October QoL - Beta

Can we have some changes for the Houndius Shootius? Since the introduction of catapults it seems way easier to "mass produce" them rather than farming for the Shootius, and they have AoE, which Shootius doesn't. Also would be great if we can Move/Decon it, since it's pretty bad when you place them wrongly and can't do anything besides killing it or leaving it there. Anyway good update. :)

Edited by Kyno
  • Like 18
  • Health 2

20 minutes ago, Baark0 said:

yeah can we keep the whole hamlet town building to hamlet? otherwise whats the point of playing that dlc. it also really just doesnt fit dst. if you want shanties, there are mods that do that already

Xbox players don’t have mods, and I have no idea how/why this suggestion impacts you in any way, it’s literally just an interactive pause menu but with placeable decorations that can be bought/earned in game.

Similar to the Chao Garden in Sonic Games, it does not impact actual gameplay in any way shape or form, it just gives you something small to do outside of the main gameplay.

And since there’s a Curio Cabinet with Curio Collector Mini-Games I literally don’t see how this could be any WORSE than that..

You pause the game, it puts you in a pretty house your free to decorate, the world outside your house pauses like being actually paused, when you exit the house- it returns you to the exact same location, time of day and with whatever monsters were on your screen when you originally pressed pause.

Complicated? Maybe, More game coding then it would ever be worth? Probably.. but an idea Other games have already used? Totally.

Edited by Mike23Ua

1 hour ago, lakhnish said:

I understand making it more accessible, but the change doesn't make any sense to me b/c you still need a science machine to make a crockpot for your recipes, the very thing this cookbook records lol.

The only character this wouldn't apply to is Warly cause he spawns with his own crockpot but I'd say that can be easily rectified by adding the cookbook to be one of the starting items that Warly starts with, no?

Otherwise I think the recipe was fine before like @Sunset Skyesaid.

This. And making cookbook immediately available also makes the cooking tab visible before it's supposed to(at least in my opinion)

• Like 6

4 hours ago, zarklord_klei said:

In Game Chat:
Changes:

• Announcements and Skin Announcements will now show up in the chat queue instead of at the top of the screen.
  • Announcements and Skin Announcements will now show up in the lobby chat window.
  • Chat now has a history of the last 100 messages, and can be scrolled to view those messages.
  • Chat history will persist between the character select screen, forest, and caves.
  • Messages sent while a player is traveling between the caves or forest will be received when the player finishes loading.

Oh. my. god
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

Xbox players don’t have mods, and I have no idea how/why this suggestion impacts you in any way, it’s literally just an interactive pause menu but with placeable decorations that can be bought/earned in game.

Similar to the Chao Garden in Sonic Games, it does not impact actual gameplay in any way shape or form, it just gives you something small to do outside of the main gameplay.

And since there’s a Curio Cabinet with Curio Collector Mini-Games I literally don’t see how this could be any WORSE than that..

You pause the game, it puts you in a pretty house your free to decorate, the world outside your house pauses like being actually paused, when you exit the house- it returns you to the exact same location, time of day and with whatever monsters were on your screen when you originally pressed pause.

Complicated? Maybe, More game coding then it would ever be worth? Probably.. but an idea Other games have already used? Totally.

1. because it makes no sense that when the game is paused you're suddenly transported to some random house

2. if youre pausing the game and youre still at your computer/console, youre probably browsing youtube or some other social media on a phone/2nd monitor, and if you're not at your computer/console, then you're probably taking a bathroom break, defeating the purpose of the house whats the point of making the pause menu a house decorating simulator when you could instead go play hamlet or, yknow, play the game that is currently paused. and to counter your argument of "i cant play multiplayer hamlet", how would klei make the housing system work with multiple people? they all build in the same house? assuming they use hamlet sized rooms that's not a lot of space for 6 people to use, and if everyone gets their own house, then just go play single player hamlet.

3. if klei did add this, making people have to pay for ways to decorate their house would be ridiculous. that'd basically make the whole concept of the house pointless unless klei gave people some skins to start with, but even then, why would you want to spend money on a pause menu instead of skins that can actually be used in game

this whole idea just clashes way too much with dst's core premise: a wilderness survival game. hamlet can get away with the whole house and town building stuff because it's it's own separate dlc and there are actual cities. dst less so since youre quite literally stranded in the middle of some forest in a foreign world.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gi-Go said:

You can deconstruct hive hat, chat better and pause game. Is that it? I mean, awesome changes but kinda underwhelming. 

No this is the substantial teased QoL!

on a more serious non-joking note: I think Klei had and probably still has- plans for something else far more exciting.. they just didn’t have it ready in time so they’re gonna take a bit longer working with it.

And that’s honestly fine by me, the folks at Klei are now gearing into their busiest time of year (back to back holiday events, Wolfgang rework, whatever else they have planned..) 

