[Poll] On Forumites Starving Together

dont mouth when your talk is full  

150 members have voted

1. 1. Do you play with other members of the Klei Forums?

2. 2. If yes for question 1, how often?

• I always play with fellow forumgoers.
    • I sometimes play with fellow forumgoers.
    • I rarely play with fellow forumgoers.
    • I answered no for question 1.
  3. 3. If yes for question 1, has your experience been pleasant?

4. 4. If you answered No for question 1, would you be willing to play with any given fellow forumgoers specifically?

I used to do it a lot, but now it's very, very rare. It's very rare I host or join public games in the first place, though, but every once in a while I bump into a forum name I recognize. I don't usually say anything, because I doubt anyone would really recognize me, so.

Although I bumped into a former DS streamer/content creator in Team Fortress 2 once, that was cool. They seemed pretty amazed to be recognized in the middle of a Mann Vs Machine match too :p

I would like to play together and try some advanced strategies for 2-3 people I come up with, unique character synergies and just see what other people prioritize and how they play. But I live in east Europe, so servers usually have 50+ ping, often 80-100+, and I like to kite things, do risky stuff.

Also I like to use mods, QoL ones in my opinion (for example, lazy furnace or lazy explorer buff, forced triple mac tusk and no second decidious biomes), but I know alot of people play without mods on principle, don't like them, or in general would be lazy to check usual 10+ I have enabled.

Then there are preferred game settings that could just not match. For example, I prefer classic resources, no boons and no touchstones, but a lot of people seem to like juicy berries, gekkos, etc. I enjoy long seasons more then default ones (I don't think it's easier since one needs to prepare for both cold and rain in the first autumn, have only 1.5 day to kill/use Bearger before winter and kill Deerclops on day 35), but that directly harms potential team since Deerclops's eyeballs and loot stash loot are rarier.

I also use specific base design oriented towards space-efficient placement of structures around ice-flingomatic and on boat, so I either would build my own base/boat, force myself to suffer in oasis, or it will be lights out server. In general it seems like players with various playstyles and skill levels prefer oasis to base, but I prefer Dragonfly desert and military biome in the ruins, so I probably would play alone most of the time even if it's "together" server.

3 reasons why I don't play with other people that much.

1. I live in southeast Asia.

2. I'm extremely conscious about my voice, I'm not like this irl for some reason.

3. No one plays in southeast Asia, you'd be lucky if you interviewed 1 billion people and even 4 of them knew about don't starve.

46 minutes ago, Cheggf said:

I have seen someone named Guille playing as Wendy with the skin in Guille's profile picture a couple of times on public servers. Does that count?

Yeah. Probably.

4 hours ago, Pig Princess said:

I would like to play together and try some advanced strategies for 2-3 people I come up with, unique character synergies and just see what other people prioritize and how they play. But I live in east Europe, so servers usually have 50+ ping, often 80-100+, and I like to kite things, do risky stuff.

Also I like to use mods, QoL ones in my opinion (for example, lazy furnace or lazy explorer buff, forced triple mac tusk and no second decidious biomes), but I know alot of people play without mods on principle, don't like them, or in general would be lazy to check usual 10+ I have enabled.

Then there are preferred game settings that could just not match. For example, I prefer classic resources, no boons and no touchstones, but a lot of people seem to like juicy berries, gekkos, etc. I enjoy long seasons more then default ones (I don't think it's easier since one needs to prepare for both cold and rain in the first autumn, have only 1.5 day to kill/use Bearger before winter and kill Deerclops on day 35), but that directly harms potential team since Deerclops's eyeballs and loot stash loot are rarier.

I also use specific base design oriented towards space-efficient placement of structures around ice-flingomatic and on boat, so I either would build my own base/boat, force myself to suffer in oasis, or it will be lights out server. In general it seems like players with various playstyles and skill levels prefer oasis to base, but I prefer Dragonfly desert and military biome in the ruins, so I probably would play alone most of the time even if it's "together" server.

Basing in military? Can't rooks spawn in there?

To be honest, after i played with the friend i mentioned, i haven't ever met anybody on the forums on a server except probably Wendy C, but there were plenty of different wendys naming themselves Wendy or Wendy Carter anyway so i suppose that doesn't really count.

