Ocean Content Concepts

Maybe they could focus less on islands and more on the dark depths. For example deep sea diving would be something awesome to have. You would have to create diving gear but you have to upgrade it to reach deeper waters. Wurt would get the benefit of being able to breath underwater for long periods of time. There could be new types of water wildlife to see and capture, which could lead to new weapons and items to craft. For example you can get sea urchins then use their deadly posion to attack mobs or use them to create an antidote to heal yourself.

Befriend some dolphins, they could bring you items or help defend you against rockjaws or any hostile mobs. Lets take the treeguard spawn mechanic and use it for the ocean. If you kill too many fish or even rockjaws then there is a chance for a kraken type monster to show up, it can be a boss of sorts. On the flip side if you mantain a good balance of taking resources for one season then a mermaid type creature could show up, when that happens you could be able to visit the underwater city. Maybe they could teach you how to build a underwater base or show you a cave with treasure hidden. Even provide blueprints for new weapons, armour, structures, or healing items. They could even give you a light source for the ocean that keeps Charlie at bay.

So now for topside. Sirens, if you don't have any ear coverings on then you will be lured to your death or into an unexpected fight. When killded they could drop a musical box of sorts or their voice box, which you can make into the sirens horn. It will leave mobs in a daze state for while, leaving them vulnerable. Whirlpools, they could act like a wormhole but just for the ocean or a quick away to get to a deeper part of the ocean. A beach area, this location would be the best possible way to enter the ocean the currents would be strong verus any other spot you decide to enter at. There wouldn't be any hostile mobs there either so it would be a good place to explore first.

New food items. Sea banana, shrimp, clams, oysters, crabs,edbile seaweed, sea cucumber, are just a few things we could get from the ocean.

I've seen this idea mentioned in an old thread and I really liked it, it's about a giant turtle island with its own unique flora and fauna. It could even have it's own phenomena, such as water levels rising on a certain season (similar to Monsoon in Shipwrecked) or perhaps occasional tremors indicating the turtle is slightly moving. I'd also like to see whales added (Malbatross sized but not bosses).

3b870b245b8431b38ca4bb9fabb7df8e.png

My biggest problem with the Boats in DST is that they simply weren’t ever intended to be used by a solo player, they are an absolute pain in the backside to manage alone: this wouldn’t be nearly as much of an issue if I could hire some NPC’s to help steer/ manage the boat or more importantly: to help me combat away Ocean Threats like the Cookie Cutters (the quick undoing of a solo player and their vessel) or more recently Water Logged Strider Spiders.

Whoever thought that having a bunch of mobs attack you all at once while you have a very limited area of movement to dodge and fight them would be fun.. you have made my life miserable. 
I could also go into a long rant about controller inputs making me board the plank instead of doing some other more important thing like raising masts or dropping anchors.

But the Boats are plain and simply: Designed with the intention you will at least have one other player there with you.. and for more content to be designed in that manor- just makes playing alone a unnecessary nightmare.

These same Water-Logged Spiders I’m complaining about swarming my tiny platform could just as easily have been featured in a Shallow Land biome you could walk across on foot giving you room to actually dodge and kite them rather then being limited to my tiny little death circle.

5 minutes ago, Geo95 said:

I've seen this idea mentioned in an old thread and I really liked it, it's about a giant turtle island with its own unique flora and fauna. It could even have it's own phenomena, such as water levels rising on a certain season (similar to Monsoon in Shipwrecked) or perhaps occasional tremors indicating the turtle is slightly moving. I'd also like to see whales added (Malbatross sized but not bosses).

3b870b245b8431b38ca4bb9fabb7df8e.png

That thing exists in Ark Survival Evolved by the way.

49 minutes ago, MikoFanboy said:

The sad thing is, ocean is boring and every ocean content (although it looks nice and pretty) is boring 

and it's because of the cookie boat 

1) the boat ruining the ocean exploring experience 

let compare DST to SW,

if we ignore the waves, the ocean of SW is as empty as DST (Or even worse)

but here's the thing, with how fast you can go with the boat and you always need to control the boat to move, you will hardly have time to notice how empty the ocean is

with the waves, it's even better because you can interact with it for a speed boost or seeing as a challenge to avoid, it's fun

but in DST, the cookie boat is slow, plus you don't have to always control it to move and the control of it is kinda annoying. It make you not want to drive it at all, but just want to go to the lunar island or the new biome quickly. The long time traveling plus the not fun to drive make you start to focus your view to the surrounding, making the emptiness of the ocean pop up more. 

