to the caves offers a wide variety of items that can help the player under or below ground. But the vast majority of ocean content is either food, an alternate way to get mainland resources, or self-contained as part of the ocean ecosystem. And even if something does have uses for the mainland, more often than not it's fringe, a side grade, or restricted somehow.

Really, if Klei wants ocean content to be explored more frequently. Then just add resources and items out there that are completely useful for those on the mainland that aren't just replacements for mainland stuff.

I admit, I expected the crafting tab to be much more developed, before they ended the RoT update line. I was dissapointed they didn't add more stuff, that would be useful on mainland.

That said, you underrate (or don't mention) some items like:

• salt box (very useful on pubs if there are competent people generating a lot of food), can be crafted very early, while getting a ton of MM in the process, so it isn't a waste of time; also if you're plaing alone and can't fight BQ.
  • Growth formula - mainly if you're playing wormwood - it's cheap and basically infinite source of bloom
  • Stone fruit bushes - easy to maintain, source not only of food
  • Glass axes - alterntive for weather pain (somone might murder all the vold´t goats or you might be unlucky + the feathers can be used for luxury fans) if you want to solo TS.
  • Glass cutters are generally great
  • Spectacler box - a 15-slot container that you can carry in your inventory (even if only for limited selection of items such as seeds, berries, figs, twigs)
  • a Mothling - the only useful critter

Plus having alternatives is great

• the food sources of the sea can be relocated (figs, barnacles, kelp, stone fruit) - all growing during the whole year an extremely easy to harvest even for noobs (farms are not very noob-friendly)
  • the risk of sea is much lower than going to the ruins
  • and remember, some people play with caves disabled - which I personally hate, but there are many servers like that

But I agree with you, the drops are pretty underwhelming (rockjaws, lunar crafting tab), especially if you want something for the mainland as well (ck, malbatross, pearl's exchange tab for the most part, gnarwails)

I like that fireflies are renewable now specifically within the Water Logged Biome, I would absolutely love to see more content like that-

Make a Beefalo’s salt lick require actual salt.

Fix the Lureplant on boat exploit and make people have to craft Beach Turf like Pearls to place those farms.

Add a Water Logged Biome part 2 where Reeds will regrow here on their own naturally in the Waters like they are found in DS Hamlet.

Basically the TL:DR- Give players reasons to go out to sea more often.

18 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I feel as if you are colossally missing my point, people complain about boating content because the items you can get on the ocean are self contained, they want resources as amazing as going to caves content- and Fireflies being renewable at Water Logged Biome is a good start..

But if people can just build lureplant farms on the deck of their boats instead of maybe gee I don’t know- Sailing all the way out to pearls island and planting them there…

OF COURSE They’re going to complain about boating content.

Theyll even create massive bridges of multiple boat platforms on what SHOULD Be a highly dangerous unpredictable landscape full of aquatic mobs, or rough weather.. 

Instead it’s a nice little bridge hop between a very disturbingly peaceful and flat ocean.

And I get it- Ocean content for DST is still a Work in Progress.. but there are several changes Klei could do in the meantime to improve it as they add more to it.

While a survival game with resources spread out would be interesting. That's not DST (Also, even if you can relocate resources, you still have to explore to find them in the first place)

But in general. How is that any different from what I brought up? The only difference between what I said and what you said is that instead of coming up with new items, you'd force players to sea for resources that already exist. Which would technically work, but really wouldn't feel good. Again, just add new resources and items that the player has to said for that also have utility on the mainland. Better yet, make them resources that the player wants multiple of so they go on multiple trips. Which in hindsight, is just what you want, but good.

37 minutes ago, Theukon-dos said:

While a survival game with resources spread out would be interesting. That's not DST (Also, even if you can relocate resources, you still have to explore to find them in the first place)

But in general. How is that any different from what I brought up? The only difference between what I said and what you said is that instead of coming up with new items, you'd force players to sea for resources that already exist. Which would technically work, but really wouldn't feel good. Again, just add new resources and items that the player has to said for that also have utility on the mainland. Better yet, make them resources that the player wants multiple of so they go on multiple trips. Which in hindsight, is just what you want, but good.

Because.. instead of making Reeds renewable in a Swamp, they should renew in a mossy covered water biome, like cattails or something.

If the player is careless enough to let all the Reeds in a swamp burn away/ get destroyed, then they would be guaranteed out in a distance boat biome.

Giving players incentive to go to sea, but only if the original source is no longer viable.

19 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Because.. instead of making Reeds renewable in a Swamp, they should renew in a mossy covered water biome, like cattails or something.

If the player is careless enough to let all the Reeds in a swamp burn away/ get destroyed, then they would be guaranteed out in a distance boat biome.

Giving players incentive to go to sea, but only if the original source is no longer viable.

but the request of making reeds renewable isnt only to protect the resource but to prevent the biome to become empty and ugly

your biome idea is cool, i loved the hamlet's lake but plants in the main land should be added in the regrowth mechanic, even if is 1 unit per century

22 hours ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

but the request of making reeds renewable isnt only to protect the resource but to prevent the biome to become empty and ugly

your biome idea is cool, i loved the hamlet's lake but plants in the main land should be added in the regrowth mechanic, even if is 1 unit per century

I mean I might be wrong about this- but I feel like we are about to see some pretty huge changes to the heart and core of DST- And personally I would love to see biomes that have been exactly the same since 2013 getting a nice 2022 overhaul-

it’s Time Klei… just look at how much more beautiful Minecraft becomes when it updates, changes and improves its biomes. Caves & Cliffs part 2 is absolutely gorgeous <3

I would love to see those same massive sweeping changes done to DST, of course: you can always still include a “Classic” way of play so people who enjoy the game pre-overhaul can continue to enjoy things before the change.

Personally I feel like Ocean Content could be made more fun if what’s already in the game was just presented to us in a new way- like for example…

Stray Striders out gliding on the seas, all the mainland biomes being broken apart into archipelago islands, with their very own respective Ocean content around them, less salt stacks cluttered in one area with 100 cookie cutters, maybe one stray salt stack with at most 3-4 cookie cutters around it, oh and certain land mobs that SHOULD be able to swim being able to swim.

(it baffles and makes me sad that You programmed hounds to swim, but you did not show the same love to frogs- They swim in Hamlet!)

I mean yes.. new ocean content is nice (unless it’s crab king) but ultimately: I just want what’s already in the game presenting itself in new ways.

Archived