And now that i'm not playing DST i suppose the chances of me meeting someone on servers is nil.

10 hours ago, ShadowDuelist said:

I’d love to play with all and any of you. The problem is that outside of my region (South America) my ping sucks and I can barely kite anything. But I was thinking in look you up a bit more.

Even INSIDE of South America my ping sucks, definitely feel you

On 11/2/2021 at 7:29 AM, Pig Princess said:

You may wanna try then the "Mighty Beard" Endless dedicated vanilla server or the "Don't Fight Together" dedicated pubs (3 Survival, 1 semi-public [needs Discord admittance] Endless, and 1 Forge - all with some QoL mods like Show Me, World Cleaner, Repair-Combine, DFT Buttons, certain actions announcers), since mentioned servers are hosted in Central-East area of EU. Also they have nice communities with regulars playing almost all time (at least during region's daytime) and some forumites go there too. For me there isn't any server, even around my area, that goes under 70 ping, hence I've adapted to a constant lag (plus inconsistent rubberbanding, but that's another story related to my very-old building's faulty cable system).

On 11/2/2021 at 7:29 AM, Pig Princess said:

..I prefer Dragonfly desert and military biome in the ruins, so I probably..

On said servers, let's say you will have "competition" for those locations; ye, quite the number of regulars base in Ruins, Archives, Wilds and more. Still, communal base tends to be in PK or Oasis indeed.

Personally I have encountered some people from KLei forums in pubs, usually in KLei official survival servers, over time in the years since I play DST (and I've been playing from Beta/2015 onward). Barring 2 cases (both of which were griefers-in-full-swing, and both griefed on community servers of all places, from where they were promptly banned the moment they did their "very smart" deed, with one of them begging afterwards on to be let back in - pretty amusing stuff from a bystander's pov), all experiences ranged from neutral to pleasant, given I seldom interact via chat and relegate to a simple social observer, except cranking some contextual joke(s). And because vast majority of my DST playtime was/is pubs, I don't shy from playing with anyone - except known griefers, of course, even if they solemnly now beat their chests with fleeting promises of "past shenanigans days are over": better safe than sorry, as always.

pretty much the only game mode i play is forge and im not sure how the overlap between regulars on the forum and forge players are...

there was a time or two where people recognized me from the forums or vice versa tho ^w^

Spoiler

I imagine we were all forced into a building to starve together. 

Then we have to eat each other and you have to pretend to be a forum poster you're not in case you have a bad rep. 

I wonder who would get eaten first...

One of the main problems on console is that there's no dedicated server, so what ever world we choose to play on would need that person to be on all the time. I don't trust pubs and I work too hard in this game to have a world that only lasts several hours. 

On 11/2/2021 at 12:41 PM, SecretPizzaMan said:

Basing in military? Can't rooks spawn in there?

They can, but I try to memorize where their spawn point is and find station far away enough from them. Sometimes there are no rooks at all aside from a single double rook room, often there are only 1-2, so they are rarely a problem for me. As for broken clockworks, I try to be careful with ones that can spawn rook and lure them away from stations.

On 11/2/2021 at 5:06 PM, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

You may wanna try then the "Mighty Beard" Endless dedicated vanilla server or the "Don't Fight Together" dedicated pubs

I know about them and played on DFT (survival and endless, I even met you and we added each other to friend lists), but all DFT servers are 65+ ping, "Mighty Beard" is 100+ for me (116 right now). I remember playing on "Hound Huggles" and "Spiders and Such" Klei official servers with a ping around 30, but recently they are 50+ (or even more) ping too or not present at all. Can it be a problem with quality of my internet connection?

On 11/2/2021 at 5:06 PM, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

all with some QoL mods like Show Me, World Cleaner, Repair-Combine, DFT Buttons, certain actions announcers

While I myself am an avid mod user, I don't like the fact that one can't have more than one boat at these servers, + I suspect that this mod doesn't work as intended.