2) the boat ruining the boss and the bost fight

What's the different between SW ocean boss and DST ocean boss?

SW boss attack doesn't being designed around the cookie boat

combat on DST boat is suck, not only your arena is being limited by the boat, you have to alway check the boat health because the boat are designed to attack the boat, not you.

Basically

if it attack you, you feel like you're being cheated by the small space to attack

if it attack the boat, you feel like you're being cheated by the pathetic heal of the cookie boat and the annoying leaking water

you don't feel like it's your fault to die or heck, you don't feel like you have a choice 

meanwhile in SW, want t fight a boss but doesn't confidant to be able to avoid every attack? Use a tank boat

fighting arena? It's the whole ocean boi, heck, we can go on land to continue fighting if you want

boat on low heath? One simple click and it's back to go 

since you are fully in control of the boat, it's your fault to not avoid that attack, it's your fault that the boat got hit, ... and you can feel it

3) the boat make you get more frustrated when it got destroyed 

The cookie boat is designed to have stuff build on it, you will lose more when it got destroyed compared to the SW boat 

I think that making crashing less penalizing and removing a lot of the unnecessary hazards would make the DST boats so much better.

A lot of the annoyances in the ocean stem from the fact that the boats are designed to live on: the journeys you make in the boats are supposed to be longer, and the boats are supposed to be lived on across multiple days. 

Which means that an optimal boat is jam-packed full of things, a crock pot, campfire, an ice box and a bunch of chests, a pinchinwinch, an ice box, a lightning rod, maybe an alchemy engine if you're newer into the world.

Which means that crashing that boat feels really bad, and instead of being able to enjoy the full speed of the boats, since the waterlogged QOL boat changes, I've found myself resigned to using almost exclusively a driftwood oar, at least while first exploring the ocean.

5 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

My biggest problem with the Boats in DST is that they simply weren’t ever intended to be used by a solo player, they are an absolute pain in the backside to manage alone: this wouldn’t be nearly as much of an issue if I could hire some NPC’s to help steer/ manage the boat or more importantly: to help me combat away Ocean Threats like the Cookie Cutters (the quick undoing of a solo player and their vessel) or more recently Water Logged Strider Spiders.

While I disagree with the combat point (with the exception of rockjaws, because I find boats to often be too packed to navigate their attacks), I can absolutely agree with the first. I personally never use sails or anchors, instead using almost exclusively the driftwood oar.

4 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

They said we would get a "chill" biome. And we got it.

"chill"

"an unpleasant feeling of coldness in the atmosphere, one's surroundings, or the body."

"make (someone) cold."

https://www.google.com/search?q=chill+definition&oq=chill+definition&aqs=chrome..69i57j0i512l2j0i22i30l7.1666j1j7

What's so "chill" about the Waterlogged biome then?

13 minutes ago, ALCRD said:

They did from what i recall before Waterlogged was a thing.

Didn’t- they said “chill” and people jumped to conclusions. The large trees that let you cool down is the “chill” part. But..

The difference between DST/Shipwrecked was that if something chased after you, you had the option to fight it.. or run away from it. And with DSTs boats.. you DONT get that option- your stuck on a tiny little circular platform of doom and it absolutely sucks.

So where do you go from there? As you can see with this thread some people want more uses for this highly annoying terrible multiplayer designed boat platform that require using the boat platform throughout the designated biome (Water-Logged) But some of us just want the boat to be used as mostly a means of transportation to new land biomes while also encountering mobs/hazards/resources they will encounter while out at sea ON THE WAY IN BETWEEN THOSE ISLAND TRIPS.

So now we go back to square one: where do we go from here? Does Klei continue to design content around these multiplayer focused nightmare vessels? Do they just turn the vessel into a means of transport to new islands with the occasional “at sea” mob or “thing to do”? OR do they add new boat types into the game including one designed for 1 player that can ferry a second player as passenger but then run the risk of people just building THAT BOAT and completely ignoring using the Cookie Platform again?

