Ocean Content Concepts

2 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I know, right? The sailing in DST is so much fun, 100,000x better than Shipwrecked's "sailing". It actually feels like a boat, and boats are so much fun. If the ocean didn't have DST's sailing and just let you walk around on it like Shipwrecked the ocean would suck because then instead of being a fun sailing experience you're just walking around in a vast emptiness and everything about the ocean from the way it's designed to the obstacles inside would become outdated, useless, and irrelevant. You can already walk around in much more interesting biomes to walk around in by just not sailing, so I don't know why it's such a common suggestion to let people do that in the water as well (Plus you already can do that in the water because Woodie can do it with his goose form).

I think that the dislike for the ocean features comes from people using them exclusively as a means to get to the resources that the oceans provide. 

In that sense, I can see the oceanbeain pretty annoying. The main resources I see people after are the salt, the lunar island, and the twiggy nuts (rarely).

It is absolutely fine to not enjoy a part of the game, and to say that it is boring or not fun for you. 

But don't make the mistake of saying that a certain feature isn't fun or enjoyable when you aren't using it "properly" (and I hate to say that there's a correct and incorrect way to play, but it certainly seems like there is an intended way to enjoy the ocean content.) 

The oceans are designed around living there for a while: that's why the boats are big and can have structures placed on them, that's why there are so many food sources in the ocean, and why there is renewability for a lot of important resources in the ocean.

20 minutes ago, MikoFanboy said:

Here is a quick sketch of how both boat  can work together in my idea 

93E62E8A-CE52-4895-990E-0D2A1F680B83.thumb.jpeg.95d364e6965a615627c795df8a8dc195.jpeg

A6AEFD50-5BD4-4E29-8588-57C54BEF46DD.thumb.jpeg.a4c390647477d133a8d3a13518421305.jpeg

Omg I was just about to make a comment about this! I'd really love a raft type boat that attaches to the main boat for dangerous situations. Currently I make a dummy boat but its so cumbersome to have to ram it into stuff and wait for it to fall apart and pick up the pieces. 

There's just no way I'm risking my main boat.

Ocean in dont starve together already has mechanics that are adapted to their boats, now tell me

How are cookie cutters gonna work with sw boats, how are the sea weeds projectiles gonna work, how is the malbatross fight gonna work, how even the crab king fight gonna work, how are you supposed to use a pinch n winch, is klei supposed to scrap all of the boat related structures like the anchor just because some people want theit lovely sw boats?

And because someone will bring it up, klei wont just, let the current boats exist while also adding completely different boats

And that drawing is very cool mikofanboy

1 hour ago, Geo95 said:

Somewhere deep in the ruins sobbing hints are heard

Hide contents

The_Lazy_Forager.png.74c008944466aff71416b022f0e52048.png

Yes, I didn't forget about the good ole' Lazy Forager. Problem is it has a limited range to autopick objects, I may be mistaken but as far as I've seen it only picks items a tile away or less from the player's position. It's great for items in this reach but this is not always the case, anyways, thanks for mentioning it because it's worth it.

6 minutes ago, Capybara007 said:

Ocean in dont starve together already has mechanics that are adapted to their boats, now tell me

How are cookie cutters gonna work with sw boats, how are the sea weeds projectiles gonna work, how is the malbatross fight gonna work, how even the crab king fight gonna work, how are you supposed to use a pinch n winch, is klei supposed to scrap all of the boat related structures like the anchor just because some people want theit lovely sw boats?

And because someone will bring it up, klei wont just, let the current boats exist while also adding completely different boats

And that drawing is very cool mikofanboy

yes, imaging deleting a really cool mechanic to add a boring and flat one because a funny but not deep dlc got that

just moving nuts i had fun for like 200h thing that sw couldnt achieve with the entire content

I think that a small raft that could be a good idea: a slow- moving raft that you can use to cross small rivers and extend slightly past your main boat.

If there was like a tether to the main boat, and a severe penalty to going too far into the ocean while untethered (dying, and all your items end up on the water), it could solve a few of the annoyances people have with the boats.

5 hours ago, JustAPineapple said:

What I'm hearing from this thread is a lot of people just dislike sailing a boat that actually feels like sailing a boat with all the risks and troubles and attention that comes with it, and would rather simply effectively walk on water like in shipwrecked?

No- I like the DST boat, what I DONT Like is that as long as content is being designed around having to stay on this boat we can’t get any cool new biomes, mobs, weather patterns, craftables and brand new gameplay mechanics-

There’s only so much Klei can do with the play restrained to a Wooden circular platform.

Hamlet had temples I can go into and explore being cautious not to step onto any of the Hazards to get my classic Indiana Jones vibes on.

But I ask you a simple question- what can Klei do that hasn’t already been done while constrained and stuck on top of this wooden boat?

More tiny things here and there, a few unique ocean mobs- But ultimately the ocean itself is just a means of Transport from one point of Interest to Another- 

Even with the way it’s CURRENTLY designed, you just Sail to “insert location here” gather what you need and Sail back to base.

You will never be able to explore artic ice biomes, volcanic magma biomes, the back of giant sea turtle that dips above and under water periodically, or even go adventuring Underwater itself as long as you are tethered and stuck on this boat.