Just off this list alone: Hallowed Nights, WintersFeast/Wolfgang Rework, Year of the Tiger not to mention outside of game stuff: like Holiday sales, restocking the Klei store, re-announcing the Krampus sale

And also somewhere along the way there’s still a missing 3rd game content update that we have no details about somewhere on the schedule unless it got canceled?

But for what it’s worth, I don’t see Global Pause and Chat Log as a Substantial QoL, perhaps there will be more added to it as the beta goes on into October?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gi-Go said:

You can deconstruct hive hat, chat better and pause game. Is that it? I mean, awesome changes but kinda underwhelming. 

Well it's on you for expecting something uncharactetistically big for a QoL update, they are meant to be small updates that tweak some game mechanics and items. March QoL, August QoL and May QoL that came before it in the last couple of years were not comparatively bigger than this, but thanks to their collective contributions the game is much better and smoother now with:

Quick drop feature, affordable marble suits, easily craftable rabbit earmuffs, seasonal starting items, chests and ice boxes that can be accessed by multiple players at the same time, affordable tail o 3 cats, seperate world generation and toggleable world settings, unique Wilson and Webber beards, repeatable actions holding mouse, the cookbook, affordable cat caps, favorite foods, compendium, boss statues that fon't require the boss loot, affordable insulated pack etc.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, SinancoTheBest said:

Well it's on you for expecting something uncharactetistically big for a QoL update, they are meant to be small updates that tweak some game mechanics and items. March QoL, August QoL and May QoL that came before it in the last couple of years were not comparatively bigger than this, but thanks to their collective contributions the game is much better and smoother now with:

Quick drop feature, affordable marble suits, easily craftable rabbit earmuffs, seasonal starting items, chests and ice boxes that can be accessed by multiple players at the same time, affordable tail o 3 cats, seperate world generation and toggleable world settings, unique Wilson and Webber beards, repeatable actions holding mouse, the cookbook, affordable cat caps, favorite foods, compendium, boss statues that fon't require the boss loot, affordable insulated pack etc.

True, true. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeklo said:

I'm no modder, but I figure pausing is a pretty serious change? Like, probably took some serious integral work to get functional.

Sure I'd love some more balance tweaks, but this is pretty substantial.

Yes BUT is the current QoL big enough to have needed a Beta phase? Take the last QoL as an example: I Understand WHY that had a Beta Phase because Klei literally gave you the options to turn on and off many of the games features, to reduce or increase the amount of mobs that spawn in nearly every area of the game, and to be able to turn back ON and revisit (at anytime you want) old limited time event content like Year of the Carrat or now: Summers Cawnival.

I repeat my previous statement: I don’t see a pause button and Chat log as qualifying as a Substantial sized QoL needing a Beta-Phase, especially when compared to the previous QoL.

BUT: Klei had plans to do “another thing for October” and it’s not quite ready so they’re giving us this, it’s completely understandable, I would much rather get a delayed but working thing, then get something rushed that doesn’t work.

1 minute ago, Mike23Ua said:

Yes BUT is the current QoL big enough to have needed a Beta phase? Take the last QoL as an example: I Understand WHY that had a Beta Phase because Klei literally gave you the options to turn on and off many of the games features, to reduce or increase the amount of mobs that spawn in nearly every area of the game, and to be able to turn back ON and revisit (at anytime you want) old limited time event content like Year of the Carrat or now: Summers Cawnival.

I repeat my previous statement: I don’t see a pause button and Chat log as qualifying as a Substantial sized QoL needing a Beta-Phase, especially when compared to the previous QoL.

BUT: Klei had plans to do “another thing for October” and it’s not quite ready so they’re giving us this, it’s completely understandable, I would much rather get a delayed but working thing, then get something rushed that doesn’t work.

I mean I can absolutely see adding a large function like a Pause to a previously unpausable environment to have a whole plethra of bugs to discover. Beta's aren't for people to get a new glance at content really, they exist to test and weed out issues.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zeklo said:

I mean I can absolutely see adding a large function like a Pause to a previously unpausable environment to have a whole plethra of bugs to discover. Beta's aren't for people to get a new glance at content really, they exist to test and weed out issues.

I guess so but I was at the very least expecting this second QoL to add the newer Water Logged biome choices to the world Gen settings menu’s, Pause button is awesome though- But I’ve got a really bad feeling it’ll cause it’s OWN problems when it comes over to consoles just like how Xbox had Exclusively to just the Xbox Console that highly annoying & quite Dreadful Tragic Torch skin crash that froze up and then completely powered off your console.

(really glad that got fixed by the way..)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

I don’t see a pause button and Chat log as qualifying as a Substantial sized QoL needing a Beta-Phase

It's the pause button. That's no tiny thing to add, and you mentioned yourself that it may cause some nasty bugs. That sucker needs a beta phase.

And yes it is a huge QoL. Huge enough that it's one of only three server-side mods I use, and of those three, it's the one that makes me truly scared of the idea of console DST because dang you really gotta shut down the whole server just to go make manure without losing your entire save. How awfully inconvenient. 

• Like 4