There is a story behind that. I once played on DFT4 Endless, built boat base and did Pearl's quests, but when I was rearranging stuff before disconnection, I accidently attacked sea weed with mouse, so I died almost immediately, boat sank. I respawned at portal, built second boat to retrieve stuff and when I reached the place I was killed by 2 terrorclaws (I couldn't fight them adequately near sea weeds because of risk of me accidently attacking sea weeds, and I didn't want to craft second set of rain protection, which was silly decision), I died, boat remained with majority of retrieved stuff, everything was still ok. Then I placed 3rd boat which also was second currently existing in the world boat with me as an owner. "Catbot" destroyed my other boat, problem was when I came there on the 3rd boat, there was nothing left. No remnants of boat, no retrieved resources, including Pearl's pearl and beefalo bell with beefalo bonded to it. Beefalo respawned on land, but wasn't trying to reach the bell, remained skinned, didn't accept new bell, which also suggests that bell was just deleted, as well as pearl.

That is why I created my own dedicated server (without password, "Bundle Wrap Content") which I run on weekends, but right now only I and 1 other person joined. I wonder if it's because of ping for others (again, already not west/central Europe, but still not Russia, not much players in the middle, I think, + time zone might be an issue), presence of mods (things like camp security, rots rot, etc., total 11 if I remember correctly) or world settings (Klaus, Bee Queen and Dragonfly on "more", Ancient Gateway on "fast", wildfires on "off", starting resource variety on "highly random", no boons and no touchstones). If world settings are an issue, then I wonder which ones I should change. I usually play with wildfires "on", but decided for pub it would be better to turn them off to not restrict people to oasis/caves in summer (also sea weeds smoldering and killing player because of that is just not reasonable); boons add content only for first joiners and it feels unfair for others (walking cane, morning star, moggle boon, etc.), so I disabled them; touchstones are ok themselves, but are surrounded by pig heads which have the same issue as boons, + cave touchstones are rarely usable without preparation (so one still needs meat effigies, life giving amulets, etc.). I have no issues with people getting random useful stuff myself, but boons lower consistency of the strategies; it's my problem with them though, so I probably shoud leave on default this kind of stuff. I also have triple muc tusk forced via mod and consider forcing more traps in the world (from dev graveyard and reed trap to winter/summer trap).

23 hours ago, Pig Princess said:

..I know about them and played on DFT (survival and endless, I even met you and we added each other to friend lists..

Oh, I guess is you, A. Sneaky, sneaky: a nick here, another there, heh - but is understandable, in general for various reasons. I have other Steam friends using for these forums manifold denominations as well, in fact I reckon am of the few going by same appellation pretty much everywhere (partially laziness, partially because am quite straightforward).

..all DFT servers are 65+ ping, "Mighty Beard" is 100+ for me (116 right now). I remember playing on "Hound Huggles" and "Spiders and Such" Klei official servers with a ping around 30, but recently they are 50+ (or even more) ping too or not present at all. Can it be a problem with quality of my internet connection?

I would call - in my case - those pings "fairly acceptable connectivity" since I never get < ~70. Yet, more-than-likely is an issue of connection quality indeed. If your ISP branched into old cabling systems - as most ex-communist apartment-buildings have (the so-called "matchbox blocks" soviet era brutalist-design edifices for "working class" residences/neighborhoods) - it will be faulty, rubberband-y and with various innate speed limitations, no matter what your ISP promises/strives for.

There is a story behind that. I once played on DFT4 Endless, built boat base and did Pearl's quests, but when I was rearranging stuff before disconnection, I accidently attacked sea weed with mouse, so I died almost immediately, boat sank. I respawned at portal, built second boat to retrieve stuff and when I reached the place I was killed by 2 terrorclaws (I couldn't fight them adequately near sea weeds because of risk of me accidently attacking sea weeds, and I didn't want to craft second set of rain protection, which was silly decision), I died, boat remained with majority of retrieved stuff, everything was still ok. Then I placed 3rd boat which also was second currently existing in the world boat with me as an owner. "Catbot" destroyed my other boat, problem was when I came there on the 3rd boat, there was nothing left. No remnants of boat, no retrieved resources, including Pearl's pearl and beefalo bell with beefalo bonded to it. Beefalo respawned on land, but wasn't trying to reach the bell, remained skinned, didn't accept new bell, which also suggests that bell was just deleted, as well as pearl.

