Ocean Content Concepts

2 hours ago, Dextops said:

eh i don't really count islands imo don't really add anything to the ocean imo its just another part of the mainland but you gotta make a pancake to reach i think actually adding content to the ocean itself is a lot better 

If most of the Mainland biomes were broken apart from the clustertruck (that’s a game on gamepass by the way pretty fun too.) of a jumbled together mess that they are- Something the Klei Devs have HEAVILY Hinted they may actually do sometime in the future (either through new world Gen settings or something else entirely..) then imagine things like NOT being able to find a Beefalo Savannah to ring a Bell in your Beefalo’s ear and have it follow you around until you’ve built a boat and explored the ocean till you found the biome they happen to be inhabiting. They don’t even need to add “New” content- just offer what’s already there in a “New Way” Pig King is no longer just a cobblestone walk away, if Sailing from biome to Biome isn’t your cup of tea, I’m pretty sure some of them will be accessible through wormhole tunnels or by going through caves.

Were playing a game that’s getting content in 2021 that’s still largely following its 2013 structure.

and personally I want to see Islands out there with Elevated foundations of land to them so no only do I have to FIND the island, but I also have to sail AROUND the outside of the island until I found an area within that island that isn’t elevated and I can explore.

Spoiler

3DEAB02B-4370-4836-BCF0-34E5BF27ED46.jpeg.7762bf98e8ce1d3f196c23eb04724580.jpeg

Basically doubling as both a WALL preventing people from just walking (or sailing) in a straight line (my personal largest problem with the way the entire game is structured..) and as a visually eyeball pleasing change that adds something NEW to the game that makes it feel more like a 2021 sequel.

and just adding more “do stuff on boat” is never going to provide that-

and besides- How much stuff can you actually reasonably do while still tethered on top of a very tiny little wooden platform before it starts to just become tediously ridiculous? I’m legit asking- What that they HAVENT done yet can still be done while being stuck on the boat?

Shoal fishing? Salt Formations & fighting Cookie cutters? Shaving Seaweeds in a Barnacle biome? Using a Winch to pull up sunken treasures? Collecting lose items throughout the ocean? Ramming a boat into a gigantic tree in the ocean that drops spiders on its deck? 

Being stuck to this platform isn’t fun.. it’s boring. A boat platform isn’t going to allow gameplay mechanics like a new Frozen Tundra where the ground itself is a slippery sheet of hard ice that you will slide about on top of.. there’s only SO MUCH they can do with you still being constrained to that Wooden platform…

Ocean Content > Boat Content any day of the week.

And you’ll be hard pressed to change my mind unless any of you can provide really good ideas of things to do while still being stuck on this wooden platform that haven’t been done yet.

1 minute ago, minespatch said:

This still qualifies as “Land Content” that’s in the ocean though…

that’s what my really long posts have been trying to explain- there’s very VERY Limited stuff you can do while not being able to leave the Boat Cookie Platform.

Something like THIS would require you to hop “OFF” the Boat Cookie and explore the turtles back.

So what your all really wanting, is more land biomes out in the ocean that require sailing to and then hopping off the boat to explore.

Rather then everything you experience being limited to you staying on your little wooden platform.

I do think more islands is a good call. Mainland gameplay has a distinct game cycle, swapping between pottering around base and going out on expeditions. Whenever you get bored of one, you can switch to the other. 

Ocean gameplay lacks this, because the boats are themselves a portable base. All the chores happen on the boat. All the exploration happens on the boat. I think that's part of the reason it gets stale quickly for me. Everything is boat, all the time. 

At some point, players need a break from boat. Plus, weighing anchor and setting foot on new lands provide a nice little moment of satisfaction you don't get from ocean content. 

2 hours ago, QuQuasar said:

I do think more islands is a good call. Mainland gameplay has a distinct game cycle, swapping between pottering around base and going out on expeditions. Whenever you get bored of one, you can switch to the other. 

Ocean gameplay lacks this, because the boats are themselves a portable base. All the chores happen on the boat. All the exploration happens on the boat. I think that's part of the reason it gets stale quickly for me. Everything is boat, all the time. 

At some point, players need a break from boat. Plus, weighing anchor and setting foot on new lands provide a nice little moment of satisfaction you don't get from ocean content. 

There’s only so much you can do from a boat platform and no amount of content Klei adds to the game can change that.. they even had scrapped concept arts for temporary boat “Lily pads” that slowly sink over time- I believe ultimately the reason these WEREN’T added is because Klei asked themselves the same question I would have asked: “who the heck is going to get on a temporary boat that’s sinking when they can just stay on the actual boat that’s guaranteed not to sink?”

This Boat and trying to design content for it is actually highly limiting us in the content we could be getting- You can’t find a gigantic island turtle and get off the boat to explore its back that may or may not surface & sink after a period of time.. Klei designs games like HOT LAVA so they’re no stranger to giving players areas they can stand on then need to retreat to a safe location during lava rising, a Sea Island turtle would be no different, when it started sinking you would need to run to something on it that’s not going to sink long enough for it to resurface (could even be the above mentioned scrapped Lily pads) BUT…. you still have to get OFF the boat to experience any of that- and that’s where the problem comes in.