12 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

The difference between DST/Shipwrecked was that if something chased after you, you had the option to fight it.. or run away from it. And with DSTs boats.. you DONT get that option- your stuck on a tiny little circular platform of doom and it absolutely sucks.

What boat combat do you have trouble with? 

24 minutes ago, HumanBean150 said:

What boat combat do you have trouble with? 

Most notably: Water Logged Spiders, & Cookie Cutters.

Cookie Cutters wouldn’t be As much of a problem if they didn’t Respawn so fast, if you could kill them out one at a time and have some time to gather the resources in the area before they respawn I wouldn’t feel “cheated” when they Respawn before I can escape the area their design is that if enough of them get on your boat they will “stun-lock” you into place, preventing you from ridding your boat of them before carving holes into it- perfectly fine IF you didn’t get dead center of the biome farming resources and then they all Respawn.

Water Striders (found in Water Logged Biome) are At Sea versions of spider nests, and when these spiders swarm up and board your boat platform your stuck on that platform with them with nowhere to go.

For a game that rewards the player for knowing when to fight and knowing when to abandon all hope and run- this boat platform gives you very little chance to abandon all hope and run.

For the most part: DS/DST is a franchise where you die to your own lack of knowledge or mistakes, you take a risk you weren’t prepared to handle or you just have a really really bad day & you die, but WHEN you die, you also know you died because you didn’t run far enough away, this boat gives you no option to run far enough away, you put on tons of armor, grab a Hambat or bat-bat or dark sword, and you fight off large swarms of spiders that board your boat.

I don’t mind Ocean content, I don’t mind RockJaw Shark as he is just one enemy, heck I wouldn’t even mind 3-4 water striders but that’s not the case here- try 8+ of a mob boarding your boat and you’ll quickly see the problem solo players have with boating content.

If this thread is about OCEAN CONTENT then anything and everything in the Ocean including new land biomes counts, if this thread is about BOATING CONTENT where everything you do will involve staying on the boat at all times- Then the thread needs to be Re-Named to Boating Content.

Simple: less confusion, easy to understand.

But for the record- I hate Boating content that was clearly designed with the intention you’d have other players to help.

23 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

If this thread is about OCEAN CONTENT then anything and everything in the Ocean including new land biomes counts

eh i don't really count islands imo don't really add anything to the ocean imo its just another part of the mainland but you gotta make a pancake to reach i think actually adding content to the ocean itself is a lot better 

The lunar forces have an island that arrived at the start of RoT: how would you feel about a shadow island that rises from the depths to signify the start of RoT season 2? I'd love to see a new island, plus it would be fun to get Klei's take on the sunken city of R'lyeh.

I've always wanted icebergs. Would be very useful, for example, when you latejoin a server after the ice melted and there's no ice anywhere to make flingos. Simply walking around is way easier than sailing so it would still be a bad way to get ice, so I think that would balance its year-round accessibility and not be overpowered.

18 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

They would clutter the ocean and Icebergs would probably have an annoying regenerative mechanic similar to the ones on land. That would make it really tedious on top of already clearing sea stacks that don't let you zoom around the ocean until you've cleared them. 

I was almost ready to suggest isolating them to the northern part of the ocean, but I've seen multiple times where the main island is almost touching the northern border. 

Maybe they could just let us make a new "bath bomb" type item that lets you freeze ponds and then mine them. Maybe using ice gems in the recipe.

2 minutes ago, HowlVoid said:

They would clutter the ocean and Icebergs would probably have an annoying regenerative mechanic similar to the ones on land. That would make it really tedious on top of already clearing sea stacks that don't let you zoom around the ocean until you've cleared them. 

No moreso than salt stacks, sea weed and great tree's, assuming they were implemented as a mini-biome. Throw in some ice sheets with pengulls on them and it could be quite a nice little self-contained biome. Not particularly useful, but adds character to the ocean.

1 minute ago, QuQuasar said:

No moreso than salt stacks, sea weed and great tree's, assuming they were implemented as a mini-biome. Throw in some ice sheets with pengulls on them and it could be quite a nice little self-contained biome. Not particularly useful, but adds character to the ocean.

Those are annoying too... But they contain items you can't get anywhere else (sea stacks don't regen). 

Archived