Hm. Had no idea DFT server bots have such intrusive actions, like actually deleting player structures as boats. I know about the "one boat per user" rule - their admins did some performance tests and concluded containers on boats strained servers the most (even after Waterlogged's boat-optimizations update) - still was clueless bots enforced it in-game by removing additional crafts. Good to know for future. As a retroactive suggestion for what its worth: after your initial accident and boat-loss, you should've went into their discord to ask for a rollback on account of loosing all your boat's stuff plus adjacent loot. From my (albeit limited) knowledge, admins/mods there are understanding and will help in such circumstances.

That is why I created my own dedicated server (without password, "Bundle Wrap Content") which I run on weekends, but right now only I and 1 other person joined. I wonder if it's because of ping for others (again, already not west/central Europe, but still not Russia, not much players in the middle, I think, + time zone might be an issue), presence of mods (things like camp security, rots rot, etc., total 11 if I remember correctly) or world settings (Klaus, Bee Queen and Dragonfly on "more", Ancient Gateway on "fast", wildfires on "off", starting resource variety on "highly random", no boons and no touchstones). If world settings are an issue, then I wonder which ones I should change. I usually play with wildfires "on", but decided for pub it would be better to turn them off to not restrict people to oasis/caves in summer (also sea weeds smoldering and killing player because of that is just not reasonable); boons add content only for first joiners and it feels unfair for others (walking cane, morning star, moggle boon, etc.), so I disabled them; touchstones are ok themselves, but are surrounded by pig heads which have the same issue as boons, + cave touchstones are rarely usable without preparation (so one still needs meat effigies, life giving amulets, etc.). I have no issues with people getting random useful stuff myself, but boons lower consistency of the strategies; it's my problem with them though, so I probably shoud leave on default this kind of stuff. I also have triple muc tusk forced via mod and consider forcing more traps in the world (from dev graveyard and reed trap to winter/summer trap).

I believe I've seen you playing on your server - don't remember noticing it was dedicated and not personal - as I did regarding some of my other Steam friends, and thought nothing of it: sometimes (or many times) people fancy going through solo adventures. I do recollect seeing the "mods icon" on - and for me personally, usually, that's a deal breaker. I like vanilla - or if is modded, 1 macro-mod that brings interesting aspects to the game, for example [DST] Legion. Or 2-3 mini mods, like spice on the good ol' DST "main dish" - let's say Koalefanta Proboscidea or Whispering Wisespy. Even 3-4 micro-mods akin Pumpkin Patches and Pugalisk Item Grinder - neat lil useful mods, employing DS/T art and/or one closely-resembling it. Faithful as-possible representations in looks & spirit - that's what I desire from DST mods. Ones that aren't making game necessarily easier or harder, but fun and appealing - surely enough an assessment with inherent bias/subjectiveness. At opposite pole for yours truly are anime mods whose art "isn't even trying" to look DS/T-ish, most-often-than-not overpowered compared with anything from game, and mechanics totally out-of-place. Yes, for advanced players most Steam Workshop mods, or mods in general, are a big deterrent from joining servers. Bons or minor WorldGen modifications from default - if not targeted at making game easier - don't wight-in too much. Still by far the biggest problem is the "???" Ping Issue for personal and dedicated servers alike - and I reckon that's the case with your dedicated server too, since all pubs with mentioned problem will list at bottom of server roster and almost-nobody joins them.

2 hours ago, x0-VERSUS-1y said:

Oh, I guess is you, A. Sneaky, sneaky

I reckon am of the few going by same appellation pretty much everywhere

It's not about hiding the link between accounts for some reason. I created my steam account much earlier than forum one, and at that time I was too lazy and went with just part-of-name-part-of-surname type, then added some people to friend list; when I created forum account I decided to do something more creative, DS/T-related and telling something about my preferences; I didn't edit steam name since I thought it would be strange for someone who added me as A-r suddenly get popups with completely new name; moreover, having every account named after pixel noblepig seems a bit too much for me (even though I really like Wilba).