We can’t ever get an Arctic Icy Biome where the ground itself is frozen water we slip and glide across its surface like ice skating with brand new arctic mobs and resources as long as we are confined to experiencing content while still standing on this incredibly boring wooden boat cookie.

Even the above “Underwater” stuff requires you ABANDON the Wooden Platform to explore a new LAND BIOME (albeit one that’s underwater but you get the point)

8 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Shoal fishing? Salt Formations & fighting Cookie cutters? Shaving Seaweeds in a Barnacle biome? Using a Winch to pull up sunken treasures? Collecting lose items throughout the ocean? Ramming a boat into a gigantic tree in the ocean that drops spiders on its deck? 

Being stuck to this platform isn’t fun.. it’s boring. A boat platform isn’t going to allow blah blah blah

You make it sound unfun, but there is people that enjoy that, and klei aims to those people

15 hours ago, MikoFanboy said:

The sad thing is, ocean is boring and every ocean content (although it looks nice and pretty) is boring 

and it's because of the cookie boat

I firmly believe that DST ships are far more potential and fun than SW ships, both for single players and for multiplayer. Compared to DST's real ships, SW boats are basically water shoes, they just carry what you would normally do on land onto the light blue surface. Think of fighting kraken like Pirates of the Caribbean, visiting the wonders of the ocean like Life of PI. Only DST ships can do these things well.

However, Klei developers clearly need to settle down and spend some time playing their own games to figure out what they did and where it might go in the future. Most of the ocean battles seem to have been designed without consideration for the fragility and smallness of the ship, nor does it take into account that the ship is actually a small base for the player, which magnifies the ship's shortcomings even though it's not really that bad.

14 minutes ago, Cassielu said:

I firmly believe that DST ships are far more potential and fun than SW ships, both for single players and for multiplayer. Compared to DST's real ships,

I saw this in the latest posts box and thought you were talking about romantic ships.

Personally I think if Walani were to be added to DST (crosses fingers) it'd be nice if she had her surfboard as an exclusive character item and it worked similarly to how it did in SW; I've seen a mod that implements it with the physics of the circle boats and steering it is a nightmare. Apart from that idea I'm OK with DST boats working like DST boats.

I'm in favour of adding more islands to visit; Pearl's island was a good addition, I'd like more similar little islands. I think it would also be fun if there were giant lilypads or somesuch that weren't exactly land but that the survivors could get off the boat and walk around on. Or icebergs, I guess; I can't see them surviving the summer (it'd certainly be weird if they did and you could expire of overheating while standing on a big block of ice) and I can't see any explanation other than magic for adding a biome where they persist all year, but they'd fit in during the winter.

Something that hasn’t been mentioned yet, but our current ocean is somewhat “unrealistic” without waves or tides. Yes, I know unrealistic is a strong word for a world like DST. Still I bet you get what I mean, the very concept of “ocean” comes with waves and tides, we currently have sort of a big lake.

Should Waves and tides be added?

Perhaps getting those should change with the season and weather too.

6 minutes ago, JustAPineapple said:

What I'm hearing from this thread is a lot of people just dislike sailing a boat that actually feels like sailing a boat with all the risks and troubles and attention that comes with it, and would rather simply effectively walk on water like in shipwrecked?

weird, right? but you know, we are in the low effort era. Pressing WASD needs less effort than practise a little with the new boat to get used into that deep and fun mechanics

mobile phone games arent the most profiteable platform for nothing

Lily pads, Cattails, Kelpies, and /or a Loch Ness boss fight could make for a neat biome.

Sandbars could function as islands for the sake of places for seafarers to build on, but maybe they could be partially submerged, and boats don't collide with them or are slowed down.

The bosses in the ocean are all a bit iffy at the moment, and it would be neat to see different types of bosses in the ocean, better suited to the boats.

Things like gauntlets and movement challenges could make for some interesting boss fights.

1 hour ago, JustAPineapple said:

What I'm hearing from this thread is a lot of people just dislike sailing a boat that actually feels like sailing a boat with all the risks and troubles and attention that comes with it, and would rather simply effectively walk on water like in shipwrecked?

I know, right? The sailing in DST is so much fun, 100,000x better than Shipwrecked's "sailing". It actually feels like a boat, and boats are so much fun. If the ocean didn't have DST's sailing and just let you walk around on it like Shipwrecked the ocean would suck because then instead of being a fun sailing experience you're just walking around in a vast emptiness and everything about the ocean from the way it's designed to the obstacles inside would become outdated, useless, and irrelevant. You can already walk around in much more interesting biomes to walk around in by just not sailing, so I don't know why it's such a common suggestion to let people do that in the water as well (Plus you already can do that in the water because Woodie can do it with his goose form).

My only suggestion for now would to be add or upgrade an item to pick items on the ocean. Rowing to get an item in the middle of the ocean is not a problem but at some scenarios like rowing in narrow waters or picking floating salt or cookie cutters' shells or meat between the salt formations can be impossible or tedious. 

