October QoL - Beta

2 minutes ago, Frosty_Mentos said:

it already does that if you don't taste-test the food

as i said it need more purpose for people to make it .. if its show all possible recipe new player can try any possible way to get the food stated in cooked book instead of just record what ever u have been cook/eat and blindly or read wiki for these things . . even for older experienced player cooked book is not even like achievement to complete . when i play dst for first time its sucks that i need to eat a lot of meatball not knowing any other possible dish without checking the wiki 

1 minute ago, Well-met said:

many people seem to mistake "quality of life update" with "content update"

the pause feature is huge

yeah definitely its massive 

maybe i feel like this way because its not been long since the past update and my brain takes this update as bug fix for the previous update idk 

Can i make a suggestion?

since we are talking about bee queen's crown , wouldn't be nice if when using the crown the bees inside the  beebox don't get agro on us upon harvesting them ? just as spider queen hat makes spiders neutral to us

Or maybe making them neutral on spring ....

Keep up the good job klei , thanks for this QOL!

Edited by pepe61
  • Like 44
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Well-met said:

the pause feature is huge

qft - especially for consoles who could really use a pause while they look at the map, or manage their inventory as they can't move while doing either of those things...

• Like 5
  • Big Ups 1

lets go we nerved the cook book crafting recipe for no good reasons whats so ever because it was soo much needed i guess because makin it whitout a machine was that much needed like why would you want to make a cookbook whitout a base in the first place? even warly dont realy need that in the early days when you dont have much differend things to work whit

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Walk the Plank said:

Really like these changes and pause is very nice, although if you rarely ever play alone this update won't do much for you aside from having a use for extra crowns. Still great tho! 

I think the changes to pick/axe and premier gardeneer hat are really worthy additions too. Premier garden hat is now very easy to craft with 4 fragments rather than the very ludicurous 4 thulecite requirement it had while pick/axe finally became a worthy tool, as well as adding battle spear to its toolset. Beyond being a juggernaut of a tool with 800 choppings and 268 pickings, it now has 800 hits as a battle axe (according to discord), arguably the best weapon in the game for dealing with daily small fries.

I still dislike the cookbook changes though, the crafting recipe makes no sense without the papyrus. If the aim is to make it scienceless, adding reeds to the recipe should be the right course of action, else it is basically magic.

34 minutes ago, pepe61 said:

Can i make a suggestion?

since we are talking about bee queen's crown , wouldn't be nice if when using the crown the bees inside the  beebox don't get agro on us upon harvesting them ? just as spider queen hat makes spiders neutral to us

Or maybe making them neutral on spring ....

Keep up the good job klei , thanks for this QOL!

That is a great suggestion, it'd be consistant with the Bone Helm and Celestial Crown neutralizing Nightmare creatures and Gestalts respectively, making creat thematical sense and adding an extra utility to it. Maybe the angering bees upon harvesting can stay but killer bees shoukd definitely become neutral to the wearer imo, like the Beefalo Hat and Spiderqueen Hat

• Like 4

I totally dig deconstructing the BQ Crown. There was this one server where someone hoarded a full krampus sack of wrapped items, with quite a bit more of bundling wraps. Everyone ended up griefing the bee farm just so they could get honeycombs. And what did we have chests full of? Crowns! This is a huge boon for late-game players. A steady amount of honeycombs, and the crowns even release 4 bees to help us further.

Then there's the Pick/Axe buff. No one asked for it, but we always needed it. It's still probably not viable outside of Thulecite mining, but at least it'll last a lot longer now.

• Like 1

Usually I'm excited for item buffs, but the pick/axe buff just didn't do it for me. It's still best used when you find it from an ornate chest and it got even better at it. Ok, it's got double durability now. It costs 4 gold nuggets, 8 twigs and 2 thulecite. You can just make 2 of the same tool with those resources. The only thing you're getting by adding 2 thulecite is +33% efficiency bonus. If making it before used to be "not worth it ever", then now it's "still not worth it, but you're gaining something out of it now at least". There is no reason to go out of your way to make an axe and pickaxe, combine them, spend 2 thulecite, all just for a tool that has the same durability as 2 tools and chops/mines slightly better. Which can only be made on a crafting station deep in the ruins by the way. This item is meant for convenience, yet it's the most inconvenient thing ever.

When I first saw people saying it's got 800 uses. I got excited thinking it's a top-tier pickaxe now, but no, it's just 800 uses as an axe, from 400. 800 uses pickaxe is just too good to be true.

I still can't imagine any situation where you'll need both pickaxe and axe at the same time (unless you're clearing a half-petrified forest, though you still need a shovel). This is such as an old item and I feel like it was made just for a pun. A better multi-tool item would be pickaxe/hammer or axe/shovel.

Rant over.

I appreciate other changes though. Especially the way the pause is implemented, which is the highlight of the update.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, zarklord_klei said:

Messages sent while a player is traveling between the caves or forest will be received when the player finishes loading.

Not to discredit any of your previous updates, but this is in my opinion quite literally the single best update for the game ever released just due to this one change. Game has always been a ton of fun but the biggest issue with it was that, for people who are social on public servers like me, going to and from the caves really messes with that. Not any more, since this QoL has fixed the #1 issue and added several other top community requested features like a pick/axe durability buff and deconstructable bee queen crowns.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Thieverpedia said:

Then there's the Pick/Axe buff. No one asked for it, but we always needed it. It's still probably not viable outside of Thulecite mining, but at least it'll last a lot longer now.