If your ISP branched into old cabling systems

That's probably the reason. I guess it means if I'm host everyone else will also be affected by connection limitations, but I hope it's not too bad.

their admins did some performance tests and concluded containers on boats strained servers the most

Since I'm usually building boat as minibase I always have 6+ chests and 2+ tin fishing bins, and I wonder how harmful in terms of performance it is. Also I doubt people usually build multiple boats with multiple containers on each one, it's either 1 boat with everything, or boat bridges/"arenas" with just wooden pancake, lightning rod and anchor (optional), so I doubt 1 boat rule helped these servers. Or am I wrong?

you should've went into their discord to ask for a rollback

I probably should have since pearl - an irreplaceble item - was lost, but I didn't think about it in time. I saved the world before everything went so wrong, but at that point I felt bad about people joining and playing after the world was saved (around 10 in-game days).

I do recollect seeing the "mods icon" on - and for me personally, usually, that's a deal breaker

anime mods whose art "isn't even trying" to look DS/T-ish, most-often-than-not overpowered compared with anything from game, and mechanics totally out-of-place

That's why I myself am very picky when it comes to mods, especially for public server, and I generally share your preferences + a few things which are QoL in my opinion (like lazy furnace, protection from griefers or "never miss messages" until recently).

I remember people suspected me in "griefing" on DFT4 because of giving almost all trinkets to pig king and saving too few for Antlion since I didn't defend myself, but I was just going to the caves and back to refill lightbulb supply, catching some spores, harvesting lesser glow berries and picking some minerals after trading with pig king. In this case "never miss messages" mod would be so helpful and could have saved a lot of time and trouble compared to vanilla feature (at that time). On my server I had this mod until recently.

Or "Beefalo Tamed No Poop": at least I won't worry about someone or me not picking manure in time if it was dropped between dwarf star and something flammable at base. I think it's worth to add even though it changes beefalo's resource balance.

"Less placement blocking" is also a good example with all those birds dropping seeds on land and water.

So it's a shame people usually avoid modded servers because of certain prejudice forming due majority of mods being low quality/uninspired/not fitting.

Thank you for letting me know, that's probably the major reason. Since I usually see ping normally on servers including mine, I didn't even think about it and it seems like very impactful client side issue.

4 hours ago, Seero said:

why would I play with a Wurt main

Should be obvious but, Wurt doesn’t need Eyebrella or Tam’O she can actually go around without those things living off her passive abilities which allows someone who needs those things more to get first priority.

as far as playing with other people goes: I have serious DTA issues (don’t trust Anyone) If I’m building a huge and pretty base I will likely password lock my rooms and only let in people I KNOW I can trust, but if I’m just getting started or only have a small easily replaceable base: I’ll open the flood gates to play with others.

Unfortunately most of the people on these forums who are even interested in playing with me at all are on different platforms.

15 hours ago, HowlVoid said:

Hide contents

I imagine we were all forced into a building to starve together. 

Then we have to eat each other and you have to pretend to be a forum poster you're not in case you have a bad rep. 

I wonder who would get eaten first...

Hey, look I think the way I type is pretty unique, so I'd probably be fine

On another note, seriously don't be afraid to ask me to play, I have way to much free time and no friends to starve with.

When i began my world with Canis on that fateful year, i wanted to make a server for all the forumites to join - and only he joined.

Now, although i'm too busy to maintain a server., let alone play consistently, I hope the people here who have expressed their desire to play with other people can come together and make the Klei Forumite server i used to dream of.

(Edit: Now that i recall. Spatch, Boy Syrup, my brother and Spaartan also joined but only for a while. Canis was the guy who stuck around long term.)

13 hours ago, GetNerfedOn said:

When i began my world with Canis on that fateful year, i wanted to make a server for all the forumites to join - and only he joined.

Now, although i'm too busy to maintain a server., let alone play consistently, I hope the people here who have expressed their desire to play with other people can come together and make the Klei Forumite server i used to dream of.

That's... actually kinda wholesome.

I do wish that you'll get to see your desired server one day, GNO.

Unfortunately I also don't have time to play dst every day

Archived