As I said, an item could be upgraded, the sea rod already can catch ocean debris, so I think it wouldn't be too crazy if we could reel in floating objects to pick them up making floats with better accuracy more appreciated.

But I can only think on two scenarios where it could be useful, don't know if it's worth the work to update.

(By the way, why are sea rods called like that when you use them in the ocean? Canonically, has DST an ocean or has a sea?).

38 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I know, right? The sailing in DST is so much fun, 100,000x better than Shipwrecked's "sailing". It actually feels like a boat, and boats are so much fun. If the ocean didn't have DST's sailing and just let you walk around on it like Shipwrecked the ocean would suck because then instead of being a fun sailing experience you're just walking around in a vast emptiness and everything about the ocean from the way it's designed to the obstacles inside would become outdated, useless, and irrelevant. You can already walk around in much more interesting biomes to walk around in by just not sailing, so I don't know why it's such a common suggestion to let people do that in the water as well (Plus you already can do that in the water because Woodie can do it with his goose form).

allow player to "walk on water" is actually a good thing imo, it allow Klei to freely decorate the ocean without the need of worry about "does this thing affect the sailing" 

for example, iceberg is a highly request feature, but imagine how annoying it would be to have to mine down every iceberg in your way just to move 

or the Waterlogged can have more tree that closer to each other, big, small tree,....

Also, combat will feel much better,same go with the boss and the boss fight

the cookie boat is good for building a remote mini base, and I do enjoy that, but the game also want you to bring that base in to a battle, imagine bringing deerclop, bearger... to your base and fight them there lol

but of course, people will make a new boat to fight the boss but like isn't it just a bootleg version of "a water shoes" that limited your movement and healh bar? because without the building aspect, it's just a more annyoing and expensive version of "a water shoes"

if it isn't broken don't fix it, the SW boat work, people like it, it's simpler yet still have the job done

like I said before, the problem with the ocean is everything was designed around that cookie boat when the boat SHOULD be the one that being designed around the ocean

5 minutes ago, MikoFanboy said:

for example, iceberg is a highly request feature, but imagine how annoying it would be to have to mine down every iceberg in your way just to move 

You're saying this like this doesn't already happen with Sea Stacks, and even with sea stacks, all you have to do is just, move around. It's really not the worst thing in the world, and even then you can generally row between the sea stacks most of the time if you for some reason want to go through a cluster of them.

6 minutes ago, MikoFanboy said:

or the Waterlogged can have more tree that closer to each other, big, small tree,....

You can already tightly compact the trees together, I have a friend with has multiple giant trees in only the space of a few tiles. And i've got a river in my world lined up with giant trees every few units.

7 minutes ago, MikoFanboy said:

Also, combat will feel much better,same go with the boss and the boss fight

If by better you mean the same as land combat, then sure. But that's boring, why would I want combat that i've already experienced for years on land a multitude of times?

It amazes me that instead of thinking "Oh, how can we improve the combat on sea to still be unique in it's own way but feel much better?" you automatically default to "Oh lets just make it exactly like land in everyway"

For once we have a boss whose combat is like no boss we've seen before, where instead of attacking the player directly, it attacks the vehicle the player is on. I of course, am talking about the Crab King. Now, this guy sucks! But he's got a good concept going! I really like the idea of a boss that doesn't directly attack the player, so let's improve on that concept! Why make him to be like any other boss we've seen before, that's pretty boring isn't it.

ok, not be the "mr onky complaining". here is my idea to improve both the ocean and the boat

allow player to make the boat bigger and stronger (maybe by upgrading them over the time)

- what is the pro of the cookie boat? it allow structures to be built on it, create somewhat of a ocean base that can move

let improve it on that on that aspect

does anybody here know about the game ralf? 

Raft trên Steam

it would be nice if the cookie boat work like the raft in that game, it doesn't have to be able to expand into a gigantic island but it would be nice to able to expand the size of the boat for just a little bit of space 

and to be clear, that boat IS NOT BE MADE FOR COMBAT 

show how combat work then? simple, bring back the SW boat, that boat will be  the main thing for combat and exploring the mini, fully decorated ocean biome far away

something like this:
image.thumb.png.1675ff20fcbe66824de7880b7d88b5b7.png

big boat as the cookie boat btw

People may ask "why do I need the cookie boat when I can use the SW to travel?"

people tend to forget that SW boat is like Wanda, it's health alway slowly decrease, and you can only carry so much boatboat repair kit a time and doing that make you lose your slot for the new item, isn't it better to have a moving base to repair your boat instead of having to travel all the way back to the mainland to fix it, heck with the slowly decreasing health, you may not even get back to the main land in time

33 minutes ago, Hornete said:

But that's boring

oh yeah yeah, it's so boring that I enjoy the fight of every SW boss more than every ocean DST boss fight 

also, SW ocean combat also has waves and boat's health, because of that, although the combat is like the one in the mainland, but the gameplay of it doest not

you need to avoid the waves like in bullet hell game, it also affect your sanity and wetness

Archived