To clarify- I absolutely LOVE the way new DST boats work.. and throw in some rough seas, and some hostile ocean mobs and it’s pretty much “finished” 

BUT.. what I don’t like is designing updates around being stuck on this tiny wooden platform with no room to move around on what I don’t like is that it restrains us from getting truly new and unique ideas such as going to the freaking moon and fighting enemies under low gravity.

Klei can improve what you experience while on a boat such as being able to actually fish up Skittersquid like they show in their animated shorts, or by having the player pull up a Sunken Treasure and that Treasure have the same RNG chances of some hostile creature popping out when you open it.

But ultimately…. As long as your stuck on this wooden platform you can never get anything other then content designed for this wooden platform.

7 minutes ago, ArubaroBeefalo said:

you described the waterlogged biome

And people want to be able to tame the gators here and use them as Water Beefalo (I just undescribed Water Logged Biome)

Not to mention- you will take those craftables from Water Logged Area back to your main base somewhere on land- unless your playing as a character who can live forever at sea.. (which isn’t Wurt)

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

And people want to be able to tame the gators here and use them as Water Beefalo (I just undescribed Water Logged Biome)

Not to mention- you will take those craftables from Water Logged Area back to your main base somewhere on land- unless your playing as a character who can live forever at sea.. (which isn’t Wurt)

what?

We could use diving locations scattered around the ocean. Dropping a diving bell off the side of your anchored boat allows access to these locations. You could explore coral reefs, shipwrecks, and underwater ruins. All of these could have new and interesting creatures to interact with, both friendly and not. Deep water currents scattered around could cause quick movement along their lengths. Since combat in this game is all about movement, this opens up interesting fighting/exploration experiences.

Just now, Mike23Ua said:

*sigh* let me make this simple-

Any content that requires you to get OFF the boat is no longer considered Boat Content. 

to get nuts you need to be on a boat, to fight malbatross (very cool fight after the changes to rowing), CK that might not be the most fun fight alone but is so original and cool with others with the row method, farming salt (that sadly isnt strong but salt box are mandatory) and more coming

4 minutes ago, Snugrugbug said:

You don't have to get off the boat to experience the waterlogged biome

You missed my point- there were a lot of posts of people wanting to be able to tame (and ride) the grass gators like they were water Beefalo’s- IF Klei did that.. It would no longer be boating content- because you got off the boat.

3 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

You missed my point- there were a lot of posts of people wanting to be able to tame (and ride) the grass gators like they were water Beefalo’s- IF Klei did that.. It would no longer be boating content- because you got off the boat.

Yeah but they haven’t and likely won’t. Why are you bringing this up, exactly?

Ignore my drawing that looks like it was done by a kindergarten class, but Heres a quick sketch of what I’m envisioning.

402970C5-86CE-4539-B741-7E21F08E06E6.thumb.jpeg.86b1bc1c19ca359010d0ddd05645af13.jpeg

There is also This-

Spoiler

8829BB68-C79A-494A-B81F-F7A81E62E671.thumb.jpeg.ec625774674e981e30dd3d55541d996f.jpeg

So as you can see.. some of us rightfully want more “lands” instead of just “do everything from the deck of our boat.”

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Even with the way it’s CURRENTLY designed, you just Sail to “insert location here” gather what you need and Sail back to base.

Boating in DST is an entirely new experience to the game.

It has all sorts of different things to manage than the normal game, it has an entirely different control scheme, and it has entirely new mechanics based around it.

If you want "old mechanic with a new spin on it", then good for you. Klei is adding that as well, with lunacy, the farming system, the moonstorm (ew), and a lot of the newer enemies and items.

Feel free to enjoy the base content with some added ocean parts: salt and knobbly trees are useful and people who don't necessarily enjoy boating will still seek them out.

But, especially since the waterlogged update, boating has felt better than the normal gameplay to me, and it's a lovely change from something which I enjoy, but which has started getting stale. 

sailing used to be fun and chill but they added wavy jones and rock jaws and they ruined the experience, honestly the ocean was such a monkey paw wish in the way it turned out but i wont tell the developers to erase it and start anew, i would 100% be happy if they decided to stop working on the ocean content for more cave biomes or mainland stuff

5 hours ago, MikoFanboy said:

Here is a quick sketch of how both boat  can work together in my idea 

93E62E8A-CE52-4895-990E-0D2A1F680B83.thumb.jpeg.95d364e6965a615627c795df8a8dc195.jpeg

A6AEFD50-5BD4-4E29-8588-57C54BEF46DD.thumb.jpeg.a4c390647477d133a8d3a13518421305.jpeg

Sure, I wouldn't mind a bit less expensive boat without the possibility to build stuff on them. That is, if they keep their inertia and only slow down due to drag. And if you'd have to row them/steer them, just like you do with the cookies.

What i WOULD mind is the boring WASD mechanic from shipwrecked. It wouldn't even be compatible with the modern take.

The ocean has the potential to be interesting BECAUSE it has different mechanics than the land. Otherwise, it would just be re-skinned land.

Archived