Many people asked for a Pick/Axe buff. I think with this buff, Pick/Axe is now a competitor against Moon Glass Axe in terms of tool efficiency. 

• Like 1

Thanks for listening to the suggestion of bee queen crown being deconstructable, I appreciate this a lot. However, I don't think it should contain bees - even if all natural bee hives in the world have been destroyed along with the bees, new ones are steadily available from indestructible bee box found on pearl island. It's unnecessary to force people to deal with the bees for every bee queen crown they deconstruct when they won't need 4 bees at most (to craft a single bee box to get more bees) if they don't want to go with pearl island/tumbleweeds option. It also diminishes pearl's island likely unintended but nice purpose of being a bee sanctuary. Instead I suggest to increase amount of honeycombs to 6 and remove everything else from the recipe.

It would also be awesome to have bone helm/bone armor deconstructible as well. And spider hats - those are already useless and lying in chests/ground forever, but if you could get at least 20 silk from deconstructing one as trade-off for getting decent amount of silk immediately instead of having to spend time on killing spiders and collecting unnecessary monster meat/glands (most of the time you need silk, not monster meat or glands) then you'd probably prefer that to feeding it to lureplant.

• Like 2

The Pick/Axe change hasn't improved the tool in a meaningful way, and I'll still use other tools to get the job done.

For actually chopping a ton of trees, Glass Axes are far superior at 2.5x effectiveness over 1.33x effectiveness. They can also be crafted on the go by carrying moonglass + celestial orb rather than having to take a trip to the ruins.

There's a few more use cases for mining, none of which are appealing with the Pick/Axe as is.

First, mining statues in the ruins. If you're doing this with powcakes, the 1.33x effectiveness change only removes 1 swing. It requires just as much gold to craft 1 Pick/Axe as 2 mining picks which have nearly as much durability. Except, opulent pickaxes can be crafted on the go already, and it's far easier to just make those rather than run to an APS or carry multiple tools.

Next is mining ice. This is already a quick task which doesn't warrant going to the ruins for, especially a 1.33x effectiveness increase. If you have the thulecite handy to make Pick/Axes, then you already have access to nearly infinite gold via fused wires from ruins.

Finally is clearing petrified forests. Doing this with powcakes, they are already 3 tapped with a regular pickaxe. And 1.33x isn't that much of an improvement either with or without powcakes. Again, probably easier to just craft an extra pickaxe or two rather than take a trip to the ruins and carry around multiple Pick/Axes.

Given that there's already a strong alternative for chopping in the Glass Axe, this seems completely fine. No reason to use the Pick/Axe for that. For mining, there's just not enough incentive.

So, how can Pick/Axe be fixed for mining? Two things:

1. Make it able to be prototyped and crafted from the tools page
  2. Increase mining effectiveness to 2x

These are changes that would actually make it worth using. I think this can be justified thematically as well since having a "harder" mining pick as a result of being made from thulecite could allow it to go through softer materials like rock much more easily.

As a separate note, it would be amazing if we could get thulecite hammers with much more durability, also able to be prototyped. They aren't magic, it's just thulecite and sticks and grass/rope.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Now that the game can actually be paused, this would be a perfect area to add the Slanty Shanty into the game. I really really like decorating houses in Hamlet: think of all the new skin options players could buy if pausing the game placed them into a Slanty Shanty.. free to decorate, add furniture, and then when your ready to return to the world & actual gameplay just unpause.

It’s still a pause Menu, and the world outside this house still pauses, except it’s an interactive pause menu.

It may ultimately be too much programming to add, and in the end not even be worth it- but I thought I’d bring it up anyway just as an idea.

476E7DED-26C5-4100-8F97-3518499D0B06.thumb.png.664f7b809856cb7f615f5070f37affb9.png

THANK YOU KLEI I CAN FINALLY PAUSE THE GAME!!!

Kinda curious what that “other thing” you had planned for October was though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zarklord_klei said:

Changed the ingredients for crafting the Cookbook and it no longer requires a Science Machine to prototype.

I understand making it more accessible, but the change doesn't make any sense to me b/c you still need a science machine to make a crockpot for your recipes, the very thing this cookbook records lol.

The only character this wouldn't apply to is Warly cause he spawns with his own crockpot but I'd say that can be easily rectified by adding the cookbook to be one of the starting items that Warly starts with, no?

Otherwise I think the recipe was fine before like @Sunset Skyesaid.

Edited by lakhnish
Best speller there is
  • Like 18

53 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Now that the game can actually be paused, this would be a perfect area to add the Slanty Shanty into the game. I really really like decorating houses in Hamlet: think of all the new skin options players could buy if pausing the game placed them into a Slanty Shanty.. free to decorate, add furniture, and then when your ready to return to the world & actual gameplay just unpause.

It’s still a pause Menu, and the world outside this house still pauses, except it’s an interactive pause menu.

It may ultimately be too much programming to add, and in the end not even be worth it- but I thought I’d bring it up anyway just as an idea.

476E7DED-26C5-4100-8F97-3518499D0B06.thumb.png.664f7b809856cb7f615f5070f37affb9.png

THANK YOU KLEI I CAN FINALLY PAUSE THE GAME!!!

Kinda curious what that “other thing” you had planned for October was though.

yeah can we keep the whole hamlet town building to hamlet? otherwise whats the point of playing that dlc. it also really just doesnt fit dst. if you want shanties, there are mods that do that already

Edited by Baark0
  • Like 2